Duke retired jerseys at wiki article on Duke Basketball

I just saw something at the Duke basketball wiki article. I just saw something that flabbergasted me. I figure it is a joke.

Go to this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Bl...9;s_basketball

Scroll down until you see the box on the right that lists retired players. See if there is something there that makes you go "whoa'. Weird. I can't believe that we would be meant to find out about such a thing on Wiki, but it sure startled the heck out of me. Maybe someone forgot to erase their April Fool's joke.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I just saw something at the Duke basketball wiki article. I just saw something that flabbergasted me. I figure it is a joke.

Go to this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Bl...9;s_basketball

Scroll down until you see the box on the right that lists retired players. See if there is something there that makes you go "whoa'. Weird. I can't believe that we would be meant to find out about such a thing on Wiki, but it sure startled the heck out of me. Maybe someone forgot to erase their April Fool's joke.
    Are you talking about Scheyer appearing there, with the jersey retirement date listed as 2013? Certainly is strange, but I would assume it's baseless until shown otherwise, especially seeing as the formatting is suspect.
    Last edited by Jderf; 06-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Hmm... Jumbo has been busy.

-jk

Having posted numerous times on this subject, I personally hope, but doubt, it's true.

I didn't add this to the Wiki article, but perhaps one of you did.

Maybe we need to do a new thread since it's quiet this summer: Retired Jersey: Nolan vs. Singler vs. Scheyer.

I cannot imagine any of them getting that recognition this far removed from their playing days. All Coach K's jersey retirees got it their senior year or the season after.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Hmm... Jumbo has been busy.

-jk
    Good one! Wiki is apparently easy to mold to one's liking, but even if this had been in a more reliable print edition of some respected publication I would not believe it without some official word from Duke.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Maybe we need to do a new thread since it's quiet this summer: Retired Jersey: Nolan vs. Singler vs. Scheyer.

I cannot imagine any of them getting that recognition this far removed from their playing days. All Coach K's jersey retirees got it their senior year or the season after.
    Especially when current Duke players are wearing all of the numbers in question!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    Especially when current Duke players are wearing all of the numbers in question!
    It appears that it has been edited back to the current and real list. I don't see Scheyer listed any more

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    It appears that it has been edited back to the current and real list. I don't see Scheyer listed any more
    it was there at 1:54 ET

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    It's still there. As others noted, it's a formatting issue, not an intentional misprint. There is also the year "2013" listed, but no name. Hmmm, which one will it be?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's still there. As others noted, it's a formatting issue, not an intentional misprint. There is also the year "2013" listed, but no name. Hmmm, which one will it be?
    Apparently I didn't look at the far right column, I see it now. Actually it say Jon Scheyer and 2013 in the same column.

Guess where the IP address is from of the individual who added it last month. Petach Tikva, Israel. Must be a Maccabi Tel Aviv fan. I'm surprised it's lasted a month actually. Probably one of us should remove it, so it's accurate...

It IS Wikipedia. I was thinking of adding Tony Moore to that section.

Meanwhile, I have it on good authority that elephant populations in Africa and India have tripled over the last decade.