Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Yeah, so... the Spurs are good. The officiating problems I saw in the first quarter have been completely negated by the clinic the Spurs are putting on.

Congrats to Tim Duncan and his 5th NBA championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Yeah, so... the Spurs are good. The officiating problems I saw in the first quarter have been completely negated by the clinic the Spurs are putting on.

Congrats to Tim Duncan and his 5th NBA championship.
    The Spurs (and the D'Antoni Suns are the two best examples) and their selfless, passing team play (along with zone defenses) is a reason that I think that the NBA has become a lot more entertaining in the last decade compared to the total isolation one-on-one boring era that preceded it. The one-on-one isolation era was one of the reasons that I gravitated to the college game as my favorite basketball to watch. I am stuck with college ball and Duke basketball now, but I am not as convinced that college ball is more entertaining now that teams use good ball movement and college play seems to becoming more physical, whereas the pro game has gone more towards skill.
    I wouldn't award the championship to the Spurs yet, since they have only held serve so far against a very good OKC team and would likely have to go through the best player in the world and another of the top 5 (along with the best no-stats all-star of the past decade) to win, but they sure are playing great basketball and looking good right now. I am definitely on the bandwagon, though Duncan has been one of my favorite players throughout his career.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    The Spurs (and the D'Antoni Suns are the two best examples) and their selfless, passing team play (along with zone defenses) is a reason that I think that the NBA has become a lot more entertaining in the last decade compared to the total isolation one-on-one boring era that preceded it. The one-on-one isolation era was one of the reasons that I gravitated to the college game as my favorite basketball to watch. I am stuck with college ball and Duke basketball now, but I am not as convinced that college ball is more entertaining now that teams use good ball movement and college play seems to becoming more physical, whereas the pro game has gone more towards skill.
    I wouldn't award the championship to the Spurs yet, since they have only held serve so far against a very good OKC team and would likely have to go through the best player in the world and another of the top 5 (along with the best no-stats all-star of the past decade) to win, but they sure are playing great basketball and looking good right now. I am definitely on the bandwagon, though Duncan has been one of my favorite players throughout his career.
    Yeah, the Spurs may be boring to watch at times (I actually really enjoy watching them personally), but they play the game at SUCH a high level. I love that Ginobili doesn't mind coming off the bench. Doing so allows the Spurs to never have a letdown on the offensive end. They run pick and roll with Parker for the first quarter, then pick and roll with Ginobili late in the first quarter and the 2nd quarter, and so on. It's just a well-oiled machine.

It's crazy that they haven't lost a game since shortly after the NCAA Tournament ended. They'll probably drop one (maybe two) in OKC, but I'd be surprised if they aren't in the Finals. And I'd call them the favorite to win it all. Their bench (with Ginobili, Stephen Jackson, Splitter, and Neal) is much better than the Heat's bench and they defend well at the SG and SF spots and excel at the C and PG spots. It's a tough matchup for just about anyone.

I'll do you one better, CDu. Not only would I be surprised if the Spurs aren't in the Finals, I'd be legitimately shocked if they don't win it all. They are playing heads and shoulders above every one else at the moment. I look for them to dispatch the Thunder in 5 games, and do the same thing with their opponent from the East. The only thing that might make for a longer Finals would be if Bosh came back and actually played to his potential. That scenario might grant us a 7 game Championship. Even then I'd still look for the Spurs to prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, the Spurs may be boring to watch at times (I actually really enjoy watching them personally), but they play the game at SUCH a high level. I love that Ginobili doesn't mind coming off the bench. Doing so allows the Spurs to never have a letdown on the offensive end. They run pick and roll with Parker for the first quarter, then pick and roll with Ginobili late in the first quarter and the 2nd quarter, and so on. It's just a well-oiled machine.

It's crazy that they haven't lost a game since shortly after the NCAA Tournament ended. They'll probably drop one (maybe two) in OKC, but I'd be surprised if they aren't in the Finals. And I'd call them the favorite to win it all. Their bench (with Ginobili, Stephen Jackson, Splitter, and Neal) is much better than the Heat's bench and they defend well at the SG and SF spots and excel at the C and PG spots. It's a tough matchup for just about anyone.
    The Spurs were initially built on great D, with Duncan anchoring the middle, but I believe that it is their offense that is carrying them now and always having Parker or Ginobili available means always having a playmaker, usually surrounded by very good shooters. I really like the lefty sixth man matchup this series with two fabulous, and fabulously entertaining, players in Harden and Ginobili.
    You're right, the streak is extremely impressive, but I do expect the next two games to be very interesting as OKC, who has also been playing fantastic ball, get to play at home. I also expect the Spurs to be in the final, but expect OKC to put up a very good fight.
    I was wondering if it might be an issue that Duncan, Parker and, of course Ginobli since he was hurt, rarely played more than 32 minutes a game in the regular season and I wasn't sure if they would be ready for more minutes in the playoffs, when needed. I think my concern was unwarranted as Popovich seems to have been a genius with playing time with this group and now has his top guys ready to play good minutes and has better depth than any team I can ever remember in the NBA. I am not sure if there is a reason that Blair hasn't been playing, but he is also an NBA rotation caliber player who hasn't even been cracking the rotation at all lately. Also, how crazy is it that Parker, a guard, shot 16-21 from the field? That is fantastic.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Just amazing basketball from the Spurs. The OKC big three of Durant, Westbrook, and Hardin combined for 88 points, but it wasn't nearly enough.

Hubie Brown, the wise old analyst (and ex-Duke assistant) was sometimes reduced to "ooooh" and "aaah" as terms of appreciation.
    Haven't seen many better performances than Tony Parker delivered last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Yeah, so... the Spurs are good. Congrats to Tim Duncan and his 5th NBA championship.
    It's crazy that they haven't lost a game since shortly after the NCAA Tournament ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Not only would I be surprised if the Spurs aren't in the Finals, I'd be legitimately shocked if they don't win it all.
    I'll go one better...I don't think it's crazy to start considering that this team might run the table. Pop will never coach them to that goal, so it's unlikely, but it may become an unspoken Big 3 "why not?" thing. They are currently a remorseless winning machine.

I was wondering if it might be an issue that Duncan, Parker and, of course Ginobli since he was hurt, rarely played more than 32 minutes a game in the regular season and I wasn't sure if they would be ready for more minutes in the playoffs, when needed.
    Their current health can obviously not be discounted. Consider how many times in this Duncan/Parker/Ginobli run that they weren't healthy. To expand the thought, what might the big 3 Celtics have done over the past 5 years had they been healthy in the playoffs? They might have 3 titles. Obviously, this extends to the Rose injury, etc. Aside from playing nearly flawless ball, they have all their big guns at or near 100%.

I am not sure if there is a reason that Blair hasn't been playing, but he is also an NBA rotation caliber player who hasn't even been cracking the rotation at all lately. Also, how crazy is it that Parker, a guard, shot 16-21 from the field? That is fantastic.
    I think Diaw is eating (rim shot!) minutes since his arrival from Charlotte (how about the Spurs unlocking that value?) and Splitter is playing so well that Blair is the odd man out. Steve Kerr was talking a lot last night about the Spurs bigs' collective ability to distribute the ball and how that keeps the "hit the open man" offense flowing. They were praising Splitter especially and made the note that Popovich feels that big men are better developed ex-US because they are far superior shooters, ball handlers and passers. Take note Wojo lest we start losing big men to the Euroleague (I jest...I think).

I really like the lefty sixth man matchup this series with two fabulous, and fabulously entertaining, players in Harden and Ginobili.
    Me, too. Amazing how similar these two guys are, instant offense off the bench featuring herky jerky odd angled scoring in bunches...and they have to guard each other.

The Spurs, as they are currently playing, are the best NBA team I have seen in a long time.
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 05-30-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Yeah, the Spurs may be boring to watch at times (I actually really enjoy watching them personally)
    I agree and I think we should all do our part to cease the "Spurs are boring" chatter that reminds me so much of "Duke gets all the calls", "Duke can't develop big men" and "Duke is afraid to schedule tough road games" bs. The Spurs ARE fun to watch. Norman Dale wouldn't have to open his mouth sitting next to Shooter on the bench. 4 passes? These guys routinely throw 5-6 resulting in a WIDE open shot. It's sublime.

westbrook has to give the ball up more....his selfishness might cost the thunder heavily...plus, fish had a horrible game last night...not making excuses, just observations...

regardless, they just seem lost trying to figure out the P&R with the slant screens (or whatever they're called) from the spurs...

tony and ginobli have the ball on a string...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I agree and I think we should all do our part to cease the "Spurs are boring" chatter that reminds me so much of "Duke gets all the calls", "Duke can't develop big men" and "Duke is afraid to schedule tough road games" bs. The Spurs ARE fun to watch. Norman Dale wouldn't have to open his mouth sitting next to Shooter on the bench. 4 passes? These guys routinely throw 5-6 resulting in a WIDE open shot. It's sublime.
    I really enjoy watching the Spurs run their offensive sets. I don't find it boring because it's a great mix of team work and great plays. Ginobli and Parker are just making plays when they have to and when they don't the system just gets guys open with good ball movement and spacing. Tim Duncan just does what he needs to do and quietly leads by example, love that guy too! I guess all the NCSU fans that barked about Amile setting screens at Duke (vs, you know playing basketball) are really confused about Pops use of his big men :-)

Good news for the TarHeels: Danny Green almost shot OKC back into the game last night.
    Bad news for the TarHeels: Danny Green plays for the Spurs

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I really enjoy watching the Spurs run their offensive sets. I don't find it boring because it's a great mix of team work and great plays. Ginobli and Parker are just making plays when they have to and when they don't the system just gets guys open with good ball movement and spacing. Tim Duncan just does what he needs to do and quietly leads by example, love that guy too! I guess all the NCSU fans that barked about Amile setting screens at Duke (vs, you know playing basketball) are really confused about Pops use of his big men :-)

Good news for the TarHeels: Danny Green almost shot OKC back into the game last night.
    Bad news for the TarHeels: Danny Green plays for the Spurs
    Still not quite sold on the Spurs as champs yet. They rely a lot on 3 point shooting, (remind you
    a bit of the Magic, with Duncan/Howard underneath...), so one or two bad shooting games and
    OKC could be right back in it.

Yeah, it is fun watching Green heave up rocks, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Still not quite sold on the Spurs as champs yet. They rely a lot on 3 point shooting, (remind you
    a bit of the Magic, with Duncan/Howard underneath...), so one or two bad shooting games and

It did cross my mind that although they work for open 3's that they do rely heavily on that shot. Watching Green's bricks break the offense and give OKC a bit of an opening in the 4th quarter does give us a glimpse of issues they could have if the 3's don't fall. But it's pretty cool watching them work the ball around (and inside out) to get so many open 3's.

Spurs matchups

First off, Duncan had a great one handed dunk over Ibaka then an awesome block (without fouling) Westbrook last night. He's so fundamentally sound that you have to enjoy watching him.

The Spurs might have the best penetrating PG in the league in Tony Parker. He's got enough tricks to finish in the lane without having to careen into anyone or go airborne (Rose, Westbrook) and he always has his head up, looking for a teammate. When his jumper is falling like last night, he's just not going to be stopped. They ran Westbrook through so many big man screens, he's got to be exhausted. If the Spurs go on to win, Parker will destroy the Heat (likely out of the East). Chalmers wont be able to contain Parker and neither Wade or Lebron is quick enough.

The rest of the Thunder lineup is just woefully inadequate at this point. Ibaka, Perk Sefolosha are not keeping up with their end of the scoring bargain. Part of that is Westbrook's fauly. A good point gets every involved before looking for his own shot. He fails that test. But the bigs ought to be crashing the boards and putting all kinds of pressure on the Spurs to pack it in. But they arent doing that. I thought the Thunder would be better, but not playing 3 on 5 on offense.

Interesting stat brought up by Chris Broussard... the Spurs have only ONE lottery pick on their roster. It happens to be Duncan, who's perhaps the best player of his era, but the average for an NBA team is to have 4-5 lottery picks. OKC and Miami each have 6 or 7. The Spurs are doing it by playing team ball and I guess making some really smart second-round picks and trades.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post

I can understand you not being sold on the Spurs as champs yet, as they have two difficult teams to get through yet. I don't know if relying on 3 point shooting is a reason to discount them though. I have come to believe (watching coach K's teams and looking at the stats thanks to people on this site) that to be a successful basketball team you have to use the 3-pointer. It is just too important and can be too efficient a shot when you get open ones. Yes, there is more variability in your results and you can get frustrating cold streaks, but overall your offense is more efficient if you use it as the effective weapon it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If the Spurs go on to win, Parker will destroy the Heat (likely out of the East). Chalmers wont be able to contain Parker and neither Wade or Lebron is quick enough.
    Really? I would think that Wade actually is quick enough to defend Parker. And if not, LeBron has shown himself to be more than quick enough to bottle up the quickest player in the league, Derrick Rose, in the playoffs. I think he could do just fine on Parker. In fact, I think he'd give Parker some absolute fits with his combination of speed and length. Either way, though, a Spurs-Heat match up would be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Really? I would think that Wade actually is quick enough to defend Parker. And if not, LeBron has shown himself to be more than quick enough to bottle up the quickest player in the league, Derrick Rose, in the playoffs. I think he could do just fine on Parker. In fact, I think he'd give Parker some absolute fits with his combination of speed and length. Either way, though, a Spurs-Heat match up would be very interesting.
    I think Lebron would really struggle to keep up with Parker, mainly because of Parker's craftiness. He'd get worn down. I also think Lebron on Parker is a huge opportunity cost for having Lebron guard Manuuuu or guard Green/Jackson and patrol the passing lanes.

Wade could have guarded Parker better a few years back, but he's in the midst of losing a step I believe. Also, if you put Wade or Lebron on Parker, then that means Chalmers has to guard a bigger player or Mike Miller will be guarding someone out of position.

Overreliance on the three pointers? Problems guarding the opposing point guard? I think I'm having deja vu!

Got to give Scott Brooks credit though going to the hack-a-splitter in the third quarter to stop the Spurs momentum, and then switching to a smaller longer line up with Ibaka at the 5 that allowed the Thunder to have a better chance on defense by switching all screens. I think we will see that strategy from Brooks in Game 3 just to prevent Parker from killing them on the pick and roll. I just believe that the Spurs are a better team than the Thunder and whoever comes out the East will be hard pressed to stop this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Interesting stat brought up by Chris Broussard... the Spurs have only ONE lottery pick on their roster. It happens to be Duncan, who's perhaps the best player of his era, but the average for an NBA team is to have 4-5 lottery picks. OKC and Miami each have 6 or 7. The Spurs are doing it by playing team ball and I guess making some really smart second-round picks and trades.
    With the 28th and final pick of the first round of the 2001 draft, the Spurs took Tony Parker.

Two years earlier, Parker had played on the European team in the Nike Hoop Summit. Against some of the best high school players in the nation, he put up 20 points and 7 assists. He then went and played for a couple years in the French professional league. Stupidly, no one considered him much of a prospect so the Spurs landed him with the last pick of the first round. I have not done all the research, but he has to be the best last pick of the first round in history.

Looking back at the 2001 draft, it is hard to find anyone you would draft ahead of him. Maybe Pau Gasol. Maybe Joe Johnson. If I were to redraft that draft it would go:

1. Parker
    2. Gasol
    3. Johnson
    4. Zach Randolph
    5. Gilbert Arenas
    6. Richard Jefferson
    7. Shane Battier
    8. Gerald Wallace
    9. Tyson Chandler
    10. Jason Richardson

-Jason "Kwame Brown, DeSangana Diop, Rodney White, Kedrick Brown... there were some stinkers high in the 2001 draft!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?