Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Being a die-hard Duke and Cavalier fan since the days of Price, Daughtery, Hot-Rod Williams, Larry Nance, and, wait for it...Craig Ehlo - I can state without a shadow of a doubt I DO NOT WANT HARRISON BARNES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    Harrison simply has a very low ceiling of potential. I think at best he could be a Sean Elliot (pretty darn good but not great).

My 1st choice is MKG(obviously), then Ross.

I truly believe TRoss is going to BLOW UP at the next level. He reminds me of a bigger Elliot Williams with a smoother stroke and handle. I think he has the potential to be "Wade-like".
    What do you have against Sean Elliot? He wasn't the greatest but he doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the likes of HWMNBN 9F

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Here's an article in today's Washington Post from columnist Michael Lee talking about the Wizards' prospects at #3. Lee seems to think that the Wiz would be best going after Bradley Beal from Florida to help shore up their perimeter game.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Grantland's take

Awesome story on grantland.com about the draft. Wade through all the conspiracy talk at the top and get to the part about two-thirds of the way down (written by Duke's Shane Ryan) about the possibility of the Black Falcon "the most overrated player in college basketball history" taken by Charlotte in the first round.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ry-shootaround

PS Also a little blurb about how Drummond is the most likely bust that the pickers won't be able to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Awesome story on grantland.com about the draft. Wade through all the conspiracy talk at the top and get to the part about two-thirds of the way down (written by Duke's Shane Ryan) about the possibility of the Black Falcon "the most overrated player in college basketball history" taken by Charlotte in the first round.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ry-shootaround

PS Also a little blurb about how Drummond is the most likely bust that the pickers won't be able to resist.
    I could not agree more with the idea that Drummond will be a bust. If I were a GM, I'd be confident enough about him being a bust that I'd gladly take another player and see Drummond become an All Star. Yeah, I'd get killed for the decision, but the team that won his services was lucky, not smart in drafting him.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    What do you have against Sean Elliot? He wasn't the greatest but he doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the likes of HWMNBN 9F
    Totally agree! Sean deserves much better! I doubt HB ever sees the day he becomes as good as Sean Elliot was.

As for the draft, it would be very typical if Jordan selected HB with that second pick. I don't think it will happen, but it would be very Bobcats/Jordan like if it did. I think the best thing Charlotte can do is trade the pick and try to garner multiple picks lower in the draft. After Davis, every other player has question marks. For a team as bad as Charlotte, they need lots of players, not one. I would try to trade down with one of the teams that have 2 first round picks, and try to get 2 picks in the first round, to go with the high pick in the 2nd round.

I've seen Skype Barnes projected as high as #4.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Chad Ford on the BS Report last week.
    They bounce around a bit and it was recorded before the ping pong balls were drawn. Simmons is high on Austin Rivers, saying his stock is low because he was not a huge star but he's got the talent and pedigree to be a Jason Terry type player.

Skimming through the combine video from earlier and Rivers is working out with the PG group (at least in the athletic testing portion), FWIW. If he really only has an 8'1" reach, he might have to.

Miles looked like he got a great no-step vert, didn't look like his best max vert though. Made a sort of awkward but surprising running hook on Zeller in the only shot I saw in the 2-on-2 drill. Rivers' max vert looked very good. Surprised the vertical numbers aren't out by now.

The 'lottery' is such a fake. They draw lottery balls behind closed doors??? Just so happens that a struggling franchise with a brand new big time owner happens to win the Anthony David lottery? Give me a break. I guarantee that was part of his deal in buying the hornets. 'I'll buy them if you throw in the #1 pick', and #10 for that matter. What a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    The 'lottery' is such a fake. They draw lottery balls behind closed doors??? Just so happens that a struggling franchise with a brand new big time owner happens to win the Anthony David lottery? Give me a break. I guarantee that was part of his deal in buying the hornets. 'I'll buy them if you throw in the #1 pick', and #10 for that matter. What a joke...
    Behind closed doors where every team has representatives and with journalists present as well. You can read what Zach Lowe from SI said about what he observed this year.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...seem-that-way/

Couple of reported promises lately. Dion Waiters -- who I spent some time with in Philly and like a whole lot -- reportedly has a promise in the mid-lottery. People were talking about the Raptors at No. 8, though Colangelo has denied it. But it seems to hold water, Waiters stopped working out for anyone.

And our own Austin Rivers might have one... From Yahoo's Marc Spears:

"One NBA assistant coach said he was surprised Austin Rivers didn’t work out at the NBA's predraft combine here Thursday. The East scout expects Rivers to be selected in the Nos. 10-20 range, but an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Rivers has a promise late in the draft lottery. The Portland Trail Blazers, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets plan to work out Rivers."

why behind closed doors? is roger goodell involved?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    why behind closed doors? is roger goodell involved?
    It is behind closed doors because they want to preserve the drama of revealing the order on live TV. Plus, it is not the kind of thing where they draw a name out of a hat. It is a sorta complicated process where ping-pong balls are drawn out with numbers on them (lottery-style) and the corresponding 3-digit number is matched up with a specific team that owns that number on the lottery board. Not sure if that makes sense but the reality is that doing it behind closed doors makes perfect sense and does nothing to enhance the odds of it being fixed (which are pretty much nil).

-Jason "now, when the Knicks got Patrick Ewing, that was a whole different situation " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

If you had the #2 pick, would you trade?

Charlotte has the #2 pick where the consensus guy to take there in Michel Kidd-Gilchrist. But they need a lot at almost every position. So if you were the Bobcats' GM what would you ask for in return? Some ideas -

Portland has #6 and #11, but would likely have to throw in a player (Nolan?) or a couple of second-rounders. Charlotte could get some pretty good talent with those picks. I think Portland is not entirely happy with Ray Felton either, so he could have a Charlotte homecoming.

Cleveland has #4, #24, #33, #34. I dont know that Charlotte could get a ton of talent later in the draft, but if they are not sold on MKG and see no difference between him Brad Beal and Thomas Robinson or Harrison Barnes, trading down makes sense.

This only makes sense if either Portland or Cleveland is higher than Charlotte on MKG.

I could also see where Washington or Cleveland might be willing to trade the #3 or #4 to Portland for the #6 and #11. Portland could be aiming for Beal or Thomas Robinson, and not see anyone they are excited enough about at #11 to think they are losing much.

Other deals that could be fun -

New Orleans trades the #1 and #10 picks for a big time player - Dwight Howard is actually the only player worth Anthony Davis and the #10 who would likely be traded. But NOLA would be crazy to do this unless Dwight agreed to a long-term deal first (See: Williams, Deron; New Jersey Nets) and I dont see Dwight wanting to go to NOLA during a rebuilding phase.

New Orleans could trade the #10 for a veteran who needs a change of scenery - Rudy Gay and Josh Smith come to mind.

One interesting idea that has been floating around is some deal built around the #2 for Rudy Gay. Personally, I think that would be a terrific move for the Bobcats, although I'm not sure if Memphis would be open to it. Gay is a proven star who hit some huge shots in the playoffs this year, and he's only 25. Would complement Henderson nicely as a big, athletic, number-one-option wing.

I'd say Charlotte is more than a year away from contending. Instead of turning a #2 pick into a few mid-lottery picks, they might be better served by taking the best player available, surrounding him with a few good character veterans, and then hoping to strike gold in next year's lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Charlotte has the #2 pick where the consensus guy to take there in Michel Kidd-Gilchrist. But they need a lot at almost every position. So if you were the Bobcats' GM what would you ask for in return? Some ideas -
    My impression is that, typically, a top NBA pick >> 2 late lotteries. It does seem this year that pick 2 is not >> than pick 10 (at least in terms of predictability), so if I were Charlotte, I'd definitely be interested in a trade.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

Portland has #6 and #11, but would likely have to throw in a player (Nolan?) or a couple of second-rounders. Charlotte could get some pretty good talent with those picks. I think Portland is not entirely happy with Ray Felton either, so he could have a Charlotte homecoming.

Cleveland has #4, #24, #33, #34. I dont know that Charlotte could get a ton of talent later in the draft, but if they are not sold on MKG and see no difference between him Brad Beal and Thomas Robinson or Harrison Barnes, trading down makes sense.

This only makes sense if either Portland or Cleveland is higher than Charlotte on MKG.

I could also see where Washington or Cleveland might be willing to trade the #3 or #4 to Portland for the #6 and #11. Portland could be aiming for Beal or Thomas Robinson, and not see anyone they are excited enough about at #11 to think they are losing much.

Other deals that could be fun -

New Orleans trades the #1 and #10 picks for a big time player - Dwight Howard is actually the only player worth Anthony Davis and the #10 who would likely be traded. But NOLA would be crazy to do this unless Dwight agreed to a long-term deal first (See: Williams, Deron; New Jersey Nets) and I dont see Dwight wanting to go to NOLA during a rebuilding phase.

New Orleans could trade the #10 for a veteran who needs a change of scenery - Rudy Gay and Josh Smith come to mind.
    Well, as the DBR GM of the Bobcats, were I allowed to do this for real, I trade that #2 pick all day long. I do everything possible to trade with one of the teams that has 2 First Rd picks, and ask for both for the #2, or the highest of the 2 picks plus a player. No way I keep the pick. That team needs far too much help to take just one player who isn't named Anthony Davis.

Charlotte needs to trade down to get as many players as possible be them 1st Rd picks this year or good players from the other team's existing roster.

Unfortunately for me, our rules will not allow me to trade the pick, so I have to use it wisely. I am down to 2 guys, just debating which one to go with. Hoping for a quality player to fall/slip into 2nd round so I can get a steal with that 2nd pick!

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    My impression is that, typically, a top NBA pick >> 2 late lotteries. It does seem this year that pick 2 is not >> than pick 10 (at least in terms of predictability), so if I were Charlotte, I'd definitely be interested in a trade.
    I think this is a very good point. The NBA is driven by the stars. Lots of years you have a pretty good shot at a star with one of the top 2-3 picks. This year, I think johnb has it right, there isn't a huge difference between #2 and #10 and a trade that'll get the Bobcats a top 10 pick and another player or two top 10/11 picks would be a good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I agree with your first point. You need a superstar to compete for a title, and the odds of finding a superstar after the first 3-5 picks drops off considerably. Oklahoma City has provided a perfect model for how to build a contender from scratch - they drafted:

2007 Durant (#2)
    2008 Westbrook (#4)
    2008 Ibaka (#24)
    2009 Harden (#3)

And then made some good trades to get guys like Perkins and picked up Derek Fisher for nothing. So I'd rather take a top guy every year and continue to stink for a few years while I stockpile high picks versus trading down for multiple lower-tier players, many of whom will be cut and available for nothing in a season or two.