Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    That. Was. Awesome!!! (and awesomely funny)
    Was I right about Hulk vs. Loki being one of the great moments in action movie history or what!?!?! The look on Loki's face. AWESOME!!

I literally could not even talk about that scene without laughing for about 24 hours after I saw the movie. That scene was Whedon at his finest. Monologue = chance to beat you silly.

-Jason "'Hulk, smash,' says Captain America... brilliance!"
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It was everything I hoped for. Whedon nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Was I right about Hulk vs. Loki being one of the great moments in action movie history or what!?!?! The look on Loki's face. AWESOME!!

I literally could not even talk about that scene without laughing for about 24 hours after I saw the movie. That scene was Whedon at his finest. Monologue = chance to beat you silly.

-Jason "'Hulk, smash,' says Captain America... brilliance!"
    yes - hilarious. I actually think Ruffalo plays Banner much better than either Edward Norton or Eric Bana. He has that nerdy scientist shtick down pat.

I did notice the distinct difference in capabilities of Iron Man/Hulk/Thor vs. Cap'n/Natasha/Hawk. It seemed like the latter (in the battle scenes) were much more supporting; helping out civilians and trying to defeat the foot soldiers. I don't know how Cap'n can be the leader of the Avengers when he is far from the most useful member of the team.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I did notice the distinct difference in capabilities of Iron Man/Hulk/Thor vs. Cap'n/Natasha/Hawk. It seemed like the latter (in the battle scenes) were much more supporting; helping out civilians and trying to defeat the foot soldiers. I don't know how Cap'n can be the leader of the Avengers when he is far from the most useful member of the team.
    Leadership is about a lot more than "in game" performance... just ask Tyler Thornton, the unquestioned leader of this last year's Duke team.

-Jason "In the scene where the battle begins, Cap is the one telling everyone what to do -- he's a military vet and knows how to strategically plan" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Leadership is about a lot more than "in game" performance... just ask Tyler Thornton, the unquestioned leader of this last year's Duke team.

-Jason "In the scene where the battle begins, Cap is the one telling everyone what to do -- he's a military vet and knows how to strategically plan" Evans
    Marvel comics seemed to have the leadership role as a fairly consistent theme in their superhero teams.

Cyclops was the leader of the X-Men, and his only power was shooting force beams out of his eyes. On the team with him were Storm (could fly, make it freeze, summon thunder, lightning, the occassional hurricane, and wore a constume that had the power to distract enemies and 14 year old boys), Colossus (basically indestructable unless facing Magneto, super strong), Wolverine (crazy healing power made him pretty indestructable also, nasty claws, nastier temper, cigar breath), and Jean Grey (started out pretty weak, became one of the most powerful beings in the universe, suicidal tendencies). But Cyclops had the all-important steady head in battle.

Reed Richards could stretch. On his team were The Thing (like Colossus, but with rocks, not metal), The Human Torch (can fly, control fire, become supernova hot on demand), and The Incredible Girl (like Jean Grey, started out pretty weak, but added invisible force fields that could be used for offense and defense to her own invisibility power). Again, Reed was probably the weakest in terms of pure fighting power, but he had the brain.

I think Coach K ought to do a course on Leadership and Comics next semester... I might drive to Durham to audit that.

Thumbs up

$200.3 million in the first weekend? Its' an estimate, I know, but wow!, that's a big number for one weekend. I'd say $600 million is very reachable. Saw the movie Sunday afternoon in 2D (3D is not worth the money to me, plus, the glasses suck for one who wears glasses already) and, as many have said, it was great. The scene with Hulk smashing Loki... priceless. I don't recall hearing a burst of laughter from an audience like that very often. Robert Downey, Jr. is so good in the Iron Man roll. I highly recommend this movie... all thumbs up.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Just saw it - and yes, it was awesome. Of course I love and have watched (several times) all of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly/Serenity, so maybe I was predisposed, haha.

Unfortunately I saw it in a theater which included both a crying kid and a young girl next to me who had super flashy LED shoes, so whenever she moved her feet quick enough, it caused a very distracting set of bright lights to appear in my periphery.

I hope everyone stayed for both extra endings! Shawarma! (which I had in Israel and was delicious)

But can someone explain what was going on in the first extra ending? I felt like I missed something...

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    But can someone explain what was going on in the first extra ending? I felt like I missed something...
    A movie news reporter friend of mine, Matt Goldberg, wrote about it here.

The Chitauri leader says that the humans are not to be underestimated, and to face them would be “to court Death itself.” And then the mysterious figure turns his head and we see Thanos, The Mad Titan, smiling.
    -Jason "Thanos is a real comic book geek character" Evans

Saw the movie (although I didn't stick around the for the extra ending and, since I didn't know anything about Thanos, I would have been confused anyway), and I loved it.

I went in knowing a little about it from reading this thread and reviews. My wife went in having watched Thor, Captain America, and the two Iron Man movies. We both had a fantastic time. The action was very satisfying, and the humor was laugh out loud funny at several points. My wife literally doubled over laughing at the Hulk-Loki confrontation.

Agreed with just about everything I've ready on DBR about the movie. Just a good time at the movies, and the Hulk was done perfectly (really highlighting, in a way, how they missed the mark in the two Hulk movies). The Hulk should be like a roller coaster ride - basically mayhem unleashed where you're a little scared of him being unleashed, but at the same time dying in anticipation to see the fit hit the shan when he is. The Hulk-Thor fight was fun, but seeing the Hulk really go wild in the final battle was comic-geek joy.

just got back and totally agree....it was awesome....whedon and zak wrote a great episode and he really put the characters out there for folks to get to know...black widow was my favorite, hulk was my son's and my wife can't decide...(we all played hooky and went for an afternoon matinee....

so, what did hulk say when he walked away from the loki confrontation? he uttered something, but everyone was laughing so loudly, i missed it...

pm me if you think it's a spoiler...

kudos to whedon...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

so, what did hulk say when he walked away from the loki confrontation? he uttered something, but everyone was laughing so loudly, i missed it...
    Believe it was "puny little god" but laughter was loud when I saw the movie as well.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    The Hulks line(after Loki's speech to begin the whole thing of "How dare you! I am a god!...") "Puny god"

Took my 12 year old daughter to see it this evening and we both enjoyed it very much. Agree with everything already said on this Board, but have a question and a comment.

First, I loved seeing the cameo by Harry Dean Stanton. I've loved so many movies that he's been in so it was nice seeing him have a bit part.

Second, I'm not a Marvel comics guy, but is there a known connection between the Tesseract in The Avengers movie/comics and the 1962 book "A Wrinkle in Time" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrink...seract_concept)? That was one of my favorite books growing up so the second they referred to it as a Tesseract I was intrigued by the connection. I can't believe that the use of the identical term is just a coincidence. Is it some kind of shout out or something?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Took the wife and son to see this movie Friday afternoon right after school. Not a very big crowd, I'd estimate maybe 15 people tops. My son, who is 6 years old was bored. He wants a cartoon flick and the sooner the better. My wife enjoyed it a lot. I could tell from her constant laughter that she was really enjoying the flick and that it was a huge step-up for her over Thor. I loved the movie, but then I'm a sci-fi geek who took his new wife to ComicCon 2005.

A fast paced movie with a ton of action, as well as a decent storyline. As a Buffy fan you could see where Joss lifted a couple of ideas from Buffy. The collapse of the SHIELD base looked amazingly just like the end of Sunnydale and Loki's weapon sure looked like the weapon Buffy wielded in Season 7. All in all a really great movie, which was well worth paying full price for.

The trailers for MIB3 and Spiderman looked halfway decent so I'll be keeping an eye on both of those movies.

I decided to rent Thor after seeing the Avengers last weekend. Does anyone have any idea how Loki survived his fall off the bridge? Also I guess we are supposed to assume that Thor found one of those other ways to earth that Hama mentions in the last scene.

Finally, in retrospect, I'm a little surprised there was no mention of Natalie Portman's character in Avengers given the end of Thor.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

... Finally, in retrospect, I'm a little surprised there was no mention of Natalie Portman's character in Avengers given the end of Thor.
    There was a quick scene where they assured Thor that she had been moved overnight to a secluded research facility for her protection.

Enjoyed the movie - won't rush back to see it again. Some strong acting and storyline - but uneven - SLJ can overact with the best/worst of them. Ruffalo did a banner job.

A flying aircraft carrier?

Looking forward to Spidey and Dark Knight

avengers

Finally got to see The Avengers Wednesday afternoon. Overall, I was very pleased with the experience. Just a couple of negatives:

(1) I had to see it in 3-D. Totally annoyning and useless ... the only thing it added to my movie-going experience was an extra $2 on the ticket price.

(2) Just a little confused about the Hulk. Maybe somebody can help me. The leadup is that when Banner becomes the Hulk, he becomes uncontrolled rage ... totally uncontrolable. When he's first activated on the flying carrier, he goes after the good guys, including Black Widow, does a lot of damage and then plunges to earth. But in the final battle, he's totally under control. He's not mindlessly smashing buildings (okay, he smashes them, but always in pursuit of the bad guys) or going after ordinary people or the good guys -- he's totally focused on the bad guys, He even makes two dramatic last-second rescures of fellow team members. The closest thing he does to running amok is that little playfull punch he gives Thor. When Captain America says, "Hulk smash" Hult smashes. Where did all that control come from?

On the other hand, clever dialogue .. good action scenes and some nice characterizations -- Downey as Tony Stark is always a joy ... both Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner were excellent and fleshed out the characters of Black Widow and Hawkeye ... Ruffalo was very good as Bruce Banner and even Chris Evans has improved as an actor since Captain America.

I also loved the cameos -- Harry Dean Stanton is a treat as always, but I also thought the perfect Stan Lee camero. And, I didn't get it until the credits, but loved seeing Jenny Agutter (or at least her shadow) as a member of the World Council. Those of us with long memories will remember Ms. Agutter from such classics as Logan's Run and An American Werewolf in London. I notice that Powers Boothe (Red Dawn, Frailty) was also one of the council members.

Then there was Cobie Smulders. As a How I Met Your Mother fan, I was pleasantly suprised to see the gorgeous brunette play a fairly significant role as Nick Fury's right hand (wo)man.

Man, Smulders ... Johansson ... Paltrow -- nice eye-candy for the male watchers.

PS The flying aircraft carrier was not all that original. The same iidea was used in 2004's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

One thing that still bugs me about The Avengers... Wasn't the whole "open a portal to another dimension and allow baddies in to wreak havoc" thing already done in Transformers 3 just last summer? It just seemed odd that they would reuse a concept that was so recently done. I guess it's difficult to figure out another way for baddies to arrive in large #s to tear up a city without some sort of dimensional portal involved.

And yes, I'm definitely overthinking this one...
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    (2) Just a little confused about the Hulk. Maybe somebody can help me. The leadup is that when Banner becomes the Hulk, he becomes uncontrolled rage ... totally uncontrolable. When he's first activated on the flying carrier, he goes after the good guys, including Black Widow, does a lot of damage and then plunges to earth. But in the final battle, he's totally under control. He's not mindlessly smashing buildings (okay, he smashes them, but always in pursuit of the bad guys) or going after ordinary people or the good guys -- he's totally focused on the bad guys, He even makes two dramatic last-second rescures of fellow team members. The closest thing he does to running amok is that little playfull punch he gives Thor. When Captain America says, "Hulk smash" Hult smashes. Where did all that control come from?
    I may be making excuses for what ultimately probably boils down to a bit of lazy movie scripting, but here goes...

The first time (on the carrier) that Banner goes Hulk, he goes into Hulk mode out of control - he's enraged and kind of loses control to go into Hulk mode. The second time, he makes a conscious decision to go into Hulk mode. That may make it more of a controlled rage.

The very end of the Edward Norton Hulk movie gives some basis for this. Throughout that movie he's fighting to avoid becoming the Hulk, then, of course, becomes the Hulk in uncontrolled-rage fashion. At the very end of the movie he's in meditation, and the movie gives a count of days since "last incident", giving the impression he's working on meditating to avoid going Hulk mode. Then he opens his eyes, the count goes to 0, his eyes are Hulk green, and he smiles, revealing that he's working on learning to control when he goes into Hulk mode and, presumably, keep some control of his actions while in Hulk mode. In watching the Avengers, I presumed his ability to choose to become the Hulk and then control himself as the Hulk was related to that.