The Dictator: early review

I'll do something longer tomorrow, but for the moment, I wanted to post what I just tweeted:

4 words to describe #TheDictator: Crude, offensive, disgusting, and HYSTERICAL! I was cringing and laughing hysterically at the same time.

#TheDictator features perhaps the most disgusting and funniest childbirth scene in history of film. Must see if you can take crude humor.

So long as U know what U are getting in for... and U are getting in for lots of gross and offensive stuff... you will ADORE #TheDictator.
    I am serious. I probably laughed out loud at least once every minute of this movie. And, shockingly, the plot is a lot stronger than Baron Cohen's earlier efforts. It also features hysterical music (pop hits with Arabic lyrics) and a ton of stars in small cameos just having a lot of fun.

-Jason "not sure who I would recommend it to, as the movie is offensive on a dozen different levels, but it made me laugh, laugh, laugh" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ah, interesting, thanks Jason. Can I ask, just so I can judge your Cohen appeal; what did you think of his other efforts (Ali G Show, Borat, Bruno?)

I have to say, this is one where the initial movie ad campaign REALLY turned me off. When they finally got into the next wave of advertising and revealed the whole "fish out of water" storyline I instantly because far more interested.

BTW, if you can, be sure to check out his interview on Howard Stern from earlier this week. He did it not in character, and hearing him really talk about the process for a solid 1 hr 15m interview was very interesting and very entertaining.

I glanced at RT this morning and was disappointed to see a 33% next to The Dictator, so I mentally wrote it off. After seeing this post, however, I went back to RT to figure out the disconnect and realized the 33% was actually next to The Samaritan (listed directly below The Dictator), and The Dictator was actually at 85%. Woohoo! I imagine the rating will drop a little as more critics weigh in, but that's good enough for me when it comes to comedies these days.

I loved Sasha Baron Cohen's show and have more or less enjoyed his films, so I am definitely going to see this one now. Thanks Jason!

And Ash, I agree with you regarding the first- and second-wave ads. They definitely made it more appealing with the more recent ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Ah, interesting, thanks Jason. Can I ask, just so I can judge your Cohen appeal; what did you think of his other efforts (Ali G Show, Borat, Bruno?)
    Never really watched much of Ali G show, though I have seem some of his hysterical interviews (Beckham and Victoria... wow!).
    I loved him in Talladega Nights.
    I enjoyed Borat a lot. Wasn't the greatest, but thought the concept was clever and funny.
    I was quite lukewarm on Bruno. Some of it was funny, but it felt forced and wasn't nearly as funny as Borat.

I think this movie has more narrative structure than Borat and a lot more than Bruno. It was funnier than either of them too. It was probably a tad bit cruder than Borat, if you can believe that, though not quite as bad as Bruno.

-Jason "any movie that makes jokes about a woman giving birth and what is inside her while she is giving birth is... well... crossing a line that some people will not enjoy" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?