Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Folks, the word is complementary. Not complimentary.
    But he has had some great things to say about coach K.

The official press release from Duke.

"Five-star forward Amile Jefferson, a senior at Friends’ Central School in Philadelphia, Pa., signed a national letter of intent to play basketball at Duke University beginning in the 2012-13 season, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski and his staff announced on Tuesday.

“We are ecstatic about Amile joining us,” Krzyzewski said. “He is a perfect young man for Duke University. His educational background at Friends' Central School prepared him so well for Duke, and his high school coach prepared him well to play at Duke. He is going to be able to help us right away. He is a winner, they won four straight state titles, and he is an easy guy to play with because he will do anything to help his team win.”

A 6-7, 190-pound power forward, Jefferson averaged 19.9 points, 10.2 rebounds and 2.7 steals per game as a senior at Friends’ Central. He ranks as the No. 25 recruit and No. 4 power forward in the 2012 class according to ESPN.com, the No. 21 recruit and No. 3 power forward by Scout.com and the No. 36 recruit and No. 7 power forward by Rivals.com.

“Coach K brings an energy to our team that I want to bring back to him,” Jefferson said. “When he looks in my eyes, I want him to see the energy that I see in his eyes.”

Jefferson is the 57th McDonald’s All-American to commit to Duke and the 55th under head coach Mike Krzyzewski. He will be one of six former McDonald’s All-Americans on the 2012-13 edition of the Blue Devils. Jefferson is joined in the 2012 class by guard Rasheed Sulaimon, while redshirt freshmen Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee are also expected to make a significant impact next season.

“Our class is really four great youngsters with Amille, Rasheed [Sulaimon] and then Alex [Murphy] and Marshall [Plumlee] redshirting,” Krzyzewski said. “With those four guys ready to play, they are going to help us immensely. They are talented and all have great character.”

Duke returns nine letterwinners from a 2010-11 squad that went 27-7 and reached the NCAA Tournament for the 17th consecutive season. Jefferson will team with a front court that includes senior forwards Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly, junior forward Josh Hairston and redshirt freshmen Murphy and Marshall Plumlee."

Great news here. Very excited about this signing. Had been a little bummed with the misses on a few recruits and transfers the last few months. But this is awesome! Getting excited for next season more and more

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Wow, this was quite the pleasant surprise indeed! I had resigned myself to the fact that the choice was going to be NC State. I did allow myself a small glimmer of hope this morning when Dave Telep stated on The Insiders that it was definitely down to State and Duke, but Telep refused to call it either way. I was expecting Telep to call it for State but instead he said he did not have enough to call it either way. All the State sources were stating it was a done deal though.

Welcome to Duke Amile Jefferson indeed, and congrats to K and Staff for closing the deal. Who knows how much he contributes this year, but Amile is right in that there isn't anyone else on the roster quite like him. You can't teach length. He will provide valuable depth this season, and help balance out scrimmages in practice at the very least. If he can grasp the Duke defense early, he could garner some minutes defending some of the quicker forwards in the league. Definitely an important player in 2013-14 season.

I look forward to watching Amile play in the early season games to see how he stacks up and how fast he is able to pick of the Duke scheme's on offense and defense.

I just have one important question... what is the proper pronunciation of his name?

"He is going to be able to help us right away."

That is nice to hear from coach K!

I am personally more excited about getting Amile than I would have been about some of the more highly touted one and done type players. A likely 3-4 year player with outstanding character, educational goals, and already a good level of skill, that is the foundation of the program. A seven foot wing span makes me wonder what kind of shot blocking he is eventually going to bring to the game. And keep in mind he has never really seriously partaken of weight training, which when done right can augment explosiveness.

In sum, I really like this 4 player class!

Having posted a number of times about Amile on this and other threads, I'm delighted with his decision. I had no idea which university he would choose, so I neither predicted this nor, quite, expected it, given the rumor-vibes re NCSt, and, frankly, the "logic" of a possible lean toward UK, given their very thin numbers for next season. [I do know that NCSt/Wright St transfer combo guard Julius Mays recently announced he will be joining the Wildcats; and they need him, having missed on Bennett and Jefferson.]

Although early on there was great hope about recruiting one of the several talented centers in the class of 2012, Mason's return, not to mention Marshall's expected development, has taken most of the sting out of the "disappointing" college choices of TP and others. Further, although Shabazz is obviously a wonderful talent, I myself have been more enthusiastic about 3 other players: Rasheed Sulaimon, Amile Jefferson, and Alex Poythress. Two out of three, along with Marshall and Alex, sure makes for lots of talent-ready-to-break-out.

Sulaimon, Jefferson, and Poythress are just interesting players. Not, I'll admit, as interesting as the really different game of Kyle Anderson, but interesting nonetheless, because Sulaimon, Jefferson, and Poythress are all multi-skilled, long, combos, willing defenders, smart, with good handles. Now maybe there are many such players in, say, the consensus top 30 in the class of 2012. Maybe most who are in that top 30 are there precisely because of the very attributes that drew my own attention toward our guys and Poythress.

In any case, Duke has 3 new guys next year who possess multiple skills and who can play more than one position. And the fourth, Marshall, has been and will continue to be allowed to develop gradually, playing important backup minutes in 2012-'13, and major/starter's minutes for 2-3 years thereafter.

I'll give Rasheed some credit, too for encouraging Amile to come to Duke. Just a very nice feeling this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    well, the audio was clearer.

nice to hear the very positive crowd reaction
    Perfect framing by the step stool
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Congrats, and welcome, Amile. I am really glad to see him come here. He has the length to do some awesome things. I hope we can develop him like how UNC did Henson (Henson isn't a freak athlete, but he has the length to get the ball in the basket around the rim with ease). I have heard that he defends really well. We know he has length. I don't see the speed of his release being a huge problem. Henson doesn't have a fast release, but he gets it off. I would say Ryan Kelly falls in that category, too. I would like to see us use him just to have a defender who can go man, use his length to disrupt and try to create turnovers. If we can be an active defensive team that runs, we can beat teams that may be playing better than us on any given night. I am just excited about next year.

I comend you for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The various articles linked on the front page have Amile at 6'6, 6'7, 6'8 and 6'9. Hopefully this just means he's still growing. Maybe he's 6'10 by now.

Either way I was glad to read his HS coach quoted as saying he was more comfortable playing with his back to the basket. You don't hear that said about many HS players these days. One recruiting analyst compared his game to Antawn Jamison. I hope he's right!
    Yeah, one link had him at 6'7, 190 while another said 6'9, 205. That's a pretty big difference. I'll assume for now that the second number is more up-to-date 8-).

Over the last few weeks I hadn't gotten too worked up over him, as I viewed him as more of a guy who would be useful in later years. But the more I read about him, the more excited I am to have him for this coming season. I think he'll be more than just a good guy to have in practice, he'll get a few minutes of floor time per game, provide a different skill set than anyone else on the team, and best of all he sounds like a real high-character guy who really wants to be at Duke!

As for the comparison to Jamison, I'm strangely okay with that. Jamison is one of my favorite Carolina guys, if such a thing exists.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, one link had him at 6'7, 190 while another said 6'9, 205. That's a pretty big difference. I'll assume for now that the second number is more up-to-date 8-).

Over the last few weeks I hadn't gotten too worked up over him, as I viewed him as more of a guy who would be useful in later years. But the more I read about him, the more excited I am to have him for this coming season. I think he'll be more than just a good guy to have in practice, he'll get a few minutes of floor time per game, provide a different skill set than anyone else on the team, and best of all he sounds like a real high-character guy who really wants to be at Duke!

As for the comparison to Jamison, I'm strangely okay with that. Jamison is one of my favorite Carolina guys, if such a thing exists.
    Agree with this. He was a rare beacon of sanity and maturity on the otherwise completely dysfunctional Wizards for several years.

"Hey, C.J. nice play. Looking good."

"Thanks, Rodney. I appreciate the compliment."
    I think you need a comma after C.J. It's either that, or "Nice" needs to be capitalized. (I just always keep in mind that nobody's perfect, especially on message boards. But overall, I have nothing but complimentary things to say about your posts and work.)

As for Amile being an instant contributor as Krzyzewski has suggested, I hope so. There's definitely an opening in the Duke frontcourt left by the graduation of Miles. I've never actually seen Amile play live, but I do feel like if Kentucky was recruiting him as hard as they were, he probably has the ability to play right away in some capacity. I look forward to getting a better handle on what he brings to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I think you need a comma after C.J. It's either that, or "Nice" needs to be capitalized. (I just always keep in mind that nobody's perfect, especially on message boards. But overall, I have nothing but complimentary things to say about your posts and work.)

As for Amile being an instant contributor as Krzyzewski has suggested, I hope so. There's definitely an opening in the Duke frontcourt left by the graduation of Miles. I've never actually seen Amile play live, but I do feel like if Kentucky was recruiting him as hard as they were, he probably has the ability to play right away in some capacity. I look forward to getting a better handle on what he brings to the table.
    Well, I am quoting college kids.

Well, I am quoting college kids.
    LOL! Word.

Don't worry, Jim. Most of us got your joke the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Agree with this. He was a rare beacon of sanity and maturity on the otherwise completely dysfunctional Wizards for several years.
    Definitely. I *wanted* to hate Jamison, especially because it was so easy to hate Rasheed Wallace and Jerry Stackhouse. But you just couldn't. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

"He will be one of six former McDonald’s All-Americans on the 2012-13 edition of the Blue Devils."

Nobody is a former MAA, and nobody is a former winner of a golf tournament, etc.

It sounded write to me

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    "He will be one of six former McDonald’s All-Americans on the 2012-13 edition of the Blue Devils."

Nobody is a former MAA, and nobody is a former winner of a golf tournament, etc.
    That press release also referred to last season's team as 2010-11. Must be a new press release writer because the last one went pro early. These one and dones are killing the department.

I'm impressed

I'm surprised that no one has referred to one quote Amile made that must have influenced his decision to attend Duke:

"It's been a really tough decision for me. At the end of the day, I made my decision based on my future on and off the court. I think this school will prepare me for the next phase of my life, and I'm proud to say I will be attending Duke University."

My favorite kind of attitude for a Duke recruit, and what I think is also the attitude of most of our recruits-----------especially the ones that turn out so well.

They understand the advantages of a Duke education.

ricks