Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jabari Parker Article - This Makes Me Sick!

Seeing this in print really made my stomach turn:

"Parker is a target of the nation's top programs, including famed one-and-done (star players that play one year before declaring for the NBA) programs Duke and Kentucky."

So now we're a one-and-done factory in the same category as Kentucky? I'm disgusted by the comparison.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Get use to it

Duke isnt in the same category as Kentucky in terms of 1 and done. Duke needs to continue to bring in top talent, 1 and done guys as well as 4 year guys. I dont like the 1 and done rule, but thats the way it is, so get use to it.

Both programs do have stars that play one year and then go pro.

You added the word factory.

I think it's an accurate sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Seeing this in print really made my stomach turn:

"Parker is a target of the nation's top programs, including famed one-and-done (star players that play one year before declaring for the NBA) programs Duke and Kentucky."

So now we're a one-and-done factory in the same category as Kentucky? I'm disgusted by the comparison.
    I think this is awesome. One and dones are a reality of college basketball. If Duke can have the perception that it's a good place for one and dones, but still maintains a clean program and emphasize academics, that is pretty much ideal. Being mentioned in the same sentence as Kentucky doesn't mean Duke has to do everything like Kentucky.

You cannot call us a 1-and-done factory. We've had 4 players turn pro after their freshman year EVER. UK had 4 drafted in the 1st round of the 2010 Draft alone. And we don't have to remind ourselves how those 4 freshman did in the tournament that year or what we ended up doing.

Until the NBA and NCAA work to change the rule, we will have 1-and-dones and we cannot avoid kids who are thinking about going that route. If we did, there would be very few kids left to recruit.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

How many programs have had their star go pro after one year, two years in a row?

Kentucky
    Duke

Note that only the OP has changed the discussion to factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    How many programs have had their star go pro after one year, two years in a row?

Kentucky
    Duke

Note that only the OP has changed the discussion to factory.
    Yeah, the term factory changes the entire debate, and that's a spin provided by the poster not the article. We've had two notable one-and-dones in a row now. As such, that puts us in the conversation.

Clearly, Kentucky is the hands-down runaway leader in the one-and-done debate. After them? We're probably next. So the article isn't all that misleading.

Horrific!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, the term factory changes the entire debate, and that's a spin provided by the poster not the article. We've had two notable one-and-dones in a row now. As such, that puts us in the conversation.

Clearly, Kentucky is the hands-down runaway leader in the one-and-done debate. After them? We're probably next. So the article isn't all that misleading.
    I disagree with you and others on this thread who are not offended by the "one and done" label attached to our team. We have had two guys do this (one after playing only a limited number of games for us). That means you can count them on your thumbs. In order to total Kentucky one and dones, you need to take off your shoes and use your toes as well as your fingers!

We are a storied basketball program with the winningest coach ever in the NCAA. We didn't get there by having one and dones... and we won't perpetuate our winning record that way. While Kyrie, had he remained healthy for the entire season, would have likely made a huge difference, Austin wasn't built to fit the Duke system.

Anything that compares us to Kentucky (and with a negative slant) makes me furious. When Calipari gets his 900+ win, then I'll think about the viability of such a comparison. Until then, we are a program that has won with seniors (Laettner, Hurley, Hill, Battier, James, Scheyer, Thomas, Zoubek... and any others I've not mentioned). Now THAT is something to be proud of!!!

Go Devils 2012-2013!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    I disagree with you and others on this thread who are not offended by the "one and done" label attached to our team. We have had two guys do this (one after playing only a limited number of games for us). That means you can count them on your thumbs. In order to total Kentucky one and dones, you need to take off your shoes and use your toes as well as your fingers!

We are a storied basketball program with the winningest coach ever in the NCAA. We didn't get there by having one and dones... and we won't perpetuate our winning record that way. While Kyrie, had he remained healthy for the entire season, would have likely made a huge difference, Austin wasn't built to fit the Duke system.

Anything that compares us to Kentucky (and with a negative slant) makes me furious. When Calipari gets his 900+ win, then I'll think about the viability of such a comparison. Until then, we are a program that has won with seniors (Laettner, Hurley, Hill, Battier, James, Scheyer, Thomas, Zoubek... and any others I've not mentioned). Now THAT is something to be proud of!!!

Go Devils 2012-2013!
    The bolded part here is just not true. Unless you have 4 thumbs.

Obviously Duke and Kentucky have different recruiting standards and strategies. The schools are vastly different institutions. And Coach K and Calipari have different legacies.

It is true, however, that Duke has, and will continue to recruit "one-and-done" level talent-- i.e., guys who are good enough to make the leap to the NBA after one year. And we should. That is how the rules are set up, and Coach K has successfully adapted to those rules. For an example of what happens to a program when its leader can't or won't change, look at the last few discontented years of Bob Knight's career at Indiana. Pretty sure Coach K has this well in mind.

And by the way, Duke is also a team that has won championships and made Final Fours with freshman playing decisive roles (Hill, Deng, Duhon, Hurley)

Parker

In terms of Jabari, there really would be no way that he would stay at Duke for more than one year. I'm sure very few of you know the process for going on a Mormon mission but essentially you apply when you turn 19 and leave shortly thereafter. Upon return, Jabari would be 21 and enter the NBA. This type of commitment is a huge sacrifice on his career and even more of a reason that I think this kid belongs at Duke.

As far as becoming a "one and done factory," I think we will continue to have at least one of these players every other year (minimum). I personally am not a fan of it but, it is the way of NCAA basketball.

Question on time commitment

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    In terms of Jabari, there really would be no way that he would stay at Duke for more than one year. I'm sure very few of you know the process for going on a Mormon mission but essentially you apply when you turn 19 and leave shortly thereafter. Upon return, Jabari would be 21 and enter the NBA. This type of commitment is a huge sacrifice on his career and even more of a reason that I think this kid belongs at Duke.

As far as becoming a "one and done factory," I think we will continue to have at least one of these players every other year (minimum). I personally am not a fan of it but, it is the way of NCAA basketball.
    I thought it was a 1-yr mission as opposed to two. Does that mean Stillman White will be away from the Carolina program for 2 years since I believe he's left for his missionary service? I'm not sure if I'm correct on this but I thought Shawn Bradley went on his missionary service just before or while he played in the NBA; and I didn't recall him missing any time in college; but again I could be mistaken.

As far as Parker only playing 1 year at Duke, that could happen; but I could see him coming back to Duke for at least one more year after his missionary service to build his skills back up in preparation for the NBA. I would find it hard to believe that Jabari would jump directly into the NBA after being away from competitive basketball and practice for 2 years. I could be wrong; but I don't believe there would be a lot of time devoted to keeping up his game while Jabari is conducting his missionary service.

Mission

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I thought it was a 1-yr mission as opposed to two. Does that mean Stillman White will be away from the Carolina program for 2 years since I believe he's left for his missionary service? I'm not sure if I'm correct on this but I thought Shawn Bradley went on his missionary service just before or while he played in the NBA; and I didn't recall him missing any time in college; but again I could be mistaken.

As far as Parker only playing 1 year at Duke, that could happen; but I could see him coming back to Duke for at least one more year after his missionary service to build his skills back up in preparation for the NBA. I would find it hard to believe that Jabari would jump directly into the NBA after being away from competitive basketball and practice for 2 years. I could be wrong; but I don't believe there would be a lot of time devoted to keeping up his game while Jabari is conducting his missionary service.
    LDS missions are two year missions. Stillman will be gone for two years. I am not LDS myself but am related to a number of LDS members.

During his mission he will not be maintaining his game as the entire time is spent serving the church/god.

Especially for a kid like Jabari, it is nice to see that he puts life and thereafter ahead of money and basketball.

This was on bleacher report right? I mean that tells you right there. They're all about 'shock factor' and what not.

Kentucky is truly a 1nDone factory; just because Duke has had two in a row in Kyrie and Austin, it doens't make us a factory. Pretty ridiculous of the writer to say this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    This was on bleacher report right? I mean that tells you right there. They're all about 'shock factor' and what not.

Kentucky is truly a 1nDone factory; just because Duke has had two in a row in Kyrie and Austin, it doens't make us a factory. Pretty ridiculous of the writer to say this.
    No, it wasn't for Bleacher Report. It was a writer for the Deseret News, a Salt Lake City newspaper (second in circulation in the state behind the Salt Lake City Tribune).

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post

To clarify - the writer did not say "factory." That was editorialization by the original poster. And it wasn't a Bleacher Report article. It appears to instead be a bit of sour grapes from the Mormon perspective (it's a Salt Lake City article), perhaps hoping that Parker would choose BYU.

Relative to BYU, Duke is most certainly more of a one-and-done program. In fact, relative to anyone but Kentucky, we're on the shortest of lists of one-and-done schools.

To clarify - the writer did not say "factory." That was editorialization by the original poster.
    Actually, on rereading the article, I now see that the writer did use the word "factory."

The 2 relevant passages are [1] the aforementioned "famed one-and-done... programs Duke and Kentucky." But then, lo and behold, in the very next paragraph, [2] the writer wonders whether Parker will choose "a one-and-done factory."

So it may well be that the OP has taken a little more flack than is deserved. It's not actually much of a stretch to infer that the writer either wittingly or unwittingly suggested that UK and Duke are one-done "factories." And if - if - witting, then the OP has even less to apologize for than this follow-up suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I suppose my use of the word "factory" was more inflammatory than the original article intended...
    To come full circle, then, I began this post by correcting something CDu wrote. I end by saying CDu may be onto a key point, suggesting some "sour grapes" by the writer.

It appears to instead be a bit of sour grapes from the Mormon perspective (it's a Salt Lake City article), perhaps hoping that Parker would choose BYU.
    In short, the use of the phrase "one-and-done factory" may not be just a coincidence, coming only a few sentences after pairing UK and Duke as "famed one-and-done programs." Maybe the writer, rather than the OP, was being inflammatory.

I don't actually care whether the writer of the article was being deliberately inflammatory. But I think the OP need not apologize, at all.

Dissed by a sportswriter at the 2nd biggest newspaper in SLC? We're getting a little sensitive.

If we can average an annual K-approved 0ad, I'll be perfectly happy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Dissed by a sportswriter at the 2nd biggest newspaper in SLC? We're getting a little sensitive.

If we can average an annual K-approved 0ad, I'll be perfectly happy.
    Yes, maybe we're being a little sensitive. Whenever I see a writer try to poke a finger in Duke's eye, in this case by somewhat inaccurately lobbing us together with KY as a "one and done factory," I start looking for other explanations for the skewed perspective. Maybe the author wants to convince a kid to come to school X instead, maybe he's playing to an audience (that is heavy in Duke-haters) or maybe HE, simply is a Duke hater. Internet searches are easy-enough done on authors. In this case, however, the antagonism is so minor, I mean, who really cares? (Small-time writer, small audience, etc.) Just chalk it up to inaaccurate reporting and move on - nothing to see here folks...

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Yes, maybe we're being a little sensitive. Whenever I see a writer try to poke a finger in Duke's eye, in this case by somewhat inaccurately lobbing us together with KY as a "one and done factory," I start looking for other explanations for the skewed perspective. Maybe the author wants to convince a kid to come to school X instead, maybe he's playing to an audience (that is heavy in Duke-haters) or maybe HE, simply is a Duke hater. Internet searches are easy-enough done on authors. In this case, however, the antagonism is so minor, I mean, who really cares? (Small-time writer, small audience, etc.) Just chalk it up to inaaccurate reporting and move on - nothing to see here folks...

Well, he's a writer in Salt Lake City (Mormon country). He's writing with regard to Jabari Parker (Mormon basketball star) and his list of favorites. It doesn't take a huge leap to realize that either (a) the writer has sour grapes that Parker might choose somewhere other than the great local Mormon school BYU, or (b) is pandering to an audience who would hold such beliefs, or (c) both. I'd say one of those 3 choices is more likely than merely inaccurate reporting.

So, are we a one and done factory now that will be lumped in with Kentucky? It's interesting to read the opinions on the matter, and how they evolved with our recruiting the past 6 years.