Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

New 2012 Recruiting Thread

Please keep this thread on topic. 2012 recruiting only. Off topic posts will draw infractions and be deleted.

Any of the three set dates to commit yet? I seem to remember Tony is unlikely to be us, Shabazz could be and Amile was more likely. Is that still about right?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    Any of the three set dates to commit yet? I seem to remember Tony is unlikely to be us, Shabazz could be and Amile was more likely. Is that still about right?
    Amile just delayed again, and Shabazz is going to wait until he sees who declares for the draft and who doesn't. Who knows with Parker? None of the 3 have current target dates (specific date) for committing.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Amile just delayed again, and Shabazz is going to wait until he sees who declares for the draft and who doesn't. Who knows with Parker? None of the 3 have current target dates (specific date) for committing.
    Awesome. I guess I wouldn't want to come here until I knew if I was an NBA quality SG that was going to be competing with an already established NBA quality SG that has been huge for the program so far. Parker was so promising at first, but he is still the guy I think could contribute the most (due to what we are lacking/losing). His recent apathy is disheartening. I don't know much about Amile, but what I have seen of him makes me think he is a thin wing player with skill, but a body that may need to develop. I think we have guys with that role already, though. Alex could do what he does and Gbinije has the skills, but needs more confidence. It seems the least likely is the one I want to get the most...

The somewhat odd thing about Amile's recruitment recently (although it certainly doesn't approach the cumulative "oddness" of TP's recruitment) is that we've gone through multiple rounds of "the decision is on the brink". Most recently his Dad indicated that he would decide between last Friday and yesterday - i.e. pretty specific.

He hasn't announced so one needs to wonder if something has changed or come up recently. I presume that his father wouldn't put a clear timeline on the announcement unless they were pretty darn certain which way they were headed with this. The only things I've heard of that have happened recently are a visit back to Temple to tour their facilities, the recent performances of Duke and NCSU in the ACCT, and NCSU's inclusion in the tourney. I have a hard time believing that any of those things would be very impactful on his decision though.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    The somewhat odd thing about Amile's recruitment recently (although it certainly doesn't approach the cumulative "oddness" of TP's recruitment) is that we've gone through multiple rounds of "the decision is on the brink". Most recently his Dad indicated that he would decide between last Friday and yesterday - i.e. pretty specific.

He hasn't announced so one needs to wonder if something has changed or come up recently. I presume that his father wouldn't put a clear timeline on the announcement unless they were pretty darn certain which way they were headed with this. The only things I've heard of that have happened recently are a visit back to Temple to tour their facilities, the recent performances of Duke and NCSU in the ACCT, and NCSU's inclusion in the tourney. I have a hard time believing that any of those things would be very impactful on his decision though.
    Maybe the inclusion of Temple back into the Big East has given him second thoughts? I know the BE is still changing and could be in jeopardy of blowing up; but as of right now, with the inclusion of Memphos and Temple, the BE is still a pretty impressive basketball league even with Syracuse and Pitt leaving. And who knows, maybe NC State is giving one final push to say "here look at us, we made it to the tournament this year and we're going to be better next year. And depending on what Leslie does, you can help up us contend for the ACC and NC next year".

Rasheed

Well, if we have a new 2012 thread, we should include a virtual shout-out to Mr. Sulaimon. Very excited about this young man. So charismatic and well-spoken. I love how he talks about his uber-competitiveness and defensive mindset in this little interview from last fall. Can't wait to see him suit up! Draftexpress Interview

Shabazz to sign April 11

According to this article, Shabazz to sign LOI on April 11 and visit UCLA around April 2 - http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/201...aying-at-ucla/

First of all, thanks to Newton 14 for forcing everybody to get back on the subject of the thread. I wish the mods would do that more in other threads too. The boards would be the better for it.

In any event, from the Department of "Trying to Read Something Significant into an Almost Assuredly Innocuous Comment," Shabazz Muhammad, upon winning the Morgan Wooten National Player of the Year Award, stated, "When you look at the long list of guys who’ve been honored with this award – LeBron James, Dwight Howard,
    Shane Battier – it’s nice to know I’m at a similar phase in my basketball career and I hope to continue with that
    success."

Hopefully there's some significance to his mentioning Shane, who won the award what, maybe 14-15 years ago, when there's any number of more recent winners he could've mentioned in addition to James and Howard.

I know, means nothing. Still.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by enick66 View Post
    According to this article, Shabazz to sign LOI on April 11 and visit UCLA around April 2 - http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/201...aying-at-ucla/
    Pretty interesting. I think it was reported in the old thread that UCLA had lost significant ground in his recruitment, but now it appears they are still in it and may be among his leaders just based on the quotes from his father. Seems to me his father is very involved in his recruitment. Personally, I think the decision should be the player's decision and his alone, but thats just me. I think parents and "handlers" that get too involved can cause recruits to make bad decisions.

Hopefully Shabazz makes the right choice for him and that choice ends up being Duke. He had some really positive things to say about Duke after his official, but something about his recruitment has always led me to believe he'll either be in a Kentucky jersey or a UCLA jersey. Guess we'll see in about 1 month.

Decisions

According to this link, here are the important deadlines relevant to the draft:

April 11-14 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament pre-draft camp
    April 29 Deadline for early entries to declare themselves eligible for the draft.
    May 8 Deadline for NCAA players declaring early to withdraw from the draft.
    May (Date TBD) NBA Draft Lottery held
    May (Date TBD) NBA Draft Combine held in Chicago.
    June 28 2012 NBA Draft held at the Prudential Center.

So if player X is waiting to hear for sure who is staying and leaving before making a commitment, he'd have to wait until after May 8. Is it just me or is that insanely late for a player to decide? Most of these guys will attend summer sessions at the school in which the enroll (at least at Duke most of the guys do that) and I would think that those classes would start right around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    According to this link, here are the important deadlines relevant to the draft:

April 11-14 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament pre-draft camp
    April 29 Deadline for early entries to declare themselves eligible for the draft.
    May 8 Deadline for NCAA players declaring early to withdraw from the draft.
    May (Date TBD) NBA Draft Lottery held
    May (Date TBD) NBA Draft Combine held in Chicago.
    June 28 2012 NBA Draft held at the Prudential Center.

So if player X is waiting to hear for sure who is staying and leaving before making a commitment, he'd have to wait until after May 8. Is it just me or is that insanely late for a player to decide? Most of these guys will attend summer sessions at the school in which the enroll (at least at Duke most of the guys do that) and I would think that those classes would start right around the same time.
    I would imagine that of the schools Shabazz is looking at, the withdrawal deadline will be irrelevant. No one from Duke has ever "tested the waters" and not signed with an agent. K, the rest of the staff, and K's diverse NBA contacts can provide plenty of info on how a player is perceived by NBA scouts. If Austin and Mason declare, they are gone. Similarly, if Michael Kidd-Gilchrist from UK declares, he's going to be a top 10 and potentially top 5 pick. He won't be testing. At both UNLV and UCLA, early departures are completely irrelevant as there's no one on those teams who will be back next year to take shots away from Shabazz. Who knows if he'll actually sign on April 11, but I would imagine that he would likely already have a good picture of who is coming back and who is leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I would imagine that of the schools Shabazz is looking at, the withdrawal deadline will be irrelevant. No one from Duke has ever "tested the waters" and not signed with an agent. K, the rest of the staff, and K's diverse NBA contacts can provide plenty of info on how a player is perceived by NBA scouts. If Austin and Mason declare, they are gone. Similarly, if Michael Kidd-Gilchrist from UK declares, he's going to be a top 10 and potentially top 5 pick. He won't be testing. At both UNLV and UCLA, early departures are completely irrelevant as there's no one on those teams who will be back next year to take shots away from Shabazz. Who knows if he'll actually sign on April 11, but I would imagine that he would likely already have a good picture of who is coming back and who is leaving.
    Yeah, but Cake makes a good point. Even if you look at the date that college kids have to declare -- not withdraw, but declare in the first place -- even that date is several weeks after Bazz's father is indicating he's going to commit. I would think it's unlikely that everyone at places like Kentucky and Duke would have made their intention even to declare known by April 11.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yeah, but Cake makes a good point. Even if you look at the date that college kids have to declare -- not withdraw, but declare in the first place -- even that date is several weeks after Bazz's father is indicating he's going to commit. I would think it's unlikely that everyone at places like Kentucky and Duke would have made their intention even to declare known by April 11.
    I agree--and I think it is worth noting that the coast2coastrecruiting source linked above is actually misreading the LA Times in reporting that Shabazz Muhammad will sign on April 11. The original LA Times story, linked on the DBR homepage, says "Muhammad is expected to make an official visit to UCLA early in April and sign with a school as soon as April 11, the first day of the spring signing period." [Boldface added by me] http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,5771706.story

With the inclusion of "as soon as," all that really says is that he is not expected to sign before that date--which he can't in any case. To rely on this article to claim that he will sign on April 11 is very poor reporting by the coast2coastrecruiting website.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You make a good point. But if you recall, Calipari let Patrick Patterson's decision "slip" soon after the Championship game to help with his lining up recruits for the next season. In fact, I think all 5 UK players declared by April 9th that year. Gerald didn't declare until much later in April, however the writing had been on the wall about his leaving for quite some time. It does seem somewhat strange for him to set April 11th as his LOI date, however. If you wait that long, why not wait just a bit longer to make sure you know exactly who is leaving for the NBA and who is staying?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    You make a good point. But if you recall, Calipari let Patrick Patterson's decision "slip" soon after the Championship game to help with his lining up recruits for the next season. In fact, I think all 5 UK players declared by April 9th that year. Gerald didn't declare until much later in April, however the writing had been on the wall about his leaving for quite some time. It does seem somewhat strange for him to set April 11th as his LOI date, however. If you wait that long, why not wait just a bit longer to make sure you know exactly who is leaving for the NBA and who is staying?
    Yes, it does, and as I noted in my last post, there is, as far as I can tell, NO CREDIBLE EVIDENCE that Shabazz Muhammad has, in fact, set April 11th as his LOI date. The report noted in this thread was based on a misreading of a very noncommittal statement in an LA Times article.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes, it does, and as I noted in my last post, there is, as far as I can tell, NO CREDIBLE EVIDENCE that Shabazz Muhammad has, in fact, set April 11th as his LOI date. The report noted in this thread was based on a misreading of a very noncommittal statement in an LA Times article.
    My apologies for perpetuating it. I misread the original.

Olympics

Can anyone provide the Olympic schedule for USA basketball this summer? When will practices start and how will this play into the pending recruit's intensions? Just how I am thinking if we do not sign anyone else in this class we will be ok. However, we would have to have a heavier recruiting class for '13. From what I understand the coaches were recruiting pretty hard this past year for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I agree--and I think it is worth noting that the coast2coastrecruiting source linked above is actually misreading the LA Times in reporting that Shabazz Muhammad will sign on April 11. The original LA Times story, linked on the DBR homepage, says "Muhammad is expected to make an official visit to UCLA early in April and sign with a school as soon as April 11, the first day of the spring signing period." [Boldface added by me] http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,5771706.story

With the inclusion of "as soon as," all that really says is that he is not expected to sign before that date--which he can't in any case. To rely on this article to claim that he will sign on April 11 is very poor reporting by the coast2coastrecruiting website.
    You're right. I read the LAT article today.

I'm also reading something other than "Shabazz and his dad are all good with UCLA and Howland, post-SI and post-this awful year" that some are interpreting from his dad's words. His father basically says "we're happy for Coach Howland. We're happy for them (UCLA)." Not anything like "we're happy UCLA has decided to keep this excellent coach who we feel a strong connection with and therefore we continue to strongly consider UCLA as a destination for Shabazz." It's more like "they can do what they want. Good for them, but I'm not saying it's gonna make it OK for us."

My gut says I really think Duke only gets the one recruit they already have. I really hope I'm wrong. Seems to me the best recruits Duke could have for 2012-13 are that Mason and Austin look in the mirror and see they could both use another year of playing in college. Mason could have left twice already, and while he has shown improvement this season, his ability to dominate in the paint is still second rate. Austin has shown a lot of improvement over this season but could still use some tweaking. Maybe Austin stays and gets Bazz to come join in! It goes with out saying that Duke could really use a wing of his size and skill level. Let's just hope there is merit in this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...o_Play_At_Duke

Another concern is if Duke only has one scholarship available at this time and no one leaves, does it come down to who commits first?