Summer Reading List

I was curious as to what everyone is reading this summer!

I just got finished with a nice biography of Lorenzo de Medici Magnifico by Miles Unger. The author paints Lorenzo in a much-too-positive light I think, and goes to the well of "Well, we might call Lorenzo corrupt, but all politics was corrupt in Medieval/Renaissance Europe" too often, but it was a nice narrative that shed some light on the accomplishments of a pretty remarkable man. Thankfully, I'm still fascinated by this time period of history.

I have switched gears (just a little) to Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free by Charles Pierce. You can probably guess from the title where this might be headed, sort of along the lines of Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert.

For me, I still really enjoy non-fiction and occasionally a historical fiction work during the lazy summer days. But I must admit, I did really enjoy the Hunger Games despite the fact they got worse as the series progressed.

Just finished The Path between the Seas and before that it was Exodus.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Per a suggestion on another thread, I just finished Tony Hellerman's The Blessing Way. Have two more Joe Leaphorn mysteries in the tri-novel book Amazon delivered.

Will probably re-read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance which seems to be a random summer ritual. Phaedrus would approve.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Just finished The Path between the Seas ...
    I still have McCullough's latest book to get to, The Greater Journey, but am looking forward to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I still have McCullough's latest book to get to, The Greater Journey, but am looking forward to reading it.
    After completing the Panama Canal reading and learning about Roosevelt's influence, my next undertaking might be Mornings on Horseback.

Currently reading "The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore" by Benjamin Hale. Recommend it. Very funny so far.

Very intelligent group we have here.
    I may be dragging down the grade point average but I'm halfway through The Marriage Plot by Eugenedies and about to start The Emperor of All Maladies although it's a few years old. Muller's The Appointrment is next in the pile.

My summer reading list is the same as my spring reading list. I'm about 60% finished reading Shelby Foote's massive three-volume narrative on the Civil War. It's extraordinary.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    My summer reading list is the same as my spring reading list. I'm about 60% finished reading Shelby Foote's massive three-volume narrative on the Civil War. It's extraordinary.
    Foote's books have been sitting unread on my bookshelf for YEARS. I want to read them, but I'm intimidated by the sheer page count.

First up for me this summer - "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. My mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and this book has been recommended to me by several. After that, I'll need something lighter, and my eager-to-read nine-year-old and I may read the Narnia books together.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Foote's books have been sitting unread on my bookshelf for YEARS. I want to read them, but I'm intimidated by the sheer page count.

First up for me this summer - "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. My mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and this book has been recommended to me by several. After that, I'll need something lighter, and my eager-to-read nine-year-old and I may read the Narnia books together.

I just finished A Stillness at Appomattox, Bruce Catton's 1954 Pulitzer Prize winner (for history) and the third in his Civil War Trilogy (sometimes called The Army of the Potomac Trilogy). The other two are Mr. Lincoln's Army and Glory Road. These are still excellent histories of the civil war and one of Foote's sources. They can be found in a single volume.

Catton died in 1978 at age 78. Here's a link to his Wiki bio.

So if Foote is too great an undertaking, maybe Catton will satisfy you.

And then there is a City Reads program in my town which has selected The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (1928-1988). This is the 1975 Pulitizer Prize winner for fiction. The fiction aspect is limited; in fact it is a wonderfully accurate account of the Battle of Gettysburg. I think it is considered fiction due to the author's guessing at dialog between historical figures, dialog which probably occurred, but for which there is no actual record.

Michael Shaara created this genre of historical fiction and his son Jeffrey has continued it. In fact, Jeff is an invited speaker for our program, One City, One Book. (Disclosure: My wife is one of the program's committee members.)

All of the Shaara historical novels, whether by father or son, are well worth reading.

Just started Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas this week. A biography about a pastor, martyr, prophet and spy who was executed several weeks before WWII ended for being involved with a plot to murder Hitler in the early 40s. Maybe I will be able to finish this 542 page monster before getting my next McCullough book in a couple weeks for Father's Day.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I just finished A Stillness at Appomattox, Bruce Catton's 1954 Pulitzer Prize winner (for history) and the third in his Civil War Trilogy (sometimes called The Army of the Potomac Trilogy). The other two are Mr. Lincoln's Army and Glory Road. These are still excellent histories of the civil war and one of Foote's sources. They can be found in a single volume.

Catton died in 1978 at age 78. Here's a link to his Wiki bio.

So if Foote is too great an undertaking, maybe Catton will satisfy you.

And then there is a City Reads program in my town which has selected The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (1928-1988). This is the 1975 Pulitizer Prize winner for fiction. The fiction aspect is limited; in fact it is a wonderfully accurate account of the Battle of Gettysburg. I think it is considered fiction due to the author's guessing at dialog between historical figures, dialog which probably occurred, but for which there is no actual record.

Michael Shaara created this genre of historical fiction and his son Jeffrey has continued it. In fact, Jeff is an invited speaker for our program, One City, One Book. (Disclosure: My wife is one of the program's committee members.)

All of the Shaara historical novels, whether by father or son, are well worth reading.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've read "Killer Angels", and it's excellent. I had heard from others that Jeff's works didn't quite measure up to his dad, so I haven't read them yet. Perhaps I need to revisit that decision. And the tip to Catton sounds interesting - I'll look into it. And Foote's books remain on my bucket list...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Foote's Killer too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've read "Killer Angels", and it's excellent. I had heard from others that Jeff's works didn't quite measure up to his dad, so I haven't read them yet. Perhaps I need to revisit that decision. And the tip to Catton sounds interesting - I'll look into it. And Foote's books remain on my bucket list...
    If you liked Killer Angels, you'll probably enjoy Foote. Also, along those lines, McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom is excellent.

I recently reread Heart of Darkness, and Captains Courageous (eh...), but not sure I recommend them. On the nautical theme, I found Conrad's "The Secret Sharer" more interesting.

Hemingway's Islands in the Stream was compelling, and Kandel's "The Age of Insight" was amazing in both it's content and delivery (it's discounted online).

For one you might not be able to put down, try Davies The Deptford Trilogy.

Also, sprinkle in a bit of Rumi and some Rilke and that should about do it.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Very intelligent group we have here.
    I may be dragging down the grade point average but I'm halfway through The Marriage Plot by Eugenedies and about to start The Emperor of All Maladies although it's a few years old. Muller's The Appointrment is next in the pile.
    I read and highly recommend the Emperor of All Maladies. I will be interested in what you think of it. For others, it is a self-styled "biography of cancer" from the earliest known cases in ancient Egypt and Greece to the present day and deals with efforts to find cures.

sagegrouse

Lincoln

As several of you may be Civil War buffs, I thought to recommend a great, great study of Lincoln, sort of a biography, but focusing on his public life. It's William Lee Miller's 2-volume study. Pre-presidential, which I'd strongly recommend you start with, is Miller, Lincoln's Virtues: An Ethical Biography. Then comes Miller, President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman. I believe if you read just the preface [5 pages] of Lincoln's Virtues, or perhaps just the table of contents, you'll be hooked.

There are many fine studies of Lincoln. Some of you will know Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals, or perhaps David Donald, Lincoln, or several other excellent recent studies. But so help me, Miller's 2 volumes are brilliant. He knows Lincoln inside and out, understands both the sources and substance of Lincoln's uniqueness, writes wonderfully non-academic prose [for an academic, which most certainly he is], and has lots of insights. He "talks to the reader," in ways I think you'll notice. He's informal, occasionally whimsical [e.g., not many academics would use the word "goofy," period], tells good stories. Sort of like Lincoln.

And just in case anyone wants to read some about the "private Lincoln," there's a whole new set of terrific books on that subject, along with one or two duds. You could PM me.

The Big Short

Just finished reading The Big Short by Michael Lewis. It's an excellent coverage of the CDO meltdown from the viewpoint of some who not only saw what was coming but invested accordingly. Interestingly, Lewis finds "pretty much all the important people on both sides of the gamble left the table rich."

"What are the odds that people will make smart decisions about money if they don't need to make smart decisions-if they can get rich making dumb decisions? The incentives on Wall Street were all wrong; they're still all wrong."

Sounds just like the 1970's when I got the heck out of there. They were pushing all kinds of ridiculous tax avoidance scams (leasing railroad cars, etc.) which also blew up, but not before the commission checks had been cashed.

Easy Listening

I do most of my "reading" via audiobook -- I just finished listening to Steve Martin read his own autobiography, "Born Standing Up." It's about his childhood and stand-up comedy career, covering up to the point where he walked away from standup in 1981 and never went back. It was a good summer read if you appreciate his style and accomplishments., I think he's (to quote Will Hunting) "wicked smaht," even though he typically plays the idiot/goofball, and found his writing insightful and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    As several of you may be Civil War buffs, I thought to recommend a great, great study of Lincoln, sort of a biography, but focusing on his public life. It's William Lee Miller's 2-volume study. Pre-presidential, which I'd strongly recommend you start with, is Miller, Lincoln's Virtues: An Ethical Biography. Then comes Miller, President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman. I believe if you read just the preface [5 pages] of Lincoln's Virtues, or perhaps just the table of contents, you'll be hooked.

There are many fine studies of Lincoln. Some of you will know Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals, or perhaps David Donald, Lincoln, or several other excellent recent studies. But so help me, Miller's 2 volumes are brilliant. He knows Lincoln inside and out, understands both the sources and substance of Lincoln's uniqueness, writes wonderfully non-academic prose [for an academic, which most certainly he is], and has lots of insights. He "talks to the reader," in ways I think you'll notice. He's informal, occasionally whimsical [e.g., not many academics would use the word "goofy," period], tells good stories. Sort of like Lincoln.

And just in case anyone wants to read some about the "private Lincoln," there's a whole new set of terrific books on that subject, along with one or two duds. You could PM me.
    About two weeks ago, on a trip through the Midwest, I spent a long morning at the new Lincoln Library and Museum in Springfield, Illinois. (Opened in 2005.) For Lincoln buffs, this is a must. It is a terrific overview of two paths: pre-presidential and the White House years. For the war, there is a wonderful theatrical presentation which you have to see to believe. I know it's not summer reading, but for those who are vacationing in the area, it is a virtual requirement.