Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 US Open

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    lying and calling par 5s par 4s--it's all a farce
    Par is arbitrary. You could call every hole a par 2, or a par 6, and it wouldn't change the results a bit.

#13 at Augusta is a de facto par 4; how is calling it a par 5 not a "lie"?

Last year I played a course with a 420-yard "par 5". I hit a perfect drive, stuck a 6-iron to five feet and sank the putt for a 3. Did I really make an eagle? Would my result be any less impressive if the hole been listed as a par 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    I'm not sure I'd like to play a US Open setup. Not sure how much fun it'd be to shoot triple digits, an easy triple digits. Now, the Masters... that's a whole different animal.

Are they still allowing select amateurs to play the course after the tournament is finished to see if anyone can shoot under a 100? I know they did it a couple years back.
    The US Open is (as Ernie Els has said) the de facto world championship of golf. It is not a track for the average or even very good golfer. I don't happen to agree with Throatybeard about the quality of the course and the tournament. It is intended as a supreme test of golf ability. Especially accuracy. And also course management (decision making). And play on and around the greens.

While the Masters is a tournament for long hitters (think Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus, Tiger, Phil), it is also a test. Tom Watson (I think) said that, if one dropped the ball at the 100-yard marker on every hole, a 15-handicap golfer playing Augusta for the first time would not break 100. Of course, I'd sure like the opportunity to try.

WRT your last question, I believe the course rough and the Sunday pin positions are kept for a day or two afterwards. Members are allowed to play the course, of course, and maybe even some sponsors (depending on the contract with the private club). I did get to play Robert Trent Jones outside DC the day after the first President's Cup, which was fun, although the rough was not US Open style.

sagegrouse

Eldrick seems to be hitting the ball pretty nicely. He had some horrid luck today and is still tied for the lead. Furyk and Toms are both fine players though and will not wilt under the pressure of being at the top of the Open leaderboard over the weekend.

So, what is it going to take to win? 2-under or 3-under probably does it, I think.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Joe Ogilvie made the cut at +8 -- on the number. He trails by eight shots. Kevin Streelman (+12) did not. Good luck to Joey on the weekend.

sage

UPdate: Streelman and Ogilvie Made the Cut

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Joe Ogilvie made the cut at +8 -- on the number. He trails by eight shots. Kevin Streelman (+12) did not. Good luck to Joey on the weekend.

sage
    Oops! I was in error. Kevin was also on the number -- at +8. -- sage

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Eldrick seems to be hitting the ball pretty nicely. He had some horrid luck today and is still tied for the lead. Furyk and Toms are both fine players though and will not wilt under the pressure of being at the top of the Open leaderboard over the weekend.

So, what is it going to take to win? 2-under or 3-under probably does it, I think.

-Jason
    He did have some terrible luck with where his ball ended up on 6 and 16. Each of those probably cost him a stroke. Also, he got incredibly unlucky with his approach on 17 that produced some interesting debate between Andy North and Curtis Strange on whether that hole is fair. And on 7 he three putted from 8 feet. He easily could have shot 67 (although I'm sure all of the other players in the top 20 experienced similar shoulda/coulda). I actually think he might have that kind of 67-68 round in him today - all facets of his game looks so precise - his third shot on 17 was the kind of shot that the pre-scandal Tiger would make.

I agree the winning score likely will be between 2 and 4 under. I did read something interesting that I think McDowell said - that the USGA can "order" whatever winning score it wants by how hard it sets the tees and pins. I think he said they could make it +5 or +10 if they want.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Streelman and Ogilive both making the cut is quite impressive when one looks at some of the players who missed; McElroy, Bubba, Luke Donald, Louis Oosthuizen, et. al.

So tonight its the US Open (with Tiger) in prime time on NBC against Game 3 of the Heat/Thunder on ABC, and I would be curious about who wins out. Will the NBA kill the Open?

Or as my wife says (and Throaty too), it's Tiger vs the NBA, since they will only show Tiger tonight.

For me, it's the third game of the NBA finals, so I'm going to watch golf. And I'm glad it's on NBC rather than ESPN, because Chris Berman is miserable as a golf announcer.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Chris Berman is miserable as a golf announcer.
    You're right aboiut that. His voice does violence to the game.

So tonight its the US Open (with Tiger) in prime time on NBC against Game 3 of the Heat/Thunder on ABC, and I would be curious about who wins out. Will the NBA kill the Open?

Or as my wife says (and Throaty too), it's Tiger vs the NBA, since they will only show Tiger tonight.

For me, it's the third game of the NBA finals, so I'm going to watch golf. And I'm glad it's on NBC rather than ESPN, because Chris Berman is miserable as a golf announcer.
    I believe you'll have to make that decision tomorrow night.

Of course, some of us will have to factor in South Carolina v. Florida at the CWS. Wheels up at nine.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I believe you'll have to make that decision tomorrow night.

Of course, some of us will have to factor in South Carolina v. Florida at the CWS. Wheels up at nine.
    In that case, I made the right choice.

I never would have picked Furyk to be leading after three rounds. Maybe I will start using his product, 5 hour energy.
    ~rthomas

Streelman and Ogilvie on Saturday

The headline is that Kevin Streelman ended up at +2 for the day (+10), but only after ending bogey-double bogey. He was -1 going into the "easy" 17th and 18th holes. Finishing par-par would have put him in a tie for 32nd.

Joe Ogilvie was +6 on the brutal stretch of 1 through 6 but played even par the rest of the way. His +6 puts him at +14.

sagegrouse

Tiger's irrelevant. He's +8, in 33rd place.

I have to think that the NFL and the NBA would beat every other sport in American TV ratings, irrespective of whether NBC is televising Tiger scratching his own butt.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

And we have a new leader - Webb Simpson from Raleigh! Furyk is in trouble on 17 as I type.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And we have a new leader - Webb Simpson from Raleigh!
    Webb Simpson - U.S. Open Champion, from Raleigh. And Wake Forest! Congratulations!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

One of the more entertaining things to happen at the US Open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z00n...layer_embedded
    ~rthomas

BTW this was a terrific and entertaining tournament. McDowell, Furyk, Els all had their chances to win and didn't.

The distinctive part of the course was the first six holes, the hardest on the course. So many players came a cropper at the start of their rounds -- it happened to Tiger on both Saturday and Sunday -- but if one survived there were birdie opportunities on the rest.

sagegrouse

I knew Kelsey Grammer drank, but I didn't know he enjoyed attending golf tournaments.