Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Looks like UNC posted a "test transcript" on how they keep players eligible...happens to be of Julius Peppers. Lots of good stuff in there. A lot of poor grades outside of AFAM, a lot of B's inside. One summer session he's needs an A to stay eligible, and that's the only class he ever receives in A in...LOL! Should be a fun Monday for everyone. Read more at Pack Pride.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=9224321

...and my new personal hero, Dan Kane, drops a nice hammer on the story.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/iteam/...julius-peppers

Information wants to be free
    Posting Peppers' transcript may have been intentional - for all we know, this transcript might be the best one they could find from the past football decade. After all, he's probably more literate than Dexter Manley was after "finishing" college.

Matt Hayes rips new ones for UNC and NCAA President Mark Emmert, respectively:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...caa-penn-state

Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post

Just wow.
    Saw that and was about to post it myself. Scathing indeed.

Meanwhile, in Chapel Hill, N.C., the entire university is complicit in a systemic charade of bogus, no-show classes for athletes; a scheme that—you’re gonna love this part—the NCAA missed while investigating North Carolina over the past two years.

Fortunately, the man with the Big Stick has the Raleigh News & Observer doing the heavy lifting, exposing the real threat to the foundation of intercollegiate athletic sports. Or as my athletic director friend said, “Pandora’s Box.”
    Emmert was last seen squirming a few weeks ago when asked a few tough questions by Bob Ley of ESPN. I'm not sure what his appetite is at this point for another use of the "big stick" as Hayes calls it.

Just wow.
    From 2007-2011, an internal review at UNC revealed 54 no-show classes in the Department of African and Afro American Studies where student-athletes were given grades for fake classes. The university says two department heads were responsible for the academic fraud, but the News & Observer says evidence suggests athletes were steered to classes by academic counselors assigned to the athletic department.

Think about that: the athletic department and a department of academics conspiring to keep students eligible so they can play games. ...

... we haven’t heard squat from [Emmert} about what will become the worst infractions case in the history of college sports. And that was before the latest mind-numbing details released Monday by the News & Observer: the gross case of academic fraud could go back a decade—and include North Carolina’s legendary men’s basketball program. ...

But there’s no avoiding academic fraud; no escape from what it exposes and how it jeopardizes the lifeblood of a multi-billion dollar, tax-exempt industry.
    This isn't mere hyperbole ... there's some meat on this bone

Just wow.
    Lot of anger out there in the college football-industrial complex.

Anyone else amused that Peppers "earned" a "D" in "Applied Ethics" which led him to take the "no show" course in the summer to stay eligible?

I would comment on the irony, but he also got a "D" in English Comp and Rhetoric, so I feel that might be piling on.

Don't worry, I can already hear UNC response...

Hi,

UNC, UK, name your school that dislikes Duke, the answer is always the same, "Why are you picking on us? They do this at Duke, why don't you go after them?" I know, it sounds ludicrous, but every time some school is found doing something wrong that is almost always the knee-jerk reaction. I was happily surprised folks at Penn State had the decency not to try the, "It's happening at Duke too" card when Sandusky was under fire.

GO DUKE!

Not gonna lie...

I have MAD respect for the bulldogs over at PackPride who refuse to let this issue fade away..
    I am having a FANTASTIC time laughing at UNC getting caught with their britches down.

This is an evergreen. It keeps on giving. Never gets old Never gets tiring..

If it blows up and tarnishes the ACC image, discourages ND from their alleged partnership with the league..
    I have to say it was worth it for THIS much fun to kick the Heels around.

He got an F in "World Regional Geography".

Michael Jordan is ashamed.

The Sporting News article is about as loud as one can get in demanding action against UNC by the NCAA. I cannot imagine that Mark Emmert and his staff have not read it by now. The only question is if they will continue to just sit on their hands or if they will actually try to challenge mighty UNC.

The thing that may worry Emmert is that, unlike Penn State, UNC is likely to fight back. Penn State knew they were in a no win situation, so they took their punishment and played nice (though up until this weekend, some Penn State Board members were trying to challenge the NCAA's punishment). But, I suspect that UNC will fight the NCAA as much as they can if Emmert tries to hand down more sanctions here -- especially if those sanctions include the hallowed basketball program.

You know, ordinarily I would say that Carolina would be wise to get out in front on this thing and get an independent commission to look into everything and come up with systems and recommendations that would ensure this kind of academic fraud never happened at UNC again. That would be the smart thing to do... but the last time a school did an independent investigation, the findings of that investigation were used to hand down some of the most severe penalties the NCAA has ever levied. In other words, I doubt UNC will be hiring Louis Freeh to look into their little AFAM fraud problem.

-Jason "this ain't going away for Carolina... too many columnists and investigative reporters are all over it at this point" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "this ain't going away for Carolina... too many columnists and investigative reporters are all over it at this point" Evans
    You think so? I'm still not sure there's enough of a market for an embarrassing expose of UNC to keep this story going long enough to crack.

Peppers' current agent

I just heard WRAL-TV report that Julius Peppers' current agent is his former academic advisor at UNC.

Is that even possible?
    "Goddess of wisdom"

Answering my own question:

Attempts by WRAL to reach Peppers’ agent, Carl Carey, went unanswered Monday. Carey was Peppers’ academic advisor at UNC before becoming his professional agent.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college...tory/11423038/
    "Goddess of wisdom"

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Anyone else amused that Peppers "earned" a "D" in "Applied Ethics" which led him to take the "no show" course in the summer to stay eligible?

I would comment on the irony, but he also got a "D" in English Comp and Rhetoric, so I feel that might be piling on.
    Would this transcript explain why the "Doctor" Peppers nickname never caught on?

Quote Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
    I just heard WRAL-TV report that Julius Peppers' current agent is his former academic advisor at UNC.

Is that even possible?
    Yes. He is also the agent that Nyangaroo hired LAST SUMMER (2011) to teach a summer school course. Oh what a tangled web we weave.

If the NCAA ever gets the guts to pursue this and lay down the appropriate punishment, the rest of the Triangle might just burst with schadenfreude. Heck, we might even need a new geometric term for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Yes. He is also the agent that Nyangaroo hired LAST SUMMER (2011) to teach a summer school course. Oh what a tangled web we weave.
    Yep, I believe that too has been known for quite some time, but never acted on by anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I was happily surprised folks at Penn State had the decency not to try the, "It's happening at Duke too" card when Sandusky was under fire.

GO DUKE!
    Well ... The Wall Street Journal went there

The WSJ ran an op-ed by Stuart Taylor and K.C. Johnson that compared the reaction of Penn State favorably to how Duke handled the lax scandal...

In recent years, two prominent American universities have experienced catastrophic leadership failures that exposed young people in their charge to horrible abuse. The failures grew out of a lack of courage to resist the demands of powerful special interests. As Penn State tries to reform its campus culture, what can it teach Duke? ...

It's possible that Penn State will fail to rehabilitate its currently tarnished image. But, unlike Duke, at least the school's leaders appear to understand that, in responding to scandal, a university must position itself on the right side of history.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...512167490.html

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Well ... The Wall Street Journal went there

The WSJ ran an op-ed by Stuart Taylor and K.C. Johnson that compared the reaction of Penn State favorably to how Duke handled the lax scandal...

In recent years, two prominent American universities have experienced catastrophic leadership failures that exposed young people in their charge to horrible abuse. The failures grew out of a lack of courage to resist the demands of powerful special interests. As Penn State tries to reform its campus culture, what can it teach Duke? ...

It's possible that Penn State will fail to rehabilitate its currently tarnished image. But, unlike Duke, at least the school's leaders appear to understand that, in responding to scandal, a university must position itself on the right side of history.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...512167490.html
    Comes a time when someone needs to tell you to take a knee and sit a few plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Comes a time when someone needs to tell you to take a knee and sit a few plays out.
    I apologize if my posting of the Wall Street Journal link indicates to you or anyone else that I agree with the arguments of the op-ed -I do not and certainly have no interest in rehashing the events of 2006 - 2007. Given my posts in the Sandusky thread I think it is pretty clear what my view is on how Penn State's administrators handled the Sandusky mess

I posted the link to illustrate that no matter how reprehensible the conduct by another academic institution you can always count on someone in the media to contend that it pales in comparison to what has occurred at Duke

Sorry you apparently took offense