Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

DBR's Posts of the Month - May 2012

The DBR Bulletin Board mods are going to try something new. With the growth in traffic over the years, sometimes really great posts get lost just due to the numbers competing for readers' attentions. We want to find the diamonds in the rough, so to speak, and highlight them. Here's how we want to go about doing this.

First, the mods will create a new thread each month with the title "DBR's Best Posts of (Month)". It will be a closed thread, so only the mods will be able to add posts to it. The intent is NOT to create a thread with a bunch of different discussions. Instead, we want to use these threads to direct readers to exceptional posts in already existing threads. If you just want to read, the thread will have copies of the posts we've chosen to highlight. If you want to respond, we'll have links to the thread the post came from, and you are free to follow the link and post within the thread.

Second, throughout the course of the month, we'll add posts to the new thread that we want to highlight. Here's where we need your help, though. If this highlighting thing is going to work, we'll need the help of DBR readers to bring good posts to our attention. So, we ask you to use the "report post" feature (the little whistle icon you see at the bottom of each post) to bring good posts to our attention as well as the bad ones you've been doing so far. Reporting posts like this allows you to send a note to all of the mods explaining why you think a post should be brought to our attention. If we agree the post is highlight worthy, we'll add a link to it in the "Best Posts" thread. (By the way, we also encourage you to use the commenting feature to provide your own positive feedback directly to the poster.)

So, what kind of posts are we looking for? Posts that add thoughtful, meaningful content to a discussion. Posts that stand out from the rest because of the way the writer sums up a discussion and persuasively advocates his or her position. Posts that are really funny. Posts that brings real, on-topic news. Please, no posts that can't stand on their own or just include a link to an interesting article. And one other point - abuses of the system will draw warnings and citations. Posts that are added to the thread will be done at a mod's discretion. No whining if we don't agree with your recommendation.

We hope that this provides a way to show what the mods already know - that despite a lot of noise, there are still plenty of really great posts on these boards.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

The following posts in this thread are posts that the DBR mods believe represent some of the best these boards have to offer from the last couple of weeks.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Duke Recruits for the Class of 2013

At this time of year, Duke basketball news is largely about next year or the years after that. This post by tommy gives a rundown of the current potential Duke recruits from the class of 2013:

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Adding James Young to the list of potentials for 2013, the list, compiled from posts and tweets of others -- meaning it's likely incomplete -- looks like this:

PF's:
    Julius Randle, 6'9" 225 out of Texas. Superstar, plays on same AAU team with Matt Jones, which can't be a bad thing.
    Austin Nichols, 6'8" 200 out of Tennessee. Both sides appear very interested.
    Marcus Lee, 6'9" 220, California

SF's:
    Jabari Parker 6'8" 220, Chicago. Superstar.
    Andrew Wiggins 6'7" 200 out of Canada, possible to reclassify from 2014. Everyone wants him.
    Ish Wainwright 6'5" 220 out of Missouri. We're really pushing on him, and the positive vibes appear to be mutual.
    Semi Ojeleye 6'6" 220 out of Kansas
    Tyrone Outlaw, 6'6", 190, North Carolina
    James Young, 6'5", 200 out of Michigan. Blew up recently. Already stated he likes Michigan State, but Duke and Kentucky are his "dream schools." However, also says Kentucky is his leader at this point.

Centers:
    BeeJay Anya 6'8" 265 out of DeMatha. Haven't heard anything about him lately though. Are we actually recruiting him?

PG:
    Cat Barber 6'2" 165 out of Hampton
    Tyler Ennis 6'2" 180, Canada

SG:
    Allerik Freeman 6'3" 195, local kid from North Carolina. We're hot on his trail.
    tommy's post and further discussions about 2013 recruiting can be found in this thread.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-01-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    JBDuke

An optimistic take on Duke's 2012-13 prospects

A relatively newcomer to DBR, jcastanio, posted a very positive perspective on next year's Duke squad:

Quote Originally Posted by jcastranio View Post
    I, for one, am excited about the possibilities

Who would not be excited?

Assuming no Dawkins for the year ...

A starting lineup with two senior big men, both averaging double figures - one with a double-double.
    A big red-shirt freshman big man to come in and bang - no pressure on him.
    A 6'7" junior (Josh) with big game experience and two years under K. Much like Lance Thomas - Josh will be an important piece, regardless of minutes played.

A small forward (Alex) who will fill a big need for us. This is the key element for overall success. This position will be the difference between top ten and title contender - IMO.

Point Guard - two dramatically different players who will play relatively equal minutes in the long run - Cook and Tyler. They both bring different skill sets and mind sets - both are important. Their minutes in each game will probably depend on the opponent and the situation. Both will be stronger than last year just from the experience this year.

Shooting Guard - a senior and a freshman - both apparently very skilled. You could see both of them in the game at the same time depending on three guard lineups, etc.

This is a talented, skilled lineup. With nine - the rotation will be easier to play out. I loved Austin Rivers - but he did change the team concept for me at times. Next year will be a more cohesive team in terms of passing and shooting - they will have to be. This has got to be a team that K will love to coach. I think the defense returns next year.
    You can find an extensive discussion on next year's team, including jcastanio's post, in this thread.
    JBDuke

The biggest question for next year's squad?

Journalist and long-time DBR contributor jimsumner expressed what he thinks is the biggest question about Duke's squad next year:

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My biggest question for next season is how does Duke get Curry and Sulaimon on the floor at the same time. Duke certainly doesn't want to restrict them to a combined 40 mpg.

Seems there are three possibilities.

1. Curry plays point, Sulaimon plays the 2.

2.Sulaimon plays point, Curry plays the 2.

3.Duke plays both on the wings, along with one of Cook and Thornton. The proverbial three-guard lineup.

None of these are ideal. Curry and Sulaimon both appear to be better playing off the ball and the three-guard option has obvious concerns.

And there are other variables. Does Cook improve enough to stake a claim on the starting PG position? Does Dawkins play next season and share the 3 with Murphy? Does Duke sign Jefferson and if so, can he play the 3.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
    Jim's post can be found in the same thread as jcastanio's.
    JBDuke

Blue Devils Overseas

One of the distractions during this time of year is following former Blue Devils that are playing professionally. While the NBA Dukies get their due in other threads, awhom111 has done a wonderful job keeping us all up to speed on former Duke players - both men and women - playing in various international leagues. Here's the latest post summarizing games over last weekend:

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    On Friday, Nick Horvath faced the Wellington Saints and continued a string of strong performances after pulling away late for a 98-93 win. Nick had 13 points and 15 rebounds in 34 minutes. Marcel Jones had 23 points and 6 rebounds, Josh Pace had 21 points, 12 rebounds, and 10 assists, and their newest teammate, former Alaska-Anchorage player Jeremiah Trueman had 21 points and 7 rebounds. In the loss, ex-Northern Arizona player Casey Frank had 21 points and 7 rebounds, ex-Cal State Northridge player Jason Crowe had 15 points, 7 rebounds, and 10 assists, ex-DII player Arthur Trousdell had 12 points, and ex-DII player Ernest Scott had 11 points. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.basketball.org.nz/_r/uplo...-Box-Score.pdf

Shavlik Randolph and the Quebradillas Pirates faced the Humacao Chiefs and lost 83-74. Shavlik had 24 points and 13 rebounds in 32 minutes to lead the team as Peter John Ramos had 15 points and 10 rebounds and Joel Jones had 10 points. In the win, ex-DII player Noe Alonzo had 24 points and 8 rebounds, ex-Pitt player Gilbert Brown had 17 points and 6 rebounds, ex-McNeese State player Kleon Penn had 11 points and 9 rebounds, and ex-DII player Hector Valenzuela had 11 points and 7 rebounds. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.bsnpr.com/equipos/pogames...p?r=BS20121105

Bridgette Mitchell got the start as Energa Torun tried to clinch 3rd place for the second consecutive day in Game 4 against Lotos Gdynia. She got the team going with an early scoring burst but they let their opponents climb back into the game before regaining their lead in the 4th quarter to win 77-67. Bridgette had 17 points and 9 rebounds in 32 minutes. Julie Page had 20 points and 10 rebounds and Jazmine Sepulveda had 16 points and 7 rebounds. In the loss, ex-UNLV player Constance Jinks had 17 points, ex-Florida player Aneika Henry had 13 points and 6 rebounds, and ex-Wisconsin player Jolene Anderson had 13 points. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.plkk.pl/?p=games&id=3780

On Saturday, Nick Horvath and the Manawatu Jets were back in action against the Bay Hawks and lost 95-79. Nick had 16 points and 7 rebounds in 37 minutes. Josh Pace had 17 points and 6 rebounds, Jeremiah Trueman had 15 points and 6 rebounds, and Marcel Jones had 11 points and 6 rebounds. In the win, ex-Cincinnati player Kareem Johnson had 18 points and 10 rebounds and ex-Charlotte player Galen Young had 16 points. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.basketball.org.nz/_r/uplo...-Box-Score.pdf

In France, Carrem Gay and Toulouse finished off their regular season with a 73-65 loss to Tregor as they were already basically locked into the their position for the Final Four that will determine the league winner and which two teams get to play in the top division next season. Carrem had 8 points and 7 rebounds in 17 minutes before fouling out. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.ffbb.com/_livestats/1017/pdf/lsg2182.pdf

On Sunday, Marty Pocius, Kyle Singler, and Real Madrid faced Murcia and held on for a narrow 80-79. Both players got the start and Marty had 2 points in 17 minutes and Kyle had 7 points in 20 minutes. In the loss, ex-DII player David Barlow had 16 points and 9 rebounds, ex-Rutgers player Quincy Douby had 16 points, and ex-Portland State and NBA player Ime Udoka had 14 points. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB56281.php

Statistics are unavailable for Jess Foley and the Norwood Flames' game on Saturday against the South Adelaide Panthers, but they did beat the Eastern Mavericks 81-67 on Sunday. Jess had 15 points, 10 rebounds, and 8 assists in 36 minutes and Amy Lewis had 27 points.

The third-tier European competition had their Final Four over the weekend in Hungary. The first semifinal on Friday saw Turkey's Besiktas beat the hosts Szolnoki Olaj 64-60. In the win, ex-George Washington player Pops Mensah-Bonsu had 13 points and 13 rebounds, ex-Temple player David Hawkins had 13 points, and Carlos Arroyo had 10 points. The second semifinal saw Elan Chalon of France keep their hopes for four major trophies in one year alive after beating Triumph Lyubertsy of Russia 84-69. In the win, ex-Loyola (Illinois) player Blake Schilb had 29 points and ex-Georgia Tech player Alade Aminu had 14 points and 10 rebounds while ex-USC player Davon Jefferson had 26 points and 9 rebounds and ex-Northern Arizona player Kyle Landry had 14 points and 9 rebounds in the loss. The final two games took place on Sunday as Triumph Lyubertsy rallied late to beat out the hosts for 3rd place with a 94-87 win. Davon Jefferson had 37 points and 10 rebounds and Kyle Landry had 20 points and 9 rebounds in the win. In the loss, ex-Alabama A&M player Obie Trotter had 33 points, ex-Ball State player Julien Mills had 19 points and 12 rebounds, and ex-San Diego player Brandon Gay had 11 points. The championship went to Besiktas 91-86 as Chalon will have to content themselves with a decent chance at three domestic trophies. Pops Mensah-Bonsu had 26 points and 20 rebounds, Carlos Arroyo had 15 points and 8 assists, and David Hawkins had 13 points in the win. In the loss, Alade Aminu had 13 points and 8 rebounds, Blake Schilb had 12 points and 6 assists, ex-North Carolina State player Ilian Evtimov had 12 points and 8 rebounds, and ex-Virginia Tech player Malcolm Delaney had 11 points in the loss.

awhom111 has posted a couple of times a week since last July, so there's an enormous amount of information in this thread, of which the above is merely the most recent update.
    JBDuke

Off-Topic: Baseball park dimensions and their impact on historical stats

Off-topic posts are welcome in the highlights thread, too! This one is from Olympic Fan, a long-time and well-respected contributor in these parts. He summarizes some analysis done on the Babe's home run numbers and how they were impacted by the larger park dimensions of his era:

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    You bring up a point that is often overlooked in regard to home run production -- park dimensions. And what people don't realize is that on the whole (obviously there are exceptions), the playing area of big league parks has gotten smaller -- much smaller -- over the years. Even some of the older parks, such as Wrigley and Fenway, are smaller than when they opened (at least the fences are closer). The old Yankee Stadium was remodeled in the mid-1970s and they closed in that astondingly deep center (490) and left centerfield. Remember, until then, the monuments in center were in play.

Bill Jenkinson, a consultant for the Hall of Fame, was doing some research on the longest home runs ever hit when he noticed some amazing accounts of Babe Ruth's early career. He did some serious research, tracking verified news accouts of Ruthian blows that either hit the wall or were caught in places that would be deep in the stands today. He calculated that if Ruth had hit the same balls in 2007 that he hit in 1921, he would have hit 104 home runs (as opposed to the 59 he did hit).

Today, the average length of Major League parks is 330 to left, 375 to LC, 405 to center, 375 to RC and 330 to right. In 1921, it was 450 to left, 485 to RC and LC, and close to over 490 feet to dead center. Ruth played his home games that year in the Polo Grounds, which was actually very short right down the lines, but fell off rapidly to 400 feet in left and right, 440 in LC, 475 to RC and 460 to dead center. The distant reaches of the outfield were so deep that the bullpens were in the field of play in left and right center.

According to Jenkinson's calculations, if Ruth had played in modern parks, the blows he hit would have resulted in 66 HRs in 1919, 82 in 1920, 104 in 1921 ... and 91 in 1927. In all, instead of 714 HRs in his career, Ruth would have hit 1,158 home runs -- and that's just based on long blows that were well documented.

Of course, it's all just speculation, but it's a fascinating mind game.
    This post is in the current OTB thread on the 2012 Major League Baseball season. If you're a fan of the national pastime, here's a chance to read and post about your favorite team.
    JBDuke

A look back at the 2011-12 club's assists

Pfrduke has posted a fascinating analysis regarding the assist numbers from last year's squad:

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    We've talked a lot on this site about the passing performance (or lack thereof) from this year's Duke team. All told, it was one of the least assist-heavy squad's in K's tenure, with only 48.4% of all field goals coming off of the pass. This analysis breaks down the passing a little bit to see how our guys scored the ball last year. Pomeroy took a look at this with respect to the final four squads earlier, so that's an interesting point of comparison to these numbers.

Numbers are below, but here are some general thoughts:

• Austin almost never scored off the ball. Not a single two-point jump shot was assisted, and in total only 12 of his 116 shots inside the arc came off of the pass. I suspect (and will try to break this information down further) that a substantial portion of those 12 came off fast breaks, meaning that in the half court offense, he wasn't scoring inside the arc unless he could create it for himself. Even beyond the arc, he had by far the lowest percentage of assisted baskets, with over 60% of his 3s coming off the dribble. It's remarkable that he shot as well as he did (36.5%) given that he created more 3s for himself than were created for him.
    • Three pointers come off the pass. Ryan Kelly, Tyler Thornton, and Andre Dawkins combined for 134 3s. 128 of those were assisted. As a team, 78% of our 3s were assisted. Other than Austin Rivers, 7 out of every 8 3s came off of a pass. It's impossible to tell from play by play data which attempts are off the pass as opposed to self-created - the only way I can tell for makes is because assists are recorded - but odds are if you see a guy attempt a 3 off the dribble, he's not going to make it. Aside from Austin, we made 25 in 34 games.
    • Two point jump shots are essentially never assisted. This is especially notable if you exclude Miles and Hairston, for whom jump shots happened almost exclusively when they were found open on ball rotation (note that Miles's numbers are further skewed because everything that's not a dunk or layup is considered a jump shot, so his jumper numbers include shots from the paint off of post moves that weren't quite layups - if you're talking 12-15 footers, the assist numbers probably skew even higher). They combined for 20 assisted baskets on 31 jumpers - the rest of the team got 33 assisted baskets on 162 jumpers, about 1 in 5. And, as mentioned, Austin did all of these for himself, with not a single two point jumper off the pass. In a way, this makes sense - the offense should not be designed to result in two-point jump shots, because they're very low percentage (and thus low efficiency), so guys are more likely to take those shots when the offense breaks down and the only option is to create for himself.
    • Austin got into the paint so well. I know this is obvious by sight, but getting almost 3 layups/dunks a game, the vast majority of which were the result of his own penetration (almost always starting from beyond the 3-point line) is impressive for a guard. Curry was the next best perimeter player, and he had just 36.
    • Dawkins simply does not create for himself. Only 17 of his 92 field goals came off the bounce (and I suspect at least a few of those are fast break buckets). His 81.5% assisted on rate is the highest on the team.
    • The next step in this is to factor in the buckets off of offensive rebounds. The numbers for Mason, Miles, Ryan, and Josh are all skewed a little downward because they don't factor in put-back buckets. So all of the un-assisted baskets aren't really self-created in the sense that they got the ball in a half-court set and made something for themselves. Mason, in particular, needs improvement on this. He had just 48 unassisted baskets, a decent number of which must be put-backs. He needs to do better than one self-created hoop per game.

Here are the numbers:

Code:
    Layups/Dunks
    Two Point Jumpers
    Three Pointers
    Made
    Assisted
    Made
    Assisted
    Made
    Assisted
    Rivers
    14.29%
    0.00%
    39.66%
    20.11%
    Curry
    11.11%
    19.51%
    76.56%
    43.26%
    Mason
    57.14%
    22.58%
    49.65%
    Dawkins
    50.00%
    46.67%
    94.03%
    81.52%
    Kelly
    41.86%
    33.33%
    97.50%
    60.75%
    Miles
    50.75%
    54.55%
    51.69%
    Thornton
    0.00%
    50.00%
    96.30%
    71.79%
    Hairston
    68.18%
    88.89%
    74.19%
    Cook
    11.11%
    6.67%
    78.57%
    29.79%
    Gbinije
    28.57%
    75.00%
    45.45%
    48.40%
    38.33%
    27.46%
    78.10%
    As you might expect, there's an active discussion going on regarding the insight provided by this analysis. You can read and add your own thoughts in this thread.
    JBDuke

Taking on the Duke Haters

Especially with the recent commitment of Amile Jefferson, there has been a lot of griping by Duke haters that Duke big men don't do anything but set screens for the guards to shoot off of. Jim Sumner posts an excellent response to this nonsense:

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I've spent some time looking at some non-Duke websites to get some reactions to the Amile Jefferson signing.

There seems to be a strong consensus. Duke will squander Jefferson's talents by having him set screens for four seasons, or until he transfers. And Jefferson better brush up on his foreign-language skills, the better for that career in Belarus.

The name Lance Thomas is invoked with some frequency. This would be the Lance Thomas who averaged 14 points and six rebounds as a high-school senior but was recruited by Duke to provide quality defense. Which he did for four years, culminating in a starting spot on an NCAA title team.

But he has had to learn to speak New Orleansian. So, there's that.

Still, if Lance Thomas is one's definition of failure, I guess that's a burden we'll have to bear.

But let's expand the search a tad. Jefferson is listed at anywhere from 6-7 to 6-9. Let's split the difference and call him 6-8. That's not an Elton Brand 6-8, either. Jefferson is a mobile, combo-forward.

Is that historically a recipe for screen-setting at Duke? Let's look at the trend lines. Mobile, combo forwards, in the 6-8 range, top 40 in high school, did not transfer from Duke.

Here's what we have.

Mark Alarie. Four-year starter. Played the 5, the 4, the 3. Two-first-team All-ACC, second-team once. Earned A-A honors as a senior when he averaged 17.2 ppg, on a team that included Johnny Dawkins. First-round NBA pick, solid NBA career until injuries ended it. 2,136 points at Duke.

Grant Hill. Four year starter, first two largely at the 4, last two largely at the 3. Played some point in '92 when Hurley broke foot. Second-team All-ACC as soph, first-team as a junior and senior. ACC POY and first-team A-A in 1994. 1924 career points, 461 assists. Hall of Fame caliber NBA career.

Tony Lang. Role player as freshman, spot starter as soph, starter as junior and senior. Averaged 12.4 ppg as senior, when he made third-team All-ACC. Second-round NBA pick, played in NBA. 1,012 points at Duke.

Roshown McLeod. First two years at St. John's, last two at Duke. Averaged 11.9 and 15.3 ppg at Duke. First-team All-ACC in 1998, when he led a 32-4 team in scoring. First-round NBA draft pick, solid NBA career until injuries ended it.

Shane Battier. Third-team All-ACC as soph, first-team All-ACC as junior and senior. ACC co-player of the year and consensus national POY as a senior, when he averaged 19.9 ppg and led Duke to the 2001 NCAA title. 1,984 points and 239 assists at Duke. Lottery pick and 11-year (and counting) NBA career much lauded for its cerebral, team-oriented qualities.

Mike Dunleavy. Sixth man as freshman, starting 3 as soph, starting 4 as junior. Averaged 17.3 ppg as junior, making first-team All-ACC. Third pick in 2002 NBA draft. Still averaging in double figures in NBA. 1371 points at Duke in three seasons.

Luol Deng. Averaged 15.1 ppg in only year at Duke. Second-team All-ACC and runner-up to Chris Paul for ACC ROY. NCAA Regional MOP. Lottery pick, made All-Star game this season.

Kyle Singler-four-year starter. ACC ROY in 2008. 2010 FF MOP. First-team All-ACC twice, second-team once, third team once. 2392 points. Second-round draft pick. Played in Europe last season, should be in NBA next season.

So, that's an example of how Jefferson's cohorts have been used at Duke. Thomas is the only one never to make All-ACC and the only one to not have at least one season at at least 12 ppg. Singler is the only one to never play in the NBA and that should change.

And all but McLeod played in the Final Four and he ended his career in the Elite Eight.

Think Jefferson was made aware of that history? Darn-tooting.

It's one thing to have an opinion. It's something else to have an opinion so easily refuted with readily-available facts.

Screen-setting indeed.

If you want to read more or participate in the discussion on Jim's excellent post, you can find it at the top of this thread.
    JBDuke