Do college players really progress that much at pre-draft training facilities?

I have been reading about pre-draft workouts and how much better players seem to be getting working with professional trainers to get them ready for the draft. Is it all hype or are college players really adding significantly to their strength and skills at professional training facilities?

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    I have been reading about pre-draft workouts and how much better players seem to be getting working with professional trainers to get them ready for the draft. Is it all hype or are college players really adding significantly to their strength and skills at professional training facilities?
    I think the answer is yes, and the primary thing that happens is that the training gurus have 100% of their focus and push them hard to lose fat while gaining muscle. Because these kids are young jocks in the prime of their youthful vitality, and have likely been eating junk at every meal up until that point, they experience dramatic changes in their physiques once they eat correctly and work out round the clock. Those physical changes quickly translate to increased speed, strength and agility. I think skills like shooting take a little longer, but the pros can help the players make fairly dramatic improvement in a short order in those areas, too, especially if the basic mechanics are off.

Of course, this opens the door for greybeard to really break down what is going on physically...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think the answer is yes, and the primary thing that happens is that the training gurus have 100% of their focus and push them hard to lose fat while gaining muscle. Because these kids are young jocks in the prime of their youthful vitality, and have likely been eating junk at every meal up until that point, they experience dramatic changes in their physiques once they eat correctly and work out round the clock. Those physical changes quickly translate to increased speed, strength and agility. I think skills like shooting take a little longer, but the pros can help the players make fairly dramatic improvement in a short order in those areas, too, especially if the basic mechanics are off.

Of course, this opens the door for greybeard to really break down what is going on physically...
    Haha, I'm not greybeard, but I'd also say that the trainers help the athletes improve specifically for some of the things they'll be asked to do in workouts. Vertical jumping, in particularly, is something that can improve a decent amount with the right workout. It won't take you from a 12 inch vertical to a 36 inch one, but it can add a few extra inches, which can be big in how NBA GM's perceive you. I remember when I was recovering from a knee surgery, I asked my physical therapist (who moonlighting as a trainer for DII basketball players) what exercises I could do to get my (limited) jumping ability back. The ones he showed me helped me jump higher than I could pre-surgery, although that's not saying much. Of course, I didn't stick with them and never played basketball competitively after high school, so I can only imagine how much a talented DI athlete could get out of doing those workouts consistently over a period of a few months.

It's a euphemism?

I was under the impression that "pre-draft training facilities" was just a code phrase for "place where you can get high quality steroids" so I guess it does help!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Could schools pay for the same type of training over the summer for their players.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    I was under the impression that "pre-draft training facilities" was just a code phrase for "place where you can get high quality steroids" so I guess it does help!
    Does the nba have performance enhancing drug policy? I never hear about anyone getting caught but I can't see why basketball would be any different than football, baseball, cycling, etc. as far as the advantage gained and it seems like skinny college players often become vein popping hulks in the league. Dennis Rodman's sudden physical transformation in the latter part of his career always seemed a bit suspicious to me for instance.

Kids grow up. Frequently in their early 20's.

The NBA has been testing for ages.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti...ted_Substances

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Kids grow up. Frequently in their early 20's.

The NBA has been testing for ages.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti...ted_Substances
    Don't want to hijack the the thread but I don't buy it.

http://thesportsjury.com/nba/anaboli...-be-surprised/

"Under the NBA policy, NBA players face no random testing at all once they complete their rookie year. They are only tested once each year, during their one-month training camp.

The policy also fails to cover a vast number of drugs. There are literally dozens of steroids and stimulants that are outlawed in Olympic competition that are still legal for use in the NBA. The policy fails to cover performance enhancers such as human growth hormone or EPO. And it fails to cover designer steroids.”

"Ever notice how in some random cases, in a player’s second or third season, they enter training camp with a far more muscular build combined with enhanced explosiveness and then MAINTAIN that build throughout the marathon-like NBA season that is absolutely filled with cardiovascular exercise which typically causes muscle loss unless everything about your diet and sleep schedule is absolutely perfect?
    Yeah, me too."