Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

casting by race

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't have any problem with casting outside of original race. And I have no problem with Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. I was just pointing out that "having the look" is not really an accurate argument for casting him. A better example of an actor who "has the look" would be Eric Dane of Grey's Anatomy.
    This twist in the thread reminds me of the 1982 film "An Officer and a Gentleman". Lou Gossett Jr. won an Academy Award as Sgt. Foley, the nasty drill instructor. I read where his role was originally envisioned for a white actor and that Gossett played the part almost exactly as it had been written. I certainly can't remember any nuance to thecharacter that suggests he's black ... othetr than the fact that Gossett certrainly is.

Are their any roles that have to be defined by race?We've had generations of Italian Butterflies. We have famous instances of Olivier playing Othello AND the Mahdi (in Khartoom) in blackface, so I guess anything is possible. Houseman and Welles staged Macbeth with an all-black cast in the '30s. Maybe we're ready for Josh Groban and Susan Boyle singing the lead roles in Porgy and Bess ... no, on second thought, that might be pushing things too far.

But a black Nick Fury? No problem in my eyes,

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This twist in the thread reminds me of the 1982 film "An Officer and a Gentleman". Lou Gossett Jr. won an Academy Award as Sgt. Foley, the nasty drill instructor. I read where his role was originally envisioned for a white actor and that Gossett played the part almost exactly as it had been written. I certainly can't remember any nuance to thecharacter that suggests he's black ... othetr than the fact that Gossett certrainly is.

Are their any roles that have to be defined by race?We've had generations of Italian Butterflies. We have famous instances of Olivier playing Othello AND the Mahdi (in Khartoom) in blackface, so I guess anything is possible. Houseman and Welles staged Macbeth with an all-black cast in the '30s. Maybe we're ready for Josh Groban and Susan Boyle singing the lead roles in Porgy and Bess ... no, on second thought, that might be pushing things too far.

But a black Nick Fury? No problem in my eyes,
    I finally broke down and saw a $7 Saturday matinee this weekend (yea, I'm slow, what can I say) and was awed with nearly all aspects of the movie. We see very few movies and this is the first we have seen in a couple years, at least (we really do get out of the house on occasion but just not to many movies). I'd concur heartily with the casting of Mr. Jackson as Nick Fury. Well-scripted and well-acted, regardless of his skin color, either in the comics or in the movie. He may have been even more of a badass than Coach James.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I finally broke down and saw a $7 Saturday matinee this weekend (yea, I'm slow, what can I say) and was awed with nearly all aspects of the movie. We see very few movies and this is the first we have seen in a couple years, at least (we really do get out of the house on occasion but just not to many movies). I'd concur heartily with the casting of Mr. Jackson as Nick Fury. Well-scripted and well-acted, regardless of his skin color, either in the comics or in the movie. He may have been even more of a badass than Coach James.
    Again, I have no problem with having an African-American Nick Fury. Jackson came across as "meh" to me in the role though. I didn't find him to be terribly Nate James-like in the role. At 63, he's just too old (technically, Fury was much older, but he was in much better physical shape due to "special medications") to play the role athletically.

I didn't bring up the racial aspect of the role as a reason not to cast Jackson. I just brought it up as an argument against the idea that Jackson looks like Nick Fury. I think there were several guys who could better fit the role (both caucasian and African-American) better than Jackson.

That said, the movie was absolutely fantastic. Ruffalo nailed it as Banner and Downey Jr. was brilliant as always as Stark (type-casting?). Hiddleston is fantastic as Loki. The entire production was phenomenal.

... But a black Nick Fury? No problem in my eyes,
    Nor in his eye

Box Office so far

As of today, The Avengers is #4 all-time for domestic gross box office, well ahead of the #5 movie, Star Wars -- Episode IV, with in excess of $523,000,000 in domestic gross box office (compared to Star Wars' almost $461,000,000).

Adjusted for inflation, though, The Avengers is currently #43 all-time, which is still impressive! The inflation-adjusted chart is linked below.

Source: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
    No soup for you!

I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong.

there...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

profitability

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    As of today, The Avengers is #4 all-time for domestic gross box office, well ahead of the #5 movie, Star Wars -- Episode IV, with in excess of $523,000,000 in domestic gross box office (compared to Star Wars' almost $461,000,000).

Adjusted for inflation, though, The Avengers is currently #43 all-time, which is still impressive! The inflation-adjusted chart is linked below.

Source: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
    I really appeciate seeing the inflation-adjusted list. Obviously, that does make a difference.

On the other hand many of the top movies on the list are up that high because of multiple re-releases. I can still remember going to see Gone with the Wind in a Theater in the mid 1960s. Disney, of course, long made a habit of re-releasing its kiddie hits every seven years to catch a new genertion of fans. Today's films very rarely get re-released. It happens (most recently for Titanic 3-D), but the normal course is for release to DVD and video on demand at about 5-6 months after release. That, of course, is another financial windfall, but not to be included on this list -- besides the older films also get profitable DVD sales too.

I'm just saying that I'd like to take this list one step farther -- to break it down to inflation-adjusted FIRST RELEASE profits.

One other point -- the incredible profits that the top movies make should remind us of the jackpot at the end of the movie-making rainbow ... and explain why a studio would spent 50-60 million dollars to make and promote a top film. One Avengers can pay for a los of expensive (John Carter of Mars?) flops. It also shows how one hit movie can generate enough revenue to save a studio (there are several instances).

And one last thought -- what you linked was to DOMESTIC box office. The percentage of profit generatied by overseas sales has fluctuated over the years (it was HUGE in the silent era), but it's been growing significantly in recent years. Battleship might be a disappointment in the US, but even before it's US rel;ease, it cracked he $200 million mark overseas. I haven't seen recentl, but Avengers topped the $1 billion mark at about the time of its second week of US release.

And, don't forget, Avengers will make another bundle when it's released to DVD and other video outlets next fall.

There is a LOT of money out there.

And one last thought -- what you linked was to DOMESTIC box office. The percentage of profit generatied by overseas sales has fluctuated over the years (it was HUGE in the silent era), but it's been growing significantly in recent years. Battleship might be a disappointment in the US, but even before it's US rel;ease, it cracked he $200 million mark overseas. I haven't seen recentl, but Avengers topped the $1 billion mark at about the time of its second week of US release..
    I found this list linked on my previous link.. not inflation-adjusted: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
    No soup for you!

Finally saw this last night...WOW! Everything everyone has been saying about the movie was 1000% true. Awesome awesome movie! After this movie, I gotta finally watch Hulk, Thor and Iron Man 2, but I think they need to come out with another Hulk movie...he stole the show for me!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Finally saw this last night...WOW! Everything everyone has been saying about the movie was 1000% true. Awesome awesome movie! After this movie, I gotta finally watch Hulk, Thor and Iron Man 2, but I think they need to come out with another Hulk movie...he stole the show for me!
    You'll be disappointed in the Hulk movies and probably Thor. But the Iron Man movies are terrific.

Yes, the Avengers did a great job with the hulk. He was ridiculous. Just a great, fun, action movie all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Reminds me of the movie Daredevil. Michael Clark Duncan was cast as the Kingpin, although in the comics Kingpin was always white. The director was asked about it and said Duncan was the perfect person for the part, with the only consideration being his race being different from the comic version of his character. The director eventually decided that Duncan was right for the part anyway, which was cool. The movie itself was a disappointment, but I liked the casting decision.
    I'm one of the biggest MCD fan out there, but that one has always bothered me. I was also bothered at the time seeing Tommy Lee Jones cast as Two-Face, who has always been an African American character. When I heard about the movie, I immediately assumed that Billy Dee would get the role, as he had played Harvey Dent in the original. You can imagine my disappointment upon seeing a trailer. I had further hoped they would correct this in the new version, but they obviously didn't, casting Aaron Eckhart, who I also like, in the role.