UNC coach complains about wine and cheese fans

UNC baseball coach Mike Fox joined former FSU star Sam Cassell in characterizing the UNC fan base as a "wine and cheese" crowd:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.ph...boshamer_crowd

“It’s a little bit of that wine and cheese—spoiled crowd. We’ve got to get away from that somehow,” Fox said.

Some things never change ...

Coach Fox can call Roy..

and learn how to pump in fan noise and kick opposing fans out of the stadium. That would even out the cheering.

lives near a number of big white buildings
    It is ironic to me that, yes, there is kind of a wine-and-cheese element to the UNC-CH fan base....and yet there is also an element of the fanbase which is incredibly stupid and brutish....much less bright than the comparable lowest element of the Maryland fan base....and almost as crude in their behavior, online or in real life, as a good bit of the WV and SC fan bases.

I suspect the most rabid, ignorant, and abusive element of the UNC-CH fan base may not even have attended UNC (and know relatively few people in their social circle who did). But it is the older, more sedate, more successful, and more connected to UNC-CH fans who buy game tickets and donate money. I wonder how much the more sophisticated UNC-CH fans feel disdain for the crude fans--and for the coaches who complain about the wine-and-cheese element rather than the abusive and ignorant fans tarnishing how UNC-CH is perceived.

all you have to do is stand next to the unc gear table at walmart and watch who picks it up...i know that's catty, but really...just observe...

a friend of mine poked fun at me one time that "they don't even sell duke gear here" and i said "thank goodness"...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    It is ironic to me that, yes, there is kind of a wine-and-cheese element to the UNC-CH fan base....and yet there is also an element of the fanbase which is incredibly stupid and brutish....much less bright than the comparable lowest element of the Maryland fan base....and almost as crude in their behavior, online or in real life, as a good bit of the WV and SC fan bases.

I suspect the most rabid, ignorant, and abusive element of the UNC-CH fan base may not even have attended UNC (and know relatively few people in their social circle who did). But it is the older, more sedate, more successful, and more connected to UNC-CH fans who buy game tickets and donate money. I wonder how much the more sophisticated UNC-CH fans feel disdain for the crude fans--and for the coaches who complain about the wine-and-cheese element rather than the abusive and ignorant fans tarnishing how UNC-CH is perceived.
    On the bolded part you would actually be surprised how many of those type fans did go to school there. It is far more than most people think. You are correct with the view of those that actually have Season Tickets though. Big money older fans in those seats not occupied by students.

One of my snootier UNC-grad friends refers to these folks as "gutter alumni."

I think the "sophisticated UNC-CH fans" are probably too busy being embarrassed by (or at least making erudite and grammatically correct excuses for) the UNC-CH administrators, professors, tutors, ex-football coaches, and various athletes tarnishing how UNC-CH is perceived.

Personally, given that I have an inner redneck with whom I'm perfectly at peace, I can get along better with the rabid Walmart UNC fan who's never seen the campus than I can with the holier-than-thou Rams Clubbers and their Carolinahhhh Wayyy...

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I think the "sophisticated UNC-CH fans" are probably too busy being embarrassed by (or at least making erudite and grammatically correct excuses for) the UNC-CH administrators, professors, tutors, ex-football coaches, and various athletes tarnishing how UNC-CH is perceived.

Personally, given that I have an inner redneck with whom I'm perfectly at peace, I can get along better with the rabid Walmart UNC fan who's never seen the campus than I can with the holier-than-thou Rams Clubbers and their Carolinahhhh Wayyy...
    Amen. To hear the Rams Clubbers talk about Duke is just disgusting. You could not find a more hateful group of people who feel so entitled.

What is actually funny is a lot of these folks do not like Roy Williams. They think he's got a big mouth and is not as dignified as he should be. Hard to argue with that.

Super "Get Fox a BB gun!" Dave

2/08/12

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    On the bolded part you would actually be surprised how many of those type fans did go to school there. It is far more than most people think. You are correct with the view of those that actually have Season Tickets though. Big money older fans in those seats not occupied by students.

Understanding this started on a baseball article.
    It would be very easy on this subject to not stay on point, because the discussion could evolve in a many directions.

I'm with Newt on this...

Personally, I'm very used to Duke haters, and have been for years.
    Then and now, It's a source of pride with they're unintended acknowledgement.

Admittedly, my 1st hand experience with the spectrum of the local NC ChHill fans up close and personal is limited, compared to some.

We saw the full spectrum on 2/08/12, from the presumptuous wine and cheese folks,to the outright obnoxious, uniformed, bush league haters.

The wine and cheesers that were close, while offering the obligitory "good game",was about more than they could muster

But, It was never more evident than when we were walking to the car, and a 4X truck , raced the engines, squealed the tires, and brushed past us, in they're parking lot.
    (to the credit of a group of Carolina fans, they were very vocal in calling him out on it)

I find it sad that adults hang their very existence on the outcome of a game played by young men right out of high school.

Be a fan, root for your team, but if every play and every game, and every season, does not meet the unrealistic never get beat expectation, and every disappointment needing a target, the roller coaster ride of that existence should prove, unbearable,as evidenced by they're collective, projected, self images.
    Last edited by BluDvlsN1; 05-11-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Let's go DUKE !!!