Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And the memorable John Gilchrist, who left after his sophomore year in 2004 for the riches of the NBA and vanished without a trace.

sage
    Sometimes when people bring up these old names, I get curious and look up where they are. Gilchrist started the season in Slovakia (obscure, but not totally out there) and is currently playing in Kosovo (about as far out there as you can get in the sports world considering how long it's been a country).

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by capitolhill View Post
    What, exactly, was unsavory about Steve Francis? The guy was a three-time all star in the NBA and had a pretty good overall career. Sure, he complained publicly about going to Vancouver, but overall he was a pretty good guy.

Baxter had a dumb incident few years after college, but as a recruit and college athlete he was just a hard-working kid. I'd hardly call him an unsavory character. Hell - Duke recruited Sheldon Williams. Remember him?
    Sheldon Williams? Never heard of him. Now if you are referring to Shelden Williams, he was one of the Duke greats. All charges were dropped in the supposed incident you are referring to, and were there anything to it, that would not have happened. Shelden has represented Duke well since Day 1 of becoming a Blue Devil. Wrong choice if you are looking for problem child's.

And FWIW, I had no issues with Francis. Good player. Hot Tempered at times, but that isn't a big deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by newton_14 View Post
    sheldon williams? Never heard of him. Now if you are referring to shelden williams, he was one of the duke greats. All charges were dropped in the supposed incident you are referring to, and were there anything to it, that would not have happened. Shelden has represented duke well since day 1 of becoming a blue devil. Wrong choice if you are looking for problem child's.

and fwiw, i had no issues with francis. Good player. Hot tempered at times, but that isn't a big deal to me.

rati!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Sheldon Williams? Never heard of him. Now if you are referring to Shelden Williams, he was one of the Duke greats. All charges were dropped in the supposed incident you are referring to, and were there anything to it, that would not have happened. Shelden has represented Duke well since Day 1 of becoming a Blue Devil. Wrong choice if you are looking for problem child's.

And FWIW, I had no issues with Francis. Good player. Hot Tempered at times, but that isn't a big deal to me.
    As usual I agree with my Creedmoore friend here. No problems with Stevie Francis. I remember reading about him losing his mother at an critical point in his life (teens, I believe) and I wrote him a letter of encouragement having gone through the same thing. I never heard back from him so I am not sure he got the letter or not, but that type of thing can have an profound impact on a kids personality, so I always cut him some slack. Plus he was a heck of a player.

Shelden was an ambassador while at Duke, not sure about the reference there... anyone can accuse anyone for just about anything, seems we of all fans should remember that from the lacrosse farce.