Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    That might be the worst nickname idea ever!
    I thought that's what we were going for (based on the other ideas so far). So do I win?

Edit: I kinda like Amilepede!

I'm afraid the name is going to be irresistible for headline writers:

Duke win by Amile
    Key shot missed by Amile

etc.

amillionare?

air-mile?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    The 2012 McDonald's All-American roster (PDF) lists him as 6-9, 205. If McDonald's measured and weighed him, that seems more likely accurate than Duke's press release, since Duke hasn't done that yet and it's in Duke's interest to downplay his real size as long as it can.
    Maybe they weighed him after downing a couple big macs 8-)

I don't see why Duke would want to downplay his real size. Wouldn't it be better to advertise that we landed a big guy? At any rate, perhaps the height discrepancy is due to being in shoes or not? Those two inches would make a big difference for a guy who projects to play mostly inside, as would the 15 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    You've gotta be kidding me. Where's that Duke creativity?

As soon as I saw his name I couldn't get Lil Wayne's "A Milli" out of my head. I'm ill!! He's Amile! Lots of room here.

And since he reps in the vein of former Philly legends: Amiladelphia

And a personal favorite since he reminds me of JJ Walker: Dynomite!!!
    I had a slow start this morning but my creative, albeit strange, Duke compatriots are clearly picking up my slack.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Yes, but never underestimate the ability of folks on this board to come up with something even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I thought that's what we were going for (based on the other ideas so far). So do I win?

Edit: I kinda like Amilepede!
    You have my vote so far, but as slower points out, it ain't over till it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    On a funnier note, Pack Pride is in meltdown mode. I've not been over there much before. But the tone seems pretty different than IC. Not sure how to describe it. IC tone seems more "entitled," whereas PP is more angry/rough-around-the-edges... Lot's of invectives thrown at AJ, and Coach K. To be fair, there are some posters wishing him well too (but that's a minority).
    I flipped through that thread as I enjoy reading forums from other schools. The very beginning of the thread contains posts from earlier in the day, and what's amazing to me is how many people were SURE that Amile was going to State. They quoted numerous tweets from supposedly reputable "insider" sources that proclaimed he was going there. Just goes to show, you never really know for sure until an announcement is made.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    You have my vote so far, but as slower points out, it ain't over till it's over.
    Just as long as we're not reduced to "A-mile Jeff-er-son" clap-clap clap-clap-clap. It truly doesn't get any worse than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Actually I knew it was a done deal when he mentioned Gene Banks in the article about the Philly tourney. That was a big indicator for me. He had done his research. He had done his DUKE research. I stopped posting after that article.
    Without giving away too much I can tell you that he really liked Duke for a long time. He visited the first annual Countdown to Craziness and glowed when our cameras hit him up. He would have pulled the trigger for Duke earlier had they offered then. Duke thought they had him about a month or so ago but he delayed his decision but in reality this one was not nearly as close as the general public sees it for he has been a Duke lean all along but played it close to the vest. Still, the delay made NCS and others think they were the favorites and the media then grabbed it and made it seem that way as well. The reason for that is uninformed media in recruiting circles and people commenting on it that are clueless. It was assumed that the NCS momentum would continue and when I am out on the AAU circuit, their insiders were certain he was theirs. In fact, they insisted while I told every national type that asked me he would end up at Duke which they will atttest to and that wasn't a product of wishful thinking. I must admit that the delay made me pause as well and think it was closer but what I have gleaned since then paints a different story. Not one time did I call him to another school when others jumped all over the Pack bandwagon in that I knew he really liked the Blue Devils. His Dad was big on Duke as well as were some who surrounded him at his school. He visited Duke in an unofficial manner twice. He had a hard time saying no to people because he's a good kid and hates to disappoint. There are more interesting details that I have to save for members. One more thing of beauty is that he never really gave Kentucky the time of day for he just didn't fit that school.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I'm afraid the name is going to be irresistible for headline writers:

Duke win by Amile
    Key shot missed by Amile

etc.
    Danged pessimist!

I think those headlines/storylines will be: "Jefferson wins another game for Duke on last minute put back. He is proving to be quite a meal ticket for the Devils."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

With respect to Lil Wayne, we might be better off refering to an artist with a little more talent. So why not Amilli Vanilli?

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Without giving away too much I can tell you that he really liked Duke for a long time. He visited the first annual Countdown to Craziness and glowed when our cameras hit him up. He would have pulled the trigger for Duke earlier had they offered then. Duke thought they had him about a month or so ago but he delayed his decision but in reality this one was not nearly as close as the general public sees it for he has been a Duke lean all along but played it close to the vest. Still, the delay made NCS and others think they were the favorites and the media then grabbed it and made it seem that way as well. The reason for that is uninformed media in recruiting circles and people commenting on it that are clueless. It was assumed that the NCS momentum would continue and when I am out on the AAU circuit, their insiders were certain he was theirs. In fact, they insisted while I told every national type that asked me he would end up at Duke which they will atttest to and that wasn't a product of wishful thinking. I must admit that the delay made me pause as well and think it was closer but what I have gleaned since then paints a different story. Not one time did I call him to another school when others jumped all over the Pack bandwagon in that I knew he really liked the Blue Devils. His Dad was big on Duke as well as were some who surrounded him at his school. He visited Duke in an unofficial manner twice. He had a hard time saying no to people because he's a good kid and hates to disappoint. There are more interesting details that I have to save for members. One more thing of beauty is that he never really gave Kentucky the time of day for he just didn't fit that school.
    Good stuff, Mark.

I suspect Amile is the kind of kid who will find Duke a great fit and hopefully get involved with the full University experience.
    I expect him to relate verrrry well to Coach K and develop quite nicely from a basketball standpoint, but even aside from that, I'll guess he will be regarded as a quintessential all-around Duke guy, almost like Shane Battier.

Just as long as we're not reduced to "A-mile Jeff-er-son" clap-clap clap-clap-clap. It truly doesn't get any worse than that.
    No, the absolute worst would be calling him "A-Jeff." Seriously, I hate that.

With respect to Lil Wayne, we might be better off refering to an artist with a little more talent. So why not Amilli Vanilli?
    Wow. Lil Wayne may be suing you for defamation. And that's saying something.

Amile Zola?

Dial Amile.

Sounds like this kid is the full Amile deal.

(Yes, I'm aware that was terrible.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    First off, IMO, he's in no way a wing/SF.
    If Andre ends up redshirting, the obvious minutes for Amile would be at SF. Are you saying that's not going to happen? Despite Friends Central being 15 minutes away from me, I've never seen him play. But from reports of his quick hands and feet, it sounds like he could possibly defend the position. Would it be possible for him to play on the perimeter on defense but down low on offense? If he could, that would seem to fit well with Ryan Kelly playing on the perimeter on offense but down low on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If Andre ends up redshirting, the obvious minutes for Amile would be at SF. Are you saying that's not going to happen? Despite Friends Central being 15 minutes away from me, I've never seen him play. But from reports of his quick hands and feet, it sounds like he could possibly defend the position. Would it be possible for him to play on the perimeter on defense but down low on offense? If he could, that would seem to fit well with Ryan Kelly playing on the perimeter on offense but down low on defense.
    But in that situation, wouldn't Alex be the prime candidate to slide over to the 3, opening up more minutes for Amile at the 4?

Although I suppose your suggestion would provide us with some incredible length. 6'11, 6'10, and 6'9 with a 7 foot wingspan. That's one surrriously long front court right there.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I blame the ability for anyone and their mother to be able to post on the internet and pretend it's news.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    First off, IMO, he's in no way a wing/SF. What he is is a long, skinny 6'8-6'9 PF (he's not only 6'7 in "basketball height") who isn't that much of an above the rim player, but has incredibly quick feet and hands for his size and an incredibly intuitive sense of how to score the ball around the rim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If Andre ends up redshirting, the obvious minutes for Amile would be at SF. Are you saying that's not going to happen?... Would it be possible for him to play on the perimeter on defense but down low on offense? If he could, that would seem to fit well with Ryan Kelly playing on the perimeter on offense but down low on defense.
    I don't think there's a substantial difference between these 2 views. Greg_Newton is correct that Amile isn't, right now, a classic wing/SF. But precisely because G_N is also correct that Amile seems to have quick feet, he could, if necessary, guard some opposing wing/SFs. Which is what Kedsy says, adding that when they're on the floor together, Amile and Ryan could shift positions from O to D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    But in that situation, wouldn't Alex be the prime candidate to slide over to the 3, opening up more minutes for Amile at the 4? Although I suppose your suggestion would provide us with some incredible length. 6'11, 6'10, and 6'9 with a 7 foot wingspan. That's one surrriously long front court right there.
    This Alex-Amile stuff might complicate things. For most of us think, I think [?], that Amile and Alex will play more or less the same position, wing/SF. So it's not a matter of Alex sliding to the 3, for, with Mason's return, Alex has already slid there. Yes? So, again, it's not a matter of Alex's moving that would allow Amile more minutes at the 4. Rather, it's the presence of Ryan and Josh at the 4, and the need for some competition/backup minutes at the SF, that slots Amile into the SF spot.

On D, especially. If by chance both Alex and Amile are on the floor together - probably not a lot, maybe a little - then, yes, Alex is the 3 on both ends, Amile the 4.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 05-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.