Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New ACC Tournament Format (14 Team Edition)

If we stay at 14 teams, here is how the ACC Basketball Tourny will look:

LINK:http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ms-to-compete/

A 5 day tourny, Wed. thru Sun., with teams seeded 11-14 playing on Wednesday.

You better DVR Survivor Wednesday night in March (I'm talking to you BC, VTech, Wake, and Maryland fans!)

Is there anything that Swofford and the idiots running the various athletic offices in this league can't screw up?

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Is there anything that Swofford and the idiots running the various athletic offices in this league can't screw up?
    What's wrong with a 14-team field for a 14-team conference?

You have 12 teams after the first day? What next? Do you give the first four teams another bye?

You have 12 teams after the first day? What next? Do you give the first four teams another bye?
    Yes. The format is like our existing tournament, except that there are two "play-in" games for the 11th and 12th spots.

It will look like this.

Wed:

11 v. 14
    12 v. 13

Thu:

5 v. 12/13
    6 v. 11/14
    7 v. 10
    8 v. 9

Fri:

1 v. 8/9
    2 v. 7/10
    3 v. 6/11/14
    4 v. 5/12/13

Sat: Semis; Sun: Finals
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

looks good to me... i just hope we stay at 14 teams. The big east tournament is fun to watch but I wouldn't want our Devils to be part of an ACC version of that monster.

They got this one exactly right. Every team will have a chance to win it. The top four teams will just have the same advantage as before over teams 5-10 (1 day more rest) and a bigger advantage over teams 11-14 (2 days rest). Exactly how it should be with a 14-team conference.

This was my idea... sort of.

Nothing seems to have been finalized. However, if they're playing the games on Wednesday they'd have to be at the same site as the rest of the tournament. Attendance is going to be lousy, and knowing the ACC, they'll charge everyone an extra $70 or whatever for the extra two games in the book.

When the ACC went to 12 it became easier to find tournament tickets on the secondary market, as you have a greater percentage of fans who didn't care about the Saturday and Sunday games (or didn't care about the tournament at all). This will only continue the trend.

A five-day tournament is a travesty. A five-day tournament where some teams get two bye days is an abomination of a travesty. And the ACC directors need to get examined if they are seriously considering that approach.

Assuming it is desirable to invite all conference teams to the tournament (which I definitely buy), the only format that even approaches being reasonable is a four-day tournament where the top two teams get a first-day bye. This is by far the closest format that puts all teams on anything approaching an equal footing.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    A five-day tournament is a travesty. A five-day tournament where some teams get two bye days is an abomination of a travesty. And the ACC directors need to get examined if they are seriously considering that approach.

Assuming it is desirable to invite all conference teams to the tournament (which I definitely buy), the only format that even approaches being reasonable is a four-day tournament where the top two teams get a first-day bye. This is by far the closest format that puts all teams on anything approaching an equal footing.
    Why should all fourteen teams be placed on an equal footing? If the teams playing on Wednesday didn't want to have a disadvantage, they shouldn't have finished in eleventh place or lower. Worse yet, a four-day tournament would require either two separate venues or a sixteen-hour first day. Neither approach is particularly practical.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    the only format that even approaches being reasonable is a four-day tournament where the top two teams get a first-day bye. This is by far the closest format that puts all teams on anything approaching an equal footing.
    What is your solution to having to play six games on one day, with all the winners having to play the next day? How do you price tickets if you use more than one site?

Wednesday evening: 3 vs 14 and 4 vs 13
    Thursday: Other four games.

The top two teams get a buy, and the winners of Wednesday, most likely the better teams, get a day off. A disadvantage is the Wednesday winners have to wait a day to play. That might not make their fans happy.

I wonder if they considered that.

Wednesday evening: 3 vs 14 and 4 vs 13
    Thursday: Other four games.

The top two teams get a buy, and the winners of Wednesday, most likely the better teams, get a day off. A disadvantage is the Wednesday winners have to wait a day to play. That might not make their fans happy.

I wonder if they considered that.
    This is a decent solution - keeps any team from facing a 5-game slog, puts a real premium on finishing top-2 in conference (the only teams that get to play 3 games), and still gives teams 3 and 4 a benefit over teams 5 and below (the day of rest before the quarterfinals). I like it.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

The good thing about this particular type of system is that you don't have the chance of an underachieving regular season team sneaking up on the top seeds like happens fairly frequently in the big east. I think the play-in games are a bit of an homage to the 9 team tournament where the 8-9 seeds had to play on Thursday night. This way, there are no real major disadvantages to the top seeded teams. Boeheim said it was the curse of all curses to have the double bye. At least we still have a conference, so I'm not going to complain a tournament system that will hopefully never affect the team that I pull for.

Not knowing what the conference is going to do with the bracketing, it is virtually impossible to comment on the tournament structure. I thought everybody was expecting a 14 team tourney with the arrival of Syracuse and Pittsburgh. I'll add that I don't understand why there are 5 days of competition when a 16 team league would only require 4 days to complete its tournament. Somebody is looking at this through the bottom of a beer bottle. If you only want a 3 day tournament like the old days, then only 8 teams can qualify. Let's go back to the drawing board, folks. Nothing in this thread makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I'll add that I don't understand why there are 5 days of competition when a 16 team league would only require 4 days to complete its tournament. Somebody is looking at this through the bottom of a beer bottle.
    Again, I'd like to know your answer to scheduling more than four games on the same day, then having all the winners play at a single site the following day. Not to mention how you'd handle ticket sales vs. the current system of people buying the entire tournament at once.

My (partial) suggestion was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    At least we still have a conference...
    Yes. People pining for 1974 often lose sight of this.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    If I was pining for the '70's it would be '78 rather than '74!

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    For now. Expansion has required a lot of sacrifices for what could turn out to be a ~5 year stay of execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Boeheim said it was the curse of all curses to have the double bye.

Cue Digger Phelps blabbing about the importance of the "double bye" in 3...2...1