Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Anyone catch Bosh's videobomb of LeBron?

Tonight we have

Celtics @ Hawks
    Nuggets @ Lakers
    Sixers @ Bulls

Will any of the home teams lose tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Carmelo definitely had a better personal experience than Game 1. He's one of the best scorers in the game; he's on, he's going to get buckets and look good doing it. But the Heat tightened up on him big time down the stretch. He shot 3-for-8 in the second half and didn't connect on a shot for like 20 straight minutes of game time. That said, he wasn't getting much help.

Agreed on the Knicks' defense. Two things are killing them: Shumpert's knee injury took away their only credible defender on Wade, and Chandler hasn't been himself playing with the flu. The Knicks were actually a pretty good defensive team most of the season, even before D'Antoni left. Of course, I'm not making excuses -- the Heat can make a lot of teams look bad, and I thought the Knicks would win a game at most before the series began.
    Before the series I actually thought that the Knicks could push the Heat to 7 games, but I obviously don't think that now. There's an article on ESPN stating that the Knicks actually play worse when Amare is on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    Tonight we have

Celtics @ Hawks
    Nuggets @ Lakers
    Sixers @ Bulls

If Rondo and Allen were playing, I'd say the Hawks might lose. With Rondo now out and Allen not likely to play (and not likely to play well if he does play), I'd say the Hawks go up 2-0. I don't see the Lakers or Bulls (even without Rose) losing, either. So I say no. The most likely squad to take the "L" would be Chicago, but I think that team is still better than the Sixers, even without Rose.

Before the series I actually thought that the Knicks could push the Heat to 7 games, but I obviously don't think that now. There's an article on ESPN stating that the Knicks actually play worse when Amare is on the floor.
    Yeah, this is largely a function of his defense and rebounding. He is a way better scorer than Chandler, but I wouldnt trust Amare to gaurd anyone, although he did have a block against Bosh.

About the Heat: Battier has stepped up big time and is starting to heat up from three. Also, you couldnt PAY me to take a charge on LeBron James.

Celtics @ Hawks
    Nuggets @ Lakers
    Sixers @ Bulls

Both the Celtics and the Sixers I would give a 50% chance of winning, the Nuggets just 20%. Boston came out without effort in the first game, expect them to play really tough against the Hawks tonight. I still think the Bulls pull out the win...but the Sixers are playing playing well and you never know. The Nuggets should lose, they don't have the size to play against LA. Unless they can figure out a way to speed LA up they have no hope.

My feeling actually is that Battier is exactly what the Heat needed: a veteran presence who can take some of the dirty work so that LeBron doesn't have to do it all the time. He was instrumental in Spoelstra's game plan to completely obliterate Carmelo Anthony yesterday. If they play the Thunder or Lakers in the Finals, Shane will be instrumental in messing with their stars, and they could have used him against Nowitzki last year. I think Miami was the perfect landing spot for Shane to seamlessly blend in with championship level players, and they were the perfect team to benefit from the subtle brilliance he offers. It's no coincidence that one of the best defensive teams last year, a slight notch below Chicago, got even better this season.
    Last night, the Heat started with James on Carmelo and he was locking him up pretty good. Then, Shane came in to guard Carmelo and Melo completely destroyed him for the rest of the first quarter. I think he had 12 of his 14 in Q1 with Shane guarding him, including an array of pull-ups, drives - the full repertoire. At this point, Shane can't guard him one-on-one. Shane was promptly sent to the bench. However, he played him much better in the second half, and he got a lot more support from his teammates. The fact that he knocked down three 3s helped his mojo. If the Heat are going to win it, I want Shane to play a meaningful role. The pundits are all saying that he isn't nearly the same player he was a few years ago, and the first quarter made those words seem true. But, the staff seems to play him in crunch time and he executes the game plan flawlessly, which counts for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Last night, the Heat started with James on Carmelo and he was locking him up pretty good. Then, Shane came in to guard Carmelo and Melo completely destroyed him for the rest of the first quarter. I think he had 12 of his 14 in Q1 with Shane guarding him, including an array of pull-ups, drives - the full repertoire. At this point, Shane can't guard him one-on-one. Shane was promptly sent to the bench. However, he played him much better in the second half, and he got a lot more support from his teammates. The fact that he knocked down three 3s helped his mojo. If the Heat are going to win it, I want Shane to play a meaningful role. The pundits are all saying that he isn't nearly the same player he was a few years ago, and the first quarter made those words seem true. But, the staff seems to play him in crunch time and he executes the game plan flawlessly, which counts for something.
    Gotta give credit to Woodson, in the first game Battier, James and the Heat did a terrific job with ball denial (see those 27 steals?) and stymied Melo by making it really difficult for him to get the ball. This second game Woodson got the ball to Melo early and let Melo do the offense -- in 1v1 situations Melo will burn Shane almost every time -- which he did.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Gotta give credit to Woodson, in the first game Battier, James and the Heat did a terrific job with ball denial (see those 27 steals?) and stymied Melo by making it really difficult for him to get the ball. This second game Woodson got the ball to Melo early and let Melo do the offense -- in 1v1 situations Melo will burn Shane almost every time -- which he did.
    On the money. Like that NY Times article put it, Shane relies on scouting his opponents to force them into lower-percentage shots where they're less likely to succeed. If a player like Anthony gets the ball in a certain situation, he'll score on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Both the Celtics and the Sixers I would give a 50% chance of winning, the Nuggets just 20%. Boston came out without effort in the first game, expect them to play really tough against the Hawks tonight. I still think the Bulls pull out the win...but the Sixers are playing playing well and you never know. The Nuggets should lose, they don't have the size to play against LA. Unless they can figure out a way to speed LA up they have no hope.
    The Celtics are playing without Rondo tonight. As such, I'd be shocked if they win. That's just not a very good team without Rondo. If they also don't have Ray Allen at full strength (or at all), I just don't see them beating the Hawks.

I also disagree with the 50/50 for the Sixers. Chicago won about 2/3 of their games without Rose this year, while the Sixers are basically a .500 team. I'd give the edge to the home team with the better record. I'd say a ~40% chance of winning for the Sixers. But that's substantially higher than the odds I would give either the Celtics or the Nuggets.

I'll predict

Atlanta
    Denver
    Chicago

tonight.

Anyone catch Bosh's videobomb of LeBron?
    Classic!

I'll predict

Atlanta
    Denver
    Chicago

tonight.
    I assume to all lose, that is.

Crazy night in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Celtics, without their starting backcourt, upset the Hawks in Atlanta behind a great performance by Paul Pierce and an abysmal showing by Jeff Teague and Josh Smith for Atlanta. Meanwhile, the Bulls inexplicably stopped playing defense and lost badly to the Sixers at home.

The first game was surprising in that I didn't expect Boston to be able to generate enough offense to win. But Pierce turned back the clock a few years and Atlanta's offense kept Boston in the game.

The second game was the real shocker. Not so much because the Bulls lost, but the way that they lost. If you'd asked me before the game who would win, I'd have said the Bulls. I'd have said that because I felt they'd win 85-80 or something like that, with the defense stifling the Sixers. The Bulls were the best rebounding team and best defensive team in the NBA, and losing Rose shouldn't have affected either of those things. If anything, his absence should have affected the offense. But the Bulls managed 92 points (and gave away a few more at the line), which is normally more than sufficient for them to win. Instead, they allowed 109 points on 59% shooting from the field, and were outrebounded by the Sixers 38-32. Some of that was Philly hitting some ridiculous shots, but the rebounding thing is somewhat inexcusable.

I still think the Bulls will win this series. But they'll have to get back to defense and rebounding. I look for them to make a statement in Game 3 in Philly Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Crazy night in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Celtics, without their starting backcourt, upset the Hawks in Atlanta behind a great performance by Paul Pierce and an abysmal showing by Jeff Teague and Josh Smith for Atlanta. Meanwhile, the Bulls inexplicably stopped playing defense and lost badly to the Sixers at home.

The first game was surprising in that I didn't expect Boston to be able to generate enough offense to win. But Pierce turned back the clock a few years and Atlanta's offense kept Boston in the game.

The second game was the real shocker. Not so much because the Bulls lost, but the way that they lost. If you'd asked me before the game who would win, I'd have said the Bulls. I'd have said that because I felt they'd win 85-80 or something like that, with the defense stifling the Sixers. The Bulls were the best rebounding team and best defensive team in the NBA, and losing Rose shouldn't have affected either of those things. If anything, his absence should have affected the offense. But the Bulls managed 92 points (and gave away a few more at the line), which is normally more than sufficient for them to win. Instead, they allowed 109 points on 59% shooting from the field, and were outrebounded by the Sixers 38-32. Some of that was Philly hitting some ridiculous shots, but the rebounding thing is somewhat inexcusable.

I still think the Bulls will win this series. But they'll have to get back to defense and rebounding. I look for them to make a statement in Game 3 in Philly Friday night.
    The Bulls were actually up 8 at the half, then lost the 3rd quarter 36-14. Boozer and Deng combined for 17 points and 10 points in 62 minutes. Those are weak numbers.

Jrue Holiday had 26 points while being guarded by point guards not named Derrick Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    The Bulls were actually up 8 at the half, then lost the 3rd quarter 36-14. Boozer and Deng combined for 17 points and 10 points in 62 minutes. Those are weak numbers.

Jrue Holiday had 26 points while being guarded by point guards not named Derrick Rose.
    But the PG not named Derrick Rose (CJ Watson) is actually the better defender of the two. That was my point: the two places that the Bulls should not have been affected much by the loss of Rose were in rebounding and defense. And those were the two places that they were most affected.

Getting 17 Boozer and Deng isn't great, but they got 15 from Lucas, 21 from Noah, and solid contributions from everyone else. Offensively, they would have been right at their season average if they'd hit their free throws at their normal rate. So that's not why they lost. It was in defense and rebounding that they lost the game, and that was surprising. Again, some of that was due to the Sixers hitting a TON of jumpshots. But 59% can't all be explained by jumpshots. They've got to get back to form defensively if they're going to win this series.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    How about that play where Deng drove the lane, dished to Boozer for the lay-up, then Boozer got swatted by Brand? Could have been one of those fantasy Duke vs. Duke games.

But the PG not named Derrick Rose (CJ Watson) is actually the better defender of the two. That was my point: the two places that the Bulls should not have been affected much by the loss of Rose were in rebounding and defense. And those were the two places that they were most affected.

Getting 17 Boozer and Deng isn't great, but they got 15 from Lucas, 21 from Noah, and solid contributions from everyone else. Offensively, they would have been right at their season average if they'd hit their free throws at their normal rate. So that's not why they lost. It was in defense and rebounding that they lost the game, and that was surprising. Again, some of that was due to the Sixers hitting a TON of jumpshots. But 59% can't all be explained by jumpshots. They've got to get back to form defensively if they're going to win this series.
    I was at the game. The Bulls offense was in complete disarray for most of the second half, with many possessions ending with a contested jumper with seconds left on the shot clock and no one in decent position for offensive boards. IMHO, this contributed a lot to both the rebounding deficit and the run-out baskets by the 76ers. The Bulls have to control tempo and keep games at a half-court pace to win the series, especially with Rose out. They failed miserably last night - the over/under for the game was 177 points, the actual tally was 201.

I agree that the Sixers hit a lot of jumpers, but a number of those, especially by Holiday and Williams, were basically uncontested. Watson and Lucas were both awful on defense last night, and Hamilton had a rough night against Evan Turner as well, though he at least made him work for his points. The other issue with Watson and Lucas is that neither is really a natural PG (i.e. a creating/facilitating type). Both are scorers first and foremost. Someone a bit more adept at driving and dishing might have helped a lot last night.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    How about that play where Deng drove the lane, dished to Boozer for the lay-up, then Boozer got swatted by Brand? Could have been one of those fantasy Duke vs. Duke games.
    The softness with which Boozer often plays these days (fadeaway jumpers, weak finishes at the rim) is very frustrating to Bulls fans, particularly against a small team like the Sixers.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I was at the game. The Bulls offense was in complete disarray for most of the second half, with many possessions ending with a contested jumper with seconds left on the shot clock and no one in decent position for offensive boards. IMHO, this contributed a lot to both the rebounding deficit and the run-out baskets by the 76ers. The Bulls have to control tempo and keep games at a half-court pace to win the series, especially with Rose out. They failed miserably last night - the over/under for the game was 177 points, the actual tally was 201.

I agree that the Sixers hit a lot of jumpers, but a number of those, especially by Holiday and Williams, were basically uncontested. Watson and Lucas were both awful on defense last night, and Hamilton had a rough night against Evan Turner as well, though he at least made him work for his points. The other issue with Watson and Lucas is that neither is really a natural PG (i.e. a creating/facilitating type). Both are scorers first and foremost. Someone a bit more adept at driving and dishing might have helped a lot last night.
    The 25 fast break points were a big part of it. The Sixers did a good job of chasing Korver, Deng, and Hamilton, and the ability of those guys to work off the ball has been the key to the Bull's success without Rose. Watson and Lucas are typically better at facilitating with the pass than they were last night. I agree that they aren't pure PG in that they don't create for others off the dribble. But Rose doesn't really do that either - he is a score-first PG whose first and second instincts are to shoot off the dribble. But even still, the Bulls shot 45% from the field, which is their season average. They were above their season average from 3pt range. And they actually had fewer turnovers than usual. So that doesn't explain the loss. It's not like they were missing so many more shots or coughing the ball up so much that they were creating more easy scoring chances for Philly.

It was just a poor defensive effort and a good shooting night by the Sixers. I was very disappointed in the defensive effort by Watson on Holliday. That's the thing he does best on the court. Against Miami, he regularly flusters Chalmers completely out of his game. Last night, though, he just couldn't do anything to stop Holliday. I expect less than stellar defense from Lucas, so that's not a shock. But Watson is a very good defender. I thought Hamilton did a good job on Turner. It was Turner who was most guilty of hitting heavily contested shots. I remember 2 or 3 mid-range shots in particular that Hamilton was all over Turner and Turner still made it. Can't fault Hamilton there. When Brand, Allen, Turner, and Hawes combine for 10 made jumpers from 15-20 feet (and shoot over 60% from the field) and when you allow 25 fast break points, that's a recipe for a loss. Add in that Williams and Holliday shot an out-of-this-world 19-28 (I don't care how open you are, if you're hitting 60+% on long jumpshots, you're having a ridiculous night) and it was trouble.

It was a fun night of basketball, for sure! When the Bulls started to get behind in the 3rd quarter I knew it was over...you could tell by their body language and energy. There had to be a lot of emotional fatigue in last nights game. You play your heart out without Rose, grab homecourt, then Rose is going to come back and carry you to victory...and he blows out his ACL -- its very deflating in a season with lots of ups and downs.

Rebounding wasn't really such a problem, or rather it was a subset of the larger problem -- the fastbreak points and high shooting percentage. Philadelphia had only 32 misses compared to 46 for the Bulls.