Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tweeted by Coach Cut on Facebook
    Please continue to pray for Blair. He's stable but still critical. I'm with him now and letting him know of ur prayers. 2:15 is the target
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I'm told from people that actually know something about medicine that with head traumas, the first 72 hours are crucial because that's when swelling peaks. The goal may very well be to keep him sedated and ventilated through that time frame.

That isn't to say that is what is happening here, but that's at least a reasonable possibility.
    I think you misunderstood my post. The only news that would come out about his condition is bad news. Every minute that type of news isn't released the better his chances for survival.

I will say this about the 72 hour (I was also told 5 days) time period is that no one really knows. In my daughter's case, her brain swelling peaked a week after the accident. Nobody - including the MDs really know when the peak will be reached, nor can they tell what the ultimate recovery will be until long, long after the incident.

Statement from his parents.

"Our family would like to extend its sincere gratitude to everyone who has provided thoughts and prayers on Blair’s behalf over the last week. We have been overcome with the extended love and support.

“We cannot express our heartfelt appreciation enough for Duke University and the Duke Football family during this time of uncertainty. Coach David Cutcliffe, coach Matt Lubick, coach Kurt Roper, Stan Wilcox, Hap Zarzour and so many others have been with us every step of the way, often times going above and beyond the call of duty to ensure our comfort and well-being. We are so proud to be a part of this team that also includes Blair’s teammates and their parents, who have been so generous with their care and support.

"We would like to thank our extended family who have loved, mentored, and supported Blair both through the years and especially now when he needs them the most: The Buckley School, Oaks Christian School and AIM High Basketball. We also wish to thank Blair's personal physician -- Dr. Janesri DeSilva -- who has provided valuable guidance and tremendous comfort to our family.

“The doctors, nurses and support staff here at UNC Hospitals have been nothing short of wonderful. We are so thankful for their commitment, dedication and professionalism.

“We firmly believe in the power of prayer, and are confident that everyone’s efforts have made a positive impact on Blair. As we continue focusing our energy towards Blair and our family, we also would like to thank everyone for respecting our privacy as it pertains to his condition.” "

In one article on the N&O this morning (in section B, page 1) it said that Blair opened his eyes on Monday! I have not seen that anywhere else, and surely that would have been reported and touted as great progress.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/...ows-risks.html
    Holliday sustained severe head injuries and remains in critical condition at the UNC Hospitals Trauma Center, though he opened his eyes Monday.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The Herald Sun reports on area nursing student Chelsea Gibbons' story of caring for Holliday before Holliday was airlifted to UNC.

Gibbons, 23, identified herself as a nursing student. Trained in CPR, she completed a class in June to renew her certification. She had never performed the life-saving procedure on a live person.

“I started assessing all his injuries,” Gibbons said Tuesday in a phone interview. “I could find a pulse and there was shallow breathing, but then I lost his pulse. I checked his neck (for a pulse), but he had injuries there. His bottom jaw was split. He was bleeding from his mouth and chin.”

Gibbons pulled back Holliday’s eyelids to check his pupils. She checked his abdomen for injuries to his vital organs.

“Everything was fine there,” Gibbons said. “It was all head injuries. He looked like a rag doll when they pulled him out of the water.”

While Gibbons examined Holliday, her mother, Debbie Gibbons, and her friend, Niki Coyne, called 911. Gibbons checked Holliday’s mouth to make sure no dislodged teeth or anything else had blocked his airway.

Holliday had stopped breathing. So Gibbons breathed into his mouth, giving what’s known as rescue breaths, and then applied chest compressions.

“His pulse was so weak,” Gibbons said. “I could find it, but it was weak. Then he took a breath.”

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    In one article on the N&O this morning (in section B, page 1) it said that Blair opened his eyes on Monday! I have not seen that anywhere else, and surely that would have been reported and touted as great progress.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/...ows-risks.html
    According to the Herald Sun article linked here and on the front page, the source of this report is a Nolan Smith tweet. According to the tweet Blair opened his eyes and gave a thumbs up sign when Nolan was visiting on Monday. Perhaps it hasn't been more widely reported because it was not an official statement from the doctors or the family, but it is still good news.

I am not trying to temper anyone's hopes, but Nolan's tweet doesn't mean that he is "oviously out of his coma" as stated on the front page yesterday. Ninety-nine per cent of the time, it's not like a person waking from a coma in a movie. It is a long gradual process - from being entirely unresponsive to being fully conscious. The MDs use scoring systems like the Glasgow Coma Scale and the Rancho Los Amigos Scale to judge depth of coma and recovery from a brain injury. It can take weeks, months to get to a level where you are fully conscious and can react to your enviroment. When discharged from Duke Hosptital two months after her accident was barely a 2+ on the Rancho Los Amigos scale; although at times she showed flashes of higher functioning. Many never get there. For every few steps forward, there is likely to be a couple of steps back. A TBI changes everything in your life and the recovery process can be a life-long struggle.

The most important thing at this time is to keep praying for Blair and his family. And let them know that you care. I can't express how important to us were the support, the cards, letters we received during my daughter's recovery from many, many people (including dozens on this board.) We have never been able to thank all these people for their help but it was invaluable.

This all assumes that (as indicated by the news reports,) Blair has a severe TBI. I hope that's an incorrect assumption.

Other players tweeted that Blair opened his eyes, but we don't know if those players were also present or were just tweeting what they had been told. All we can do is continue to pray for his recovery and that of his family as they rally around him.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I don't want this thread to disappear. Blair has a long hard recovery in front of him. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

I saw this posted on Twitter earlier tonight by Patrick Cacchio while I was at the ProAm games. Someone has set up a site to donate money to the family to help cover their expenses while Blair is in the hospital. I'm sure they would appreciate the help.

[link redacted for now]

Hopefully this doesn't violate any forum rules. I didn't see anything in the sticky but wanted to make sure.
    Last edited by -jk; 07-18-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: possible NCAA issues

The link - worthy though it is - may be a bit premature, so I had to redact it.

We'll revisit it when we have more complete info.

Thanks,

-jk

The link seems legit, it was posted by several of the football friends that I am friends with on facebook. In addition the Duke Blue Devils Football recruiting page on facebook also posted it and several players with twitter accounts have posted it. Now these do not equate legitimacy, but it appears legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The link - worthy though it is - may be a bit premature, so I had to redact it.

We'll revisit it when we have more complete info.

Thanks,

-jk
    No problem. I wasn't sure about that but guessed it was all right since the checks were being received at Yoh.

Thanks for understanding. The powers that be can be sticklers.

-jk

Let's get it up to $40K!

Just contributed to Blair's recovery fund, I encourage y'all to contribute as well. Let's show support for him and his family and demonstrate to all Duke football players and recruits that the fan base supports them.

Get well Blair!

Let's keep the prayers, the thoughts, and the donations going for Blair and his family and friends.

If you're uncertain about taking action regarding a contribution to help Blair's family, click on the link in the sticky for this fundraiser. When the web page comes up, click on the Donors tab. Reading the comments from donors may help you with your decision.

People who read this board have pumped up polls by voting repeatedly. The Holidays are family. They need our help.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    There is new info about the accident in this article.

A good read on the whole, but below are the key points about how it happened. Very sad. I feel really bad for Crowder. It was just an unfortunate accident where a fun activity went terribly wrong, even though the guys were not being careless. Still praying for Blair, and hoping he can somehow have a full recovery.

From the article:

Recreating the collision, officer Brandon Garrison said that Holliday and Crowder were roughly 20 yards apart on Yamaha waverunners owned by Duke defensive end Lucas Fisher’s stepfather, Michael Redden. They were heading north on Lake Tillery in search of other friends in their party. Holliday was the lead watercraft and at a moment when Crowder reached to his face to clear water from his eyes, Holliday had maneuvered in front of Crowder and stopped. By the time Crowder looked up, it was too late.

The report indicates that Crowder’s jet ski was traveling between 21 and 40 miles per hour when it struck the left side of a still-standing Holliday in T-bone fashion. The waverunner struck Holliday’s head, threw him from his watercraft and left him unconscious.

It's now just over three weeks from the accident. I just want toy ask people not to forget as time passes. The recovery from this type of injury isn't in weeks, or even months. It will be a long, hard, and very lonely struggle for Blair and his family. Believe me, any show of concern and support will be appreciatedby the family.

Keeping the family and kid in my prayers. Praying for a full recovery and peace and comfort during the process for all those involved.