Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    To be fair, that could have been a legitimate interest. We all know how much he likes to travel.
    Bazinga! Actually, I think you are being a bit unfair. It isn't so much that he likes to travel, it is the only way he can score.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I know! I'm surprised we didn't see him in London competing in the high jump, because based on what I've seen, he has to be a descendant of Dick Fosbury.
    Oooh. Fun game! With his theatrics and ability convey agony never before experienced in the history of the species if someone invades his "personal space," it seems he belongs on the soccer pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Bazinga! Actually, I think you are being a bit unfair. It isn't so much that he likes to travel, it is the only way he can score.

Oooh. Fun game! With his theatrics and ability convey agony never before experienced in the history of the species if someone invades his "personal space," it seems he belongs on the soccer pitch.
    Although I hate to be the voice of reason, I think we all know that Psycho T needed to be added to the Men's Basketball "team." At a minimum, he would have improved our offensive efficiency by limiting the need for all those "bail out threes" vs. Spain. But alas, Coach K had to do it his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    The A.D. prefers to look forward rather than look back

Bubba Cunningham, hired in October to replace Baddour, said he did not believe there was a rift between academics and athletics at North Carolina. ... ...
    You just can't fool the really sharp ones.

Of course there was no rift between the academic department and the athletic department, it is called unity of purpose - an element of criminal conspiracy.

Of course, there was an absolute disregard for "academics" - but that would be academic to Bubba.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Nice to know that caught in the middle of a scandal, UNC didn't bother to hire a new athletic boss with clean hands.
    Incredibly smart hire, you want a guy in there with experience in these matters!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Actually, Hansbrough talked several times about taking Swahili as his foreign language.
    After listening to Hansbrough reading Chicken Little, I thought that English was his foreign language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JieHmC9DH8

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    "Cunningham said the academic issues, including an internal review revealing that athletes registered for 54 no-show classes in African and Afro-American studies, were now behind the program."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/sp...tml?ref=sports

Might be some wishful thinking in that last statement
    Might also be some unwitting truth, as in, those 54 - and who knows how many more - were in fact "behind" the program, its very backbone and supporting foundation, one might say, for some fball and bball fellows.

"Enrollments"

The word "enrollments" as used when UNC self described the amount of people taking suspect classes can mean "people" not only "class spots" right? Is it possible that UNC decided to use this word the same reason they threw out that (3%) number when describing the basketball programs involvement. It seems that 54 classes would involve more than 686 students and it would make sense if students were actually taking multiple suspect classes. I thought that some of the initial investigations were based on these classes being over enrolled...that doesn't seem to jive with the < 13 students/class being reported (54/686). If that is the case then nearly 100% of the football and basketball team took these classes.

Mike DeCourcy, a heavyweight columnist, weighs in --

Much of the column warns against a jump to conclusions and making any rash pronouncements. He, like others, compares Carolina's situation to Penn State, saying --

It is essential North Carolina commence the sort of comprehensive self-examination Penn State undertook in regards to the Jerry Sandusky scandal. For all the pain and embarrassment that resulted from the Freeh report, Penn State is much closer to recapturing its soul today than Carolina, which has seen the details of this academic fraud bleed into the media for roughly a year without taking a single bold action in response.
    Mike D then makes a point I have not heard made elsewhere -- that no matter what the investigation turns up about the legitimacy of the grades/classes athletes got in the AFAM department, that Peppers; who got Ds or Fs in 11 of 27 courses taken at UNC; had no business playing 2 sports at Carolina.

It is difficult enough to justify {a student with Pepper's grades} playing one sport at the collegiate level, but adding a second to his load was egregious. What was coach Bill Guthridge’s justification for accepting Peppers onto the basketball squad in 1999-2000—and Matt Doherty's decision to do the same the following season—other than the toughness and rebounding he added to the Heels?

That is the core of the scandal revealed by the transcript release: That Guthridge would accept Peppers onto the basketball team under these circumstances and that his superiors would approve it.
    -Jason "at this point, I cannot imagine that the UNC brass or the NCAA can avoid launching a serious investigation" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Mike DeCourcy, a heavyweight columnist, weighs in --

Much of the column warns against a jump to conclusions and making any rash pronouncements. He, like others, compares Carolina's situation to Penn State, saying --

Mike D then makes a point I have not heard made elsewhere -- that no matter what the investigation turns up about the legitimacy of the grades/classes athletes got in the AFAM department, that Peppers; who got Ds or Fs in 11 of 27 courses taken at UNC; had no business playing 2 sports at Carolina.

-Jason "at this point, I cannot imagine that the UNC brass or the NCAA can avoid launching a serious investigation" Evans
    Fwiw, Jay Bilas has been all over this on Twitter lately. Which carries a lot of weight, I think, even with many of the Carolina faithful.

Jason "at this point, I cannot imagine that the UNC brass or the NCAA can avoid launching a serious investigation" Evans
    Does this sound like a man worried that anyone is about to launch a serious investigation?

a quote from Roy

From an article in today's Greensboro "News & Record" Roy: "I challenge anybody to tell me one thing we've done wrong."

Pardon me, but I'm speechless at this. Talk about "Carolina Way" hubris. I have no words.

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    From an article in today's Greensboro "News & Record" Roy: "I challenge anybody to tell me one thing we've done wrong."

Pardon me, but I'm speechless at this. Talk about "Carolina Way" hubris. I have no words.
    I mean how arrogant can the guy get? Did he not learn anything from watching Boeheim insert his foot deeply into his mouth?

That's all State fans need... an added "challenge" from ol' roy. Me thinks this is about to get u-g-l-y. Mmmmm, mmm!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I mean how arrogant can the guy get? Did he not learn anything from watching Boeheim insert his foot deeply into his mouth?

That's all State fans need... an added "challenge" from ol' roy. Me thinks this is about to get u-g-l-y. Mmmmm, mmm!
    All of the UNC guys in my office are taking the exact same approach. "The investigation is over. The NCAA is finished and not coming back. This is just noise about academic issues that has nothing to do about football and certainly not about basketball. There is nothing there, so we are not worried at all. Just State fans and local media trying to make something about nothing"

Another good one was "We know the Peppers transcript was planted by a State or Duke fan that hacked into UNC's website, and the only thing that will happen with that is said fan getting in trouble with the law for posting a student's transcript which is illegal."

So that is the local reaction at least amongst UNC folks I interact with daily. The Roy Williams comments are mind boggling. What did they do wrong? Well Roy, academic fraud is a fairly serious offense. You have players that took fraudulent classes receiving fraudulent credits, and those credit kept at least one basketball player eligible when otherwise he would not have been. That was in a final four year. So it is possible said player is ruled ineligible which means vacated wins. Any other challenges Roy??

Edit: Forgot to add that another UNC response in my office today was, "this easy class stuff goes on everywhere including Duke, so if there is an issue, all schools would have to be penalized, which certainly will not happen". "Duke being private is the only thing that saves them from having all their dirty laundry like this aired, but we know it happens there too"

Sigh...

... -Jason "at this point, I cannot imagine that the UNC brass or the NCAA can avoid launching a serious investigation" Evans
    I understand unc has appointed a committee to investigate:

$(KGrHqIOKpUE3tk)2uq+BOCS7V2)fg~~0_3.JPG

The more I hear from the hill, the more I am reminded of a quote from Gone With the Wind. Rhett Butler, speaking to Scarlett, tells her "You are like the thief who isn't at all sorry he stole but is terribly sorry that he got caught." How asinine can they be to believe that their actions should have no repercussions? I realize that this is the attitude of many in the world today. I also realize that this is "the Carolina way" but come on!

For the legal folks on this board, "Would the person who leaked the transcript be covered by the North Carolina, Whistle blowers law?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    All of the UNC guys in my office are taking the exact same approach. "The investigation is over. The NCAA is finished and not coming back. This is just noise about academic issues that has nothing to do about football and certainly not about basketball. There is nothing there, so we are not worried at all. Just State fans and local media trying to make something about nothing"

Another good one was "We know the Peppers transcript was planted by a State or Duke fan that hacked into UNC's website, and the only thing that will happen with that is said fan getting in trouble with the law for posting a student's transcript which is illegal."

So that is the local reaction at least amongst UNC folks I interact with daily. The Roy Williams comments are mind boggling. What did they do wrong? Well Roy, academic fraud is a fairly serious offense. You have players that took fraudulent classes receiving fraudulent credits, and those credit kept at least one basketball player eligible when otherwise he would not have been. That was in a final four year. So it is possible said player is ruled ineligible which means vacated wins. Any other challenges Roy??

Edit: Forgot to add that another UNC response in my office today was, "this easy class stuff goes on everywhere including Duke, so if there is an issue, all schools would have to be penalized, which certainly will not happen". "Duke being private is the only thing that saves them from having all their dirty laundry like this aired, but we know it happens there too"

Sigh...
    I also find it amazing that he would challenge folks to find something they did was "wrong" - which implies a total lack of any ethical standard. Even if all these investigative efforts should turn up nothing that is technically illegal, you still have to question their motives and wonder what sort of broken moral compass they have been using (and apparently still are) to guide their decision making. If steering a kid to a bogus set of classes (even if the classes somehow meet some bare minimum legal standard) where the kid miraculously gets just the right number of B's to keep him eligible is not "wrong" then what is? Ol' Roy is just asking for it, and I can't wait for reporters to start heckling him. And when he says he knew nothing about it, it's only going to get better!

I also find it amazing that he would challenge folks to find something they did was "wrong" - which implies a total lack of any ethical standard. Even if all these investigative efforts should turn up nothing that is technically illegal, you still have to question their motives and wonder what sort of broken moral compass they have been using (and apparently still are) to guide their decision making. If steering a kid to a bogus set of classes (even if the classes somehow meet some bare minimum legal standard) where the kid miraculously gets just the right number of B's to keep him eligible is not "wrong" then what is? Ol' Roy is just asking for it, and I can't wait for reporters to start heckling him. And when he says he knew nothing about it, it's only going to get better!
    Did you also notice how Ol Roy got defensive again, when he said that he has some strong opinions, but he can't voice them because people will come after him with everything from a bow and arrow to a bazooka? (wait, I have to wipe the tears from my eyes)... OK

Some how with all this mess going on, Ol Roy turned the topic to how it is going to affect him (unfairly)... he has an amazing level of self absorption.

It is a shame that UNC has muzzled Roy, it would be priceless to watch him go off on one of his rants...

Well, if they did something wrong, it's not as serious as an earthquake in Haiti or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Well, if they did something wrong, it's not as serious as an earthquake in Haiti or anything.
    Or, lord knows, a 16-15 season. That would be a catastrophe.