BCS announces play-off details

BCS Press Release.

"Washington, D.C. - The group of university presidents who oversee college football’s Bowl Championship Series agreed today to launch a new four-team, seeded post-season playoff to determine the national collegiate champion. The new format will begin with the 2014-2015 season.

“We recognize that the BCS has been controversial in some years, but we also believe it has turned college football from a regional sport into a wonderfully popular national sport, much to the benefit of our alumni, student-athletes and fans,” the twelve members of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee said in a joint statement. “We now seek to build an even better college football season by creating a four-team playoff to crown the national champion, while protecting the regular season and the bowl experience. We’re delighted to support this format and congratulate the group of conference commissioners who have done so much for college football and who worked so hard to make this happen.”

The group of presidents also endorsed:

• Rotation of the semifinal games among six bowl sites and rotation of the championship game among neutral sites. The championship game will be managed by the conferences and will not be branded as a bowl game.
    • Creation of a selection committee that will rank the teams to play in the playoff, giving all the teams an equal opportunity to participate. Among the factors the committee will value are win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and whether a team is a conference champion.

The POC also decided to:

• Enhance college football by playing the semifinals New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day. The date of the first semifinal games will be either Wednesday, December 31, 2014, or Thursday, January 1, 2015.

• Create “Championship Monday” by setting the date of the championship game on the first Monday in January that is six or more days after the final semi-final game is played. As a result, in the first five years the championship game will be played on Monday, January 12, 2015; Monday, January 11, 2016; Monday, January 9, 2017; Monday, January 8, 2018; and Monday, January 7, 2019.

• Plan the new format to cover a twelve-year term, from the 2014-2015 season through the 2025-2026 season.

• Distribute revenue from games in a manner that remains under discussion. Generally speaking the concept would (1) reward conferences for success on the field (2) accommodate teams’ expenses (3) acknowledge marketplace factors and (4) reward academic performance of student-athletes.

• Eliminate the “automatic qualification” designation.

Among additional matters to be decided later are the name of the new event; the composition of and procedures for the selection committee; the final funding formula; and which bowls will participate as rotating hosts of semi-final playoff games.

The decision is subject to passage of appropriate legislation by the NCAA Board of Directors to permit the two semifinal winners to play an additional post-season game.

“We are very pleased with this new arrangement,” the presidents said. “College football’s championship game is America’s second most watched sporting event and we’re proud to build on our successes as we grow the sport and hear the voices of everyone who loves college football." "

what a load of crap....let's not call it a "playoff"...no REAL playoff excludes cinderella...

this is like coach k, roy, calimari and calhoun getting together and deciding what the final four will be without any other games being played....

i blow my nose in the general direction of this "play off"....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Well, four is better than two. But, eight would be sooo much better. The 12-year term is what rubs me the wrong way. Hopefully that contract can be broken just as easily as a conference affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    what a load of crap....let's not call it a "playoff"...no REAL playoff excludes cinderella...
    Well, any playoff with fewer than 16 teams is going to run the risk of excluding a deserving team, and there just weren't enough votes for that.

Can I get an amen from the congregation???

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Well, any playoff with fewer than 16 teams is going to run the risk of excluding a deserving team, and there just weren't enough votes for that.
    Eh. I can't remember a team ranked lower than 6th that I thought deserved a shot at the national championship. In fact, 6 with byes for top 2 would be the perfect number IMHO.

Also, basketball is different than football. Cinderella is highly overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    • Distribute revenue from games in a manner that remains under discussion. Generally speaking the concept would (1) reward conferences for success on the field (2) accommodate teams’ expenses (3) acknowledge marketplace factors and (4) reward academic performance of student-athletes.
    And people said Duke had no value in conference realignment. Call us, Delany.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    And people said Duke had no value in conference realignment. Call us, Delany.
    But "(3) acknowledge marketplace factors" comes first -- doesn't sound like there will be much leftover.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    It's a start and it beats what we had. I too, think 8 teams would have been better, but it will take awhile to get there. I do think we get to 8 and get there much quicker than a 12 year wait.

I love the semi-finals being on New Years Eve or Day, and playing the title game quickly after that. I have always argued you can have a playoff complimented by the bowl system, and they managed to do that here. Even expanding to 8 will not prevent bowl games.

I think all in all it's the best we could have hoped for as the initial try at a playoff type system. Once the money starts rolling in, it will not take the powers that be long to expand it to 8 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    It's a start and it beats what we had. I too, think 8 teams would have been better, but it will take awhile to get there. I do think we get to 8 and get there much quicker than a 12 year wait.

I love the semi-finals being on New Years Eve or Day, and playing the title game quickly after that. I have always argued you can have a playoff complimented by the bowl system, and they managed to do that here. Even expanding to 8 will not prevent bowl games.

I think all in all it's the best we could have hoped for as the initial try at a playoff type system. Once the money starts rolling in, it will not take the powers that be long to expand it to 8 teams.
    I agree with what Newton_14 is saying here. There's some good stuff here. I'd much rather argue over who should be #4 than argue about who should be #2. I like the New Years day game (something that bowls have, sadly, gotten away from). This keeps the bowls around (no matter how goofy many of them are) yet gives us a 4 team playoff. That's so much better than a 2 team playoff. I never thought they would go to 16 game playoff, even a 6 or an 8 adds a 3rd game and I didn't think they go there.

College football is played on Saturday. Why not have the championship game on a Saturday night?

I think the statement about the BCS taking CF from a regional to a national sport is a load of crap. Why not just admit that you installed a very poor system that needs to be replaced? No need to try to put a dress on the pig that is the BCS.

^ yeah. It was a National sport well before that. We're not talking about NASCAR in the 1950s.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I agree with what Newton_14 is saying here. There's some good stuff here. I'd much rather argue over who should be #4 than argue about who should be #2. I like the New Years day game (something that bowls have, sadly, gotten away from). This keeps the bowls around (no matter how goofy many of them are) yet gives us a 4 team playoff. That's so much better than a 2 team playoff. I never thought they would go to 16 game playoff, even a 6 or an 8 adds a 3rd game and I didn't think they go there.

College football is played on Saturday. Why not have the championship game on a Saturday night?

I think the statement about the BCS taking CF from a regional to a national sport is a load of crap. Why not just admit that you installed a very poor system that needs to be replaced? No need to try to put a dress on the pig that is the BCS.
    Yeah. What a load. When I was a boy there were two sports: baseball and college football. The early NFL, even up into the early 1950s, was primarily a recycling of college stars that the fans wanted to see.

Regional?

sagegrouse