New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Best wishes to William Friday

He's in critical condition. At 91 years, it's easy to say he's had a great life, but still here's some vibes for getting better. He has done a lot for not just Carolina, but for the NC education system. So as a native North Carolinian...and as a die hard Duke fan...I send my best.
    http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/F...151752875.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Joining you in wishing him well. He is a (very) distant relative of mine, and from the same hometown (he wouldn't know me from Adam, so I am not intending to drop names). He has always been a class guy, even though some of his distant relatives didn't turn out too good.

Bill Friday is a Tar Heel but he has a vision that is much, much bigger than just Carolina. I, too, wish him well.

Declamation

Until he retired last year at the age of 90, we had an employee at my firm who, following a varied career as a WW II marine in the Pacific, bank teller, petroleum pipeline worker, ambulance driver, Fulton County School System administrator, and health food store worker, joined us as a jack-of-all-trades office clerk and remained for thirty years. He was from Denver, North Carolina, I believe, and often told me about how he had won the county "declamation contest" the year after Bill Friday won it. What's a declamation contest? Beats me, but probably something they did to amuse themselves back in the '30's. Among his other acheivements, Bill Friday was a champion declaimer during his high school years.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    Until he retired last year at the age of 90, we had an employee at my firm who, following a varied career as a WW II marine in the Pacific, bank teller, petroleum pipeline worker, ambulance driver, Fulton County School System administrator, and health food store worker, joined us as a jack-of-all-trades office clerk and remained for thirty years. He was from Denver, North Carolina, I believe, and often told me about how he had won the county "declamation contest" the year after Bill Friday won it. What's adeclamation contest? Beats me, but probably something they did to amuse themselves back in the '30's. Among his other acheivements, Bill Friday was a champion declaimer during his high school years.
    Speech making.