Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21

    I get that, to an extent

    Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    The thing you seem to be overlooking, however, is that Chris and Wojo are extremely happy with their current situations at Duke. It is often publicized that the Duke coaching family is very close, and very well taken-care-of. They simply don't want to leave, UNLESS a golden opportunity arises. They are perfectly aware of the fact that golden opportunities are, well... golden. That is to say, they're pretty rare. But because of the fact that, at the moment, they like where they are in their lives, the two are more than comfortable biding their time until the right situation comes along.

    This all could change in the coming years (with K leaving and growing ambitions), but for the time being, I'd be surprised if either one of them moves to a position that is anything but perfect.
    I understand that they've got about the best gigs as assistants in all of college basketball. That being said, I also assume that one, or both, would like to be considered to be Ks replacement whenever that day comes. I would hope that both would want to actually be head coaches, and I would hope that Duke wouldn't consider guys who don't have head coaching experience. Hence, I'd think, as perfect as Duke may be, both gets that they need to cut the cord and make out on their own.

    I also don't think, at this point, either is going to get offered a position that's "perfect" as they seem to define it and that for Chris, Illinois State is probably as close as he's going to see.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Collins says "it is not the right fit." At least he looked into it.

    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/11041085/
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    The thing you seem to be overlooking, however, is that Chris and Wojo are extremely happy with their current situations at Duke. It is often publicized that the Duke coaching family is very close, and very well taken-care-of. They simply don't want to leave, UNLESS a golden opportunity arises.
    Yes. I would edit ever so slightly to make the bolded part say "UNTIL a golden oppty arises." "Unless" seems to imply they'd be comfortable staying as assistants forever if an oppty never arose...but these guys want to be head coaches and they wont be fine sitting on the bench forever. They are waiting for the right oppty, and it will come, eventually.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    I've suggested this before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are more flexible in what job they go for after the Olympics.

    The Olympics offer such an amazing experience - both in developing personal skills and in professional networking. Hard to skip when you can be in the thick of it.

    -jk

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Triad, NC
    I'm thinking this would be a 'step down' or however it was described for Collins. He is currently the associate head coach at one of the greatest basketball programs. Chris is right hand man to the greatest coach of all time and is right in line to take over when K retires.
    We will see, but I just don't see it...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Yes. I would edit ever so slightly to make the bolded part say "UNTIL a golden oppty arises." "Unless" seems to imply they'd be comfortable staying as assistants forever if an oppty never arose...but these guys want to be head coaches and they wont be fine sitting on the bench forever. They are waiting for the right oppty, and it will come, eventually.
    Are we sure of that though? Some guys are content being lifetime assistants. I do think Collins wants to be a HC one day, but not sure if Wojo wants that or not. Nothing wrong with being a career assistant if you love your job and your pay. I think it is going to take a very perfect situation for either to leave until the day K retires. Whether either wants the Duke job one day is another matter altogether.

    With Collins removing his name from this job, the staff will stay intact for at least one more season.

    The Carolina Way:
    169 student-athletes had at least 1 semester where the grade in their paper class either pushed or kept their GPA above 2.0. At least 1 semester each of those students had recalculated GPA (excluding the paper class grade(s))below a 2.0. This includes 123 FB players, 15 Men's BB players. 81 students earned degrees from Chapel Hill whose recalculated final GPA excluding the grade(s) from their paper class or classes was less than the 2.0 required to graduate.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    Chris is right hand man to the greatest coach of all time and is right in line to take over when K retires.
    With each passing season, "when K retires" draws nearer. Now it still may 10 years or more away, but I'm like many other posters that would like to see whomever takes the reigns also have some head coaching experienc himself. And by that I also mean more than one year; I'd like to see what his successor does with his own recruiting class like we've seen Amaker, Brey, Capel and Quinn Snyder do. (This isn't an advocation for any of those, they are just examples.) So time is potentially running short for either Collins or Wojo to be able to do that. Hopefully neither picks some school that never plays in the tourney or that isn't a basketball powerhouse. Like Army.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  8. #28
    I don't think a head coaching job in the MVC is a step down from being an assistant at Duke. Being in charge of your own program is a massive jump in responsibility and prestige.

    I too think that Chris should have HC experience is he wants to be considered as Ks replacement. Duke's too big a job to hand it over to someone who's never run a program on their own before. Part of the reason I think this was such a great opportunity is that Chris would be well positioned to succeed quickly at ISU, making his candidacy to replace K very strong.

    Right now, we don't have a candidate from the K coaching tree, in my opinion, who has shown to be a viable replacement when retirement comes. I'd like that to change, since I think it highly unlikely we hire outside the K family tree, and this was a great chance for Chirs to make it change.

    Doesn't matter. He's not interested, whatever the reason.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    ... we don't have a candidate from the K coaching tree, in my opinion, who has shown to be a viable replacement when retirement comes. ....
    In my opinion, we do have a viable replacement from the K coaching tree when retirement comes: Jay Bilas. Former Duke player, multiple Duke degrees, highly praised (by K) serious b'ball mind, tremendous exposure to other ideas and systems via media work, cachet of espn job, could handle the media, could be a star-power "face" of the program .... The infrastructure of Duke basketball is there (facilities, endowed scholarships, history, media exposure) ... there is no program building required ... what's required is the star wattage/serious basketball mind/honesty to reel in the talent, mold it, and keep doing things the right way. I think Bilas provides that.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In my opinion, we do have a viable replacement from the K coaching tree when retirement comes: Jay Bilas. Former Duke player, multiple Duke degrees, highly praised (by K) serious b'ball mind, tremendous exposure to other ideas and systems via media work, cachet of espn job, could handle the media, could be a star-power "face" of the program .... The infrastructure of Duke basketball is there (facilities, endowed scholarships, history, media exposure) ... there is no program building required ... what's required is the star wattage/serious basketball mind/honesty to reel in the talent, mold it, and keep doing things the right way. I think Bilas provides that.
    Of course, we have no idea if he can coach. That's still, technically, part of the job requirements.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Yes. I would edit ever so slightly to make the bolded part say "UNTIL a golden oppty arises." "Unless" seems to imply they'd be comfortable staying as assistants forever if an oppty never arose...but these guys want to be head coaches and they wont be fine sitting on the bench forever. They are waiting for the right oppty, and it will come, eventually.
    Seems fair. I'd approve that edit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Are we sure of that though? Some guys are content being lifetime assistants. I do think Collins wants to be a HC one day, but not sure if Wojo wants that or not. Nothing wrong with being a career assistant if you love your job and your pay. I think it is going to take a very perfect situation for either to leave until the day K retires. Whether either wants the Duke job one day is another matter altogether.
    Hmm. Either way, it is reassuring to think that both Collins and Wojo are in positions of strength, from which they can carefully consider their next step. There is nothing pushing them out the door, so whatever their ambitions, they can be sure that when they do finally get around to making their choices, they will be doing it for all the right reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In my opinion, we do have a viable replacement from the K coaching tree when retirement comes: Jay Bilas. Former Duke player, multiple Duke degrees, highly praised (by K) serious b'ball mind, tremendous exposure to other ideas and systems via media work, cachet of espn job, could handle the media, could be a star-power "face" of the program .... The infrastructure of Duke basketball is there (facilities, endowed scholarships, history, media exposure) ... there is no program building required ... what's required is the star wattage/serious basketball mind/honesty to reel in the talent, mold it, and keep doing things the right way. I think Bilas provides that.
    This is an idea that we haven't seen floated around much, but I'm not sure if I would buy into it. Jay may have been an assistant at Duke for a few years -- and he sure picked some good years to be around for -- but I don't think that he has the coaching pedigree our program would be looking for. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good coach, but if he was ultimately selected over the more proven members on the family tree, it could be viewed as a gimmick hire.

    Now if we brought Jay back as an assistant (post-K), with Dawkins or Amaker or somebody else at the helm... could be interesting.
    "With seven national titles and 20 Final Fours in the 64-team NCAA Tournament era, Duke and UNC have had more playoff success than any other CONFERENCE." - Al Featherston

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Of course, we have no idea if he can coach. That's still, technically, part of the job requirements.
    Serious question: what do you mean by "coach." Seems the skill set and job requirements to lead the Duke program are varied: be honest, recruit elite talent, motivate, implement systems, diagram plays, teach....

    Bilas was a coach under Coach K for three years. I imagine K has an idea if he can coach. That's what planted this seed in my mind -- reading a quote by K from probably a decade or so ago, speaking glowingly about Bilas' coaching and what might have happened if he had stayed with coaching. Per wikipedia, Bilas speaks at camps and clinics -- don't know the substance of those presentations.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    ... I don't think that he has the coaching pedigree our program would be looking for. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good coach, but if he was ultimately selected over the more proven members on the family tree, it could be viewed as a gimmick hire. ....
    I believe you look for qualities you want in a head coach -- identify what you believe it will take to be successful, and find someone with those qualities. A coaching pedigree can be a proxy for those qualities: a whole laundry list of boxes need to be checked to get a major program to win at a certain level, and if someone has gotten a program to win at that level, then we can conclude they possess the qualities we want. Having that coaching pedigree, of course, is not the only way to demonstrate one has the needed qualities.

    In 2003, I advocated Jim Harbaugh be looked at for Duke's football coaching opening. I thought he had the qualities that Duke wanted. At the time, he was the Raiders QB coach (only his 2d year coaching full-time; he had helped his dad part-time before that). Duke didn't hire him or even consider him that I know of. The University of San Diego (I-AA school) hired him, and he did very well there (and since w/ Stanford and 49ers).

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I believe you look for qualities you want in a head coach -- identify what you believe it will take to be successful, and find someone with those qualities. A coaching pedigree can be a proxy for those qualities: a whole laundry list of boxes need to be checked to get a major program to win at a certain level, and if someone has gotten a program to win at that level, then we can conclude they possess the qualities we want. Having that coaching pedigree, of course, is not the only way to demonstrate one has the needed qualities.
    I'm with you to an extent, but ultimately I can't agree. You're certainly right that Jay has all the qualities you might want in a head coach. He has a spotless record, character-wise. He is well spoken. He is clearly smart and knows basketball in and out. But there is a lot more to being a head coach than simple coaching: in a certain sense, he would also be running an organization. And no matter how many of the coaching qualities a man may possess, if you don't have any experience in running such an organization, you aren't going to magically be good at it.

    It is so much more than just X's and O's + recruiting. It's picking your staff. It's managing various institutional interests (ADs, commissioners, boosters, etc.). It's about having an army of reliable contacts, anywhere and everywhere. There is probably so much more to it that I (an outsider) could not even begin to paint a realistic picture of the job. As much as I love Bilas, I just can't imagine that 3 years as an assistant and his time at ESPN could fully prepare him for the logistical and organizational aspects of being a head coach.

    K runs a very tight ship. Whoever follows him will need to have a proven ability to do the same.
    Last edited by Jderf; 05-01-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    "With seven national titles and 20 Final Fours in the 64-team NCAA Tournament era, Duke and UNC have had more playoff success than any other CONFERENCE." - Al Featherston

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    I don't think a head coaching job in the MVC is a step down from being an assistant at Duke. Being in charge of your own program is a massive jump in responsibility and prestige.

    ....

    Doesn't matter. He's not interested, whatever the reason.
    it shouldn't be dismissed that the ISU job likely pays a small fraction of what he makes now at Duke.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I'm with you to an extent, but ultimately I can't agree. You're certainly right that Jay has all the qualities you might want in a head coach. He has a spotless record, character-wise. He is well spoken. He is clearly smart and knows basketball in and out. But there is a lot more to being a head coach than simple coaching: in a certain sense, he would also be running an organization. And no matter how many of the coaching qualities a man may possess, if you don't have any experience in running such an organization, you aren't going to magically be good at it.

    It is so much more than just X's and O's + recruiting. It's picking your staff. It's managing various institutional interests (ADs, commissioners, boosters, etc.). It's about having an army of reliable contacts, anywhere and everywhere. There is probably so much more to it that I (an outsider) could not even begin to paint a realistic picture of the job. As much as I love Bilas, I just can't imagine that 3 years as an assistant and his time at ESPN could fully prepare him for the logistical and organizational aspects of being a head coach.

    K runs a very tight ship. Whoever follows him will need to have a proven ability to do the same.
    Yup. In theory, Bilas has all the tools to be a good head coach. But that's all in theory. To be the head coach at Duke, you need some track record. We got very lucky when Coach K worked out despite a lack of proven pedigree. But that is not a model that lends itself to continued success. It makes more sense to hire someone with a proven ability to coach, not a theoretical ability to coach.

    I'd also add that I wonder if Bilas has any interest in coaching. He could have had any number of opportunities at this point, but seems very comfortable in the analyst's chair. He's probably well-compensated and has a fairly cushy gig at ESPN. No reason to give that up for the tougher coaching lifestyle and pressure unless you really want it.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC

    Bilas's "other" job

    Don't forget that Bilas also has another career: attorney. I don't know how much time he spends there since he's "of counsel", but he's still listed as an attorney with Moore & Van Allen in Charlotte.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In my opinion, we do have a viable replacement from the K coaching tree when retirement comes: Jay Bilas. Former Duke player, multiple Duke degrees, highly praised (by K) serious b'ball mind, tremendous exposure to other ideas and systems via media work, cachet of espn job, could handle the media, could be a star-power "face" of the program .... The infrastructure of Duke basketball is there (facilities, endowed scholarships, history, media exposure) ... there is no program building required ... what's required is the star wattage/serious basketball mind/honesty to reel in the talent, mold it, and keep doing things the right way. I think Bilas provides that.
    And, at 6'8", he could be his own big-man coach.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    And, at 6'8", he could be his own big-man coach.
    Nah, he's way too tall.

Similar Threads

  1. UNC v. Illinois, etc
    By Bluedevil114 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM
  2. Stupid Football 101 - Ohio State v. Illinois
    By Udaman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 10:44 AM
  3. MBB: Illinois 78, Michigan State 73
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
  4. MBB: Northern Iowa 60, Illinois State 57 OT
    By rthomas in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •