Thread: Zoubek update

Zoubek update

At Friday's Blue Devil Club meeting I asked about Zoub's, since we had heard recently that he was in New Jersey. Was he still rehabbing his back, waiting for an NBA try out? Turn's out that he has retired from basketball and is no longer pursuing a pro contract. He has some business opportunities that presented themselves and he's going after a life, rather than subjecting his body to further (potential) injury.

Good luck Brian! We're all rooting for you!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

thanks ozzie, i had a friend run into him in NYC a few months back and talked to him for a few min. He told my friend the same thing...i didn't want to post cause i didn't know if it was public or not..

bummer, but THANK YOU ZOUBS FOR EVERYTHING you did for duke!!!

best of luck to you...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Ran into Zoubs earlier this evening in NYC. I asked him how he was doing and he said "great". I didn't want to bother him with questions, so that's all I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Ran into Zoubs earlier this evening in NYC. I asked him how he was doing and he said "great". I didn't want to bother him with questions, so that's all I asked.
    Well, look at it this way. If Zoubs never plays another competitive game in his life, he can look back on his last game
    as the one that he made the winning plays (altered shot, rebound, free throws made/missed) to win the NCAA championship. There's maybe about a dozen other people alive who can say they did that. That will make him happy the rest of his life. They can't take it away from him, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    thanks ozzie, i had a friend run into him in NYC a few months back and talked to him for a few min. He told my friend the same thing...i didn't want to post cause i didn't know if it was public or not..

bummer, but THANK YOU ZOUBS FOR EVERYTHING you did for duke!!!

best of luck to you...
    Agree with the thank you, not sure I agree with the "bummer." I think it's great that Zoubek has opportunities beyond basketball and doesn't feel he needs to struggle with chronic back pain in the hope of eking out a marginal NBA or somewhat more successful sub-NBA professional basketball career. Sounds (admittedly based on limited evidence) like he is very comfortable with his choice. So I say best of luck, and congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Agree with the thank you, not sure I agree with the "bummer." I think it's great that Zoubek has opportunities beyond basketball and doesn't feel he needs to struggle with chronic back pain in the hope of eking out a marginal NBA or somewhat more successful sub-NBA professional basketball career. Sounds (admittedly based on limited evidence) like he is very comfortable with his choice. So I say best of luck, and congratulations.
    Yeah, if Zoubs is content to move on to the "next play", we thank him and wish him the best.

It wouldn't be unusual if a year or so down the road, he felt better physically and had the urge to test himself against the best competition in the world.
    If not, as noted, he's got some great memories and as satisfying an ending to his college career as one could imagine.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

One of the greatest mid season transformations I've seen with immaculate timing!

Best of luck!

i only say "bummer" cause i wanted to see him in the league, continuing that growth that he showed the world in his senior year...

i'd never want him to suffer pain or not be happy...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Gossip, gossip, gossip.

Fear not! I have the latest on Brian Zoubek. It's all right here:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...n-Zoubek-22033

-Meal Jar

If someone runs into Zoubek, you might want to tell him to get himself over to the Feldenkrais Institute of NY, 26nd b/w 7th and 8th. One of the codirectors was a very, very highly regarded physical thearopist in one of NYC's major hospitals; his specialty, backs. He is I understand tremendous as a hands on practictioner. The other, David Zemach-Bersin might well be the best in the world.

Here's my hypothesabout Z's back. He will however be examined by either of these guys who will ask Z tons of pretinent questions, look at XRays, decide what would be the best way to work with him. At all times, they will be trying to diprove their hypothesis, and, if they do, they will have found somkething different to adddress.

Back to the back and my hypothesis. The muscles in the back that hold you up, extenso muscles that open joints by constricting can work all day. They are not capable of quick motions, but are long lasting. The flexor muscles are much more powerful, are made for quick firing, relaxation, quick firing.

If flexors hold residual tension chronically, the erectors do not only have to contend with gravity to eetoe already and chronically flexed extensors. Can lead to some serious back pain. Here's a little moer information, if one flexor habitually is flexed, they all are,, very powerful muscles they all are. The consequence, your chin is pulled down toward your chest, you will have to fight mightily to keep your head erect (more on the need for curviture in the cervical spine which is directly proportional to the lumbar spine, and all parts of the spin, particuarly those behind the lower abs, that would be the ones goingover the pelvic ridge and inhibiting if constricted, freezing the sacrum (yikes that hurts) and also the curviture of the neck. There two areas are supposed to have curves in them for a variety of reasons, one of which is to provide slack to absorb force. So, now we have the lower back and the cervical spine to keep from having o alk likean ld maor at least hunched over. Zoubek has probably been hearing from when he was a kid, shoulders back, head up, so he is working extra hard. By the way, you take a human skeleton and hang if from a wire attached through the head of the skull, there will be no two bones in the body escept two in the neck that will form a straight line or anything approaching it.

So, what is a central focus of all high end taining regimines. You gotitio they, the trainers, go at them. What's the chance that they relax fully. Zero. Lie down on the floor before you begin a workout udtebridge of the lumbar spine, notice the space, and then o the same thing after you do your ab swork, you can drive a truck through there. That comes from the front of the body, not thek.

It gets evn me complicaed. The muscles in the core do not develop symerically. One side wors mch hard, and hmore residual tension than the other. Cnsqcs, one side of the back and neck have to work much harder than the other side to get to erect t now erect is skewed on a vector that bks trigtadned and he doesntant to see the lning tower of Zoubek. In addition, by trying to right the ship, there is a shapr turn of vertbrae or two in opposition to the direction that the other verterae are turned to causing a cup, There is a coospdincu n the loweer spine lower thorasic down into the cervical. Small scholiotition. Oh, did I mention that those lower abs have a similar bias that otly locks the sacrailicac, but also locks the pelvis, or at least stops it from moving anywhere normal (bottom forward, top forward, i.e. tilting) but also from the elsfrming one side up and the other down, and of course fom the pelvis turning, and the spine transmitting the spiral up through the ghest vertebrae.

Now, I am not even going get into how the wquads hook up with the obliques, the hamies with the glutes, how the fib cage gets rigi, the doesn't sink, andthe conseqences of all this. Knots in muscles in the back usually form and are painful, real rigid ribs when torqued will try to pull away from the cartiledge that attaches to the spine in the back, well, you get the picture.

You might be thinking, holy #$%^, zoubs is a dead man. The reality is that this is not so difficult to make substantial progress with rather quickly. If discs are bulging, a little mo complicated but nothing a really experienced Feldenkrais practiner can't deal with quite easily. I just named of them.

Zoub's will not feel a bit of pain during what is called an FI lesson, will hardly notice that he is being moved, and will feel so much better. f a lnd some timewith Dav, it will be in Darnestown, Pa. David will insist that Z come in the night before and stay the night after. If David has thme, he willrecommend two lessons a day, and will work two days in a row, no physical exercise in between and if is smart,r however long David says after.

The strategies Dr. Feldenkrais put together are ingenious, FIs often have results after one session. For sureateany session, one will feel discrnibly diifferent to the side of good, will have learned something of very much value about how they are hurting themselves, and feel a general sense of well-bng and alertness. One's awareness, more forest and ony special tries, will also have changed.

You will find this NO Where Else.

Oh, David is starting two trainings in the fall, 1 in NYC and 1 in Baltimore, is offering free one-day workshops in each city the next two months teaching Awareness Through Movement lessons, with some information in between or in the midst of a lesson about the work. Woth going? You'riight.

All these craz spelling errors are due to my computer. I thought it was my wireless keyboard mouse and finally got a new set. You see how much that helped. Anybody who's got any suggestions about what it might be, please send private message. This has been going on for many months and has gotten worse. Sorry about this. This is the reason I so often edit. I catch some ridiculous stuft key points that can't go unaddressed. Often, once I get into doing it, and decide to rewrite a sentence or two,bigo, time is up. Once I get this thing corrected, I should return to more normal ungodly amount of spelling errors, but will not seem insane.