Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"903 and Kounting" Painting

Duke painting (903 & Kounting).jpg

Here is my newest Duke painting that I have been working on for the last few months, "903 and Kounting" depicting the legendary career of Coach K. The background of the painting features a team picture of every team Coach K has coached starting with his West Point teams all the way to last year's Duke team. The background also features highlights from his career including the 4 National Championships, Christian's shot to beat Kentucky, and Wojo embracing Coach after their dramatic victory of UNC. The foreground of the painting features Coach K diagramming a play to the 9 players that have had their numbers retired during Coach's tenure at Duke: Ferry, Battier, Redick, Hurley, Laettner, Hill, S. Williams, Dawkins, and J Williams.

Let me know what you all think of it.

It is fantastic. You certainly have the talent. Great way to include the greats in the K era and it looks very natural.

LOVE the concept, fantastic execution! Just great, great, great work!

Edit: Mind if I steal this for my desktop background?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post
    LOVE the concept, fantastic execution! Just great, great, great work!

Edit: Mind if I steal this for my desktop background?
    I don't mind at all.

http://www.jasonrobichau.com/903-and...ing-lithograph
    Last edited by -jk; 06-06-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: sales pitch

Big sporks, very nice.

Wow, that's pretty epic. Great stuff.

(I'm PMing you with a question about ordering one to avoid getting you in trouble!)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I really like it. I'll be honest...I've got some issues with some of your others..not because of the execution but because of the imagery. This is not directed at you specifically, but in general I really have problems when paintings are done from anything other than an original image. If it is your photo that the painting is based on, paint the hell out of it; if it is someone else's photo...especially if it is an iconic image, then there is something about the idea behind it that rubs me the wrong way.
    That being said, the idea that you worked from is awesome. And there is no way that you or anyone else on this planet could have taken the years to wait for the right moment to finally collect all their photos together that they've patiently taken..knowing that this moment was coming. I remember your post asking about thoughts for the painting before you started, and I liked the idea then. The end result is a solid piece that works really well.
    Very nicely done.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Really interesting that there's a nc team with no representation here. On an individual basis don't disagree with the choices but that's quite a testament to the program and that team in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by mdj View Post
    Really interesting that there's a nc team with no representation here. On an individual basis don't disagree with the choices but that's quite a testament to the program and that team in particular.
    I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Kyle? Nolan? Jon? I suppose you can't include all of the recent greats, but any or all of those three could make a case for inclusion, especially Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Kyle? Nolan? Jon? I suppose you can't include all of the recent greats, but any or all of those three could make a case for inclusion, especially Kyle.
    Their jerseys aren't in the rafters. The nine players depicted have played under Coach K and had their numbers retired.

Just purchased mine, I love the painting and will be looking forward to more.

Thanks

Great painting! I just ordered one for my father for father's day. It will look great in his basement with all of his other memorabilia.

Can't get past the K

I can't handle the word "counting" being misspelled with the "K". I get it, I know why it was done, but it bothers me, seems contrived. Love it otherwise though.

Add me to the list..

I just ordered mine and it also will come with the "order is restored" litho for free. Will look great in my new man cave. Fantastic job. Keep up the good work!

I'll let you know what I think of it... freaking awesome from concept to quality. Amazing talent my man. I am giving the info to my wife and hope I get this as a fathers day present for my Duke room. If not I will buy it myself...

I love it! I bought one for a Christmas gift (check another gift off the list). As for the 2010 National Champs, check out the painting for that team. I ordered one of those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Big sporks, very nice.
    He actually painted this to get sporks. The idea to sell it came later.

~

The painting is wonderful.

I love the others, too:

Shane Battier; Grant Hill; J.J. Redick; Coach K; 2010 national title; and Duke Legends.

I do have a question about the last one. You've got Jason Williams, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Christian Laettner, and then Mike Dunleavy and Coach Wojo (from his playing days). Now I love me some Dunleavy and Wojo, but I do wonder why you included the latter two in that group?

Thanks for sharing your gift with us, and for using it so darn well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    He actually painted this to get sporks. The idea to sell it came later.

~

The painting is wonderful.

I love the others, too:

Shane Battier; Grant Hill; J.J. Redick; Coach K; 2010 national title; and Duke Legends.

I do have a question about the last one. You've got Jason Williams, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Christian Laettner, and then Mike Dunleavy and Coach Wojo (from his playing days). Now I love me some Dunleavy and Wojo, but I do wonder why you included the latter two in that group?

Thanks for sharing your gift with us, and for using it so darn well.

Good question. I included those players because I did that particular painting for K Academy and those were the players in attendance for that year's event. The players autographed the painting at the event and they auctioned it off.

About how long does it take for you to ship orders? I ordered both pictures ~two weeks ago when Cameron Crazie first posted about them on FB about two weeks ago, long before you posted this thread and Julio posted his link on the front page.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    About how long does it take for you to ship orders? I ordered both pictures ~two weeks ago when Cameron Crazie first posted about them on FB about two weeks ago, long before you posted this thread and Julio posted his link on the front page.
    I had a little setback in the printing process. The prints should be mailed out early this week. I apologize for the delay.