Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

And don't forget ...

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    You’ve got a stellar cast, Harrison Ford as Deckard, Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty, and the stunning Sean Young as Rachel. The other supporting actors are also very good.
    Don't forget Daryl Hannah (two years before stardom in Splash) as Pris. Throw in Edward James Olmos, Johanna Cassidy, Joe Turkel and the great William Sanderson ("Hi, I'm Larry ... this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl"). I was lucky enough to find a five-disc set of Blade Runner that includes four different versions -- the 1982 Theaterical version (with the unnecessary voice-over), the 1982 European version (same voice-over, but a little more skin), the 1992 Director's Cut (which got rid of the voice over) and the 2007 "Final Cut" which is basically the '92 Director's Cut with a a few more shots -- mostly on the roof in the final showdown between Hauer and Decker.

In none of the versions is it ever suggsted that Decker is a replicant ... a favorite fan-boy interpretation of the film.

If you are coming to the film for the first tme, I would suggest either the '92 Director's Cut or the '07 Final Cut.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Overrated - Bridesmaids

Guilty Pleasure - Cabin Boy "My pipes have been cleaned!" also "Man, I hate them fancy lads." also "I haven't powdered my bottom since I was 17!" Although I will admit the third act of this movie falls completely apart, just turn it off after 75 minutes.

Adding controversial opinions into the mix Shakespeare in Love is a much better movie than Saving Private Ryan - two extended battle scenes around a very boring middle. The English Patient is kinda like the reverse of The Three Stooges. In general, women get it and men don't. Albert Brooks was not robbed of an Oscar nomination for Drive but Ryan Gosling was.

BTW - The English Patient as a movie bears only minimal similarities to the book. Kristen Scott Thomas and Colin Firth's characters (and a pre-injury Ralph Fiennes) do not exist in the book. Their characters' names are taken from one line at the beginning and are never mentioned again.

guilty pleasures:

james bond movies

any movie with bruce campbell

overrated:

any AUSTIN POWERS movie.

any TYLER PERRY movie

any KLUMPS movie

any twilite movie

any movie with ben stiller
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I agree with you, moonpie, when I say Twilight sux (can I say that around here?), I'm rating it too highly.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    overrated:
    any TYLER PERRY movie
    Who in history ever gave any Tyler Perry movie 5 stars? You know they print at the bottom of his movie posters in tiny letters "This is a Tyler Perry movie so we know it sucks, but it will also make lots of money so we've already filmed half the sequel."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Totally agree with you about Desperado. The first 5-10 minutes -- with Steve Buscemi telling his story in that seedy bar (with Cheech Martin as a bemused bartender) is one of the great openings in screen history. After that, the film goes a little off-track (although as you suggest, Ms. Hayek is always worth watching). But that opening ... wow!
    So, just a couple nights ago Desperado was on Encore or one of those channels and I caught it right as it started for the first time in a while. I actually said to myself, "I need to start a thread about movies with great opening scenes."

So, needless to say, I agree about the opening sequence of Desperado being fabulous. The writing in that scene was just delicious:

"There he was and in he walked. He was dark, too. I don't mean dark-skinned. No, this was different. It was as if he was always walking in a shadow. I mean every step he took towards the light, just when you thought his face was about to be revealed, it wasn't. It was as if the lights dimmed, just for him."

"No man, bartender got it worse than anybody."
    The movie does break down a bit after that, but WOW, what a beginning!

-Jason "I also recently recorded Big Trouble to show to my sons... I am not sure they will get it, but I will enjoy watching it with them" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Just a short post for now - if I get a chance later, I'll follow up with more...

Regarding overrated films, I'll throw out two - "Citizen Kane" and "Rashomon". Don't get me wrong - I agree that "Citizen Kane" is a great movie. But it gets almost universal acclaim as the greatest film of all time, and I just don't see it. Yes, it's an excellent film - compelling story, great acting, amazing cinematography - but for me it just doesn't stand head and shoulders above other cinematic greats. I understand much of the technical wizardry that Welles and company accomplished in making the film, but to me, that doesn't make it a greater film unless it truly impacts the viewing experience. Does it? Maybe some, but not enough for me to call it the best of all time. Not even close.

As for "Rashomon", I just don't get it at all. I see that it's well-made, and the idea behind the story is interesting. And I get that one of it's innovations was that just because you see it on screen doesn't make it true. But still, to call this one of the truly great films? I just don't see it.

And regarding some guilty favorites - I'll second (or third) the vote for "Big Trouble in Little China", and I'll add it's "prequel" - "Buckaroo Banzai - Across the 8th Dimension". Some other guilty favorites - "The Rocketeer", the Disney version of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", "Animal House", "El Cid", and "Smokey and the Bandit". I don't really feel all that guilty about loving these films - well maybe a little bit about "Bandit" - but I love them while recognizing that they aren't so-called "great" films.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Guilty Pleasures:

Better off Dead/One Crazy Summer - solid comedies without all the crass of a Porky's/Animal House.
    Any Superhero movie, no matter how bad. I went to see Green Lantern in the theatre if that says anything.
    Armageddon, Independence Day, most summer blockbusters that have a decent plot.
    Transformers movies - I am a child of the 80s.

Overrated:
    Blade Runner I agree with. Tried to watch it a couple of times, but just never got it. One time I fell asleep.
    Raging Bull/Das Boot - Made it maybe 20 minutes in before I gave up.
    Clockwork Orange - got it, but didn't like it
    Silence of the Lambs - Lecter never creeped me out, so the movie never worked for me. I couldn't get scared of a guy who looked like a grandpa, even if he was demented.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Guilty Pleasures:
    Any Superhero movie, no matter how bad.
    Okay...ANY superhero movie?

I'm going to challenge that with the following questions...

Catwoman?
    Daredevil?
    Elektra?
    Superman 3?

If you answered yes to all 4, then you truly have a passion for superhero movies...

Finally, in honor of you, I will add one guilty pleasure...

Highlander!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

Catwoman?
    Daredevil?
    Elektra?
    Superman 3?

If you answered yes to all 4, then you truly have a passion for superhero movies...

Highlander!
    You mean you did not like Richard Pryor's brilliant performance in Superman 3?

Heck, if you want a really bad superhero movie, what about Superman 4: The Quest for Peace. Wow, that was one horrible movie.

Also, Highlander is not a guilty pleasure. It is a fine film, one which launched quite a bit of a franchise. Now, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Highlander films were just godawful. The TV series was pretty good too.

-Jason "they are making a Highlander reboot with Ryan Reynolds as Connor McLeod" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Guilty PLeasures:

"Tremors" - USA Network used to show this all the time, but it doesn't show up too often lately. Truly stupid, but wonderfully fun and a terrific cast for a bargain basement product like that (avoid all sequels, however).

"Stripes" - I always have to watch a couple scenes of this whenever I run across it on tv. Bill Murray's inspirational speech alone is worth a look. Harold Ramis at his sleaziest. Good cast. "Lighten up, Francis" has become iconic (not to mention: "Where are your troops, soldier?.... "Blooooown up, sir!").

"Road House" Deeply embarrassing for me to list this one and another cable favorite. Beyond dreadful in every way, but so deliciously cheesy I cannot turn away entirely when it's on. I mean, after all, Patrick Swayze as legendarily laconic philosopher/bouncer in rural Kentucky? Who comes up with these pitches? I'm pretty sure this wasn't meant to be a comedy, but it sure is to me.

"Four Weddings and a Funeral" - Not quite so embarrassing, but if you look at it closely it's really a pretty bad movie structurally, and there is zero character development for the main protagonists. They never even bother to tell you what the Hugh Grant character does for a living, and there has never been a more cardboard non-existant personality on film than the Andie McDowell character - a big hat on top of utter vaccuousness (they sure picked the right actress for the role, however). But somehow everyone else is very appealing, and it's pretty to look at (and I'm an Anglophile).

I will defend "Shakespeare In Love" any time. A wonderful fictional tale that carries me along compulsively. Smart on several different levels, and any screenplay by Tom Stoppard leaves pretty much all others in the dust. The little Hollywood inside jokes are nice as well. Just don't take the plot itself seriously, but you're not supposed to in Shakespeare plays either. That's the point. Just enjoy the human frailties and emotions on the ride, which is what mattered most to The Bard.

(What I can't understand is what has now become the annual dumping of mindless comic book garbage into summer movie theaters when real movies that mattered could be showing instead. I wouldn't pay a penny for that dreck, and don't.)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Also, Highlander is not a guilty pleasure. It is a fine film, one which launched quite a bit of a franchise. Now, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Highlander films were just godawful. The TV series was pretty good too.

-Jason "they are making a Highlander reboot with Ryan Reynolds as Connor McLeod" Evans
    Coming from a fan of Highlander, I rewatched it recently, and there are aspects of the movie (including the acting by the leads other than Clancy Brown) that are really, really bad. Still, it's a cool movie with a great concept that I enjoy.

P.S.

Hmmm... Can't figure out how to edit previous posts, but in 'Stripes" above the quotation should be,
    "Where is your drill sergeant, soldier?"... "Bloooooowwwwwnnnn up, Sir!' There.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I enjoyed The English Patient and have watched it completely 3 times. I think its a great movie. And whoever said that True Grit 2.0 was overrated will have to endure my eternal wrath. I grew up loving the western genre, but fell away from it in high school when I would rewatch them and realize how terrible many of them were. True Grit is very special.

My "guilty pleasures" are defined by movies that I will stop and watch or record on TV almost any time I see them on...but when asked over the phone or text what I am doing will only respond with "watching TV" rather than the name of the movie ;P They are characterized primarily by cheesy action movies with a couple well know actors who have good chemistry together.

Independence Day (aliens, massive destruction, Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum? check!)
    Mask of Zorro (Hopkins, Banderas, swordplay, a sumptuous Salma Hayek? check!)
    The Rock (terrorists, Marines vs Navy Seals, poison gas, Cage and Connery? check!)
    Die Hard With a Vengeance (Willis and Jackson, terrorists, bank robbery? check!)
    Live Free or Die Hard (I really wanted to hate this movie, but I can't not watch it)
    Rush Hour franchise (I think you get it now)

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

Catwoman?
    Daredevil?
    Elektra?
    Superman 3?

Highlander!
    Didn't see Catwoman. Saw it on TV last week and tried to watch it, but couldn't. Berry's sashay walk annoyed me.
    Daredevil - Saw it. Thought it was OK.
    Elektra - didn't see it. Probably would watch it though.
    Superman 3 - saw it, along with Superman 4 and the others...

Off the top of my head, the ones I have seen include:
    Captain America - the one from the 80s
    The Flash - TV series. Saw them all.
    Both Hulk movies
    All the Hulk made for TV movies with Bill and Lou, including the one with Thor.
    Superman Returns
    All the Batman movies, including the one with George Clooney
    The Adam West Batman series (and movie)
    Both Punishers
    Both Hellboys
    Ghost Rider #1 - Waiting for #2 on DVD
    Green Lantern
    All X Men Movies, including Wolverine
    All Spiderman Movies
    Most cartoons - Avengers is actually pretty good and still on.
    I grew up on "Superfriends" and "Spiderman and his Amazing Friends" on Saturday morning.

As for Highlander, I'm more of a passing fan. I share some McLeod ancestry with Duncan and Conner, so that's the connection more than anything...
    "There can BE only one."

Another of my guilty fleasures is on - American Flyers. Kevin Costner, David Grant, Rae Dawn Chong, Alexandra Paul - 1985. Jennifer Grey has a small part. Eddy Merckx plays himself.

Just saw my favorite seen - where they go riding with Eddie - a real son of a b&%$^. I'm such a cycling nerd - I love the scenes where they show rear cog as the rider shifts.
    Last edited by DukieInKansas; 06-04-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Maybe we should stipulate "Overrated" to mean "Movies I just don't get, despite the fact that they're popular, critically acclaimed and/or the subject of a seemingly large amount of positive word-of-mouth buzz." In that spirit, I'm with those who included Fight Club. I'll also add just about any Wes Anderson movie. I thought Rushmore was OK, but that's it. I was "meh" about Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenenbaums. The Life Aquatic made me want to scratch my eyes out and jam forks into my ears.

Another one I'll throw on that pile -- Slumdog Millionaire. It was a nice flick. But Best Picture? Really? More a testament to the weakness of the field that year than anything else, IMO. Of course, it's hardly the first time the Best Picture winner has been a head-scratcher.

As for Guilty Pleasures -- in the same vein as above, let's stipulate it to mean "Movies that I like, despite the fact that they're generally viewed as bad, and I even know they're bad, but I still like them anyway." Using that definition, I can't include stuff like Animal House, Porky's, or any of the classic Ah-nuld canon flicks (Terminator/Commando/Predator/Running Man/Total Recall/Terminator 2/True Lies), because they were (and still are recognized as) popular and successful at what they were trying to be.

For me, this conversation begins and ends with Hudson Hawk.

I'd actually defend Terminator and Terminator 2 as being quite good movies. Terminator 2 suffered from painfully bad voiceovers from Linda Hamilton, but not nearly enough to ruin an otherwise very good action movie.

That being said, I agree with Tom B.'s definitions of what we mean by overrated and guilty pleasures. This is a very subjective discussion, and one person's overrated movie is another's great flick (ie: my wife really disliked The Hurt Locker...I thought it was very, very good).

I'm going to fess up to another guilty pleasure. Legend. Visually stunning, but otherwise deeply flawed and deserved to be panned. The storyline made NO sense at all. Tom Cruise was just not in his element, at all. But Tim Curry's Darkness was mesmerizing, and I can sit and watch the movie just for his screentime.

One more overrated for me: Pan's Labyrinth. Also visually stunning, and well acted throughout...but I so thoroughly detested so many of the characters, and the terrible cruelty to children, that the movie turned me off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post

Overrated:

Twister: Still stunned this did as well as it did. Look, if you are going to make a movie where things happen that could never happen, you have to be able to wink at the audience about it. Independence Day did that. Lots of movies do. Twister wanted you to believe this could happen. Even the opening scene, where the dad gets killed - why the hell would he hold on to the door? You are in a cellar. Let the door go...hell, everyone else in the cellar still lived. The movie lost me right there and never, ever, ever got me back (yes, I'm bitter about this one).
    Curious how you think Twister is overrated? I do not know many people who enjoy the movie or find it a guilty pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Curious how you think Twister is overrated? I do not know many people who enjoy the movie or find it a guilty pleasure.
    Agreed -- the only reason I know it even exists is because of that scene where the cow is twirling in the tornado gets spoofed on.