Computer audio problems - suggestions?

Within the past week I have experienced audio problems that can best be described as an intermittent "buzz" which sometimes manifests itself along the lines of making "very" sound like "verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry."

I have not knowingly changed anything on the desktop computer, and all updates/virus checks are current.

The same problem presents with IE and Firefox, as well as when I watch a movie on Netflix. Overall system is 64-bit Win7.

Everything else, including video quality and web page access speed, appears normal. I have a medium-range DSL connection from AT&T, and it is directly connected to my desktop as well as to a router for other household uses.

Does anyone have suggestions as to where I might look to resolve this problem? Needless to say, it is quite a nuisance when watching online videos, YouTube, etc.

FYI: In able to view online NetFlix, I did have to uninstall/reinstall the "Silverlight" software, per instructions of Netflix. Is this a possible issue???

Thanks in advance!

k

I'm not computer techie, but do you keep a cell phone near the computer/monitor/speakers? When I have my cell phone on my desk at work, I have to make sure it's far away from the monitor (with speaker attached) or I get a fun buzzing from the speaker.

Just a thought. I'll let the professionals chime in now.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Is it like a skipping sound? If so I'd check for both sound card driver updates and codec updates, and I'd upgrade (or flat out reinstall) your Flash player. Especially if you only notice it on websites, then it sounds like an issue that one of those will fix.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If the problem started at the same time as silverlight was installed, I'd suspect a codec issue. Silverlight shouldn't have touched the driver itself. Isolating the problem can be tedious, though.

But first thing: if you're using built-in speakers, try external speakers or vice versa. If external, try a different set/headphones, too. It's probably not a speaker thing (yes, that's the technical term) if the sounds are being drawn out rather than just distorted, but it's too easy not to test first - and all the other work would be a waste if it is a speaker thing.

You should have Windows Media Player - it comes with Win7. Do you have QuickTime installed, too? (If not, they're both free; get 'em.) Do they both exhibit the same issue? You should test Flash, too; even though it's awful software, lots of sites still require it - especially for video. (Please, HTML5, put us out of our Flash misery.) Make sure all versions are current.

If you go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ you can check your flash installation
    If you go to http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/ you can test your quicktime (and watch some movie trailers, too)

Try playing a music cd and a movie dvd using both WMP and QT.

Get some audio test files. Try playing them through the players. Here are some sites with some audio test files (note that wma plays on very little except windows media player):

ftp://ftp.orban.com/1010/Calibration/ (wav, aac, mp4)
    http://www.testsounds.com/ (mp3)
    http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-down...testfiles.aspx (mp3, wma)

Does any of this help isolate the problem?

-jk

1. Put a disc (or pull up a download) of London Calling by The Clash.

2. Turn the sound up to 11 and crank the sucker, end to end.

3. If that doesn't solve the problem, it's not worth having sound. Just hit "mute" and be done with it.

Hope that helps. OPK

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

3. If that doesn't solve the problem, it's not worth having sound. Just hit "mute" and be done with it.

Hope that helps. OPK
    Bwahahahahahahaha! Threadjack alert... I love that song, and several years ago there was a tribute to The Clash on an music awards show (I forget which) and there was an all-star rendition of London Calling. And by all-star, I mean Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, and more. I can't remember everyone off the top of my head, but wow, it was a wicked line-up and they killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Hope that helps. OPK
    if you want to test your audio card/output, try greenday's "american idiot"....that should shake out the problems...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Progress of a sort

Sorry for the delay - I've been busy.

Thanks for all suggestions. FWIW: You need to remember I was at Duke when Bob Verga was launching rainbows... But I will consider those CDs.

I have pretty well eliminated any issues with the modem/DSL/router, mainly by running some YouTube stuff through a separate laptop. Sound was fine there. Also ran AT&T speed test, giving 1.40 Mbps download, which is sufficient for my normal web access.

I played a DVD on desktop - same sound problem exhibited.

Uninstalled/reinstalled audio driver from ASUS web site, essentially no change.

Powered down all, pulled/reconnected all wires at back of computer. Sound was fine....thought I had it licked!

Later today, same problems as before.

My guess is failing sound board, possibly related to heat in tower, although fan(s) operating normally. There also may be another component failure somewhere giving the symptoms.

I did have to let my blood pressure calm down as yesterday I went back to the purchase site (bought computer in January at local CompUSA) and, in so many words, was told they would not touch it and I would need to send it to an ASUS repair facility. I imagine the closest one is several time zones away....

It's not the end of the world, but I do find it most aggravating.

So...any further suggestions will be appreciated. (I just checked in tonight, and will not have time to run the various diagnostics provided until perhaps this weekend.)

Thanks again!

k