Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    If you wish to follow the euro under 20 competition, here's the link:
    http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/enDivB/default.asp

Alex led his team again with 19 points and 5 rebounds, but they fell 80-69 to Israel. Joonas Caven had 13 points and Alex Vaenerberg, who plays decent minutes for a team in Finland's top flight had 12 points. Here is another limited boxscore:
    http://www.basket.fi/maajoukkueet/ot...season_id=6353

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Alex led his team again with 19 points and 5 rebounds, but they fell 80-69 to Israel. Joonas Caven had 13 points and Alex Vaenerberg, who plays decent minutes for a team in Finland's top flight had 12 points. Here is another limited boxscore:
    http://www.basket.fi/maajoukkueet/ot...season_id=6353

I wish he was putting up better rebounding numbers. 3,3,5 is not going to get it done considering he is one of the tallest players out there, but then again I haven't been watching the games so I can't say he is actually dissapointing in that department. I just keep thinking of Stan Van Gundy ripping on Ryan Anderson for going for 25 pts and 3 rebs or whatever lol.

Does anyone know the differences between the A & B division? Is Finland not in the A division or how does that actually work?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I wish he was putting up better rebounding numbers. ...
    I wish Salma Hayek were 1/2" taller ...

I wish he was putting up better rebounding numbers. 3,3,5 is not going to get it done considering he is one of the tallest players out there, but then again I haven't been watching the games so I can't say he is actually dissapointing in that department. I just keep thinking of Stan Van Gundy ripping on Ryan Anderson for going for 25 pts and 3 rebs or whatever lol.

Does anyone know the differences between the A & B division? Is Finland not in the A division or how does that actually work?
    Well, he did lead the team in rebounds in all 4 of the games he has played in.

Finland is in the B division, which is the weaker of the two divisions. The top 16 youth teams in Europe play in the A division and the next 18 play in the B division. If Alex and Finland can make it to the final game, they will earn a spot in next year's A division while the 15th and 16th place A division teams get sent back down to the B division next year. Finland gets to play the Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Hungary in their group games.

I wish he was putting up better rebounding numbers. 3,3,5 is not going to get it done considering he is one of the tallest players out there, but then again I haven't been watching the games so I can't say he is actually dissapointing in that department.
    According to the numbers posted in this thread, Alex has gotten 9, 3, 8, and 5 rebounds in his four games, an average of 6.25 rpg. Which I think is pretty good for a SF.

Well, he did lead the team in rebounds in all 4 of the games he has played in.

Finland is in the B division, which is the weaker of the two divisions. The top 16 youth teams in Europe play in the A division and the next 18 play in the B division. If Alex and Finland can make it to the final game, they will earn a spot in next year's A division while the 15th and 16th place A division teams get sent back down to the B division next year. Finland gets to play the Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Hungary in their group games.
    This is some good info. Please tell us more...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    This is some good info. Please tell us more...
    What else would you like to know?

Since Alex's team is in a group with 4 teams, they will play on the 12th, 14th, and 16th. Operating under the assumption that they will finish in the top 2, they would then play games against the top two teams in Group C (Croatia, Denmark, Great Britain, Belarus, and Portugal) on the 18th and 19th. The final two games would be on the 21st and 22nd.

Finland has finalized their team for the European U20s B Division and posted this article, which is as fun to use an online translator on as ever:
    http://www.basket.fi/uutiset/etusivu...33156=13652144

FIBA Europe is actually expanding their A Division for next year, so there are going to be no teams dropping out of the A Division and the top 4 B Division teams instead of just the top 2 will advance and Finland has to be thinking that they have a shot at one of the spots, which would be great for them as 5 of the 12 players on this squad will still be available to play in the 2013 U20s, including Alex.

Here are the other 11 players (Finnish teams often go by abbreviated 3 syllable names; some top tier sides have their younger players playing for affiliated teams in the second tier):

Osku Heinonen, Tampereen Pyrinto (Played for both top tier and second tier teams)
    Markus Molenius, Forssan Koripojat (second tier)
    Alex Vaenerberg, Salon Vilpas (top tier)
    Villematti Kopio, Tapiolan Honka (second tier, is playing for top tier Korihait next season)
    Ilari Seppälä, Kouvolan Kouvot (top tier)
    Kristofer Clement, Kauhajoen Karhu (top tier)
    Aleksi Akpaso, Kouvolan Kouvot (top tier)
    Joonas Cavén, Joventut Badalona (Spain, played for team's third tier B team)
    Henri Välimaa, Lappeenrannan NMKY (second tier)
    Daniel Dolenc, Tapiolan Honka (second tier)
    Marcel Liukko, Aankosken Huima (second tier, is playing for top tier Kauhajoen Karhu next season)

Alex finally got to play in his first competitive game as Finland faced the Czech Republic. They got off to a rocky start as their star center Joonas Caven picked up 3 quick fouls and Alex had trouble getting his shot to fall. Caven ended up fouling in the second quarter (interesting rotation management by the coach for sure) and Alex got a little more involved as Finland did cut the lead to single digits before falling further behind and losing 74-59. Alex had 11 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists in 31 minutes after shooting 5 for 16 from two-point land, 0 for 5 from three-point range, and 1 for 5 from the line. Villematti Kopio led the Finns with 23 points. Jaromir Bohacik, who comes off the bench for one of the top Czech teams, had 25 points and 9 rebounds, Martin Kriz, who gets some playing time for the top Czech team, had 14 points and 19 rebounds, Michael Sotnar, who plays heavy minutes with another top flight Czech team, had 10 points, and Ondrej Balvin, who is contracted to a top-tier Spanish team, but played mostly with their B affiliate in the fourth division, had 7 points and 18 rebounds before fouling out after Alex drew a charge. Rebounding continues to be a major concern for Finland as Alex was tied for the team lead with 6 and the Czechs' top two rebounders combined for 3 more than the entire Finnish team. Here is the boxscore:
    http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/enDivB/...4.teamID_.html

Switzerland beat Hungary 60-53 in the other game in the group and they are the next team to face Finland as they square off in the late time slot again on Saturday.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Alex finally got to play in his first competitive game as Finland faced the Czech Republic. They got off to a rocky start as their star center Joonas Caven picked up 3 quick fouls and Alex had trouble getting his shot to fall. Caven ended up fouling in the second quarter (interesting rotation management by the coach for sure) and Alex got a little more involved as Finland did cut the lead to single digits before falling further behind and losing 74-59. Alex had 11 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists in 31 minutes after shooting 5 for 16 from two-point land, 0 for 5 from three-point range, and 1 for 5 from the line. Villematti Kopio led the Finns with 23 points. Jaromir Bohacik, who comes off the bench for one of the top Czech teams, had 25 points and 9 rebounds, Martin Kriz, who gets some playing time for the top Czech team, had 14 points and 19 rebounds, Michael Sotnar, who plays heavy minutes with another top flight Czech team, had 10 points, and Ondrej Balvin, who is contracted to a top-tier Spanish team, but played mostly with their B affiliate in the fourth division, had 7 points and 18 rebounds before fouling out after Alex drew a charge. Rebounding continues to be a major concern for Finland as Alex was tied for the team lead with 6 and the Czechs' top two rebounders combined for 3 more than the entire Finnish team. Here is the boxscore:

Switzerland beat Hungary 60-53 in the other game in the group and they are the next team to face Finland as they square off in the late time slot again on Saturday.
    In fairness, reports are that Alex was double-teamed every time he touched the ball for much of the game. Sounds like they were going to insure they shut Alex down at all costs and force someone else to step up and beat them. Excellent strategy by the bad guys as it led to a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    In fairness, reports are that Alex was double-teamed every time he touched the ball for much of the game. Sounds like they were going to insure they shut Alex down at all costs and force someone else to step up and beat them. Excellent strategy by the bad guys as it led to a win.
    Yeah, they successfully held him in check.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Yeah, they successfully held him in check.
    Their roster is a check list?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I'm really happy to hear that Alex is playing well enough to warrant contant double teaming! I know it's U20 and all but it's pretty darn cool to hear that he's the guy other teams are worried about!

Finland started slow against Switzerland, but turned it on in the second quarter on their way to a 90-64 win. The result gives them a solid chance at moving on with a win over Hungary on Monday. Alex had 15 points and 6 rebounds in 29 minutes. Markus Molenius led the team with 20 points, Joonas Caven had 18 points and 8 rebounds as he decided not to foul out in the first half this time, and Ilari Seppala had 12 points and 7 assists. In the loss, Marko Mladjan, who gets a little bit of playing time with the Swiss champions, had 16 points and 8 rebounds, and Brian Savoy, who plays in Spain's fourth tier, had 16 points. Here is the boxscore:

http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/enDivB/...eamID_281.html

Alex had 15 points in 29 minutes to lead the the team, but Finland lost 85-70 to Hungary. Now they need the Czech Republic to beat Switzerland to move on. I will recap everything after the rest of the games determine Finland's fate for the tournament.

These stats suggest to me, particularly the 5 for 16 from two point range, that Alex is a jump shooter joining a team of jump shooters. Just saying' I am longing for someone who will be 14 of 16 from two point range, I.e. directly under the hoop. From what I have read, Amile and Rodney may play more inside.

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Devil View Post
    From what I have read, Amile and Rodney may play more inside.
    Really? From what I've read, Rodney Hood took 45% of his shots from 3-point range last season (as a comparison, Austin Rivers took less than 40% of his shots from 3-range), and Amile Jefferson has been floating around the perimeter at the Pro-Am. Ultimately, Amile may end up being more of an inside player, but at Duke the wings tend to play on the perimeter. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Fortunately for you, this coming season we'll have Mason Plumlee setting up primarily around the basket, and Marshall Plumlee as well. I also believe Ryan Kelly will score more from inside than he has in the past, although I'm sure he'll also be shooting a lot from the outside too, so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Really? From what I've read, Rodney Hood took 45% of his shots from 3-point range last season (as a comparison, Austin Rivers took less than 40% of his shots from 3-range), and Amile Jefferson has been floating around the perimeter at the Pro-Am. Ultimately, Amile may end up being more of an inside player, but at Duke the wings tend to play on the perimeter. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Fortunately for you, this coming season we'll have Mason Plumlee setting up primarily around the basket, and Marshall Plumlee as well. I also believe Ryan Kelly will score more from inside than he has in the past, although I'm sure he'll also be shooting a lot from the outside too, so you never know.
    This. I think this is absolutely crucial to our youngens' development. Amile, as talented as he is, would get crushed at the 4 (not to mention the 5) in ACC play. His body just isn't ready. A year of body development for both Amile and Rodney would do wonders for them. And there is absolutely no pressure to perform in the frontcourt this year, with 2 of our 3 leaders starting at the 4 and 5 and a junior helping out at the 4 and a 7 footer helping out at the 5.

I like our frontcourt a lot, and feel that we are set there for the year. It's the 1 and the 3 where we should be a little more concerned about.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    This. I think this is absolutely crucial to our youngens' development. Amile, as talented as he is, would get crushed at the 4 (not to mention the 5) in ACC play. His body just isn't ready. A year of body development for both Amile and Rodney would do wonders for them. And there is absolutely no pressure to perform in the frontcourt this year, with 2 of our 3 leaders starting at the 4 and 5 and a junior helping out at the 4 and a 7 footer helping out at the 5.

I like our frontcourt a lot, and feel that we are set there for the year. It's the 1 and the 3 where we should be a little more concerned about.
    I don't think Hood needs a year of physical development (though he's going to get it as he's required to sit out). For one thing, he's already had a year of physical development. For another, he's already plenty big to play his natural position (SG/SF).

Aside from that, I agree. I'm not terribly worried about our frontcourt. Mason, Kelly, Marshall, Hairston, and Jefferson will be just fine there. I'm also not terribly worried about our backcourt, as I think Curry and Sulaimon are going to be terrific. PG and SF are the only question marks, but Cook and Murphy (with Sulaimon and Thornton mixed in) present promising options there, too.