Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    In terms of Jabari, there really would be no way that he would stay at Duke for more than one year. I'm sure very few of you know the process for going on a Mormon mission but essentially you apply when you turn 19 and leave shortly thereafter. Upon return, Jabari would be 21 and enter the NBA. This type of commitment is a huge sacrifice on his career and even more of a reason that I think this kid belongs at Duke.

As far as becoming a "one and done factory," I think we will continue to have at least one of these players every other year (minimum). I personally am not a fan of it but, it is the way of NCAA basketball.
    Note that Parker hasn't committed to the idea of doing a mission. It's just a possibility. Not all Mormons go on missions. Jimmer Fredette, for example, did not. Nor did Chris Burgess. As far as I've read, Parker has not ruled out the possibility of going on a Mormon mission, but has certainly not decided to do one. So being a "two-and-done" is still very much a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    You cannot call us a 1-and-done factory. We've had 4 players turn pro after their freshman year EVER. UK had 4 drafted in the 1st round of the 2010 Draft alone. And we don't have to remind ourselves how those 4 freshman did in the tournament that year or what we ended up doing.

Until the NBA and NCAA work to change the rule, we will have 1-and-dones and we cannot avoid kids who are thinking about going that route. If we did, there would be very few kids left to recruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    I disagree with you and others on this thread who are not offended by the "one and done" label attached to our team. We have had two guys do this (one after playing only a limited number of games for us). That means you can count them on your thumbs. In order to total Kentucky one and dones, you need to take off your shoes and use your toes as well as your fingers!

We are a storied basketball program with the winningest coach ever in the NCAA. We didn't get there by having one and dones... and we won't perpetuate our winning record that way. While Kyrie, had he remained healthy for the entire season, would have likely made a huge difference, Austin wasn't built to fit the Duke system.

Anything that compares us to Kentucky (and with a negative slant) makes me furious. When Calipari gets his 900+ win, then I'll think about the viability of such a comparison. Until then, we are a program that has won with seniors (Laettner, Hurley, Hill, Battier, James, Scheyer, Thomas, Zoubek... and any others I've not mentioned). Now THAT is something to be proud of!!!

Go Devils 2012-2013!
    Well if you look at it like I do then yes we could be considered a "one and done school" but so could unc and a few others. We target one and done type of guys every year (Austin, Drummond, Barnes, Kyrie, Knight, Wall, Monroe, Bledsoe, Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, etc...) but we do not always get them to commit. Kentucky has just gotten more commits from top tier talent in the last few years than we have which has given them that perception. We could very easily be what Kentucky is now if we had gotten a few more guys signed (prob not as bad as UK but we would be right there).

That said Duke has targeted more 4 year guys than UK as well and this is where UK is really off from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    How many programs have had their star go pro after one year, two years in a row?

Kentucky
    Duke

Note that only the OP has changed the discussion to factory.
    UCLA also experienced this relatively recently, with Kevin Love and Jrue Holiday going pro after a single season in Westwood, Love in 2007-08 and Holiday in 2008-09.

This was on bleacher report right? I mean that tells you right there. They're all about 'shock factor' and what not.

Kentucky is truly a 1nDone factory; just because Duke has had two in a row in Kyrie and Austin, it doens't make us a factory. Pretty ridiculous of the writer to say this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    This was on bleacher report right? I mean that tells you right there. They're all about 'shock factor' and what not.

Kentucky is truly a 1nDone factory; just because Duke has had two in a row in Kyrie and Austin, it doens't make us a factory. Pretty ridiculous of the writer to say this.
    No, it wasn't for Bleacher Report. It was a writer for the Deseret News, a Salt Lake City newspaper (second in circulation in the state behind the Salt Lake City Tribune).

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post

To clarify - the writer did not say "factory." That was editorialization by the original poster. And it wasn't a Bleacher Report article. It appears to instead be a bit of sour grapes from the Mormon perspective (it's a Salt Lake City article), perhaps hoping that Parker would choose BYU.

Relative to BYU, Duke is most certainly more of a one-and-done program. In fact, relative to anyone but Kentucky, we're on the shortest of lists of one-and-done schools.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So I am sympathetic to the OP's gut reaction. Being in the same sentence as Kentucky is rarely good.
    Thanks for the defense. I suppose my use of the word "factory" was more inflammatory than the original article intended, but being placed in the same category as Cal-tucky in this regard just seems so unsavory and dirty.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Thanks for the defense. I suppose my use of the word "factory" was more inflammatory than the original article intended, but being placed in the same category as Cal-tucky in this regard just seems so unsavory and dirty.
    Anytime you are in proximity to coach cal, check your wallet and watch, and have your wife, your daughter and your dog take pregnancy tests.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To clarify - the writer did not say "factory." That was editorialization by the original poster.
    Actually, on rereading the article, I now see that the writer did use the word "factory."

The 2 relevant passages are [1] the aforementioned "famed one-and-done... programs Duke and Kentucky." But then, lo and behold, in the very next paragraph, [2] the writer wonders whether Parker will choose "a one-and-done factory."

So it may well be that the OP has taken a little more flack than is deserved. It's not actually much of a stretch to infer that the writer either wittingly or unwittingly suggested that UK and Duke are one-done "factories." And if - if - witting, then the OP has even less to apologize for than this follow-up suggests.

I suppose my use of the word "factory" was more inflammatory than the original article intended...
    To come full circle, then, I began this post by correcting something CDu wrote. I end by saying CDu may be onto a key point, suggesting some "sour grapes" by the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It appears to instead be a bit of sour grapes from the Mormon perspective (it's a Salt Lake City article), perhaps hoping that Parker would choose BYU.
    In short, the use of the phrase "one-and-done factory" may not be just a coincidence, coming only a few sentences after pairing UK and Duke as "famed one-and-done programs." Maybe the writer, rather than the OP, was being inflammatory.

I don't actually care whether the writer of the article was being deliberately inflammatory. But I think the OP need not apologize, at all.

Dissed by a sportswriter at the 2nd biggest newspaper in SLC? We're getting a little sensitive.

If we can average an annual K-approved 0ad, I'll be perfectly happy.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Actually, on rereading the article, I now see that the writer did use the word "factory."

The 2 relevant passages are [1] the aforementioned "famed one-and-done... programs Duke and Kentucky." But then, lo and behold, in the very next paragraph, [2] the writer wonders whether Parker will choose "a one-and-done factory."

So it may well be that the OP has taken a little more flack than is deserved. It's not actually much of a stretch to infer that the writer either wittingly or unwittingly suggested that UK and Duke are one-done "factories." And if - if - witting, then the OP has even less to apologize for than this follow-up suggests.

To come full circle, then, I began this post by correcting something CDu wrote. I end by saying CDu may be onto a key point, suggesting some "sour grapes" by the writer.

In short, the use of the phrase "one-and-done factory" may not be just a coincidence, coming only a few sentences after pairing UK and Duke as "famed one-and-done programs." Maybe the writer, rather than the OP, was being inflammatory.

I don't actually care whether the writer of the article was being deliberately inflammatory. But I think the OP need not apologize, at all.
    Thanks Gum. I guess I forgot that I read the "factory" bit in the article and so I believed I didn't have much in terms of defending myself. I have to admit that I kind of find all of this amusing. I've been a member and fairly consistent poster on this website since the days it had a basketball court as the background, went by the name Sagarmatha, and was run by a game named James. The flaming is just part of being a member. Sometimes you write something smart and sometimes you don't. All in all, though, I think the discourse on the one-and-done factory topic and Duke's place in it has been really interesting.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Got your back, bro. I feel the same.

K has said in the past that the 1-&-done rule is bad. Either let the kids go straight to the NBA, or require at least two years. Seems reasonable to me. But we've got to play with the rules we have, and I can't see telling someone that they don't fit our model because they have major league chops. Kyrie is a great example -- wonderful kid, good student, etc. -- that I was proud to have associated with our school and hope he gets his degree when he can.

This title is really melodramatic. It is so much ado about nothing. We get star players... that isn't a bad thing on our program, but rather on THE SPORT. We play by the rules of the sport. So to be competitive and recruit, we have to be willing to take the top talent for however long they intend to participate in the sport.

Also, this article may mention us in the same sentence, but really they are speaking of teams that get the best players and compete for titles. Better they list us next to them than next to someone irrelevant. This is not to mention that we have had 3 one and done players in the past several years. That is not bad (and one was a transfer; I list him because I am going to miss Silent G)...

If we want to recruit good players we're going to have to deal with one and dones. For every guy that goes one-and-done there are probably 5-10 guys who are similarly talented at the time we start recruiting them (i.e. around their sophomore year of high school) but wind up staying in school for 2-4 years. There's so much uncertainty in how guys will develop, so if we were to stop recruiting anyone who has even a remote chance of being a one-and-doner, then we're cutting out a pretty significant percentage of the overall talent pool. Guys like Kyle and Mason were potential one-and-doners as high schoolers. What if we had laid off of them out of the fear of being labeled an NBA factory?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Dissed by a sportswriter at the 2nd biggest newspaper in SLC? We're getting a little sensitive.

If we can average an annual K-approved 0ad, I'll be perfectly happy.
    Yes, maybe we're being a little sensitive. Whenever I see a writer try to poke a finger in Duke's eye, in this case by somewhat inaccurately lobbing us together with KY as a "one and done factory," I start looking for other explanations for the skewed perspective. Maybe the author wants to convince a kid to come to school X instead, maybe he's playing to an audience (that is heavy in Duke-haters) or maybe HE, simply is a Duke hater. Internet searches are easy-enough done on authors. In this case, however, the antagonism is so minor, I mean, who really cares? (Small-time writer, small audience, etc.) Just chalk it up to inaaccurate reporting and move on - nothing to see here folks...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If we want to recruit good players we're going to have to deal with one and dones. For every guy that goes one-and-done there are probably 5-10 guys who are similarly talented at the time we start recruiting them (i.e. around their sophomore year of high school) but wind up staying in school for 2-4 years. There's so much uncertainty in how guys will develop, so if we were to stop recruiting anyone who has even a remote chance of being a one-and-doner, then we're cutting out a pretty significant percentage of the overall talent pool. Guys like Kyle and Mason were potential one-and-doners as high schoolers. What if we had laid off of them out of the fear of being labeled an NBA factory?
    I think Duke has done well with all 4 one and done players thus far. As I said in a another thread I thought all those guys, at the time Duke started recruiting them, still had something to prove at the college level before they would be considered a slam dunk lottery player. I don't think that was true for Bazz or Wall though. Like K said those players are still great kids but they really don't belong in College for 6-mos. We really got in on Bazz kinda late so I never saw the point in recruiting him. I also never really believed he would come to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think Duke has done well with all 4 one and done players thus far. As I said in a another thread I thought all those guys, at the time Duke started recruiting them, still had something to prove at the college level before they would be considered a slam dunk lottery player.
    I agree with this, and will add that all four of the guys seemed to be completely committed to their academics for the time in which they were in school. That's not true for everyone. Maybe they didn't get their degrees but they did get two semesters of real education at a top university.

It's also kind of funny how as recently as 2010 the consensus was that Duke could no longer recruit one-and-done talent, that we had turned into a mid-major type team that relied on four-year players.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Yes, maybe we're being a little sensitive. Whenever I see a writer try to poke a finger in Duke's eye, in this case by somewhat inaccurately lobbing us together with KY as a "one and done factory," I start looking for other explanations for the skewed perspective. Maybe the author wants to convince a kid to come to school X instead, maybe he's playing to an audience (that is heavy in Duke-haters) or maybe HE, simply is a Duke hater. Internet searches are easy-enough done on authors. In this case, however, the antagonism is so minor, I mean, who really cares? (Small-time writer, small audience, etc.) Just chalk it up to inaaccurate reporting and move on - nothing to see here folks...

Well, he's a writer in Salt Lake City (Mormon country). He's writing with regard to Jabari Parker (Mormon basketball star) and his list of favorites. It doesn't take a huge leap to realize that either (a) the writer has sour grapes that Parker might choose somewhere other than the great local Mormon school BYU, or (b) is pandering to an audience who would hold such beliefs, or (c) both. I'd say one of those 3 choices is more likely than merely inaccurate reporting.

So, are we a one and done factory now that will be lumped in with Kentucky? It's interesting to read the opinions on the matter, and how they evolved with our recruiting the past 6 years.

So now we're a one-and-done factory in the same category as Kentucky? I'm disgusted by the comparison.
    I encourage you to cheer for NC State instead! Not only do you get used to seeing players stick around for longer, the losing seasons, frequent coaching changes and routine losses to Duke and Carolina really help build character and develop an appreciation for winning that not many Duke fans get to experience.