Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Assuming those stats are correct, 20.3 ppg in only 22.3 mpg is a ridiculous scoring rate on a per minute basis.

Also, if his shooting percentages from outside and at the free throw line are predictive, it does seem that he's going to be more of a slasher/attacker from the wing rather than a consistently deadly shooter. At any rate, I can't wait to see what he does for Duke. I don't think we'll need him to score in every game, but if he can slash to the basket and make things happen from the 3 spot at Duke, then it will add a dimension to the team that was definitely lacking last season.
    Plus, with Seth and Ryan and maybe Quinn and/or Rasheed (and/or Tyler, who shot decently from outside last season) taking outside shots, we don't really need Alex to be a long-range gunner. If he's a slasher, though, his free throw shooting will probably need to be better than he showed for Finland.

Assuming those stats are correct, 20.3 ppg in only 22.3 mpg is a ridiculous scoring rate on a per minute basis.

Also, if his shooting percentages from outside and at the free throw line are predictive, it does seem that he's going to be more of a slasher/attacker from the wing rather than a consistently deadly shooter. At any rate, I can't wait to see what he does for Duke. I don't think we'll need him to score in every game, but if he can slash to the basket and make things happen from the 3 spot at Duke, then it will add a dimension to the team that was definitely lacking last season.

If his game is going to involve a lot of slashing it will result in a lot of fouls and foul shots... if he doesn't improve his free throw shooting he is going to leave an absurd number of points on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    If his game is going to involve a lot of slashing it will result in a lot of fouls and foul shots... if he doesn't improve his free throw shooting he is going to leave an absurd number of points on the floor.
    I agree with you and Kedsy on this point, for sure. It definitely doesn't seem like he's a Scheyer/JJ-esque natural from the line. That being said, it remains to be seen what he can do from the stripe in a more comfortable situation. Hopefully he can get that % up to 70% or so.

By my math, adding up the made 2FGs (60-111), 3FGs (6-34) and FTs (20-45) results in 158 points, or 14.4 per game. Still pretty impressive in 22.3 mpg, although not terribly efficient (a Black Falcon esque 1.09 points per FGA) given the poor shooting on 3s and FTs.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    As poorly as he is shooting free throws, they may not hit the floor ...

stats

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    By my math, adding up the made 2FGs (60-111), 3FGs (6-34) and FTs (20-45) results in 158 points, or 14.4 per game. Still pretty impressive in 22.3 mpg, although not terribly efficient (a Black Falcon esque 1.09 points per FGA) given the poor shooting on 3s and FTs.
    Not sure what you are counting, but the game-by-game totals show he scored 29-30-8-14-15-15-11-19-26-20-36 in the 11 games. The shooting totals are not given for three games (in which he scored 19-26-20)

By my count that's 222 points ... but while the official stats have him at 20.3 ppg., the calculator on my computer has that as 20.2 ppg

Looking at those stats again, they do list 22.2 mpg as the average minutes played, but they don't have the minutes for three games ... and for the eight that they do list, he played betwen 28 and 36 minutes -- so I doubt that 22.2 mpg is correct (it looks like it's more like 29-30 mpg).

I was checking his FT totals since those were so bad. Again, we don't have the totals for three games. For the eight we do have, there's an interesting dicotomy. He started 2-for-8, then finished 18-33 (54.5 pct). His last game was a credible 9-of-13 (69.2 pct.). Since the three missing games were the 8th, 9th, 10th he played, that's when he was making FTs at a better rate, so his overall total is probably better.

I'm not saying that's not a potential problem, but it might not be the nightmare the raw numbers suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Not sure what you are counting, but the game-by-game totals show he scored 29-30-8-14-15-15-11-19-26-20-36 in the 11 games. The shooting totals are not given for three games (in which he scored 19-26-20)

By my count that's 222 points ... but while the official stats have him at 20.3 ppg., the calculator on my computer has that as 20.2 ppg

Looking at those stats again, they do list 22.2 mpg as the average minutes played, but they don't have the minutes for three games ... and for the eight that they do list, he played betwen 28 and 36 minutes -- so I doubt that 22.2 mpg is correct (it looks like it's more like 29-30 mpg).

I was checking his FT totals since those were so bad. Again, we don't have the totals for three games. For the eight we do have, there's an interesting dicotomy. He started 2-for-8, then finished 18-33 (54.5 pct). His last game was a credible 9-of-13 (69.2 pct.). Since the three missing games were the 8th, 9th, 10th he played, that's when he was making FTs at a better rate, so his overall total is probably better.

I'm not saying that's not a potential problem, but it might not be the nightmare the raw numbers suggest.
    I glossed over the fact that totals for 3 games were missing (just summed the totals moving down the page). On 2 of the early games, though, it looks a though the points was not correctly tabulated relative to shots made. So I think the 158 points is correct, but as you point out, was scored in 8 games not 11. Which results in 19.8 ppg. Agree that the FT percentage is probably understated, given how well he shot in later games. One other thing I would note, though, is that Alex only averaged about 3FTA for each 10 FGA (2s + 3s), which does not really suugest a "slashing" game, though this may have been more a function of the style of play in international ball than Alex's natural tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I glossed over the fact that totals for 3 games were missing (just summed the totals moving down the page). On 2 of the early games, though, it looks a though the points was not correctly tabulated relative to shots made. So I think the 158 points is correct, but as you point out, was scored in 8 games not 11. Which results in 19.8 ppg. Agree that the FT percentage is probably understated, given how well he shot in later games. One other thing I would note, though, is that Alex only averaged about 3FTA for each 10 FGA (2s + 3s), which does not really suugest a "slashing" game, though this may have been more a function of the style of play in international ball than Alex's natural tendencies.
    The USMNT only shot 15 ft against Spain despite doing a lot of slashing so you there is definitely precedence for the game being called very differently in international play.