On a related note, I heard the middle part of the Montana Senate race debate on the radio tonight between Sen. Tester (D) and Rep. Rehberg (R), and I was actually quite impressed with how it went.

They stayed within clearly defined time limits (2 minutes / 2 minutes / 1 minute / 30 second format or something like that) and the moderator kept it strictly enforced. There were pretty tough questions from both journalists that didn't seem to faze either candidate. And they stayed on topic too. In fact, they really took it to each other with somewhat clear and succinct points (mixed with a fair amount of direct attacks), but every impressive jab was equally impressively parried. By both sides. Every time I thought someone had really put his opponent in an uncomfortable position, the tide turned just as fast.

Granted, I know almost nothing about Montana-specific issues and don't have a horse in the race, and the only other portions of debates I've heard (besides the obvious) have been Brown/Warren and McCaskill/Akin, but this one was oddly compelling and different for some reason. (bored on a drive home in the dark?)