Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Since Elton's on the sixers, that gives them the edge, ex Duke player wise. Hard to say how the series
    will turn out; both teams have been kind of up and down. I think the C's played about as well as they
    could against the Hawks and still barely got by. The sixers took the first two meetings, but the C's won
    the one down the stretch and played better later. I say Celtics in 7, since they have home court, but with
    old players out there, injuries could stop them at any time.
    Interesting, I don't see it that hard. I'm happy for coach Collins that he was able to win a series with the Sixers. It's funny that you mention that point out the C's barely got by the Hawks because what I saw was a Sixers team that squeaked by a Bulls team that was missing 2 starters. I think the C's are the easy choice here.

Note I'm not a Celtics fan, I just wasn't all that impressed with the Sixers (and they squeaked into the playoffs in the 8 spot).

Speaking of not impressed, holy crap were the Lakers just awful last night. Bynum and Gasol just looked to be going through the motions and Kobe was taking too many long jump shots (and the Nuggets played really really well).

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Totally with you. I thought Watson made a number of poor plays throughout the fourth quarter, not just at the end, and at times when they really could have pulled away.
    I thought he had a few really nice plays toward the end (the driving dish to Gibson where Gibson got fouled) and the assist to Asik on the pick and roll from WAY up top. But the rest of the quarter he was nonexistent (except for missing shots). And then he had the inexplicably dump decision on that breakaway.

He should have played keep-away from everyone, just dribbling as far away from the defense as possible, running more time off and eventually getting fouled (as the team's best on-court FT shooter). It'd have taken another second or two for anyone to catch him, and then he'd have at least hit one of two. And the Bulls would likely have been in better position to defend (if he hit the second). Just a horrible, horrible decision. It's amazing how one single decision can so dramatically swing the tide of the game that late.

The tough part is that I really think this team had a chance to win it all if not for the injuries. Their bench was much better this year than last year, they vastly improved at SG, Boozer was healthier, and Deng, Noah, and Rose had a year's more experience with Thibadeau. Now, I worry that the door is going to close. Next year is a question mark with Rose's injury. And an ACL tear for a player as reliant on quickness and explosiveness is a reason for concern long-term. They're so heavily invested in two guys (Boozer and Rose) whose injury history becomes a long-term concern. I suspect Boozer will eventually be amnestied after next year, and the Bulls will then try to reload with another star. But what was potentially a Finals contender for this year and the next couple of years now is very much in doubt.

Free throws played such a huge roll in the last minute of both deciding games last night.

-Obviously, Asik missed his but, just as importantly, Iggy, a sub-70% free throw shooter, made both the tying and go ahead foul shots with only seconds remaining.

-In the Celtics v Hawks game, Ray Allen shockingly missed the first of two shots (made the second) allowing Al Horford to step to the line with a chance to tie...but he missed the front end...and then Pierce hit 2 to make the margin 4.

Chicago and Atlanta both could have won those games and looked like they would win them with one minute left in each. Crazy.

I am psyched for Sixers/Celtics partially because it was such a torrid rivalry in my youth. I mean, Dr. J and Bird had a fist fight midcourt!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Interesting, I don't see it that hard. I'm happy for coach Collins that he was able to win a series with the Sixers. It's funny that you mention that point out the C's barely got by the Hawks because what I saw was a Sixers team that squeaked by a Bulls team that was missing 2 starters. I think the C's are the easy choice here.

Note I'm not a Celtics fan, I just wasn't all that impressed with the Sixers (and they squeaked into the playoffs in the 8 spot).

Speaking of not impressed, holy crap were the Lakers just awful last night. Bynum and Gasol just looked to be going through the motions and Kobe was taking too many long jump shots (and the Nuggets played really really well).
    If they are going in at a good % then Kobe can't take to many jump shots. He shot well last night and Bynum I thought was trying his best but it just wouldn't go down for him. He did get 16 boards though.

Only one game tonight, Grizz at Clips.

CP3 and Blake are starting but are injured.

I think that the Grizz will win this game...and Game 7.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I thought he had a few really nice plays toward the end (the driving dish to Gibson where Gibson got fouled) and the assist to Asik on the pick and roll from WAY up top. But the rest of the quarter he was nonexistent (except for missing shots). And then he had the inexplicably dump decision on that breakaway.

He should have played keep-away from everyone, just dribbling as far away from the defense as possible, running more time off and eventually getting fouled (as the team's best on-court FT shooter). It'd have taken another second or two for anyone to catch him, and then he'd have at least hit one of two. And the Bulls would likely have been in better position to defend (if he hit the second). Just a horrible, horrible decision. It's amazing how one single decision can so dramatically swing the tide of the game that late.

The tough part is that I really think this team had a chance to win it all if not for the injuries. Their bench was much better this year than last year, they vastly improved at SG, Boozer was healthier, and Deng, Noah, and Rose had a year's more experience with Thibadeau. Now, I worry that the door is going to close. Next year is a question mark with Rose's injury. And an ACL tear for a player as reliant on quickness and explosiveness is a reason for concern long-term. They're so heavily invested in two guys (Boozer and Rose) whose injury history becomes a long-term concern. I suspect Boozer will eventually be amnestied after next year, and the Bulls will then try to reload with another star. But what was potentially a Finals contender for this year and the next couple of years now is very much in doubt.
    Tibs certainly did not distinguish himself with his coaching in that 4th quarter. From keeping dead-tired players in, to using his time-outs poorly, to not subbing in offense for defense...he hurt the Bull's chances of winning considerably. Despite not having Rose and Noah, the Bulls should have won this game (and this series). The 76ers are, quite frankly, not a good team. They have a few good players (Holliday and Iggy), but they have zero chemistry. The level of frustration that Coach Collins showed on the court with the selfish and dumb play of his team on offense said it all. Hopefully Tibs learns from his coaching errors. Coaches need to step up in the playoffs as well...not just the players.
    Windy City Devil

Stern gave a great interview with a reporter for ESPN in the stands of the Indiana/Heat game.

The question from the reporter was something like, "given all the injuries this season blah blah the condensed schedule, blah blah blah"

Stern's response was, "Normally we have 5 ACL injuries a season, we had two until the playoffs, and then 2 very public injuries. You guys at ESPN have all the data, all the numbers, why dont you do the homework and come back and tell me if it has anything to with condensed season (before you ask inaccurate, stupid questions was the implication)."

I like Stern, he is the commish I would most love to pick his brains about Sports and running a league.

Battier had a great game defensive on Danny Granger, despite not doing much for the offense.

Also, I have an extremely negative, visceral reaction anytime I see Hansbrough playing football, erm, I mean basketball.

I like Stern too, though I thought the lockout was handled in a very hamfisted fashion. Which is probably why he's so prickly about questions about the injuries that may or may not have come as a result of the shortened schedule. (Though, I mean, come on, we all know the injuries come from wearing Adidas sneakers.)

Bosh is out indefinitely with an abdominal strain.

Apparently this type of injury can be tricky. Al Jefferson didn't miss a game...however Kevin Garnett missed 3 weeks. Right now most are assuming that he'll be out for the rest of this series at least, which means that Lebron is going to play the 4 more. Battier/Miller/Anthony/Turiaf/Haslem will have to step up because the Pacers will probably trap Bron and Wade as much as possible in order to get the ball out of their hands. I still think the Heat will win in 5, but if they play the Celtics without Bosh it could be a major major problem...

I was looking forward to the Memphis-LAC game 7 basketball game. Unfortunately it was more of a football game. The refs lost control of this game from the start and it was ugly the whole way. Looked like and NCAA tournament game (and that's not a good thing). Hope it's not a trend because I prefer hoops over wrestling and MMA.

Congrats to the Clippers for fighting their way to a series win. And I do mean fighting!

the celtics are the whiniest, dirtiest team in the league....they get calls like they were paid for...

way to go 76er's ....love seeing the celts lose...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    the celtics are the whiniest, dirtiest team in the league....they get calls like they were paid for...

Pretty ugly game. Down the stretch, Philly got it done, Boston didn't. Elton didn't do all that much.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

They did not get the call that mattered tonight though. The KG pick with 12 seconds to go was iffy. Ball game right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    They did not get the call that mattered tonight though. The KG pick with 12 seconds to go was iffy. Ball game right there.
    i most humbly disagree....that call FINALLY happened.....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

i most humbly disagree....that call FINALLY happened.....
    I'm not a big fan of refs allowing blatant cheating at the end of a game (see Boozer + Indiana). I like KG but on the play in question they called the second foul because KG hit the first guy with an extended forearm (not blatant, wasn't called and that's OK) and then set a moving pick (with extension of his arms) on the second guy. That's a foul, call it, it's an easy call. I hate the argument that refs should let the players decide, by committing that foul, KG decided that part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of refs allowing blatant cheating at the end of a game (see Boozer + Indiana). I like KG but on the play in question they called the second foul because KG hit the first guy with an extended forearm (not blatant, wasn't called and that's OK) and then set a moving pick (with extension of his arms) on the second guy. That's a foul, call it, it's an easy call. I hate the argument that refs should let the players decide, by committing that foul, KG decided that part of the game.
    And, to add to this, KG's illegal screen sprang Pierce for a wide open look at the game tying 3. It's not as if this play happened on the weak side, it was right in front of the inbounder and the referee watching that aspect of the play unfold. Chris Webber made a great comment immediately after the play that Doug Collins had been in the refs ear for two games about KG's sketchy screens so the ref was waiting for it. In the postgame interview, Iggy said the same thing, and that he knew to get the call he would have to really fight through the screen to show that he was getting illegally chipped. Bottom line, the 76ers from staff to players were primed to make KG look like the dirty chippy player that he is (my highly biased opinion). KG is a hall of famer, I take nothing away from his career, but, like other HOFers such as John Stockton, he is also dirty and chippy.

I think the Celtics are a bad match-up for Elton. He has played little and I don't expect we'll see a lot of him this series.

Yeah, it was interesting that the Sixers went down the stretch with this lineup: Jrue, Lou Williams, Evan Turner, Iggy, and Lavoy Allen (!!) at center, whose sideways 16-ft bank shot heave as the shot clock went off possibly kept the Sixers from coughing up the game... Sweet Lou drives me nuts - his shot selection is not only atrocious but predictable. I think I can tell when he brings the ball across half court whether or not he's going to jack one no matter how many guys are on him. On the other hand, he attacks the basket and he's their most consistent shooter when they're moving the ball around. Looks like we're going to get a classic matchup of Old and Savvy vs. Young and Stupid. The biggest surprise to me is that Thaddeus Young didn't get much time; he must be either banged up or in Coach Collins' doghouse.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Yeah, it was interesting that the Sixers went down the stretch with this lineup: Jrue, Lou Williams, Evan Turner, Iggy, and Lavoy Allen (!!) at center, whose sideways 16-ft bank shot heave as the shot clock went off possibly kept the Sixers from coughing up the game... Sweet Lou drives me nuts - his shot selection is not only atrocious but predictable. I think I can tell when he brings the ball across half court whether or not he's going to jack one no matter how many guys are on him. On the other hand, he attacks the basket and he's their most consistent shooter when they're moving the ball around. Looks like we're going to get a classic matchup of Old and Savvy vs. Young and Stupid. The biggest surprise to me is that Thaddeus Young didn't get much time; he must be either banged up or in Coach Collins' doghouse.
    Lou Williams has a lot of JR Smith in him which, as you say, is both a good and bad thing, but mostly good. I love your description of the series - classic.

I think the Celtics are a bad match-up for Elton. He has played little and I don't expect we'll see a lot of him this series.
    Hard for him to do much against KG.