Grantland's Shane Ryan's Hilarious Smackdown of Tony Parker's Press Conference

Are those the same guys that did this?

It is long but fairly entertaining

http://tobaccoroadblues.com/2012/04/...st-matt-jones/

I wish the events of 37:18 really happened....

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Are those the same guys that did this?

It is long but fairly entertaining

http://tobaccoroadblues.com/2012/04/...st-matt-jones/
    Yep, same guy (Shane Ryan).

Thank god...

As with Harrison Barnes, I am SO glad that this kid went somewhere other than Duke. This is not the kind of individual we want associated with the program, where teamwork is valued over self aggrandization.

If Parker had picked Duke after all that, would Coach K have taken him?

Quote Originally Posted by Lennies View Post
    If Parker had picked Duke after all that, would Coach K have taken him?
    Serious question(s): has anyone ever pulled off what would be deemed an over-the-top announcement and committed to Duke? Or is this only a recent fad and thus too small a sample size?

Similarly, is it possible that K would say something to the effect that "if you commit to us that means no confetti, ticker-tape parade, choreographed flash mob, etc"? (Maybe not)

Or is it more likely that players that want to play at Duke probably are also the type of people that don't want confetti, parades, and choreographed dance sequences in their dedication?

- Chillin

In some ways, I feel bad for Tony Parker. There is no way to live up to his own hype, even if it is self generated.

As a dad, one of the things I'm gonna to try hard to teach me kids is not to overestimate their own importance to the rest of the world. Tony Parker is but one of many who has fallen prey to that indulgence.

NBA Players as Role Models

Charles Barkley: "I'm not a role model."

I get what he was saying in general ("Parents, it's up to YOU, not us..."), but whether they like it or not, professional athletes ARE MOST DEFINITELY role models.

These kids are simply creating their own little "Lebron James/The Decision" moments at their own peril. Hell, the media does a good enough job setting unrealistic expectatations for these kids to meet. Now the kids are turning the volume knob to "Eleven" on their own hype. Good luck living up to it!

By "Lebroning," the kids set it up to where if they become a superstar, they will have MET expectations. Really no way to exceed them. Just not smart.

-MJ

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    In some ways, I feel bad for Tony Parker. There is no way to live up to his own hype, even if it is self generated.

As a dad, one of the things I'm gonna to try hard to teach me kids is not to overestimate their own importance to the rest of the world. Tony Parker is but one of many who has fallen prey to that indulgence.
    Same thoughts, different post, totally agreed. Why, why, WHY would you do that to yourself? As if there isn't ENOUGH pressure on you? Okay, he's a kid and may not know better. But please, someone in his circles step in and stop him.

Lordy.

-MJ

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Serious question(s): has anyone ever pulled off what would be deemed an over-the-top announcement and committed to Duke? Or is this only a recent fad and thus too small a sample size?

Similarly, is it possible that K would say something to the effect that "if you commit to us that means no confetti, ticker-tape parade, choreographed flash mob, etc"? (Maybe not)

Or is it more likely that players that want to play at Duke probably are also the type of people that don't want confetti, parades, and choreographed dance sequences?

- Chillin
    Tony is not the only one to blame for that extravaganza of a press conference but the Wojo comment is all on him.

More likely coach K would have already told him not to come after those comments, without fanfare so as not to embarrass the young man or fuel the Duke myths. Just a personal opinion, no insider knowledge.

We have to remember these are just kids and they make mistakes. Reggie Bullock seems to have learned from his. Maybe this big kid will mature along the way too.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Tony is not the only one to blame for that extravaganza of a press conference but the Wojo comment is all on him.

More likely coach K would have already told him not to come after those comments, without fanfare so as not to embarrass the young man or fuel the Duke myths. Just a personal opinion, no insider knowledge.

We have to remember these are just kids and they make mistakes. Reggie Bullock seems to have learned from his. Maybe this big kid will mature along the way too.
    I was kinda hoping K told him not to come after ridiculous comments about Duke developing big men. Even if you're thinking that, to say it in the press is horrific judgment. He's not the only one to blame for this foolishness, but he's certainly to blame...

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

Or is it more likely that players that want to play at Duke probably are also the type of people that don't want confetti, parades, and choreographed dance sequences in their dedication?

- Chillin
    Not Duke but MANY other schools. And it's been going on quite a while.

I'm shocked that no one has compared Tony's decision to Jimmy Clausen's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLBlf1GifGk

Just look at all the parallels...

Quote Originally Posted by Meal Jar View Post
    Why, why, WHY would you do that to yourself? As if there isn't ENOUGH pressure on you? Okay, he's a kid and may not know better. But please, someone in his circles step in and stop him.
    I've posted elsewhere a similar opinion about Barnes. Having had some experience with young people whose self-importance borders on self-obsession, stepping in is the right thing to do, but not easily undertaken, even by an adult, and because so delicate, not always successful. You sure can't just say, "Get over yourself." Makes a good put-down line, but the psychological/personality issues probably won't be altered by so direct and brusque an approach. Even a subtle approach requires an adult in the circle actually to recognize the danger.

Because of how things went with Barnes - the continued and continual self-promotion - I did find him an interesting study. I didn't see anything this off-putting coming from Parker, although I suppose in retrospect the several delays might have been some signal. I thought, and think, him a promising player. His bumbling public comments in the past month or two about Duke didn't quite jibe with the rather pleasant fellow I heard interviewed some months back.

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    I was kinda hoping K told him not to come after ridiculous comments about Duke developing big men. Even if you're thinking that, to say it in the press is horrific judgment. He's not the only one to blame for this foolishness, but he's certainly to blame...
    Ideally, Coach K would have shown up at the ceremony and somewhere early in the (long) proceedings, gone up and snatched the "Duke" hat from those on the table, said "No way" and walked out.

Just my hunch, but the proliferation of offers that quickly followed for the 2013 class was at least in part motivated by the drawn-out experience with TP.