Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kelly & Plumlee Named Captains for 2012-13 Season

DURHAM, N.C. - Rising seniors Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee have been named team captains for the 2012-13 season, head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced on Thursday. Kelly was a captain a year ago, while Plumlee is a first-time team captain
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Congrats guys! Hope their leadership takes this team to good places! This past year the captains were Miles, Kelly, and Curry (Curry was named about a month later than the other two).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

Congrats guys! Hope their leadership takes this team to good places! Seth was a co-captain this past year, wasn't he?
    Congrats to those two. It is always interesting to see which seniors are named captains.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

Congrats guys! Hope their leadership takes this team to good places! This past year the captains were Miles, Kelly, and Curry (Curry was named about a month later than the other two).
    It's interesting that unlike Ryan, Seth was not named this go round. (But maybe he'll get named again in a month!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I would have bet money (and lost) on Tyler Thornton being named Team Captain.
    Bob Green

I feel like Mason was a near-lock for captain (guy who passes up the draft to play his senior year? Captain). Kelly being a captain could be some sign of a step forward for him, would love to see him really play on fire this coming year. Has a lot of great tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's interesting that unlike Ryan, Seth was not named this go round. (But maybe he'll get named again in a month!)
    Bob, you haven't lost yet. My guess is the third tri-captain will be named based on which one of these two earns it.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Bob, you haven't lost yet. My guess is the third tri-captain will be named based on which one of these two earns it.
    Sure, sure, but the more important question for the moment is: is this the tallest set of co-captains in Duke basketball history?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    You and me both Bob. I am a bit surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    I am not so sure this will happen this year. K may be sending a message. Perhaps a statement the team will be led by the big men, and the offense will be big man driven.

Congrats to Mason and Ryan. It's their time to lead.

Interesting with Seth -- not sure I recall a junior captain that was not a senior captain.

May be motivation, who knows. Seth is one of my favorites on this team and a big part of how far we go.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Interesting with Seth -- not sure I recall a junior captain that was not a senior captain.

May be motivation, who knows. Seth is one of my favorites on this team and a big part of how far we go.
    Agree with you on all points here... I think the coaching staff was disappointed with the lack of leadership from certain guys during last season. Hopefully that is something that will be a strength this upcoming season. Being named a captain is a great thing but you can still be a good leader for the team without the 'C' on your chest. With the number of years of experience on this roster, I'd like to think we have some guys who have figured a few things out that are not so much about skill. It will be interesting to see

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Not quite what you're looking for, but Greg Paulus was a captain as a Sophomore and not as a Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    Not quite what you're looking for, but Greg Paulus was a captain as a Sophomore and not as a Junior.
    True--though he was a captain again (if a tri-captain) as a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Sure, sure, but the more important question for the moment is: is this the tallest set of co-captains in Duke basketball history?
    Well, I guess that depends on whether Mason is taller than Miles, since the original co-captains last season (before Seth was added) were Miles and Ryan. both Mason and Miles are listed at 6'10"; I don't get to see them in person and don't know for sure whether one is taller.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, I guess that depends on whether Mason is taller than Miles, since the original co-captains last season (before Seth was added) were Miles and Ryan. both Mason and Miles are listed at 6'10"; I don't get to see them in person and don't know for sure whether one is taller.
    I have it on good, inside authority that Mase is at least half a cinder block taller than Miles. I don't know what that means for the basketball team, but it augers well for the football team.

Wow, I can't recall the last time we didn't have a guard as one of our captains. Also we usually have a junior as co-captain, which I assume is done to prepare for the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I am not so sure this will happen this year. K may be sending a message. Perhaps a statement the team will be led by the big men, and the offense will be big man driven.

Congrats to Mason and Ryan. It's their time to lead.
    Naming captains this early?? Definitely seems to be some sort of message. My guess is that it has more to do with leadership than where the offense will be driven...but I do think we need to feed the post A LOT next year.

Front page error. I almost thought for a minute that Miles was really back. "This is no surprise, but seniors Miles Plumlee and Ryan Kelly have been named co-captains for next season."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Wow, I can't recall the last time we didn't have a guard as one of our captains.
    Um, that would be six months ago.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=205275124

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=205324026
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 04-27-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Congrats to Mason and Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeCreed View Post
    Front page error. I almost thought for a minute that Miles was really back. "This is no surprise, but seniors Miles Plumlee and Ryan Kelly have been named co-captains for next season."
    I think that's a direct consequence of Julian's posting at 0-dark-hundred.

-jk