Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Andre Dawkins - Official Statement from Duke

https://twitter.com/#!/bluedevilnation

We will hear concrete reasons why in the next few days.

Already being reported.

Well this would certainly open things up for sheed at the 2 and perhaps a tad at the 3

edit: wrong played...shabazz=/=sheed
    April 1

All-

On behalf of the moderators, we appreciate that there has been a lot of noise in the twitter-verse and the more traditional rumor mills about Andre Dawkins and potentially redshirting this year. To this point, there hasn't been an official announcement from the school or the player, and none of us really knows what the deal is. Once there is an official announcement - and something concrete to actually talk about - we'll reopen the thread.

Thanks.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Folks, we don't know any of the details, so please leave the speculation out of the discussion, regardless of the thread. Let's give Andre and the team some space.

thanks,

-jk

Andre Dawkins Update(Official Statement from Duke)

Well, that was quick. Back open for discussion.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Matt Christensen red shirted for multiple seasons to finish a chemistry degree.

Perhaps Andre wants the extra year for a real degree? He would be smart not to depend solely on basketball for his future career.

He is only 20 years, ago, so he has that extra year to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Matt Christensen red shirted for multiple seasons to finish a chemistry degree.

Perhaps Andre wants the extra year for a real degree? He would be smart not to depend solely on basketball for his future career.

He is only 20 years, ago, so he has that extra year to spare.
    Matt Christensen redshirted three seasons to complete his Morman mission. He came back and, outside of that interruption, graduated in 4 years.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Be careful what you post here guys. I've seen "duke message boards" quoted twice as "sources" after a google news search on the topic. If Andre has some issues to deal with I feel confident that K and his staff will be fully supportive and fair. Let's hope this clears up soon and in the meantime lets send good vibes Dre's way!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    I appreciate this statement from Duke as the rumors were all over the place this afternoon.
    I hope this gives Dre the respect and privacy now that we have something official. Of course that's always wishful thinking.

I'm really rooting for this kid to succeed no matter what direction he chooses to take in life. He got off to a tough start here at Duke with the family tragedy and I'm sure that weighs heavily on his mind.

Go get 'em Dre! I'll be rooting for you!

That statement leaves out as much as it reveals. Was it written by a politician's press secretary?

Without having any idea what the actual reasons are, I can think of some reasons why this might be a very good idea for Andre. It seems clear he has struggled at times, including the end of this season. A year of practicing without playing might give him a chance to really work on his game, both physically and mentally, without as much pressure in what will remain a pretty crowded back court. Might be a way to get back the maturing time he lost between coming to school early and experiencing a terrible personal tragedy, and a chance for him to work on elevating his game to play at the next level.

EDIT: Thought I would help out the mods by deleting a reference to a post they have deleted.

Second edit: Just want to add that Andre has been one of my favorite Duke players since he arrived and I wish the very best for him. I hope the truth of this situation is something similar to my speculation--that Andre and the coaches are working on developing a plan that will be the best for him, personally and athletically.
    Last edited by MCFinARL; 04-19-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Matt Christensen redshirted three seasons to complete his Morman mission. He came back and, outside of that interruption, graduated in 4 years.
    Ah. My mistake.

Were there any example of past Duke players who red-shirted after freshman year for non-traditional reason such as injury, religion, etc?

If he redshirts, this will make him a true senior in 13-14. I hope he does what is best for him and his situation works out. He's had a tough time at Duke both on and off the court. Best of luck, Andre, with whatever is going on. If it's personal, keep it that way.

It does make things quite different for our rotation next year. I was really hoping it would be a consistent year for Dawkins next year as he can be a brilliant player if he adds some defensive energy and matures out of his 'emotional slumps'.

As most will recall, Andre came to Duke earlier than he had planned; he had been in the high school class of 2010, but finished his requirements and enrolled at Duke in August, 2009. He did that at least partly to help supplement a very thin Duke backcourt rotation. He made some key contributions to that team that won the National Championship.

If he now redshirts and finishes with the 2013-14 season, he would be back with his original fellow recruits Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston.

Don't have any inside info, but this seems like an okay arrangement that may in time benefit both Andre and Duke basketball.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    That statement leaves out as much as it reveals. Was it written by a politician's press secretary?
    I think the point is clear. It is a private, personal matter.

Be very careful what you post in this thread folks. If you want to discuss the impacts to lineups and rotations, that's fine, but please no speculation on why a red shirt may happen. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT our right to know.

Thanks

For me what it comes down to is, Andre is going to do what he needs to do. If there are off the court issues, I hope he gets them resolved (they're more important than basketball). If he wants to spend the year getting better, he must be really dedicated if he's taking a red shirt to get better.

I wish the best for andre whether he red shirts or not, and whatever the reason for the decision may be, I hope andre and the team are better for it.
    April 1

Well it certainly has been an interesting offseason...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Well it certainly has been an interesting offseason...
    The understatement of the decade for us. LOL