Crazies Favorite Player

Duke fan here that now resides in Texas. Never been to the state of NC, so obviously never attended a game at Cameron.

Since Duke's first national title in 1991 til present day, who would you say has been the Cameron Crazies favorite Duke player and state the case for that player. I'm not necessarily looking for your favorite player (unless you have been or are a Crazie) but the most popular player and why.

I don't feel like I can add much input being that I have never been to a game or games in Cameron to truly experience how they feel about certain players (pregame, in game, timeouts, post game).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    Duke fan here that now resides in Texas. Never been to the state of NC, so obviously never attended a game at Cameron.

Since Duke's first national title in 1991 til present day, who would you say has been the Cameron Crazies favorite Duke player and state the case for that player. I'm not necessarily looking for your favorite player (unless you have been or are a Crazie) but the most popular player and why.

I don't feel like I can add much input being that I have never been to a game or games in Cameron to truly experience how they feel about certain players (pregame, in game, timeouts, post game).
    In the time I've followed Duke basketball (1999-present), Shane Battier. No question. The crazies just adored him, both as a player and in his stature as a leader. The way Cameron would just go bananas with "Who's your daddy? BATTIER!" will be hard to top.

The one guy I think might beat him out would be Grant Hill-- but I wasn't there to see it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post
    In the time I've followed Duke basketball (1999-present), Shane Battier. No question. The crazies just adored him, both as a player and in his stature as a leader. The way Cameron would just go bananas with "Who's your daddy? BATTIER!" will be hard to top.

The one guy I think might beat him out would be Grant Hill-- but I wasn't there to see it.
    A couple year's ago this same question popped up, and a poll was taken. I believe it was pretty exhaustive, with elimination rounds. Yer Daddy won the poll, and even signed on and posted to express his thanks and thoughts. It was very cool. Do some searching and you will probably be able to find it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Even though I thought it was a little undeserved until midway through his senior year, those kids freaking loved Zoubek. the Zoubs chant I thought was done in part to maybe hide some boos, because I, while not booing, was not particularly excited when Zoubek came into the game.

Thankfully, I was proven wrong, and he showed me that injuries were what really held him back in his career at Duke, because he walked out with a ring, and played a big part in obtaining that ring.

Sorry, little off topic, but yeah, they loved Zoubek.

Nolan Smith.

"I don't think any Duke player has connected with the student body as well as Nolan has" -Coach K. He is the People's Champ!

I agree that it's Battier, but honorable mention goes to Nate's "a badass" James.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A couple year's ago this same question popped up, and a poll was taken. I believe it was pretty exhaustive, with elimination rounds. Yer Daddy won the poll, and even signed on and posted to express his thanks and thoughts. It was very cool. Do some searching and you will probably be able to find it.
    I think it started here:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...te+player+poll

Someone may have the brackets somewhere, as I seem to recall it branched off into very specific match-up discussions as we got towards the end. The poll is slanted towards younger/newer players I think, simply because of the demographics of the posters and the fact that we did not have so many game on national TV prior to the mid-90's. (It was a big deal when we were a CBS national game -- ESPN still showed a lot of lumberjack competitions when I was at Duke and 'the Deuce' did not exist).

If you're eliminating Johnny Dawkins' time, I'd have to go with Battier. Hurley a close second, if he's in the time frame you're discussing.

Battier. Then Nolan. I remember when I was little how much the Crazies adored Shane. He's still my favorite player.

Nolan did, however, connect with the students as much as Shane IMO. I just think Shane's in a slightly higher league than Nolan in Duke lore, albeit not by much as both are National Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Battier. Then Nolan. I remember when I was little how much the Crazies adored Shane. He's still my favorite player.
    I have had a long list of favorite players over the years. My first favorite player was Bob Verga when I was 7 and 8 years old. A couple years later, I spent countless hours shooting jump shots in the backyard while pretending I was Rick Katherman. Dick Devenzio, Gary Melchioni, Tate Armstrong, Jim Spanarkle, Mark Alarie, Bobby Hurley, JJ Redick, DeMarcus Nelson and Andre Dawkins are all on the list along with plenty of others. Who will be my favorite player next season? It's great being a Duke fan.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I have had a long list of favorite players over the years. My first favorite player was Bob Verga when I was 7 and 8 years old. A couple years later, I spent countless hours shooting jump shots in the backyard while pretending I was Rick Katherman. Dick Devenzio, Gary Melchioni, Tate Armstrong, Jim Spanarkle, Mark Alarie, Bobby Hurley, JJ Redick, DeMarcus Nelson and Andre Dawkins are all on the list along with plenty of others. Who will be my favorite player next season? It's great being a Duke fan.
    Well mine last year was Quinn Cook and this year it is going to be.... Quinn Cook!!! I love his attitude and game so much and its only going to get better.

Shane was beloved for many reasons - his versatility, cerebral play, leadership, and well-spokenness off the court. I'd have to put JJ up there too because unlike Shane he was the focal point of the offense, a guy who struck fear in the defense and always took the big shot. He was a force of nature out there. And he was the guy who everyone who was NOT a Duke fan absolutely hated, which made us love him even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'll second Bob Green with Bob Verga. As a 9 and 10 year old, he was the Man. I always bounced the ball three times before foul shots because Verga did. The then Crazies loved the enigmatic superstar. If the 3-pointer was in play in those days, Verga may have even challenged (in three years) the Duke scoring record. What a talent. More recently, I think that Shane and Nolan are a tie. Great players, better people.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    Nolan Smith.

"I don't think any Duke player has connected with the student body as well as Nolan has" -Coach K. He is the People's Champ!
    I can't speak to the Crazies' all-time favorite, but what makes Nolan so special is not only how well he connected with Duke students, but how well liked he is beyond Duke. He may be the only Duke player I can think of who never gets negative comments even on IC. I have the greatest respect for Shane Battier, but Nolan's friendliness is infectious--both are, in their own ways, great Duke players and great ambassadors for the Duke program.

I commented on this once before but it was so cool when Rasheed Wallace came to Cameron to watch Nolan's senior year home game against the tars. After the game Nolan went over and they embraced each other with real affection, obviously Sheed, a former teammate of Nolan's dad, had watched Nolan grow up The Crazies at first booed but then roared with respect. It was really something.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I commented on this once before but it was so cool when Rasheed Wallace came to Cameron to watch Nolan's senior year home game against the tars. After the game Nolan went over and they embraced each other with real affection, obviously Sheed, a former teammate of Nolan's dad, had watched Nolan grow up The Crazies at first booed but then roared with respect. It was really something.
    Don't think I saw your earlier post. Thanks for mentioning it again--it's a great story!