Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NBA Playoffs Thread

Am I missing one, or is there no thread for this yet?

Bulls thoroughly dominated the Sixers earlier, but Rose suffered a cringeworthy knee injury while inexplicably still in with 1:23 left. Looks like it could have been an ACL/MCL... huge. Greyboard's posts from a few weeks ago about the risks of relying on hard-charging PGs looking very prescient all of a sudden.

Meanwhile, the Heat are starting to run the Knicks out of the building as of halftime. Chandler setting some head-scratchingly dirty screens (clocked James from behind pretty bad just before halftime, although it didn't look like a flagrant to me), but Battier playing terrific - hit several threes, blocking shots, drawing charges, scrapping on the boards; he's been really fun to watch today.

Did Seth Greenberg take a job as a special assistant for the Knicks? This meltdown is impressive.

D Rose Gone

Dang, Derrick Rose reportedly gone with ACL and MCL tears. Terrible news.

ADDENDUM: Disregard - the NBC affiliate that reported this has retracted their initial report. Details have not been confirmed.
    Last edited by dukedoc; 04-28-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Did Seth Greenberg take a job as a special assistant for the Knicks? This meltdown is impressive.
    I think this is proof that the Knicks NEED Calipari. John, please go save the Knicks and leave college basketball ALONE.

Ouch, Shumpert down with another brutal-looking non-contact knee injury. Tough day so far for guards and knees. Somewhere, greybeard is stroking his beard wisely...

ETA: WOW, that is terrible news dukedoc. Absolutely hate to see something so completely destructive like that happen to one of the greats just as he's entering the prime of his career.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Ouch, Shumpert down with another brutal-looking non-contact knee injury. Tough day so far for guards and knees. Somewhere, greybeard is stroking his beard wisely...

ETA: WOW, that is terrible news dukedoc. Absolutely hate to see something so completely destructive like that happen to one of the greats just as he's entering the prime of his career.
    The NBC outlet that reported the D Rose injury news is now retracting it. Sorry, I didn't mean to monger. I saw it was an NBC affiliate and thought that was adequate. Apparently the exact details are still unclear.

Lebron James trailing the New York Knicks 47-32 after 3 quarters. Hopefully he can step it up in the 4th.

Shane (with some help from Lebron) is doing a terrific job on Carmelo. I've never been a Heat fan, but it's great to see him playing such an integral role on such a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Lebron James trailing the New York Knicks 47-32 after 3 quarters. Hopefully he can step it up in the 4th.

Shane (with some help from Lebron) is doing a terrific job on Carmelo. I've never been a Heat fan, but it's great to see him playing such an integral role on such a great team.
    Battier absolutely shut Anthony down. The Heat are getting exactly what they expect out of Shane when they signed him.

The Rose injury has to be devastating for the Bulls. Just bad luck all season.

As for the Shumpert injury, if it is bad, who's going to guard Wade?

Dwight Howard isn't even at the Magic-Pacers game. I know that he probably had to because of surgery, but it just doesn't seem right.

Celtics are the only team who can give the Heat trouble in the East. Seems like the West could be won by a number of teams: Spurs, Thunder, Lakers, Grizz. I like the Spurs coming out of the West and beating the Heat in the finals. Whether or not Stern allows back to back non "superstar/flashy" teams to win the NBA title will be interesting to see.

I've always liked the NBA playoffs post first round because the matchups are usually real competitive. The intensity is high and the players seem to play with more pride. The only thing that bugs me and it is an all the time thing in the NBA is the flopping by stars and the calls they get.

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    Dwight Howard isn't even at the Magic-Pacers game. I know that he probably had to because of surgery, but it just doesn't seem right.
    Nah, its better for the team that he isnt there. Hope he doesnt show up when they are at home either. Dwightmare.

Anybody else see Duhon with the travel dance after Granger was called for that walk? Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Anybody else see Duhon with the travel dance after Granger was called for that walk? Hilarious
    Would love to see a video of this...

And with a little effort...

Video

Hilarious.
    Last edited by Acymetric; 04-28-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: ETA: link/video

didn't see the game...was duhon in street clothes?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    didn't see the game...was duhon in street clothes?
    No, he played 10 minutes with 1 assist and 2 turnovers. Not his strongest performance, but I thought made up for it.

Thanks for the link Acymetric, should have put some more effort in, but alas, I didn't

Mavs fan here. Don't expect them to win more than 1 game in this series. Durant is flat out clutch. Struggled all game, no fear when they had to have it. Gets it done. Props to him and OKC

Wow. Just devastating news for the Bulls and for Rose. This was a team that had a very legitimate shot at the title. They were finally getting healthy and had the depth, defensive chops, and toughness to beat the Heat. Rose and Watson could torch the Miami PG, and the Bulls bench could expose what is a very subpar Miami supporting cast. Without Rose, they're still one of the best teams in the league. But I don't think they can beat the Heat, and I'm not sure they can beat the Celtics either.

It stinks for Rose as a player, too. He's a guy who succeeded because he was so superior athletically. He's not the greatest passer in the world and not a great shooter. He's sort of like a Jay Williams minus the perimeter shot and some strength, but plus a bit more hops. It was always going to be interesting to see how he aged as a player and his athleticism faded. Now, there's a legitimate concern that he won't be the same explosive player he was pre-injury.

Uggh. Tough news for a Bulls fan. If they're going to win it, it's going to be up to Deng, Boozer, Noah, Watson, and the reserves to step it up a notch. But I think that injury signals the death knell of the Bulls as a title contender this year.

Personally, I don't think the Bulls would have beaten the Heat even with Rose. They won the most games in the league last year too, then lost in five games to Miami, and little has changed with these two teams (except that the Heat have Battier and Norris Cole).

But I would have liked to find out. The playoffs took a huge hit with the Rose injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Personally, I don't think the Bulls would have beaten the Heat even with Rose. They won the most games in the league last year too, then lost in five games to Miami, and little has changed with these two teams (except that the Heat have Battier and Norris Cole).

But I would have liked to find out. The playoffs took a huge hit with the Rose injury.
    I think you're underselling the Bulls' changes. First, they replaced Bogans with Hamilton (an upgrade at both ends of the floor at the position for which they were weakest last year). Second, they have a healthier Boozer. Third, all of their young guys (Rose, Watson, Asik, Noah, and Gibson) have another year's worth of playoff experience and savvy under their belts.

The Bulls managed the best record in the East this year despite having Rose miss 1/3 of the regular season. If that had happened last year, the Bulls could have easily been a lower-half seed. They were far better this year than last. But losing Rose changes everything.