Curry undergoes surgery

Portions of Duke press release.

"Seth Curry, a 2013 Sporting News second team All-America, underwent surgery Monday on the right lower extremity injury that he played on throughout the 2012-13 season. The Charlotte, N.C., native averaged a team-high 17.5 points per game while shooting 43.8 percent (95-of-217) from three-point range despite being limited in practice with the injury.

“Seth showed tremendous toughness, both mental and physical, this season while playing through the injury,” said head coach Mike Krzyzewski. “He had an amazing season even though he was held out of a majority of our practices. This surgery will further stabilize the leg and help the healing process as Seth prepares for a bright professional career.”

The surgery was successfully performed at the Duke University Medical Center by Dr. Robert Zura and assisted by Dr. Claude T. Moorman. Curry is expected to be sidelined 10-12 weeks."

Crazy that two of our best players (and senior leaders) were plagued with lower extremity injuries that forced them to have surgery almost immediately after the season... and that both played through those injuries as much as possible.

Oh, what might have been with a healthier Kelly and Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Crazy that two of our best players (and senior leaders) were plagued with lower extremity injuries that forced them to have surgery almost immediately after the season... and that both played through those injuries as much as possible.

Yep. The other downside of this is the fact that two marginal draft prospects will be sidelined at a time when they would rather be at pre-draft camps, private workouts and other venues that would enable them to demonstrate their abilities to the NBA.

It's not like NBA folks haven't had plenty of chances to see these guys in action. But you'd like for them to have a chance to bolster their chances.

props to seth....get better soon, man...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Huh

That's odd. I saw curry perform at the ACC Crossfire Basketball Game in Asheville, NC. I also saw Plumlee go off for 32 and Kelly signing autographs.

So what exactly was the injury and the surgery? Any detail? This is all kinda vague. When will Seth be back on the court for NBA workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    So what exactly was the injury and the surgery? Any detail? This is all kinda vague. When will Seth be back on the court for NBA workouts?
    "The surgery was successfully performed at the Duke University Medical Center by Dr. Robert Zura and assisted by Dr. Claude T. Moorman. Curry is expected to be sidelined 10-12 weeks."

It would seem that apparently he will be missing most of the pre-draft workouts, given that the draft occurs in about 10 weeks, I believe, on Thursday, June 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yep. The other downside of this is the fact that two marginal draft prospects will be sidelined at a time when they would rather be at pre-draft camps, private workouts and other venues that would enable them to demonstrate their abilities to the NBA.
    I would like to draw more attention to this fact pointed out above by Jim. Not only did Seth and Ryan truly play hurt, but they did so knowing that giving their all for Duke this year could lessen their chances at playing in the NBA next year. Both are great college players but borderline NBA prospects and not being able to participate in the pre-draft process could be the difference between playing in the NBA or in Europe next year.

To me, this is the embodiment of being a true team player. Thanks to both Ryan and Seth and I hope that Mr. Sumner is also correct that the NBA personnel people have seen what they can do and they get a chance to stick in the league
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

You read my mind CDu. True warriors, and had both been 100% healthy the entire season there is zero doubt in my mind all 3 Seniors would have averaged more points per game than they did (Ryan's injury hurt Mason's numbers for 13 games), Seth likely averages 21+ppg, Mason 19+ ppg, and Ryan 15+ ppg. The incredible starting 5 would have gelled throughout the season, and this team wins 35 games, at least 1 of the ACC titles if not both, and plays in Atlanta. As good as Louisville was in the end, we may have fallen short of the ultimate goal, but one of Syracuse, Michigan, or Wichita St would have been home watching either a Duke/Lousiville semi-final, or a Duke/Louisville final. It was 2010-11 all over again in that sense. No one will ever convince me that we did not absolutely lose two Final Four appearances to injury in these two particular seasons. It just sucks to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

It's not like NBA folks haven't had plenty of chances to see these guys in action. But you'd like for them to have a chance to bolster their chances.
    This also sucks due to the fact this is the absolute worst draft ever, and a 100% healthy Seth and Ryan had a great chance to get drafted by a team needing their skill set in either late 1st Round or early 2nd round. Like the Renfree injury, this puts these 3 guys in very tough, uphill battles and pretty much will cost them a full season. Seth and Ryan lose the ability to play in the summer league on top of the pre-draft stuff you mention above. I will keep saying it until people listen and stop with the ridiculous "Duke Curse" mantra, but the real Duke curse is injuries to key Football and Basketball players that continue to haunt us holding back both programs from reaching what could have been acheivable goals. It is high time this curse is broken and passed on to some other school. I vote we pass it on to UNC-Cheat as the penalty and price for scamming their way to Final Fours and National Titles in hoops with players who were not real college students, and scamming their way to those lowly Belk Bowls. At least in Football it got them squat, but the penalty should be served moving forward for attempting to build a Football Powerhouse the wrong way.

Hope that both Seth and Ryan can make full recoveries and get back to "A Game" level on the court. If they do, both can make it with the right team. If Ben Hansflop can play in the league, then Seth Curry certainly can. Ryan Kelly can absolutely make it given his skill set at his height.

Wishing both a quick return to full health.

Get well Seth!!! Get strong and carry on the family tradition.
    True grit getting through this past season!

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I, too, am interested. What was the surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Probably never know - K owns a Cone of Silence, and isn't afraid to use it.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Probably never know - K owns a Cone of Silence, and isn't afraid to use it.

-jk
    I assume details will come out as NBA teams look at Seth. NBA GM's blab about everything.

Besides that, what's the point of not releasing the info if it was bone spurs, a scope or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by tim28 View Post
    That's odd. I saw curry perform at the ACC Crossfire Basketball Game in Asheville, NC. I also saw Plumlee go off for 32 and Kelly signing autographs.
    The front page notes this as well, which does not jibe with their report that he would be out 10-12 weeks. It also raises the question of why the surgery was not performed early in the season if the recovery time is so short. Somethin' ain't right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    The front page notes this as well, which does not jibe with their report that he would be out 10-12 weeks. It also raises the question of why the surgery was not performed early in the season if the recovery time is so short. Somethin' ain't right.
    Ah, the surgery was Monday and the game was Sunday. Never mind.

It's amazing that a guy can average 17.5 points a game, on a significantly injured leg, on a top five team, against one of the toughest schedules in the country. I wonder what a healthy Curry would have average against Southern Conference competition--all the sportsrags would be saying he was better than his broth, a top draft pick etc. I too have idle curiosity about what he had done for surgery, but remember, it is NOT Coach K's or anyone but the patient's right to disclose health information, by law. In fact, in North Carolina it is an actual crime (a misdemeanor) to disclose health information to inappropriate parties without permission.

Actually, it is a Federal offense now.

ricks