Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I'm late to the party, but this is great news - I'm not sure I'm sold on him being a regular next season, unless he packs on some serious muscle this summer, but I think he'll be a GREAT asset to our program as a SO-SR. FWIW, my thoughts on what we're getting, having seen him play a couple of times:

First off, IMO, he's in no way a wing/SF. What he is is a long, skinny 6'8-6'9 PF (he's not only 6'7 in "basketball height") who isn't that much of an above the rim player, but has incredibly quick feet and hands for his size and an incredibly intuitive sense of how to score the ball around the rim. Brick Oettinger had some interesting things to say about him, including an Antawn Jamison comparison (style-wise) and a great point about how quick he gets the ball up on the glass (often before the defender can get their hands up to contest the shot). Whereas the Plumlees seem to get a little more methodical when they're posting up around the rim, for example, Amile seems to get quicker and more intuitive; he just feels his way out finds a way to get the ball past the defender and to the rim whenever a sliver opens up. He often "quick-shoots" guys, as Brick said.

It's more about what he will be than what he is, at this point. I'm excited to see how his game evolves as he starts to catch up strength-wise, which should also give him a little more vertical explosiveness. He was completely physically overmatched against Kaleb Tarczewski last winter, for example, but he's not afraid to bang in the post and gives it everything he's got, even with his slight frame.

If he can bulk up, I think it will not only and help him get him on a more level playing field when defending/rebounding with opposing bigs, it will make his intuitive scoring ability in the post that much more effective. IMO, he's the most natural post scorer we've had in a long time, and how well he's able to translate that will depend on how much he can progress physically.

Lance Thomas

I think it is hilarious how many State fans have reacted to Amile's decision by suggesting that he's going to be the next Lance Thomas.

I know they think that's a negative, but if Jefferson's career matches Thomas -- 101 starts in 140 games for teams that averaged 28.8 wins a season, won two ACC championships and was the starting forward on a national championship team ... yeah, that would be okay.

Seriously, I think Jefferson is a lot like Ryan Kelly of Duke and/or Milton Jennings of Clemson -- both were (like Jefferson) McDonald's All-Americans ... both were (like Jefferson) too-skinny-power-forwards who had to put on weight ... both played little as freshman, started to contribute as sophs and were very solid ACC players as juniors last season (and, I think, will be two of the best power forwards in the ACC next season).

From what I've seen of Mr. Jefferson, I would expect his career to follow a similar track.

PS As for his real size, I too have seen everything from 6-7 to 6-9 and a wide variety of weights listed. But I think it's significant that Duke's press release listed him as 6-7, 190. Until Duke changes it, that's what I'm going with.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

PS As for his real size, I too have seen everything from 6-7 to 6-9 and a wide variety of weights listed. But I think it's significant that Duke's press release listed him as 6-7, 190. Until Duke changes it, that's what I'm going with.

The 2012 McDonald's All-American roster (PDF) lists him as 6-9, 205. If McDonald's measured and weighed him, that seems more likely accurate than Duke's press release, since Duke hasn't done that yet and it's in Duke's interest to downplay his real size as long as it can.

We either need some cinder blocks in back of him or known entities such as Mason or Ryan standing next to next to him.

I wonder if he will enroll in summer school and play in pickup games. We can get a bead on his size then.

Oh...and Welcome to Duke, Amile!

With all of this enthusiasm... and I'm one of therm... I just hope that with his "apparently needed developement", especially strength, that he views his freshman year as a learning and building process... and that the Duke University degree will be more than enough to keep him from thinking towards that "dreaded" transfer thought... I hope I'm not putting a "damper" on this... but I've gone through this before... as all of you have. In other words... cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless. GO DUKE!!!
    Last edited by gep; 05-16-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    With all of this enthusiasm... and I'm one of therm... I just hope that with his "apparently needed developement", especially strength, that he views his freshman year as a learning and building process... and that the Duke University degree will be more than enough to keep him from thinking towards that "dreaded" transfer thought...
    Impressive. The board has Amile on the transfer watch within 12 hours of committing. New record!

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Impressive. The board has Amile on the transfer watch within 12 hours of committing. New record!
    Sorry to all... I did not ever mean to be negative or pessimistic. But, I've been "bitten" before, and remain "cautiously optimistic". My cup is *always* half-full... GO DUKE!!!
    Last edited by gep; 05-16-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Amile's not 6'7 in "basketball height", no matter what our press release says.

Some interesting comparisons of high school profiles - shows how much room for development Amile's physique has, if he puts the work in.

Amile Jefferson: 6'9 200
    Josh Smith 6'8 195 (now listed 6'9 225)
    Marcus Morris 6'8 210 (now listed 6'9 235)
    Derrick Williams: 6'7 195 (now listed 6'8 241)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I think it is hilarious how many State fans have reacted to Amile's decision by suggesting that he's going to be the next Lance Thomas.

I know they think that's a negative, but if Jefferson's career matches Thomas -- 101 starts in 140 games for teams that averaged 28.8 wins a season, won two ACC championships and was the starting forward on a national championship team ... yeah, that would be okay.
    Well, our other freshmen reportedly include a Nolan Smith clone and a Kyle Singler clone. Now we just need Marshal to grow a beard, convert Matt Jones into a point guard who makes funny faces, and we'll have the whole set.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Welcome to Duke Amile Jefferson indeed, and congrats to K and Staff for closing the deal. Who knows how much he contributes this year, but Amile is right in that there isn't anyone else on the roster quite like him. You can't teach length. He will provide valuable depth this season, and help balance out scrimmages in practice at the very least. If he can grasp the Duke defense early, he could garner some minutes defending some of the quicker forwards in the league. Definitely an important player in 2013-14 season.

I look forward to watching Amile play in the early season games to see how he stacks up and how fast he is able to pick of the Duke scheme's on offense and defense.

I just have one important question... what is the proper pronunciation of his name?
    Last name, same as the 3rd President of the U.S.

Ohhhh...you mean his first name; my understanding and easy connection is that he is skinny and needs to eat "a meal" or two extra.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Last name, same as the 3rd President of the U.S.

Ohhhh...you mean his first name; my understanding and easy connection is that he is skinny and needs to eat "a meal" or two extra.
    Amile doesn't lend itself too easily to nicknames. Certainly short phrases, but not nicknames per se. Anyone have any ideas? We've got the generic AJ. But beyond that, I'm stuck. Amile on wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Amile doesn't lend itself too easily to nicknames. Certainly short phrases, but not nicknames per se. Anyone have any ideas? We've got the generic AJ. But beyond that, I'm stuck. Amile on wheels?
    Shane Ryan of Grantland, getting excited on Twitter yesterday, has already suggested "Amile ticket," "Hap Amile," and "Karma Amileon" but, while amusing, these don't really seem like they would catch on.

FWIW, at the announcement yesterday, it sounded like his schoolmates were cheering for "Mile" (pronounced "meal").

Maybe we can just call him Amile. Welcome to Duke, Amile.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe we can just call him Amile. Welcome to Duke, Amile.
    Novel concept. Call a young man by his actual name. Will have to think on that

I like it. Let's let him be. If his personality and/or play warrant a nickname in the future, we'll be at the ready. But for now, he'll just be, you know, himself.

(btw: my initial post rushing for a nickname was meant in jest, poking fun at the incessant practice among fans to do so, just to clarify)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My favorite quotes...
    "I definitely wanted to take a look at the school," Jefferson said. "Duke is a once in a lifetime opportunity and something you don't pass up on."
    "Once Coach K started recruiting me, I did not talk to an assistant coach," Jefferson said. "That definitely shows the coach wants you and every conversation I had with him seemed genuine. I felt like I can become a better person and player at Duke University."
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...ke-blue-devils
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Amile Worm?

You've gotta be kidding me. Where's that Duke creativity?

As soon as I saw his name I couldn't get Lil Wayne's "A Milli" out of my head. I'm ill!! He's Amile! Lots of room here.

And since he reps in the vein of former Philly legends: Amiladelphia

And a personal favorite since he reminds me of JJ Walker: Dynomite!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Amile Worm?
    That might be the worst nickname idea ever!

Amile Worm?
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    With his length, maybe "Amilepede?"

Amile Worm?
    Real Deal Amile -
    **As a child of the 70's I'm kinda saddened that in 4 pages of this thread (granted cant read or remember them all) No one has referenced the "Moving on Up" song..

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes, but never underestimate the ability of folks on this board to come up with something even worse.