Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Don't forget that the Secretary of State was conducting and investigation of one of the agents.... anyone seen the results of that investigation?
    Mike Nifong had it sealed in a mayonnaise jar, and it's sitting on Funk and Wagnall's front porch.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    More breaking news about the academics problems at Carolina: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...ks-sbi-to.html
    With the SBI involved, it is past time for UNC to step up, admit they have major issues, and clean house. Maybe the SBI involvement will be the final straw, but they are now up against it again. Not sure what it is going to take, and if I had to guess, UNC will stick with the status quo of "This was one rogue professor, who is no longer with the University, and we are confident that The Carolina Way is back in and stronger than ever".

They will then continue with sweeping this under the rug where the other "rogues" were swept to. At some point however, the rogues will be poking out the sides of the rug, and the piper will have to be paid.

What a mess..

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    With the SBI involved, it is past time for UNC to step up, admit they have major issues, and clean house. Maybe the SBI involvement will be the final straw, but they are now up against it again. Not sure what it is going to take, and if I had to guess, UNC will stick with the status quo of "This was one rogue professor, who is no longer with the University, and we are confident that The Carolina Way is back in and stronger than ever".

They will then continue with sweeping this under the rug where the other "rogues" were swept to. At some point however, the rogues will be poking out the sides of the rug, and the piper will have to be paid.

What a mess..
    In an earlier post I questioned the fact that they were allowing the Dept Head to retire in July. Although I did not suggest and investigation into this by the SBI, I thought as a tax payer that it stunck to hhigh heaven.

In the Navy we had this thing called a "show cause" process/hearing, where when someone (mostly of higher rank) was found to be or suspected of skirting the lines of duty by basically doing little to nothing, we would put a team together and put the burden of proof on the individual as to why they should stay on active duty. Sounds like a fabulous idea for this situation and do it for the entire department...

I hate the fact that mine and your tax money will be going to this slacker for the rest of his life if in fact he did as little as has been suggested. Tenure may of had it place at one time in academia but, now it seems to be a goal just to get protection to do as little as possible. The whole system probably needs overhaul.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/...en-hearts.html

Excellent editorial from the Raleigh News and Observer.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

What I found most amusing was the list of tags on the article: "Tags: UNC-Chapel Hill | academic scandal | Holden Thorp | Julius Nyang'oro | Wade Hargrove".

No "Baddour". No "Davis". Hell, no "football" or "athletics" even.

Gotta love the N&O.

-jk

Thorp has tackled the issue at those points where The N&O has obtained records and reported on what happened, or didn’t happen, but he hasn’t seemed to push for a really aggressive investigation – even while the university’s academic standards have been corrupted and the “Carolina way” has become a joke.
    Ouch.

I'm out of the immediate NC area, but found this link FROM THE FRONT PAGE OF THE USA TODAY WEBSITE:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...pect-classes/1

Man, you can't BUY publicity like that! Way to go Carolina!

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    I'm out of the immediate NC area, but found this link FROM THE FRONT PAGE OF THE USA TODAY WEBSITE:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...pect-classes/1

Man, you can't BUY publicity like that! Way to go Carolina!
    'Other records show that football and basketball players made up a majority of the enrollments of nine particularly suspect classes in which the professors listed as instructors have denied involvement, and have claimed that signatures were forged on records related to them."

Which basketball players?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    'Other records show that football and basketball players made up a majority of the enrollments of nine particularly suspect classes in which the professors listed as instructors have denied involvement, and have claimed that signatures were forged on records related to them."

I'm guessing the ones that get to leave the court first in the unlikely event that a riot ensue.

Athletes other than football players

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

While I certainly do not know the accuracy of the following, it is one of several comments appearing with the Raleigh News & Observer article:

"I still can't understand why everyone is dancing around UNC's basketball program and focussing on football players. The basketball players were enrolled in these classes at about the same rate as football players... there are just fewer of them.

Every media member seems to want do tap-dance around the fact that every single player from the 2009 championship team took Swahili from Professor Kangaroo.

THAT is the story but everyone in the media seems afraid of it."

You may wish to review the other reader comments accompanying the cited N&O editorial.

k

drinks on me if they vacate the 09...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    drinks on me if they vacate the 09...
    That's not enough. They need to vacate the Helms too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    While I certainly do not know the accuracy of the following, it is one of several comments appearing with the Raleigh News & Observer article:

"I still can't understand why everyone is dancing around UNC's basketball program and focussing on football players. The basketball players were enrolled in these classes at about the same rate as football players... there are just fewer of them.

Every media member seems to want do tap-dance around the fact that every single player from the 2009 championship team took Swahili from Professor Kangaroo.

THAT is the story but everyone in the media seems afraid of it."

You may wish to review the other reader comments accompanying the cited N&O editorial.

k

I had seen this reported somewhere earlier, and have now found an online interview with Tyler Hansbrough from a Memphis newspaper covering the 2008 tournament in which Hansbrough reported having taken Swahili for three years.

"Sijambo!" he said. "That's 'good morning.' I wouldn't say I'm ready to go to Kenya right this minute, but I know a little something or two."
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...bileRedirect=1

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    That's not enough. They need to vacate the Helms too.
    The light blue folks fans probably long for the day that the Helms "national title" was their biggest scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The light blue folks fans probably long for the day that the Helms "national title" was their biggest scandal.
    I am not sure they really understand what trouble they are in.

Five or six years ago, an entering UNC freshman football player told me that he was ushered to a separate line to register and drop/add in the fall. Courses (professors?) were "suggested" (selected?) to him, based upon the realities of his football commitment. I know that this kind of process is probably not unique at many schools. My experience is that Duke does things much differently.

A fine institution is being more than tarnished by this apparrant institutional corruption. Where's Butch.

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    I know that this kind of process is probably not unique at many schools. My experience is that Duke does things much differently..
    I just taught a 200-level History course at a PAC-12 school. I had two football players as students. Both of them showed up for (almost) every class, took every quiz and test, and earned passing grades. One of them earned an A. I also had coaches contact me to check on the status of their attendance and grades. I was pretty impressed by that. It undercuts the notion that the UNC deal is endemic throughout all big colleges. Needless to say, I kept hard copies of all their quizes and tests - just in case anyone comes looking for them later. But they were indeed scholar-atheletes.

Quote Originally Posted by dukejames View Post
    I am not sure they really understand what trouble they are in.
    I don't think I understand either, in the sense of predicting among several possible scenarios.

Which are the influential constituencies, what are they thinking, what will they do?

I continue to wonder what faculty members think, whether more than just one or two will insist on a thorough investigation, and whether faculty opinion, even if appalled, united, and vocal, will have any impact.

I have to believe that there are plenty of folks, in several different constituencies, who do have some understanding of the impact of this on the reputation, not to mention the substance, of a great university.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    I just taught a 200-level History course at a PAC-12 school. I had two football players as students. Both of them showed up for (almost) every class, took every quiz and test, and earned passing grades. One of them earned an A. I also had coaches contact me to check on the status of their attendance and grades. I was pretty impressed by that. It undercuts the notion that the UNC deal is endemic throughout all big colleges. Needless to say, I kept hard copies of all their quizes and tests - just in case anyone comes looking for them later. But they were indeed scholar-atheletes.
    Glad to hear of your personal experience. I'm hopeful that this is a norm in the top football programs. There are certainly scholar-athletes at other schools, including UNC, that could have made it in without a pre-admission "curve" and the class "alchemy" apparantly instituted at UNC. They got caught. Perhaps other college programs, using similar methods, will receive a wake-up call. The image and the reality of a great learning institution will unfortunately be tarnished for a long time.

the professor's nonprofit and Nike

I, for one, would like to hear more about Nike's 500K contribution to Prof. N's nonprofit. Have only seen scant references to it on the web.

It seems, at least from outward appearances, to be a quid pro quo.

Just sayin'.