Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    I apologize if my posting of the Wall Street Journal link indicates to you or anyone else that I agree with the arguments of the op-ed -I do not and certainly have no interest in rehashing the events of 2006 - 2007. Given my posts in the Sandusky thread I think it is pretty clear what my view is on how Penn State's administrators handled the Sandusky mess

I posted the link to illustrate that no matter how reprehensible the conduct by another academic institution you can always count on someone in the media to contend that it pales in comparison to what has occurred at Duke

Sorry you apparently took offense
    Oh, I was talking about the authors of the column. Sorry about not being clear.

Quite a few people are having a great deal of fun with this, but where is this ultimately going? Reporters can keep writing new stories every week or so, but what are the results? Those of us here and the folks over on the different Wolf Pack sites will make their posts and get all worked up, but to date nothing actually is being done about this scandal.
    Why is it that a state funded school is not being investigated by the States Attorney General, especially considering all of these claims that are surfacing? Is this such a political hot potato that no sane politician would even suggest looking into this matter, especially during a major election cycle?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Quite a few people are having a great deal of fun with this, but where is this ultimately going? Reporters can keep writing new stories every week or so, but what are the results? Those of us here and the folks over on the different Wolf Pack sites will make their posts and get all worked up, but to date nothing actually is being done about this scandal.
    Why is it that a state funded school is not being investigated by the States Attorney General, especially considering all of these claims that are surfacing? Is this such a political hot potato that no sane politician would even suggest looking into this matter, especially during a major election cycle?
    You definitely have a point, but the pressure is building, albeit at a slow pace. Were this going on in Wolfpack land, Cleveland St would have already been handed the Death Penalty.

I am definitely skeptical, but at some point, the NCAA is either going to have to do something, or Emmert will come under a lot of fire. Especially given the statements he made with the Penn St. ruling.

It will be interesting to see if Sporting News article and the release of the Peppers transcript will stoke the fires super hot, or if they drift off into the wind having no real impact.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 08-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.

I’m not sure any type of sanctions will come as a result of this scandal. Maybe UNC is doing some type of internal investigation, but if so they are being quite secretive about it. What I’m seeing is the time proven, “hunker down in the bunker” mentality being exhibited by UNC. Powerful institutions love to play this game and more times than not they get away with it.
    As we saw with the Butch Davis phone records, news agencies are being forced to use lawyers to get their hands on this info. All of this takes time and money, which UNC has quite a lot of to fight back with. They can play the stonewall game until this blows over the head of John Q. Public. Unless some bigwig pushes this matter, this will all pass away. I may be dead wrong, but I doubt it.

Priceless

Comments per ESPN's Julius Peppers story:

Commenter #1: "I just drove through Chapel Hill and got a B- in AFAM Studies."

Replier: "If you had stopped for wine and cheese, you would've gotten an A."

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I’m not sure any type of sanctions will come as a result of this scandal. Maybe UNC is doing some type of internal investigation, but if so they are being quite secretive about it. What I’m seeing is the time proven, “hunker down in the bunker” mentality being exhibited by UNC. Powerful institutions love to play this game and more times than not they get away with it.
    As we saw with the Butch Davis phone records, news agencies are being forced to use lawyers to get their hands on this info. All of this takes time and money, which UNC has quite a lot of to fight back with. They can play the stonewall game until this blows over the head of John Q. Public. Unless some bigwig pushes this matter, this will all pass away. I may be dead wrong, but I doubt it.
    I would agree with you in most cases, but NCSU students/fans/boosters aren't letting it go, and that may make this case different from one depending solely on the indignation of John Q. Public. We might want to have their collective back on this.

It is interesting to note the tenacity with which NCSU's base is going after it. It goes a ways to proving an old UNC-CH gf of mine right when she once tried to put Duke in its place (via me) by saying, "You may think we're your rival, but you're not even our #1 rival." Me: "Who is your #1 rival, then?" Her: "State!"

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    It is interesting to note the tenacity with which NCSU's base is going after it. It goes a ways to proving an old UNC-CH gf of mine right when she once tried to put Duke in its place (via me) by saying, "You may think we're your rival, but you're not even our #1 rival." Me: "Who is your #1 rival, then?" Her: "State!"
    I'm sorry, Carolina is no longer our rival...didn't you get the memo? We simply wish to return over 20 years of "Amphibious", "If you can't go to college go to State", "Moo U", etc. We merely want to see Carolina live up to the ideals they claim to strive for.

In other news, dirtydankane.com happens to be registered to Carl Carey, Jr...Peppers college advisor/sports agent/unc professor.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I'm sorry, Carolina is no longer our rival...didn't you get the memo? We simply wish to return over 20 years of "Amphibious", "If you can't go to college go to State", "Moo U", etc. We merely want to see Carolina live up to the ideals they claim to strive for.
    Well, this was 20 years ago, so that's about right.

Still, that college/go to state cheer is a great old chestnut...

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Still, that college/go to state cheer is a great old chestnut...
    It's funny, most State fans are proud of the fact we are less selective with admissions, but tougher to graduate from than other Universities.

In other news, dirtydankane.com happens to be registered to Carl Carey, Jr...Peppers college advisor/sports agent/unc professor.
    Yup, Carl Carey, the academic adviser ("take a few more AFAM classes, Julius") turned agent is... well... not smart.

Did Peppers agent create a website to smear reporter covering the UNC academic scandal?

-Jason "these idiots cannot get out of their own way... hysterical" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It's funny, most State fans are proud of the fact we are less selective with admissions, but tougher to graduate from than other Universities.
    State is an excellent institution, I take back all the mean things I said in my youth.

And I'll give credit where credit is due -- when they had a problem back in the day, they cleaned house -- including a well-loved coach who had brought them a NC. Can anyone seriously see Carolina having this same level of integrity?

Stay on their tails, my Pack brothers and sisters. Someone has to deflate the hot air balloon that is "The Carolina Way"

if you can't go to college...cheer

That cheer, and "start the tractor," were always fun when I was in Cameron in the early 1970's.

I suppose opposing fans have the same fun with the U. of New Jersey jokes.

However, as an NC native, from the the farming hills at that, I have always been a bit uncomfortable with those cheers. As with the U of NJ stuff, they betray an unbecoming ignorance and a petty prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Well ... The Wall Street Journal went there

The WSJ ran an op-ed by Stuart Taylor and K.C. Johnson that compared the reaction of Penn State favorably to how Duke handled the lax scandal...

In recent years, two prominent American universities have experienced catastrophic leadership failures that exposed young people in their charge to horrible abuse. The failures grew out of a lack of courage to resist the demands of powerful special interests. As Penn State tries to reform its campus culture, what can it teach Duke? ...

It's possible that Penn State will fail to rehabilitate its currently tarnished image. But, unlike Duke, at least the school's leaders appear to understand that, in responding to scandal, a university must position itself on the right side of history.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...512167490.html
    Are these guys nuts? Or is simply that they are lazy and/or cannot read. Oh, I get it, they are probably Penn State or UNC grads. If I were the head of the WSJ, this would be a firing offense.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Are these guys nuts? Or is simply that they are lazy and/or cannot read. Oh, I get it, they are probably Penn State or UNC grads. If I were the head of the WSJ, this would be a firing offense.
    I believe their point was that Penn State actually went and hired an independent third party--Louis Freeh--to investigate the University's actions. Where is the independent review of Duke's actions in the lacrosse case? And I don't mean the Bowen-Chambers whitewash. Faculty that absolutely abused lacrosse players because of who they were have never apologized, and have been rewarded with promotions. The professor who failed Kyle Dowd simply because he was a member of the team was never admonished. I'm sorry, but our University still has refused to face up to the discreditable treatment of the lacrosse players for--let's admit--a crime that never occurred. And our President has never said what is was that they did that "was bad enough." Whatever their motivation, Penn State has faced its culpability. Duke, not so much.

I think there is no appetite in Chapel Hill or within the legislature to investigate the academic shenigans at UNC. That is unfortunate. But I think the racial overtones are such that no academic wants to get involved, and politicians are scared. I always thought UNC was a fine academic institution (even if they have no taste in their choice of blue), but the continued stonewalling is seriously jeopardizing that standing.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I think one of the authors was a Duke grad IIRC. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I believe their point was that Penn State actually went and hired an independent third party--Louis Freeh--to investigate the University's actions. Where is the independent review of Duke's actions in the lacrosse case? And I don't mean the Bowen-Chambers whitewash. Faculty that absolutely abused lacrosse players...
    See, this is why you always pay attention to your context.

I believe their point was that Penn State actually went and hired an independent third party--Louis Freeh--to investigate the University's actions. Where is the independent review of Duke's actions in the lacrosse case? And I don't mean the Bowen-Chambers whitewash. Faculty that absolutely abused lacrosse players because of who they were have never apologized, and have been rewarded with promotions. The professor who failed Kyle Dowd simply because he was a member of the team was never admonished. I'm sorry, but our University still has refused to face up to the discreditable treatment of the lacrosse players for--let's admit--a crime that never occurred. And our President has never said what is was that they did that "was bad enough." Whatever their motivation, Penn State has faced its culpability. Duke, not so much.

I think there is no appetite in Chapel Hill or within the legislature to investigate the academic shenigans at UNC. That is unfortunate. But I think the racial overtones are such that no academic wants to get involved, and politicians are scared. I always thought UNC was a fine academic institution (even if they have no taste in their choice of blue), but the continued stonewalling is seriously jeopardizing that standing.
    I am sorry, but there is just no comparing the gravity of Penn State University's actions to affirmatively cover-up child rape with the arguable missteps at Duke surrounding Crystal Mangum's false allegations.

Apart from comparing apples and oranges with an obvious axe to grind, that Wall Street Journal OpEd is total garbage for the simple reason that it nowhere acknowledges the role of a now-disbarred prosecutor in bringing what he had reason to know were false charges. Discussing certain faculty's members' rush to judgment without even mentioning that they too were duped by a bad-faith prosecutor is dishonest.

A Gregggg Doyel coumn worth reading?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-the-reckoning

Not really, just a "me too" column advocating unc to do the right thing, including pulling down a couple of banners from the Smith Center.

Mentions that two of the "no show" AFAM classes had one basketball player as the sole enrollee. No way that player should be eligible - those wins -at least - should be gone.

Do we recall that there was no crime committed at Duke (well except for the idiot Duke faculty members who piled on with no evidence at all), but a huge obscene crime at Penn State. Some difference!