Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

@GoodmanCBS: Roscoe Smith gets his release from UConn

Alex Schwartz þ @NorthstarBball

RT @GoodmanCBS: Roscoe Smith gets his release from UConn, his father told CBSSports.

On UCONN roster, listed as 6' 8" 205 formerly a 2010 prospect of Duke, Gtown and Florida and others besides UCONN from Oak Hill Academy

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ege-basketball

APR and no post-season play ban taking its toll.

Unlike Oriakhi, my guess is Roscoe would have to sit a year.
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 04-21-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post

RT @GoodmanCBS: Roscoe Smith gets his release from UConn, his father told CBSSports.

On UCONN roster, listed as 6' 8" 205 formerly a 2010 prospect of Duke, Gtown and Florida and others besides UCONN from Oak Hill Academy
    Put him on our list!

Perhaps Wake and uCon could combine their depleted rosters for the 2012-13 season and field a team, maybe calling themselves the Convicted Deacons or the Demon Huskies.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Has K ever taken a guy on a transfer who had spurned us after we had recruited him hard coming out of high school? I know he hasn't taken many transfers, period, but I don't recall any of them being kids who we had gone after initially and they chose to go elsewhere. Anyone?

Not that it matters, but put me in the category of not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Has K ever taken a guy on a transfer who had spurned us after we had recruited him hard coming out of high school? I know he hasn't taken many transfers, period, but I don't recall any of them being kids who we had gone after initially and they chose to go elsewhere. Anyone?
    Probably did not recruit Trey Ziegler as hard, but he was a guy Duke had osme interest in before he decided to play for pops, and also before Duke withdrew its interest and he went to Pitt.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=3313056

As you say, small sample size of actual transfers into Duke. Don't think Duke looked at Seth Curry initially.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ege-basketball

APR and no post-season play ban taking its toll.

Unlike Oriakhi, my guess is Roscoe would have to sit a year.
    Can you explain to me why this would be different than Oriakhi?
    I should probably read the link to see if there are different circumstances surrounding the release , but I would think he should be able to play next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    Can you explain to me why this would be different than Oriakhi?
    I should probably read the link to see if there are different circumstances surrounding the release , but I would think he should be able to play next year.
    Oriakhi is a rising senior. With UConn's one-year NCAAT ban, he would not be able to play in the NCAAT while at that school.

Smith is a rising sophomore. He would be able to play in the NCAAT while at UConn. Just not next season.

Hence the difference.

Funny

Ben Swain @thedevilwolf

@GaryParrishCBS @GoodmanCBS are you sure roscoe didn’t just think his four years was up already?

LINK

Transfers

Didn't we originally recruit Rashaun McCloud and/or Andre Sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Oriakhi is a rising senior. With UConn's one-year NCAAT ban, he would not be able to play in the NCAAT while at that school.

Smith is a rising sophomore. He would be able to play in the NCAAT while at UConn. Just not next season.

Hence the difference.
    My Lord, you need a law degree to follow these rules! Kidding!
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess that makes sense, but the program is pretty much left in disarray now (IMO) so I don't know how great of a chance they'd have at making the tourney in 2 years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Hence the difference.
    I really don't get the wait a year to play thing. It just seems pointless. When a team isn't going to get to play in the tournament, or if a player made a bad decision when he was 18, it should be understood and not punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I really don't get the wait a year to play thing. It just seems pointless. When a team isn't going to get to play in the tournament, or if a player made a bad decision when he was 18, it should be understood and not punished.
    if there were no sit out a year rule, rosters would dramatically reshuffle every year. would be terrible for the sport.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    if there were no sit out a year rule, rosters would dramatically reshuffle every year. would be terrible for the sport.
    Yeah, I agree. The transfer rate would go way up from even where it is now. That would not be good for the sport imo.

Quote Originally Posted by smvalkyries View Post
    Didn't we originally recruit Rashaun McCloud and/or Andre Sweet?
    Having already signed Joey Beard, Duke had no need for Roshown McLeod. Probably a cautionary tale there somewhere.

Duke signed Sweet out of high school. He transferred to Seton Hall. Are you thinking of Dahntay Jones? Duke also did not recruit him out of high school.

As far as Hood and/or R. Smith are concerned, it seems to be a different era, one in which transfers are rampant. I expect Duke to enter the pool cautiously but enter it nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Ben Swain @thedevilwolf

@GaryParrishCBS @GoodmanCBS are you sure roscoe didn’t just think his four years was up already?

LINK
    Bwahahahaha.

By the numbers

I really don't know anything about Roscoe Smith, but as a freshman he averaged 6.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in 25.4 minutes (33 starts), and as a sophomore 4.4/3.4 in 18.2 minutes (14 starts). This past year he shot 48% on two pointers, 24% on threes, and 65% on FTs.

Unless the guy was hurt, he seem to be regressing. As a senior he scored 24PPG at Oak Hill Academy and was #32 on scout and #37 on rivals, so maybe UConn doesn't know how to develop big men either.

Smith also doesn't seem to understand the concept of shot clock management, although the cheerleader's catch is his megaphone at the end of the clip is outstanding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3f7xxsQ6c

In his defense, however, Dave McClure also had to learn a few things about the shot clock as a freshman, and he turned out all right. So maybe he just needs to redshirt a year and get his career back on track.

i'd bet that if he CALLED K and asked, that K would be happy to talk to him about it...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I really don't know anything about Roscoe Smith, but as a freshman he averaged 6.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in 25.4 minutes (33 starts), and as a sophomore 4.4/3.4 in 18.2 minutes (14 starts). This past year he shot 48% on two pointers, 24% on threes, and 65% on FTs.

Unless the guy was hurt, he seem to be regressing. As a senior he scored 24PPG at Oak Hill Academy and was #32 on scout and #37 on rivals, so maybe UConn doesn't know how to develop big men either.

Smith also doesn't seem to understand the concept of shot clock management, although the cheerleader's catch is his megaphone at the end of the clip is outstanding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3f7xxsQ6c

In his defense, however, Dave McClure also had to learn a few things about the shot clock as a freshman, and he turned out all right. So maybe he just needs to redshirt a year and get his career back on track.
    The situation at UCONN was so strange this season, it's possible that we can't read too much into his regression. What he would bring to Duke would be excellent rebounding and defensive length on the wing. Who know if anything will come of it (and if all goes well with Hood, then this might be a non-issue), but I would imagine the staff would listen if he were interested in coming to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Ben Swain @thedevilwolf

LINK

Or maybe Roscoe doesn't think it will be JUST a one year ban for u-con.

Smith wants to play small forward

By coincidence, we have an opening, at least for the time being:

"Calhoun would not comment on his discussions with Smith. A team source, requesting anonymity, said Smith's decision stemmed from his desire to play small forward rather than power forward. With Oriakhi, who has since committed to Missouri, gone, and small forward types Omar Calhoun and R.J. Evans coming in, Smith was most likely to play power forward. Smith, unless he can obtain some sort of waiver from the NCAA, will have to sit out a year before resuming at a new school."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...,4566752.story