Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

2012 DBR Mock Draft

The 2012 DBR Mock Draft is officially open for business!

As mentioned earlier, you have 6 hours to make your pick but you are encouraged to pick quicker than that if you can. Your job is not just to make a pick. You should post at least a couple lines explaining the rationale behind your pick.

dcdevil2009, you are on the clock as the GM of the Hornets!

First Round:

1. New Orleans Hornets - dcdevil2009 ANTHONY DAVIS, Kentucky
    2. Charlotte Bobcats - Newton_14 MICHAEL KIDD-GILCHRIST, Kentucky
    3. Washington Wizards - JBDuke BRADLEY BEAL, Florida
    4. Cleveland Cavaliers - MulletMan THOMAS ROBINSON, Kansas
    5. Sacramento Kings - em0526 ANDRE DRUMMOND, Connecticut
    6. Portland Trail Blazers - pfrduke HARRISON BARNES, UNC
    7. Golden State Warriors - FerryFor50 TERRENCE JONES, Kentucky
    8. Toronto Raptors - NSDukeFan JARED SULLINGER, Ohio State
    9. Detroit Pistons - BD80 MYERS LEONARD, Illinois
    10. New Orleans Hornets - dcdevil2009 JOHN HENSON, UNC
    11. Portland Trail Blazers - pfrduke KENDALL MARSHALL, UNC
    12. Milwaukee Bucks- TDrake51 TYLER ZELLER, UNC
    13. Phoenix Suns - Starter- DION WAITERS, Syracuse
    14. Houston Rockets - tommy- AUSTIN RIVERS, Duke
    15. Philadelphia 76ers - roywhite- MOE HARKLESS, St. John's
    16. Houston Rockets - tommy- TERRENCE ROSS, Washington
    17. Dallas Mavericks - superdave- DAMIEN LILLARD, Weber State
    18. Minnesota Timberwolves - Li_Duke- JEREMY LAMB, Connecticut
    19. Orlando Magic - Coldriver10- TONY WROTEN, Washington
    20. Denver Nuggets - FireOgilvie - PERRY JONES III, Baylor
    21. Boston Celtics- Maxamillion - ARNETT MOULTRIE, Mississippi St.
    22. Boston Celtics- Maxamillion - ANDREW NICHOLSON, St. Bonaventure
    23. Atlanta Hawks - JasonEvans - DRAYMOND GREEN, Michigan State
    24. Cleveland Cavaliers - MulletMan - WILL BARTON, Memphis
    25. Memphis Grizzlies - CPDUKEGUY24- MARQUIS TEAGUE, Kentucky
    26. Indiana Pacers - blev23- JOHN JENKINS, Vanderbilt
    27. Miami Heat - Chicago 1995- ROYCE WHITE, Iowa St
    28. Oklahoma City Thunder- KDOGG- EVAN FOURNIER Union Poitiers Basket 86
    29. Chicago Bulls - CDu- QUINCY MILLER Baylor
    30. Golden State Warriors - FerryFor50- FAB MELO Syracuse

Second Round

1. Charlotte Bobcats - Newton_14 - KEVIN JONES, West Virginia
    2. Washington Wizards - JBDuke- JEFFREY TAYLOR, Vanderbilt
    3. Cleveland Cavaliers - MulletMan - DORON LAMB, Kentucky
    4. Cleveland Cavaliers - MulletMan - FESTUS EZELI, Vanderbilt
    5. Golden State Warriors - FerryFor50 - TYSHAWN TAYLOR, Kansas
    6. Sacramento Kings - em0526 - MILES PLUMLEE, Duke
    7. Toronto Raptors - NSDukeFan- JAE CROWDER, Marquette
    8. Denver Nuggets - FireOgilvie- ORLANDO JOHNSON, UC Santa Barbara
    9. Detroit Pistons - BD80- JAMYCHAL GREEN, Alabama
    10. Portland Trail Blazers - pfrduke- JARED CUNNINGHAM, Oregon St.
    11. Portland Trail Blazers - pfrduke- KYLE O'QUINN, Norfolk St
    12. Milwaukee Bucks- TDrake51- KRIS JOSEPH, Syracuse
    13. Atlanta Hawks - JasonEvans- KHRIS MIDDLETON, Texas A&M
    14. Detroit Pistons - BD80 - KEVIN MURPHY, Tennessee Tech
    15. Philadelphia 76ers - roywhite - MIKE SCOTT, Virginia
    16. Washington Wizards - JBDuke - FURKAN ALDEMIR, Turkey
    17. Utah Jazz - Urinal Cake - WILLIAM BUFORD, Ohio St.
    18. New York Knicks - Starter - DREW GORDON, UCLA
    19. Orlando Magic - Coldriver10 - KOSTAS PAPANICOLAOU, Greece
    20. Denver Nuggets - FireOgilvie - KIM ENGLISH, Missouri
    21. Boston Celtics- Maxamillion - HOLLIS THOMPSON, Georgetown
    22. Golden State Warriors - FerryFor50 - TOMAS SATORANSKY, Europe
    23. Los Angeles Clippers - Nocilla - DUSAN CENTEKIN, Serbia
    24. Philadelphia 76ers - roywhite- BERNARD JAMES, Florida St
    25. Dallas Mavericks - superdave- JOSEP FRANCH, Spain
    26. Toronto Raptors - NSDukeFan- SCOTT MACHADO, Iona
    27. Brooklyn Nets- NovaScotian- TORNIKE SHENGELIA, Belgium/Georgia
    28. Minnesota Timberwolves - Li_Duke
    29. San Antonio Spurs - Duvall
    30. Los Angeles Lakers - CDu

-Jason "lets get it started!" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-23-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

After much deliberation, the New Orleans Hornets select...Anthony Davis. If you look at the list of NBA champions over the last 10 years, they'll have one thing in common, a solid post defender, with the possible exception of Andrew Bynum and the Lakers. While the Hornets are years away from competing, Davis will hopefully be the cornerstone around which the team can build itself into a successful franchise for the next decade.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    With the second pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, the Charlotte Bobcats select Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, SF, from the University of Kentucky. Once Commissioner Jason Stern Evans implemented the no trade rule, for us it came down to 2 players. In the end, Kidd-Gilchrist is a guy we felt could not be passed up. We expect him to start and contribute immediately on the wing alongside Henderson. We love his length, his tenacity attacking the basket, and his defense. We believe he can also develop a consistent 3 point shot as well. Michael also brings with him a winner's mentality we hope he can share with his teammates here. He is our first step back toward a winning culture.

We could not be happier with our selection.

With the 3rd pick in the 2012 DBR Mock Draft...

...the Washington Wizards select--

Brad Beal, SG Florida

JB gave me this pick to make for him. I am sure he will post something soon explaining the pick.

-Jason "JB actually had Beal ahead of MKG on his draft board" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...the Washington Wizards select--

Brad Beal, SG Florida

JB gave me this pick to make for him. I am sure he will post something soon explaining the pick.

-Jason "JB actually had Beal ahead of MKG on his draft board" Evans
    I would have taken MKG second like Newton_14, but I could see wanting Beal over him. I adore MKG's game, but I have questions about his makeup for the NBA lifestyle. That won't be a problem with Beal.

This is the area many forecast the Pigeon will land ...

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I would have taken MKG second like Newton_14, but I could see wanting Beal over him. I adore MKG's game, but I have questions about his makeup for the NBA lifestyle. That won't be a problem with Beal.
    It's easy to see a role for Beal in the James Harden, Eric Gordon mold. It's a littler tougher to see who MKG compares to - one part Battier, one part Artest, one part Gerald Wallace and one part Scottie Pippen.

Maybe we should revisit Beal vs. MKG a year from now.

Discussion

Note-- please confine all posts in this thread to discussion of Mock Draft picks. Keeping up with who has been picked is tough enough without the conversation veering into off-topic territory. Thanks.

-Jason "Mulletman, on the clock!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Note-- please confine all posts in this thread to discussion of Mock Draft picks. Keeping up with who has been picked is tough enough without the conversation veering into off-topic territory. Thanks.

-Jason "Mulletman, on the clock!" Evans
    Jason,

Can you update the original post with who got selected to eliminate confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Jason,

Can you update the original post with who got selected to eliminate confusion?
    Yes, that would be very helpful, if possible. Especially once we get to the later picks.

With the fourth pick in the NBA draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers select Thomas Robinson, F, Kansas.

OK... here's the deal. I realize that we've got Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao, but I can't pass up the opportunity to add a talent like Robinson to my team. Thompson wasn't all that impressive last season... at least, not as impressive as we'd hoped, and Varejao is versatile but not a huge scorer. I am willing to play a frontline of Varejao at the 5, Robinson at the 4, and Thompson at the 3 for the time being if I can't pick up a 3 via free agency or during the later rounds of the draft.

I think that Robinson has a great motor and will be an ideal pick and roll combo with Kyrie. Further, I think we will be a monster team on the glass with Robinson and Varejao and should be pretty good defensively. We will need to focus on picking up a player that can create his own shot (from the 2 or 3 position) to compliment Kyrie now, but these three players give us a solid, though perhaps slightly undersized basis for a front line. And as OKC is showing, you don't need a 7 footer to win in today's NBA.

I was really hoping to get Beal here, but that went out the window. In real life, I'd have tried this pick. Since we can't do that, in all reality, I was looking at Robinson, Barnes or Drummond... maybe Waiters or Lamb, but I think this draft is deep at the 2. The red flags with Barnes and Drummond are too many. If I'm taking someone like Barnes at #4 I want a guy who is more than a spot up shooter. Really... what's the difference between Barnes and a player like Danny Green right now? I realize the Cavs supposedly love him, but his lack of a first step hurts her IMO. Drummond... you can see the potential, but he reminds me of the headaches that people like Demarcus Cousins cause. We have a solid foundation with Kyrie, and I think that Robinson adds to that foundation.

So there ya go!

With the fifth pick in the DBR draft...

the Sacramento Kings select Andre Drummond. The Kings base this selection on two reasons:
    1) They need a defensive presence to pair with Demarcus Cousins (DMC). DMC has developed into an absolute force under the basket. If Drummond is able to realize his potential, those two could eventually form one of the more intimidating front lines in the NBA. On the flip side - Drummond could become the biggest Kings bust since Pervis Ellison...
    2) Although the Kings have needs at small forward, Harrison Barnes is not the answer. He needs point guard that can set him up and the Kings just don't have one.

I would not be surprised to see Sacramento eventually trade this pick, but if they have to keep it - I think it will be Drummond.

Portland started this season with a solid (if not spectacular) collection of veteran talent. A starting lineup of Raymond Felton-Wesley Matthews-Gerald Wallace-LaMarcus Aldridge-Marcus Camby, and a couple experienced subs in Nic Batum and Jamal Crawford. After trades and expiring contracts, only two of those 7 are definitely on next year's roster - Aldridge and Matthews (Crawford has a player option that he may take, and Batum can get a qualifying offer). With Aldridge under contract through 2015, the Blazers can afford another rebuilding season or two, and are likely to approach the draft looking to simply stockpile talent (4 picks, including 2 lottery selections, help). Best available player, regardless of position, is likely to be their approach throughout.

Thankfully, the best available player here happens to also be in a position of need, and the Blazers take Harrison Barnes. Small forward is a blank slate, and Barnes projects as a player who can start from Day 1. We hope to see him develop into a volume scorer who can take some of the load off of Aldridge and pair with him as an inside-outside threat. Plus, we know Harrison's brand will be thrilled to be just down the road from Nike.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

A Little Louder, Please

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Portland started this season with a solid (if not spectacular) collection of veteran talent. A starting lineup of Raymond Felton-Wesley Matthews-Gerald Wallace-LaMarcus Aldridge-Marcus Camby, and a couple experienced subs in Nic Batum and Jamal Crawford. After trades and expiring contracts, only two of those 7 are definitely on next year's roster - Aldridge and Matthews (Crawford has a player option that he may take, and Batum can get a qualifying offer). With Aldridge under contract through 2015, the Blazers can afford another rebuilding season or two, and are likely to approach the draft looking to simply stockpile talent (4 picks, including 2 lottery selections, help). Best available player, regardless of position, is likely to be their approach throughout.

Thankfully, the best available player here happens to also be in a position of need, and the Blazers take Harrison Barnes. Small forward is a blank slate, and Barnes projects as a player who can start from Day 1. We hope to see him develop into a volume scorer who can take some of the load off of Aldridge and pair with him as an inside-outside threat. Plus, we know Harrison's brand will be thrilled to be just down the road from Nike.

A little sotto voce there, don't you think, pfrduke?

I fixed it for you. -- sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A little sotto voce there, don't you think, pfrduke?

I fixed it for you. -- sage
    prfduke and Portland are coming up again soon, at #11 in the 1st round.

Hey, might as well pick another Tarheel now...your hands are dirty already.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    With the fourth pick in the NBA draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers select Thomas Robinson, F, Kansas.

OK... here's the deal. I realize that we've got Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao, but I can't pass up the opportunity to add a talent like Robinson to my team. Thompson wasn't all that impressive last season... at least, not as impressive as we'd hoped, and Varejao is versatile but not a huge scorer. I am willing to play a frontline of Varejao at the 5, Robinson at the 4, and Thompson at the 3 for the time being if I can't pick up a 3 via free agency or during the later rounds of the draft.

I think that Robinson has a great motor and will be an ideal pick and roll combo with Kyrie. Further, I think we will be a monster team on the glass with Robinson and Varejao and should be pretty good defensively. We will need to focus on picking up a player that can create his own shot (from the 2 or 3 position) to compliment Kyrie now, but these three players give us a solid, though perhaps slightly undersized basis for a front line. And as OKC is showing, you don't need a 7 footer to win in today's NBA.

I was really hoping to get Beal here, but that went out the window. In real life, I'd have tried this pick. Since we can't do that, in all reality, I was looking at Robinson, Barnes or Drummond... maybe Waiters or Lamb, but I think this draft is deep at the 2. The red flags with Barnes and Drummond are too many. If I'm taking someone like Barnes at #4 I want a guy who is more than a spot up shooter. Really... what's the difference between Barnes and a player like Danny Green right now? I realize the Cavs supposedly love him, but his lack of a first step hurts her IMO. Drummond... you can see the potential, but he reminds me of the headaches that people like Demarcus Cousins cause. We have a solid foundation with Kyrie, and I think that Robinson adds to that foundation.

So there ya go!
    I thought long and hard about taking T-Rob with the 2nd Pick. It was always him or MKG for me, but in the end, my Bobcats need better players at every position, and at this point I am more sold on MKG being a sure thing than T-Rob. Rookie Big Men always scare me. If I would have had the 2nd and 3rd pick I would have taken T-Rob with the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    prfduke and Portland are coming up again soon, at #11 in the 1st round.

Hey, might as well pick another Tarheel now...your hands are dirty already.
    Portland could use Kendall Marshall at point guard (to carry Nolan Smith's bags)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

The Blazers took the Warriors desired player, which filled their biggest need of SF.

The strategy from here is to take the next available player, which would be Jerrod Sullinger. However, the Warriors have concerns about Sullinger's weight issues and lack of a solid perimeter game, as well as his tailing off last season. In addition, the Warriors already have a formidable frontcourt with Andrew Bogut and David Lee.

So the next two best available would be Perry and Terrence Jones.

Both players have some character questions. Perry seems to have some work ethic questions and is a bit skinny.

So, with the 7th pick, the Warriors select Terrence Jones due to his size, tweener SF/PF ability, NBA ready body, rebounding ability and outside stroke. We feel he can come in and contribute immediately, if not start.

Ok. Draft board is now updated. NSDUKEFan (Toronto) is now on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by em0526 View Post
    the Sacramento Kings select Andre Drummond. The Kings base this selection on two reasons:
    1) They need a defensive presence to pair with Demarcus Cousins (DMC). DMC has developed into an absolute force under the basket. If Drummond is able to realize his potential, those two could eventually form one of the more intimidating front lines in the NBA. On the flip side - Drummond could become the biggest Kings bust since Pervis Ellison...
    2) Although the Kings have needs at small forward, Harrison Barnes is not the answer. He needs point guard that can set him up and the Kings just don't have one.

I would not be surprised to see Sacramento eventually trade this pick, but if they have to keep it - I think it will be Drummond.
    Do you think it's a good idea to have Cousins and Drummond on the same team? Drummond has a motivation issue and Cousins has a short fuse and issues with authority (I do love his game and actually like him too.) I can see those two mailing in part of the season if they don't get their way.