5 41.67%
  • $400-$450 million

2 16.67%
  • More than $450 million

1 8.33%
  • I hate comic book movies and wish they would all go away

0 0%

Avengers Box Office Predictions

The other thread seemed to have somewhat inadequate choices so I am starting a new one.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The other thread seemed to have somewhat inadequate choices so I am starting a new one.

-Jason
    oh thanks a BUNCH jason....now you AND my 4yr old daughter are pointing out the obvious...

thanks buddy....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Saw in the Raleigh N&O today it did about $178 million in Europe this past weekend. (If my feeble mind remembers what I read late this afternoon in a somewhat exhausted state of mental capabilities.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

It was a very bold prediction, but I think I might just be the winner here...word of mouth on this movie is fantastic
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Heading towards a billion quickly...

... Worldwide. Today's update has the worldwide box office take at $803mil. The $1billion mark is expected to be hit on Sunday. The US box office is listed today at $270mil. Where this movie ends up on the scale is anybody's guess, but it promises to be a huge number!

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news...midnight-shows
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

There is little question that Channing will win this poll. I clearly made the choices too small though as I probably should have had numbers up through $600 million. I expect Avengers to end up in the $500s.

-Jason "can it reach $2 bil worldwide? Only Titanic and Avatar have done that (tips hat to James "moneymaker" Cameron)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

ugh...as much as i liked the "movie", i am getting ridden like a rented donkey for my initial low projections....now my friend is saying that it will beat Avatar and since it's smashed just about every record so far, my nay-saying has little conviction..

there are a lot of reports that this film could have the largest/quickest REPEAT business of all time...

rock on joss whedon....congrats...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

well, it topped a billion AND destroyed the 2nd weekend mark...

where will it begin to fade?

I think it'll be interesting to see how much of a drop Avengers has with Battleship hitting the theaters. On the one hand, Battleship will almost certainly draw off some repeat business from the adolescent/under 25 male audience. On the other hand, with Battleship getting some pretty blah reviews and being so obviously marketed toward that young/male crowd, it won't steal away much business from other demographics who either have waited a little bit to see Avengers, are finally deciding to see it after hearing good word of mouth from friends, or who are interested in a second viewing.

I was surprised to see just a 50% dropoff from weekend 1 to weekend 2, given how huge the weekend 1 opening was. If Avengers can have another 50% dropoff, will a $50 million third weekend keep it number 1 at the box office over Battleship?

Kicking myself mightily for picking the safe $350-400 zone on this poll. Boxofficemojo.com is now agreeing with Jason that Avengers is going to clear $500M comfortably, and may pass The Dark Knight for number 3 on the all time list.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I think it'll be interesting to see how much of a drop Avengers has with Battleship hitting the theaters. On the one hand, Battleship will almost certainly draw off some repeat business from the adolescent/under 25 male audience. On the other hand, with Battleship getting some pretty blah reviews and being so obviously marketed toward that young/male crowd, it won't steal away much business from other demographics who either have waited a little bit to see Avengers, are finally deciding to see it after hearing good word of mouth from friends, or who are interested in a second viewing.

I don't know about Battleship. Everyone I have talked to thinks it looks stupid, retarded, not worth it, etc... Yet to find anyone interested in this movie. I have seen very very few commercials for it and the ones I have seen are really bad.

over $1 billion

Interesting box office update:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marv..._stays_on_top/

Avengers has topped $1 billion wordwide and also set records for the most profitable second weekend of US release (by a staggering $25 million!) and greatest cumulative box office through 19 days (by $60 million!!).

The article does point out that part of the record box office is fueled by higher ticket prices (for the 3-D and the like) and that Dark Knight actually solid more tickets to this point. I guess this is a phenomena that we should get used to.

PS I'm with DaveKay about Battleship. I think it might hurt Avengers a bit this weekend since it appeals to the same young male audience that is fueling Avengers mania. JNort, I don't know what TV you are watching -- I've rarely seen a movie get MORE TV play than Battleship. It's also being heavily pushed in a lot of the new media stuff -- facebook and the like. I agree that it looks stupid and I'm not excited about it, but I felt the same way about the Transformer movies (which this appears to resemble) and they were megahits.

PPS The article I linked above also makes it clear that Dark Sahdows is not going to do well. Anybody in our summer contest that bet on Depp and Burton is a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

The article does point out that part of the record box office is fueled by higher ticket prices (for the 3-D and the like) and that Dark Knight actually solid more tickets to this point. I guess this is a phenomena that we should get used to.
    Exactly. This is why I don't get excited over records broken at the box office. They will eventually be broken no matter how good the movies are, due to increased ticket prices and a larger population.

What would be much more interesting to see is the tickets sold per 1,000 people or something. That would help make comparisons fair across different time periods.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Exactly. This is why I don't get excited over records broken at the box office. They will eventually be broken no matter how good the movies are, due to increased ticket prices and a larger population.

What would be much more interesting to see is the tickets sold per 1,000 people or something. That would help make comparisons fair across different time periods.
    boxofficemojo has rankings of movie box office based on ticket prices adjusted for inflation.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Gone With The Wind is still the king...er...the queen.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    boxofficemojo has rankings of movie box office based on ticket prices adjusted for inflation.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Gone With The Wind is still the king...er...the queen.
    Two things that struck me from that page:

CHART NOTES
    * Adjusted to the estimated 2012 average ticket price of $7.92. "
    I would love to pay only $7.92 for a movie ticket. It's $12 at the nicer theater near us, and $11.50 at the older one (non-3D, non-IMAX). If 7.92's average, then there must be a whole lot of theaters in this country with tickets in the $5-$6 range. So jealous.

Most pre-1980 pictures achieved their totals through multiple releases, especially Disney animated features which made much of their totals in the past few decades belying their original release dates in terms of adjustment. For example, Snow White has made $118,328,683 of its unadjusted $184,925,486 total since 1983.
    I didn't see anywhere that had a chart using the revenue from only a movie's first release. That would be an interesting comparison too.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Two things that struck me from that page:

I would love to pay only $7.92 for a movie ticket. It's $12 at the nicer theater near us, and $11.50 at the older one (non-3D, non-IMAX). If 7.92's average, then there must be a whole lot of theaters in this country with tickets in the $5-$6 range. So jealous.

I didn't see anywhere that had a chart using the revenue from only a movie's first release. That would be an interesting comparison too.
    I haven't paid $5 for a movie ticket since going to movies at Wyndsong over by South Square while I was at Duke!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

it is now perched at #9 all time world wide gross...

it has:

a theme park ride
    a cartoon
    ANOTHER theme park ride
    a hobbit
    shia lebeouf
    a wizard
    a boat
    and some really tall pterodactyl-riding smurfs ahead of it...

where will it land?

We pay $6 here in Albemarle, NC and I think 3-D was $8.50

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I haven't paid $5 for a movie ticket since going to movies at Wyndsong over by South Square while I was at Duke!
    Same! Grumble, grumble...