Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's in a name?

I could spend waaay too much time looking at this site.

Former Duke player John (#2) Smith (#1), who lived on my hall freshman year, would hate this

Is anyone around here more common than me?

-Jason (#24) Evans (#48)
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Former Duke player John (#2) Smith (#1), who lived on my hall freshman year, would hate this

-Jason (#24) Evans (#48)

Why, Howdy! My first/last name sum up to 9.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Nice to meet you Michael Jones.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I am a rather unique individual at 586.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Impressive. I know three Michael Smiths (which now doesn't seem so surprising), who come in at 5.

Alas, I'm well north of 100,000 myself.

I did notice these are from the 1990 census, so I'm guessing there's been some shuffling going on since then that makes them at least a little misleading.

I have two first names. In order, I add up to 339. If I reverse them, I get 126. I guess that explains why so many people continue to call me by my last name, thinking it's my first, after many years and after many corrections. I guess it just sounds more normal reversed.

my name

It's frustrating ... I have a good English surname ... and it doesn't make the top 10,000 names ...

And my first name, which is Welsh in origin isn't even listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's frustrating ... I have a good English surname ... and it doesn't make the top 10,000 names ...

And my first name, which is Welsh in origin isn't even listed.
    Does that mean that you do not exist?

existance

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Does that mean that you do not exist?
    Well, as that drunken fart Rene Descartes said, "I drink, therefore I am!"

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I can't do this test. I go by a nickname for my middle name. My first name is very uncommon (and I hate it). My middle name has an uncommon spelling. I do know that if you Google my uncommon spelling of my middle name and my last name, you pretty much get only me. My last name is ranked around #2500. I always knew my last name was more common than my husband's but his is ranked over #34,000! There are only 619 people in the country with his last name. Of course, if this really is based on the 1990 census between my family and my husband's brother, there are 7 more. He's gaining on me, neither of my brothers have children.

Including my middle name, which is in the top 100, I'm a fairly uncommon 19,635.

neat site

My surname is in the 11,000-11,999 range. Just a couple thousand of us. Between "Andujar" and "Swayze". ha ha!

First name is somewhere between "Walter" and "Roger". Sexy, eh? But wait ... middle name is between "Melvin" and "Herbert". Look out ladies!

I simply do not exist.

Someone please inform the IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I can't do this test. I go by a nickname for my middle name. My first name is very uncommon (and I hate it). My middle name has an uncommon spelling. I do know that if you Google my uncommon spelling of my middle name and my last name, you pretty much get only me. My last name is ranked around #2500. I always knew my last name was more common than my husband's but his is ranked over #34,000! There are only 619 people in the country with his last name. Of course, if this really is based on the 1990 census between my family and my husband's brother, there are 7 more. He's gaining on me, neither of my brothers have children.
    I think if you do a search on your exact name using their engine on the top left of the page, you get results from the 2000 census, but if you look at the ordered list, it's the 1990 census. I noticed when I first found my ranking directly by search and then went to see what was around it, and there were slight differences in ranking.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason (#24) Evans (#48)
    Pretty Cool Jason!

A little irony for me. My first name (Mark) is 14 on the list and 14 is my favorite number and the number I wore in sports as did my brother and sister. Last name (Newton) was 367

I'm 1556 including 1st and last names. I'd be more popular if my 1st name were spelled the more common ways (Darrell or Darryl) than Daryl. Not too shabby, I guess.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

There are I think nine people alive with my last name (I know them all, unless someone had a kid recently).

A Duke Endowment beneficiary contains a first and last name that sums to three.

John (2) Robert (3) Green (37) so my three names total 42.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    11th for first name, 152nd for last name. As a last name, Duke is exactly 800 spots after mine.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Hmm, in the 13,000's for last name; first name just barely missed the top 100 for males.