Leroy Walker Dies

A great loss for the Durham area. Remember when he brought in the U.S. Pan-Africa games in '72; great moment
    for track and Wallace Wade. A great track coach who will be missed by a lot of people.

The passing of an Icon...

... he will be missed by Durham, NCCU and by the Olympic Movement.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4667186/

WRAL will talk to Dr. Walker's long-time friend, Duke's Coach Al Buehler, during the sports segment of their 6pm newscast tonight.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Leroy Walker was one of the finest men I ever knew. He had a dignity and heart that drew in all around him. He was soft spoken yet powerfully strong. The world was a better place for him having been in it.

Rest in Peace. You earned it, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    A great loss for the Durham area. Remember when he brought in the U.S. Pan-Africa games in '72; great moment
    for track and Wallace Wade. A great track coach who will be missed by a lot of people.
    Thanks for the remembrance from 1972. As high school track athlete, I was in attendance at the Pan-Africa games. Unforgettable...Kip Keino, Miruts Yifter and the incredible Kenyan distance corp was there and performed incredibly. Steve Prefontaine, Pat Matzdorf, et al carried the U.S. banner. My high school track coach knew Al Beuhler and Leroy Walker and we were able to meet them on the Wallace Wade track in 1972. Will never forget it. We all realized, even then as 16-18 year-olds, the stature of Dr. Walker and his place in U.S. Track & Field. What a life and legacy. What a role model. One of our own.

FYI: Services for Dr. Walker will be Tuesday, May 1st, 11:00am at Duke Chapel.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil