Thread: MJ top ten

MJ top ten

No one would dispute that Jordan is in the top ten of the all time great basketball players but I think he deserves serious consideration as being in the top ten all time worse sports managers/owners. The Wizards were brought to their knees with his meddling and advice...exhibit A Kwame Brown and the Bobcats just set a record for futility in the NBA: worst winning percentage. The Bobcats sealed the deal last night in Charlotte with the Knicks resting most of their starters. It was the 23rd loss in a row and mercifully the season ends before the Bobcats can set another record, although I guess carryover counts so they have a real shot at it. Certainly Jordan is perhaps the worst owner/manager in the NBA and probably in American Sports. Even Al Davis had some good years.

Shows you just how exceptional Jerry West was who would make the NBA top ten in both players and general managers though I guess some would quibble about his position as a player he was still one of the all time greats.

jordan

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    No one would dispute that Jordan is in the top ten of the all time great basketball players but I think he deserves serious consideration as being in the top ten all time worse sports managers/owners. The Wizards were brought to their knees with his meddling and advice...exhibit A Kwame Brown and the Bobcats just set a record for futility in the NBA: worst winning percentage. The Bobcats sealed the deal last night in Charlotte with the Knicks resting most of their starters. It was the 23rd loss in a row and mercifully the season ends before the Bobcats can set another record, although I guess carryover counts so they have a real shot at it. Certainly Jordan is perhaps the worst owner/manager in the NBA and probably in American Sports. Even Al Davis had some good years.

Shows you just how exceptional Jerry West was who would make the NBA top ten in both players and general managers though I guess some would quibble about his position as a player he was still one of the all time greats.
    The worst part about Jordan's incompetence in Charlotte is the way he doesn't even appear to care ... as the Bobcats were stumbling to the finish last week, MK was in Chicago enjoying himself as a Blackhawks game.

I think Jordan, is in the top (or bottom) 10, but he has a way to go to match Isiah Thomas, who bought the CBA, then mismanaged it into bankruptcy. You've got to admit that's worse than drafting Kwame Brown ... killing an entire league. Then he followed that classic screwup with his tenure as GM of the NY Knicks, where he not only ran the franchise into the ground, but also tied them up with so many long-term contracts that they are still trying to dig themselves out. As a cherry on top of that foul sundae, he was nailed for sexual harrassment while running the Knicks, costing the team $11.5 million.

I'd also rank Michael behind Donald Sterling, who has turned the LA Clippers into a by-word for mediocrity in his 30-plus years owning the team. On top of that, Sterling actually financed Jerry Buss' purchase of the Lakers -- installing the owner of his biggest rival and one of the most succesful sports franchises for that era.

I'll have to think about baseball owners for a while -- there have been a lot of bad ones. The NFL is such a league-run organization that it's hard to be too terrible. Guys like Al Davis and George Stiennbrenner and Mark Cuban my be obnoxious at times and they may make some bad decisions, but they at least try very hard to win and have enjoyed success at times. I don't think they belong on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Guys like Al Davis and George Stiennbrenner and Mark Cuban my be obnoxious at times and they may make some bad decisions, but they at least try very hard to win and have enjoyed success at times. I don't think they belong on this list.
    I would say it's so obvious that Mark Cuban doesn't belong on this list that it shouldn't even require a mention . The Mavs have made the playoffs every year under him, have been to the finals twice, and are currently the defending champs.

What about Tribune ownership of the Chicago Cubs? This ecompasses the time from 1981-2008?

They ended on a relatively high note, but thats a lot of years of suckage with little to show...

Or maybe Phillip K Wrigley the owner before that?

corporate ownership

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    What about Tribune ownership of the Chicago Cubs? This ecompasses the time from 1981-2008?

They ended on a relatively high note, but thats a lot of years of suckage with little to show...

Or maybe Phillip K Wrigley the owner before that?
    I think there has to be a whole new category for corporate ownership. Agree, the Trib did a terrible job running the Cubs for a quarter century. But what about CBS and the Yankees? Before CBS, the Yankees are the most dominant franchise in all pro sports. After CBS, Stienbrenner buys the team and the Yankees become consistent winners (even in the 80s when his mismanagement is at its worst, the Yankees were still a winning team). But in the decade when CBS owned the team, the Yankees were usually a second-division team. That's hard to do -- kind of like when you look at Duke basketball and see that almost every coach in Duke history was a winner (not as big as K, but successful) ... and then you get to Bucky Waters who ran the program into the ground. Or Matt Doherty at UNC. CBS and the Yankees are the same kind of unique suckitude.

As for Cubas, I only mentioned him because a lot of people seem upset by his management style. My point is that I'd rather have an obnoxious winner than a nice, respectable losers. If I was a Cubs fan or a Dodger fan, I'd be furious that Major League Baseball blocked him from buying my team. I can understand why they did it -- Cuban would be in the Commissioner's face every other week ... but he'd bring those fans a contending team in short order.

To go along with Sterling I think you have to pair him along with his GM Elgin Baylor. He made some awful draft selections during his tenure for example, passing up Scottie Pippen for Reggie Williams, Kobe Bryant for Lorenzen Wright and Dirk Nowitzki for Michael Olowokandi. To which the Clippers I believe only went 607-1153 and only making the playoffs three times. Baylor along with Thomas, Jordan, and McHale have made a pretty impressive record of great players being terrible executives. The only great player who I can think of as a great executive was Jerry West.

West

Speaking of West anyone read his autobiography sounds pretty interesting

Jordan? Don't recall him. Didn't he play minor league baseball for the Birmingham Barons?

No bat, no glove.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Jordan? Don't recall him. Didn't he play minor league baseball for the Birmingham Barons?

No bat, no glove.
    But he could roll the bones.

His Airness Deflated

Written by a fellow DBR poster...

http://www.vice.com/read/his-airness-deflated

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Written by a fellow DBR poster...

http://www.vice.com/read/his-airness-deflated
    Just a public service announcement... this link got screened by my company's web filter for "Category: Nudity." Not accusing Truth of posting inappropriately. Just a public service announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Just a public service announcement... this link got screened by my company's web filter for "Category: Nudity." Not accusing Truth of posting inappropriately. Just a public service announcement.
    Link is good. Can't see what would have triggered that unless maybe it was an ad?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukefan1.0 View Post
    To go along with Sterling I think you have to pair him along with his GM Elgin Baylor. He made some awful draft selections during his tenure for example, passing up Scottie Pippen for Reggie Williams, Kobe Bryant for Lorenzen Wright and Dirk Nowitzki for Michael Olowokandi. To which the Clippers I believe only went 607-1153 and only making the playoffs three times. Baylor along with Thomas, Jordan, and McHale have made a pretty impressive record of great players being terrible executives. The only great player who I can think of as a great executive was Jerry West.
    Some would include Nolan Ryan on the list of successful players/executives.

Pass

His Hall of Fame speech was particularly cringe worthy and almost all the writers and reporters gave him a pass. A bit of irony is he was hopelessly outclassed that night with two of the real gems in the past decades being inducted: John Stockton and David Robinson. He made a reference that without basketball they would have been nothing, somehow I think Dave Stockton and especially David Robinson would have had successful, meaningful lives without basketball.

I liked what one former NBA star said which was Yeah it was a bad speech but it was Michael that is who he is, arrogant, mean and petty

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Some would include Nolan Ryan on the list of successful players/executives.
    And Cal Ripkin, Jr.

Don't follow Nascar, but Joe Gibbs and Dale Earnhart probably fit in there as well.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    And Cal Ripkin, Jr.
    I don't believe Cal is an executive yet. I think he is stalling until Mr. Angelos is six feet deep before going back to the O's full time. Given his accomplishments in the baseball world post-retirement, I'd say he's a good bet to be a solid executive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I don't believe Cal is an executive yet. I think he is stalling until Mr. Angelos is six feet deep before going back to the O's full time. Given his accomplishments in the baseball world post-retirement, I'd say he's a good bet to be a solid executive.
    Cal's company owns a number of minor league baseball teams in Maryland, Georgia and Florida (AFAIK).

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Cal's company owns a number of minor league baseball teams in Maryland, Georgia and Florida (AFAIK).
    Speaking of horrible sports executives, Peter Angelos has to be up near the head of the list for the way he's run the Orioles into the ground despite spending considerable money on trying to "improve" them.

And speaking of Cal Ripken, he is indeed the man--backed by deeper-pocketed investors--who should ultimately buy the O's from Angelos-er. And Cal could contribute to running the Orioles, maybe even by becoming manager at the right point and under the right circumstances. Oherwise, even if he never managed, he could do tons of p.r. rehabilitation for the franchise as its new/old "face." And,at the same time, teach and inspire some of the O's developing players in the minor league system. Oh, yes...and goose pathetic ticket sales levels bigtime.
    Last edited by SmartDevil; 05-03-2012 at 06:43 PM.