Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Hard for him to do much against KG.
    Yeah, there are very few teams that can consider Garnett a good matchup. That guy can play some defense. And when he's healthy, he can play some offense too. Terrific basketball player. A jerk and a punk, but a terrific basketball player.

Will the Clippers win a game against the Spurs? Personally I think they win one...but just one.

Looking at the box score from the Pacers game vs. the Heat I noticed an interesting stat. Shane's plus/minus in the loss was +10. LameBron and DWade were both at -7. Of course all SportCenter will talk about is that they went for 28 and 24 points (Shane only had 5).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Looking at the box score from the Pacers game vs. the Heat I noticed an interesting stat. Shane's plus/minus in the loss was +10. LameBron and DWade were both at -7. Of course all SportCenter will talk about is that they went for 28 and 24 points (Shane only had 5).
    No, all that will be talked about is LeBron's final minute in which he missed two FTs and deferred to Chalmers in their last possession.

This is another example of +/- not really telling the story. Battier's fantastic +/- was in large part a function of replacing Haslem at PF in the lineup. Haslem had an awful +/- of -12. James had 28 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 steals, and only 2 turnovers. He was perhaps the only reason Miami was in the game, as Wade was somewhat ineffective and nobody else could score. So James is rightfully the story here. He carried the team up until the final minute, and then missed two key free throws and chose to pass to Wade and Chalmers (who each missed good scoring chances that would have tied it).

This series might just be interesting. Without Bosh, the Heat have no one other than Haslem to play the pick and roll game with James and Wade. That makes a big difference for them offensively, because Indiana can stay at home and focus on the driver and the other shooters and ignore the screener. It's quietly one of the more valuable things that Bosh did: screen and hit the 15-18 footer; screen and roll to the rim. That's nonexistent with Joel Anthony. And if Haslem is as ineffective as he was in Game 2, it may be gone entirely until Bosh comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    No, all that will be talked about is LeBron's final minute in which he missed two FTs and deferred to Chalmers in their last possession.
    That was hilarious. The Heat just cannot execute in the final minute of a close game. Lebron gets fidgety and everyone else seems to rush to help him. Spoelstra does not have a handle on this team. Were they out of timeouts or something?

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/0...s=iref:nbahpt1

I thought this was an unusually well thought out post from the NBA Hangtimeblog. Lots of interesting stats.

Can anyone explain the rationale for the scheduling of the Western Conference semifinals? Both series have back-to-backs for games 3 and 4 (Fri/Sat for LAL-OKC, and Sat/Sun for SAS-LAC), but then have extra days off elsewhere in the series - for the LAL-OKC series, there will be 3 full days off between game 6 and game 7 (if necessary). Why not just spread everything out so that there is the normal one day off between each game (and, if necessary, an extra day on one of the travel periods - the east mostly gets this right, although the extra day in the MIA-IND series is between games 3 and 4)? Is this a building access issue because the Lakers, Clippers, and Kings are all still alive in the postseason, and all have home series this weekend?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Can anyone explain the rationale for the scheduling of the Western Conference semifinals? Both series have back-to-backs for games 3 and 4 (Fri/Sat for LAL-OKC, and Sat/Sun for SAS-LAC), but then have extra days off elsewhere in the series - for the LAL-OKC series, there will be 3 full days off between game 6 and game 7 (if necessary). Why not just spread everything out so that there is the normal one day off between each game (and, if necessary, an extra day on one of the travel periods - the east mostly gets this right, although the extra day in the MIA-IND series is between games 3 and 4)? Is this a building access issue because the Lakers, Clippers, and Kings are all still alive in the postseason, and all have home series this weekend?
    Generally speaking, you can expect 1 day between games, or 2 for travel. I think you hit the nail on the head with the LA problem -- you have teams that use the same building...

You can't have two games on a Friday because you can't start the games before 6-7pm because its a weekday -- so there is not enough time to get the Stadium changed over between matches unless you want to start a game at midnight.

Thursday Kings play at night.
    Friday Lakers play at night.
    Saturday, both teams play -- Clips get a Noon start, Lakers play at night.
    Sunday the Kings play at Noon, Clips play at night.

http://staplescenter.com/events

Another problem is balancing all the first round series. The NBA has to get 8 total series on TV and wants to limit competing times...obviously its impossible in the first round, but in the second round I believe there are NO overlapping games timewise -- the NBA doesn't want to split its own audience where possible for enhanced revenue and ad-ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Generally speaking, you can expect 1 day between games, or 2 for travel. I think you hit the nail on the head with the LA problem -- you have teams that use the same building...

You can't have two games on a Friday because you can't start the games before 6-7pm because its a weekday -- so there is not enough time to get the Stadium changed over between matches unless you want to start a game at midnight.

Thursday Kings play at night.
    Friday Lakers play at night.
    Saturday, both teams play -- Clips get a Noon start, Lakers play at night.
    Sunday the Kings play at Noon, Clips play at night.

http://staplescenter.com/events

Another problem is balancing all the first round series. The NBA has to get 8 total series on TV and wants to limit competing times...obviously its impossible in the first round, but in the second round I believe there are NO overlapping games timewise -- the NBA doesn't want to split its own audience where possible for enhanced revenue and ad-ratings.
    That all makes sense, but you solve the Staples problem just as well by having the Lakers play Fri/Sun and the Clippers play Sat/Mon. I actually can't remember the last time that a playoff series had a back-to-back - definitely hasn't happened in the last couple years.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I'm a LeBron guy. I always have been, since I saw him play in high school. And I've always thought he'd accomplish great things.

But for him to start in with the excuses about having to play power forward with no Bosh... it really is reasonable to wonder if mentally he has it in him to be truly great. I do believe he'll win championships -- this team is great, and he's the best player in the game -- but it's a heck of a lot harder during the playoffs than it is during the regular season. The best players always turned it up a notch -- Dirk, Wade, Magic (even as a rookie, when he played center), Duncan, even Nash in a losing effort. As a basketball fan and a longtime follower of LeBron's career, I want to see that he has it in him to do that as well, that he's grown from his obvious yet understandable inadequacies in this area when he was shouldering the load of an entire city in Cleveland, while trying to live up to the outgrown expectations of a bloodthirsty media and national fan base. Even when the numbers are there, you wonder if the man behind them truly is.

I know it's just one loss. I know the Heat will almost certainly win the series. (And by the way, I'm far from a Heat fan. It's just that even for the most bitter Knicks fan, I find it harder and harder to root against teams as I get older. It seems like an awful waste of attention and an unnecessary source of aggravation. Though don't get me wrong, I have no love lost for UNC basketball.)

And yet that doubt is there. LeBron really needs to get over the hump this year. Because the summers will keep getting longer and longer if he doesn't.

Meanwhile, back in Philly... C's blew out the Sixers. Elton again a non-factor.
    He can't do anything against KG.

wow...tight game with the thunder taking it....

kobe looked irritated when a wide open steve "farmer" blake took the last shot...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

kobe looked irritated when a wide open steve "farmer" blake took the last shot...
    Interesting sportscenter stat: Kobe has not hit a shot to tie the game or go ahead at the end of a playoff game since 2006. His teammates were 4/7 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I'm a LeBron guy. I always have been, since I saw him play in high school. And I've always thought he'd accomplish great things.

But for him to start in with the excuses about having to play power forward with no Bosh... it really is reasonable to wonder if mentally he has it in him to be truly great. I do believe he'll win championships -- this team is great, and he's the best player in the game -- but it's a heck of a lot harder during the playoffs than it is during the regular season. The best players always turned it up a notch -- Dirk, Wade, Magic (even as a rookie, when he played center), Duncan, even Nash in a losing effort. As a basketball fan and a longtime follower of LeBron's career, I want to see that he has it in him to do that as well, that he's grown from his obvious yet understandable inadequacies in this area when he was shouldering the load of an entire city in Cleveland, while trying to live up to the outgrown expectations of a bloodthirsty media and national fan base. Even when the numbers are there, you wonder if the man behind them truly is.

I know it's just one loss. I know the Heat will almost certainly win the series. (And by the way, I'm far from a Heat fan. It's just that even for the most bitter Knicks fan, I find it harder and harder to root against teams as I get older. It seems like an awful waste of attention and an unnecessary source of aggravation. Though don't get me wrong, I have no love lost for UNC basketball.)

And yet that doubt is there. LeBron really needs to get over the hump this year. Because the summers will keep getting longer and longer if he doesn't.
    It would be interesting if Lebron's most notorious playoff performance was the 48 points he put up against Detroit in 2007. After that night, I'm sure everyone thought he'd blow the NBA record books wide open. Not so much. The game does not slow down for him the last few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

I'm no Blake supporter (spear the turtle) but Artest made the right pass to the right guy at that time. He missed the shot. I know Kobe was irritated but if I had to guess he was mad about losing and about him making mistakes that cost them down the stretch as much as he was irritated the he didn't get that last shot. Once the game got into crunch time, the Lakers abandoned the inside game (the offense that got them the lead) and just kept handing the ball to Kobe. That didn't go too well last night. They really needed better ball movement and needed to be looking for the best shot (like that last possession where Blake missed a wide open shot).

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    It would be interesting if Lebron's most notorious playoff performance was the 48 points he put up against Detroit in 2007. After that night, I'm sure everyone thought he'd blow the NBA record books wide open. Not so much. The game does not slow down for him the last few minutes.
    I don't buy this. The issue is perception...enough people have repeated the "not clutch" mantra of Haters with no regards to actual stats. Now you have every other question to Lebron out of a reporters mouth about "clutchness" and "closing games" when he has been one of the best in the NBA at this...but it is becoming a problem because of the media fishbowl.

Take a browse through the "clutch" stats at 82games.com...the last few years in Cleveland he was arguably the best finisher in game. A lot of that is team chemistry and knowing your role. His first year in Miami there were definite chemistry issues as LeBron and Wade and Bosh tried to figure out their roles. But even then LeBron was the fourth best player in the league in terms of clutch production points. and shot a higher percentage than Kobe or Derrick Rose.

I think part of the problem is LeBron's uniqueness...he has a PF body, a SF game, and a PG vision. If Miami wants James to be aggressive and hammer it in low they can't also expect him to play PG and get everyone open -- which is what he has been trying to do for Miami. It is too exhausting and roles cause conflicts because to get guys open he has to play on the perimeter with the ball rather than doing off-the-ball cutting, screening and establishing position down low.

Ultimately though it is a team game. Wade and James were exhausted at the end of the game 2 and James played every minute of the second half. The other guys have got to step up, and the Heat better hope Bosh can get back and play well because they can't win with just two guys. Chalmers and Battier had FIVE points each to tie for third leading scorer in the last game.

Superdave, I think LeBron will have more of those games in him. In the Conference Semis last year James had two games at 35 points...in the Conference Finals he has 35pts in an OT win over Chicago. In the NBA Finals Wade asserted his game and was the man, so LeBron played a passive and deferring role...but Wade is clearly on the decline in his career and you will see James assume more and more responsibility and play more like he played in Cleveland.
    Last edited by theAlaskanBear; 05-17-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    I don't buy this. The issue is perception...enough people have repeated the "not clutch" mantra of Haters with no regards to actual stats. Now you have every other question to Lebron out of a reporters mouth about "clutchness" and "closing games" when he has been one of the best in the NBA at this...but it is becoming a problem because of the media fishbowl.
    Labron is so good that when he doesn't close it's a bit of a shock. When the media gets something that's a bit of a shock, they ride it for all it's worth because people pay attention. I think that drawing a double or triple team and hitting an open man is as important for a "closer" as making a forced shot with 4 hands in your face.

And I'm no Labron apologist, I pretty much always want him to lose (perhaps because he's so good).

Labron is so good that when he doesn't close it's a bit of a shock. When the media gets something that's a bit of a shock, they ride it for all it's worth because people pay attention. I think that drawing a double or triple team and hitting an open man is as important for a "closer" as making a forced shot with 4 hands in your face.

And I'm no Labron apologist, I pretty much always want him to lose (perhaps because he's so good).
    Yeah, absolutely dead-on, though you do want to see someone with his talent take the bull by the horns a bit. Jordan notably passed off a few times at the end of games -- and his teammates got the job done in those high-profile spots -- but he always wanted the ball and if he wanted a basket, you were going to have a tough time stopping him. And I'd offer that it's really not about statistics. Even I have to admit LeBron folded like a house of cards in his last playoff series with Cleveland. You want that mentality. He's been through the public wringer, brought on by himself in a lot of ways, but still -- he should want to get the monkey and everyone else off his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Yeah, absolutely dead-on, though you do want to see someone with his talent take the bull by the horns a bit. Jordan notably passed off a few times at the end of games -- and his teammates got the job done in those high-profile spots -- but he always wanted the ball and if he wanted a basket, you were going to have a tough time stopping him. And I'd offer that it's really not about statistics. Even I have to admit LeBron folded like a house of cards in his last playoff series with Cleveland. You want that mentality. He's been through the public wringer, brought on by himself in a lot of ways, but still -- he should want to get the monkey and everyone else off his back.
    Yeah, his playoff series in Cleveland, his claim the Heat would win 8 titles, and last year's collapse against Dallas all add up to "What's wrong with Lebron?"

He's a really good player with two Finals appearances and 3 league MVPs, but none of that will mean much if he does not rack up some titles. He's capable, we all know that. That's why he's held to a higher standard than someone like Karl Malone or Vince Carter. But he's also claimed he's going to win those titles, so he deserves the scrutiny.

I'd love to see him (or most anybody) win a bunch of titles and dethrone Jordan (Unc jackI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.) so at one point I rooted for Lebron to win a bunch. It seems like I'll have to move on to cheering for KD to be that guy now.