Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Dukies in the NBA 2012

I wanted to post this blurb about Nolan and Armon Johnson in Blazers training camp and it doesn't seem to fit with the other current NBA topics (free agents and Shane to Miami), so I thought I'd get this thread started for the season.

Anyway, it seems that Nolan's play, and specifically his basketball IQ, have impressed his teammates... including Ray Felton. I noticed on Nolan's twitter that he's been spending time off the court with Elliott Williams and Armon Johnson. Nolan is the ultimate teammate. I bet that by next summer he will be successfully recruiting free agent the way he drew high school players to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I wanted to post this blurb about Nolan and Armon Johnson in Blazers training camp and it doesn't seem to fit with the other current NBA topics (free agents and Shane to Miami), so I thought I'd get this thread started for the season.

Anyway, it seems that Nolan's play, and specifically his basketball IQ, have impressed his teammates... including Ray Felton. I noticed on Nolan's twitter that he's been spending time off the court with Elliott Williams and Armon Johnson. Nolan is the ultimate teammate. I bet that by next summer he will be successfully recruiting free agent the way he drew high school players to Duke.
    Really good to hear. Nolan is consistently beloved by everyone he comes across. Not surprising for any of us here on DBR, but it's cool to see his NBA teammates appreciating him as well (although Lawson and Elliot obviously know Nolan and his great personality from Oak Hill and Duke, respectively).

I really hope Jamal Crawford doesn't sign with Portland - that would ensure more minutes for Nolan, who I'm sure will capitalize on them.

Speaking of Dukie's getting playing time, it looks like Kyrie will get a lot of run this season, with the Cavs using the amnesty clause to ship off Baron Davis. That basically leaves Ramon Sessions and Daniel Gibson as the only other PG's on the Cavs' roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    (although Lawson and Elliot obviously know Nolan and his great personality from Oak Hill and Duke, respectively)
    Just a minor correction, the Blazers got Felton from Denver (not Lawson), so the connection is not quite as strong... just rivals.

Here's a five-minute video interview with Nolan talking about his summer, being locked out, and his training camp experience.

Just a minor correction, the Blazers got Felton from Denver (not Lawson), so the connection is not quite as strong... just rivals.
    Yeah don't know what I was thinking there, confused Felton with Lawson. Those speedy UNC points.

Here's a five-minute video interview with Nolan talking about his summer, being locked out, and his training camp experience.
    Sort of unfortunate for both Nolan and Elliot Williams that Jamal Crawford signed with the Blazers. Crawford will push Wesley Matthews to the bench, but Matthews is a better player than Crawford, so while Crawford will make them better overall by creating more depth, I don't think promising him the starting job was wise. Obviously it causes more of an obstacle for PT for Nolan, but I'm sure he'll still make the best of it.

Lance Thomas drew the start tonight for the Hornets, and he has acquitted himself well, scoring 7 points and grabbing 3 rebounds and 2 steals in steady minutes. The Hornets roster is depleted, but even when they get Landry suited up, they will still need some depth at the small forward spot. Hope he earns himself a roster spot, that would be quite an impressive feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Lance Thomas drew the start tonight for the Hornets, and he has acquitted himself well, scoring 7 points and grabbing 3 rebounds and 2 steals in steady minutes. The Hornets roster is depleted, but even when they get Landry suited up, they will still need some depth at the small forward spot. Hope he earns himself a roster spot, that would be quite an impressive feat.
    I was going to post the same thing. His stat line was pretty good IMO. Correction, though: he had 8 rebounds (3 offensive, 5 defensive) in addition to 7 pts, 2 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover, and only 2 personal fouls in 37 min of play. Granted, I don't follow the NBA that closely, but it seems likely to me that he'd earn a roster spot with this kind of play. Hopefully he'll keep it up. Go LT!

8. Congrats to Lance Thomas! I for one didn't expect him to play in the NBA before Zoubek, Singler or Scheyer.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Congrats to Lance Thomas! I for one didn't expect him to play in the NBA before Zoubek, Singler or Scheyer.
    Just the preseason, but looks like lance started, played 37 mins, and had 7 pts and 8 boards last night.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=311216029

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Just the preseason, but looks like lance started, played 37 mins, and had 7 pts and 8 boards last night.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=311216029
    I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be on a team's bench this year.

Anyone know what Zoubs is doing this year?

Hill
    Brand
    Battier
    Maggette
    Dunleavy
    Boozer
    Duhon
    Jones, Dante
    Deng
    Redick
    Williams, Shelden
    McRoberts
    Henderson
    Irving
    Smith, Nolan

Possibly Lance and Singler if he does change his mind.

Do the 15 first names have secure roster spots this year? Did I leave out anyone? Relatively sure we've never had this many NBA players. Would be curious as to the alltime high from any school in the NBA at the same time.

I'm relatively certain that UCLA had 17 players on NBA teams 2 or 3 years ago, but I'm going to have to do some research to back that up because I don't keep up with UCLA on a regular basis.

Magic-Heat

It's just preseason, but the Heat just brutalized the Orlando Magic, winning by 33points.

Shane Battier did not play for the Heat, but JJ Redick was leading scorer for Orlando at 22 points on 6-11 shooting and a perfect 7-7 from the line. Duhon got almost 20 minutes of action and hit a 3 going 1-2 for the game. We are going to see a bigger role for JJ this season -- it will be great if he can start off hot.

Yesterday Dunleavy had a solid game with a Bucks but took a loss. He scored 16 points on 50% shooting and lead the team with 5 assists.

I might as well be just post a feed to the Oregonion website. Here's another update on Nolan, this about his mentor/mentee relationship with Felton. The local press seems to have quickly gained an appreciation for Nolan. How could you not?

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    Anyone know what Zoubs is doing this year?
    He's working for a mobile tech startup company in Durham. Using those smarts!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

E-Will

I was looking at Nolan's stats from the front page link (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=311219022) and noticed that Elliot Williams is on the Trail Blazers too. Both had 12 minutes of time, in which Nolan put up four points while Elliot put up 13. To have more points than minutes is pretty impressive.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just browsing the boxscores for Dukies in preseason action last night;

K. Irving played 25 minutes and shot 5-12 for 11 pts with 2 reb, 3 ast, and 2 stl.
    E. Brand scored 8 with 5 reb, 4 ast, and 1 blk.
    D. Jones had 4 points and 2 ast in 16 minutes.
    C. Boozer with 24 pts, 7 reb, 3 ast, and 2 stls.
    L. Deng with 14 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, and 1 blk.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Just browsing the boxscores for Dukies in preseason action last night;

K. Irving played 25 minutes and shot 5-12 for 11 pts with 2 reb, 3 ast, and 2 stl.
    E. Brand scored 8 with 5 reb, 4 ast, and 1 blk.
    D. Jones had 4 points and 2 ast in 16 minutes.
    C. Boozer with 24 pts, 7 reb, 3 ast, and 2 stls.
    L. Deng with 14 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, and 1 blk.
    That Bulls team is really deep, now. Deng, Boozer, Rose, Noah, and Hamilton with Rip/Noah as the 4th and 5th options can really score and defend. I'm still doubtful they can get past the Heat, but if any team has a chance, it's the Bulls. In a somewhat ironic twist from what was going on in the 90's, it is very possible that the Bulls could be the Indiana Pacers or Ewing's Knicks while the Heat play the role of Michael Jordan's Bulls. The Bulls will be very good for the next couple of seasons . . . certainly capable of winning the championship. However, I think their path will be blocked each year by the super trio in Miami.